HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Senior In High School Starting?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Islesfan24

vCash: 500
Senior In High School Starting?

Hey there guys. I am a Junior in HS who wants to finally play some serious hockey. My school has a loose club team where they only practice a couple times a week and aren't very good. It is a golden opportunity for a newbie like me to get his legs moving so that in college, he can have some fun with an intramural league or even club team.
A few questions...
1. Is it too late??
2. How do I convince my parents who say "I am not in physical condition for it" I would work my ass off but I am not sure how to convince them. Plus, I am 5'9" 167 pounds. I run an 8:50 mile.
3. Costs- I need a full set of pads and at least 3 sticks and a pair of skates... PLUS I would have to pay for the league.
4. Any recommendations on equipment for starters (Not willing to spend over 400 dollars)

Thanks so much to any responses, I definitely wanna go knock some heads.

Islesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
vapor11

No it is not too late..I would get some skates and look into skating lessons first if your an absolute beginner tho

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
AIREAYE

Brilliant! I started ice hockey a year younger than you, so this brings back some of my memories haha.

It's not too late! With a fair amount of skating practice and time on the ice, you'll be able to at least keep up and have fun. Your parent's reasoning is...odd. Hockey is a sport and a means of healthy exercise. How can you improve your physique in any way if you don't play? Haha though I'm sure you know that.

For advice on gear, check out the stickied threads above. The Noob Chronicles have plenty of excellent advice that I would essentially be repeating, so check that as well! If you do a search for something along the lines of 'new player' etc. you are sure to find plenty of good threads. The thing I find about HFBoards over the years is that it's very beginner-friendly and practical.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
JaeTM

No it's never too late to start playing. If you've never played before and want to play Varsity, then yeah, you may not make the team, but it's never too late to start playing.

Why do you need 3 sticks though?

You might be able to squeeze all your equipment under $400 but it's going to be tough especially since skates, a stick, and a helmet are pretty expensive.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I started at age 23. I wish I started in high school. Would make a ton of difference to start early when you have the most time to work on your game. Won't have much of that after you're done with school.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Islesfan24

Thanks for all the replies! It is a loose club team that really doesnt cut anybody and is actually begging me to play (cuz i am breathing hockey)
The goal is to learn for senior year so that in college i can play on a club or intramural team. Thanks again guys

Islesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan24 View Post
Thanks for all the replies! It is a loose club team that really doesnt cut anybody and is actually begging me to play (cuz i am breathing hockey)
The goal is to learn for senior year so that in college i can play on a club or intramural team. Thanks again guys
You'll be fine. Like AIREAYE pointed out, the Noob Chronicles a pretty good read.

Be sure to check out some tutorials on Youtube and make good use of your coach, because once you're out of high school classes will cost money.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:23 AM
American in Paris

Play it Again Sports or a similar store that sells used equipment is the way to go.

You can graduate to top of the line gear later in life when you've got a real job.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:54 AM
ejams

I can tell you that stick handling on dry land with obstacles is great practice for your hand eye/dekes.

I used to stick handle with my orange ball through the tiny little forest(dodging trees and keeping the ball away from ruts and over logs and around trees etc.) by my house and I went from Taylor Hall(crap handles) to Pavel Datsyuk(puck on a string) in a few months of doing that 4 hours a night.

You will get blisters on your hands if you are doing it right.

Until you develop a good shot, sliding the puck towards the opposite back-post off the backhand is a high percentage shot against the average high school tender. You are going to beat them five hole easily. If you can't go backhand aim low blocker side, that was my go to shot in AA hockey.

PS: Never pass across the slot in your own zone when there is pressure. The boards are your friends and you will learn this.

Last edited by ejams: 02-21-2013 at 04:00 AM.
ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Hooah4

Congratulations! It's never too late to start.

I'm a JV coach who this year had the pleasure of teaching 2 grade 11, 1 grade 10, 1 grade 9, and 2 grade 8 players. They had no ice skating experience (non organized roller only) and were as raw as they come.
1. Skate, skate, skate. Every chance you get. You get nowhere in the game without that. Learning to stop is a must.
2. Have patience with yourself
3. Learn from those around you
4. Remember that everyone on the team has a purpose. Work on the little things that you can control, the rest will come with time.
5. Listen to your coach - he can help you a lot
6. Learn to keep your head up and on a swivel.
7. The game looks slower from the stands than it is on the ice. Take some time to observe what happens away from the play when other teams play
8. If you love the game it'll eventually love you back

Much of what everyone has said above is true

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Try to find a group of people who play shinny. Develop more skills here than anywhere at the level you'll play.

Not too late, Skate selection is the most important for your gear, make sure those aren't what you go cheap on

Christmas Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote