Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 04:15 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Ha, that's what I was thinking as well. You read an article like Sweech posted and think, "man, Zadorov would be great here." And then you read about Jones, or Macinnon, or Drouin, or Barkov, or Monahan, or ......., and think ," man, all of these guys would be great here!"
Yea Huffer that's exactly it....sometimes there is a bit of false hype but I really don't think that's the case this year. look at last years top 6 picks or even the year befores top 6 and tell me if they are even remotely close to this year?

Last edited by ps241: 02-20-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Late firsts aren't tossed around like candy. And you can be sure it's not a 10-15th place team that's going to be trading for them.

Hainsey has been pretty awesome this year, if we aren't re signing him, a 1st would be a good haul. Antropov is probably too slow to fetch more than a third IMO.
paul gausted gets you a late first.

I' would hope hainsey by himself gets you a late first.

I'd be fine with that, IF it was apparent he wouldn't be resigning here and we were where we are in the standings now at the trade deadline. If there's a 50 - 50 chance he resigns here, no way do i ship him. there is not much of an upgrade available via UFA this off season

Antro, who's criminally underrated IMO, is the more replaceable of the two. I'd expect more then a third for him but who knows. I'd have less issues shipping him out then hainsy, but even then it really does weaken our third line considerably, though Wright is showing himself capable in that position.

Essentially i know what value gets placed and what gets traded for late firsts, generally good third liners/rentals, i just mean that maintininig/ having the opportunity at resigning a veteren #4-5 D man for several years is worth more to me then a 20% chance dice roll on getting a top 6 player 3+ years away.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

I'd be fine with that, IF it was apparent he wouldn't be resigning here and we were where we are in the standings now at the trade deadline. If there's a 50 - 50 chance he resigns here, no way do i ship him. there is not much of an upgrade available via UFA this off season

Antro, who's criminally underrated IMO, is the more replaceable of the two. I'd expect more then a third for him but who knows. I'd have less issues shipping him out then hainsy, but even then it really does weaken our third line considerably, though Wright is showing himself capable in that position.

Essentially i know what value gets placed and what gets traded for late firsts, generally good third liners/rentals, i just mean that maintininig/ having the opportunity at resigning a veteren #4-5 D man for several years is worth more to me then a 20% chance dice roll on getting a top 6 player 3+ years away.
I think we're in agreeance Grindy. I mean I'd love to get a first for a deadline rental, and it's definitely happened in the past. With all the hype around this draft, we'd really have to find a perfect storm where Antro and/or Hainsey

A) fill a need
B) the team is going for it this year like Nashville last year
C) the player fits the teams system

Here's to hoping it works out well.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Bob E

There really are very good young players in the top 10 of this year's draft. And you never know who falls or is taken early.

A guy that hasn't been talked about too much is Nichushkin. Depending on who you believe, he's supposed to be the next Rick Nash, or to some degree, Malkin. Jump way up in the latest ISS ranking. His passport may scare some teams, but i can see him going high too.

Should be a very interesting draft. You may see more movement during the draft, as teams will feel their player will be available later, allowing other teams to move up to grab who they want. With greater depth, there may be more movement early, depending on who teams really want.

Multiple picks (like Columbus) would be outstanding.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

I find Hainsey and Antropov to be very similar. They're both bottom half players that can slide into your top half in a pinch. This adds exponentially to their value IMO as they're the best depth players you can have. Injuries have much less effect on a team when you have players like this, very important for contending teams.

Both also carry a wide amount of versatility. Antropov can play RW and C, while Hainsey can play both defensive spots. Again this should add quite a bit to their value.

This is also why I have a hard time considering trading either one. I don't think there's a similar player that's going to be left wide open during the free agent market (even though both are UFA's themselves, I expect somebody to lock them up). I do lean more towards keeping Antropov over Hainsey however. I think our forward core needs more help than the defensive core. If our defense could ever stay healthy we'd almost forget Hainsey existed. Plus Antropov seems to add more to the PP and PK than Hainsey, which they both play on (Yay! more value).

The Gaustad comparison is a tough one though. Nashville overpaid for Gaustad and I think everyone knows it. Just like Chicago having to sell off everything, they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Nashville wanted to make a big cup run and had key players (Weber, Suter, and Rinne) that would be making more money the next season and really felt like they needed that big shutdown center and Gaustad was pretty much the only one on the market. The price was a 1st and it was just on the cusp of being do able.

I do think that it's possible we can find teams during the deadline who could possible pay a low 1st each for Antropov or Hainsey. I do however hope we retain one of them and trade the other.

This is going to be a really interesting deadline. With the cap ceiling dropping next year there may be more Nashville-like teams looking to win the cup NOW and willing to overpay. There may however also be eliminated teams with rosters too cap heavy that need to sell-off and will therefore also flood the trade market. Going to be interesting that's for sure, I hope Chevy can capitalize in some way.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I know we want to be a big team that is tough to play against but I would take Jonathan Drouin in a heartbeat (if we ever got a shot). To me he could easily be a Claude Giroux or Patrick Kane level player and every team can use a dynamic playmaking guy like that and the kids compete level is off the charts. He is listed at 5'11" so he is not tiny either.

I know the big centre or #1 D man argument but this kid is as dynamic a junior for his age as I have seen in a while.
I agree ps241. The guy seems to be a special talent.

I also agree with the assessment by others that the greatest need for the team is a true #1 C. If you can't trade for one, or get one in FA, they you have to draft one, i see that logic.

That's sort of why i see going after ROR now is worth a great deal, and it may cost you a current core guy, but that may be okay. ROR could be a consistent 20+g/40+a/60++ pt C that plays PK and PP, bangs bodies and might be the future captain one day. To me, only Bogo, Kane, Trouba, Scheifele and 2013 1st rd pick would be untouchable, right now in a deal. If you could get a player like ROR now, for say, Little (or Burmi) and Postma, that completely opens up draft day options, no? Grab him - then does it matter who we draft?

Meaning, though most folks want BPA, they really seem to want BPA - who will be a #1C. Teams do that too, not just fans. But, having someone like ROR in the fold, wouldn't Drouin, Jones, Zadorov, or anyone look great? And then there are people who will say Burmi might just be as good as ROR one day. Give the kid a bit more time. Which might be true.

So, I guess what i'm trying to say is, pick BPA at the draft. Things can change so much from year to year, depending on who is available via trade or FA, that you take the best guy that fits your team (hard work, character, etc, etc.). And the more picks we can get (hopefully as high as we can) for UFAs, the better, imo.

If they pick very high, i'll always go for ungodly skill. That just doesn't seem to be available very often and is so hard to find. To find skill, determination, will to compete, and being on a crazy step development curve, well that's even rarer. Drouin works for me.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post

I also agree with the assessment by others that the greatest need for the team is a true #1 C. If you can't trade for one, or get one in FA, they you have to draft one, i see that logic.

That's sort of why i see going after ROR now is worth a great deal, and it may cost you a current core guy, but that may be okay. ROR could be a consistent 20+g/40+a/60++ pt C that plays PK and PP, bangs bodies and might be the future captain one day. To me, only Bogo, Kane, Trouba, Scheifele and 2013 1st rd pick would be untouchable, right now in a deal. If you could get a player like ROR now, for say, Little (or Burmi) and Postma, that completely opens up draft day options, no? Grab him - then does it matter who we draft?

Meaning, though most folks want BPA, they really seem to want BPA - who will be a #1C. Teams do that too, not just fans. But, having someone like ROR in the fold, wouldn't Drouin, Jones, Zadorov, or anyone look great? And then there are people who will say Burmi might just be as good as ROR one day. Give the kid a bit more time. Which might be true.

So, I guess what i'm trying to say is, pick BPA at the draft. Things can change so much from year to year, depending on who is available via trade or FA, that you take the best guy that fits your team (hard work, character, etc, etc.). And the more picks we can get (hopefully as high as we can) for UFAs, the better, imo.

If they pick very high, i'll always go for ungodly skill. That just doesn't seem to be available very often and is so hard to find. To find skill, determination, will to compete, and being on a crazy step development curve, well that's even rarer. Drouin works for me.
Great post Bob E.

As a guy who likes Burmi, let me just say that I totally understand your reasoning. And if a Burmi for ROR deal went down, while I would be sad, that would definitely be mitigated if ROR brought everything that you mention in your post and what Avs fans say he can do.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 415
Quote:
There really are very good young players in the top 10 of this year's draft. And you never know who falls or is taken early.

A guy that hasn't been talked about too much is Nichushkin. Depending on who you believe, he's supposed to be the next Rick Nash, or to some degree, Malkin. Jump way up in the latest ISS ranking. His passport may scare some teams, but i can see him going high too.

Should be a very interesting draft. You may see more movement during the draft, as teams will feel their player will be available later, allowing other teams to move up to grab who they want. With greater depth, there may be more movement early, depending on who teams really want.

Multiple picks (like Columbus) would be outstanding.
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading he signed a 3 year deal to play in the KHL. If that's the case that adds to the Russian factor. He might be a great player, but if there are comparable options available I go with one of those.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

I like ROR a lot too, but it is worth noting that nobody has pulled the trigger yet. There has to be a reason. There may be issues related to him dictating his destination or perhaps Col is being a little ruthless in their asking price. Doing the deal now may not be an option.

I could also see the Avs proving a point here. They aren't a playoff team with or without him and they may find satisfaction in making him sit. It won't hurt his value. Bite the bullet, make him sit, trade him on draft day.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:14 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I like ROR a lot too, but it is worth noting that nobody has pulled the trigger yet. There has to be a reason. There may be issues related to him dictating his destination or perhaps Col is being a little ruthless in their asking price. Doing the deal now may not be an option.

I could also see the Avs proving a point here. They aren't a playoff team with or without him and they may find satisfaction in making him sit. It won't hurt his value. Bite the bullet, make him sit, trade him on draft day.
This makes some sense. Having ROR available to trade on draft day gives a team a lot of options. Though my guess is he will be dealt before the trade deadline.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Bob E

Colorado may wait until the draft to move ROR especially if they are not in (or close to) a playoff spot at the trade deadline.

Also, teams may be willing to give up multiple picks and prospects depending on how the draft goes and the player(s) the Avs like being available, etc. The longer the season goes with ROR not being moved or playing - seems to make more sense a draft day trade is done.

Also I think I read somewhere ROR has an out-clause from his KHL contract to play in NHL.

Last edited by Bob E: 02-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
JetsHomer

He's not even playing in the KHL right now.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
He's not even playing in the KHL right now.
Right. He came back in January, thinking something would be worked out with Avs, but left to door open to go back to KHL. If he went back to KHL, I'm not sure if that's a new deal or what the conditions are with his current deal.

If someone knows, do tell.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Right. He came back in January, thinking something would be worked out with Avs, but left to door open to go back to KHL. If he went back to KHL, I'm not sure if that's a new deal or what the conditions are with his current deal.

If someone knows, do tell.
It was terminated.

More by Magnitogorsk if I'm not mistaken. KHL transfer period ended in 31st Jan and Magnitka wasn't sure if O'Reilly would sign this season with NHL club so they terminated that deal. ROR also suffered some minor injury there.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
JetsHomer

Drouin is unreal. 89 points in 41 games. 20 more than Mackinnon in the same amount of games.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Drouin is unreal. 89 points in 41 games. 20 more than Mackinnon in the same amount of games.
Wow has he ever pulled ahead. Could have sworn last i checked they were close to being tied.

02-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Mooche

Quote:
I really think you're winning the lottery with either one, but as of right now, I really like what Drouin brings to the table.

Strong skater, great vision, and he has deceptive lower body strength.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:37 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachy Goj View Post
Wow has he ever pulled ahead. Could have sworn last i checked they were close to being tied.
MacKinnons been hurt for awhile and Drouin is busting out three point nights almost every game.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
JetsHomer

Drouin 4 points tonight. Goal and three primary assists. He runs Halifaxs powerplay and is lethal from the halfwall. Would love him here, but doubt we finish low enough.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
I don't even know how to describe this shift......

Old
02-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I don't even know how to describe this shift......

Yep, I saw this earlier today. Unbelievable. I think I take him over McKinnon, position be damned. I haven't decided if he's ahead of Jones yet though.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Boreal

I would give up a lot to get a pick in the top 4 this year. I think Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon and Barkov are going to be phenomenal players. While below those 4, I really like Lindholm and Zadorov as well. Nichushkin, while a risk remains, is a player I would love to have in the Jets system.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

No doubt Drouin has the talent. Wouldn't he be something special to watch him in a Jets jersey.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
No doubt Drouin has the talent. Wouldn't he be something special to watch him in a Jets jersey.

Problem is the JETS are doing their best impersonation of the FLAMES and will be picking in the 10 - 14 range. Good enough just to miss out, but not bad enough to reap the benefits that this draft has to offer.

Sure they should get a solid player, but what they need is a dynamic game changer. By the time their pick rolls around Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, Zadorov, Nichushkin and Monahan will likely all be gone.

Right now, I predict the draft order will be something like this ....

1 Buffalo
2 Columbus
3 Florida
4 Colorado
5 NYI
6 Washington
7 Calgary
8 Edmonton
9 Carolina
10 Winnipeg

Old
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM