HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rozsival,Sykora and rookie camp

Old
07-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I don't remember any ones in recent memory, that's why it struck me as quite suprising.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
And Sykora isn't happy how he was used? Does he want to be first line RW somewhere? Good luck, Pal.
Obviously, I agree, but to not even try Sykora at the point on the PP was a surprise to me. It's not like someone else was doing a great job up there.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Fletch

That's a primary reason...

why this team landed Ozolinsh (and the fact that the Ducks were willing to let him off to someone willing take on his salary). Rucinsky was tried there (and I thought he was average at best).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 12:27 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I was surprised too that Sykora didn't really get a chance at the point, at least before Ozo was acquired. But I understand his reasons for leaving; he'd be hard pressed to find more minutes at RW with Jagr on the team. And now with Shanahan on board, Sykora isn't even the first option on LW.

But I don't know where he'll sign to find 1st-line RW minutes. Maybe Chicago on a line with Havlat? I'm not familiar enough with other teams' depth charts on the right side to see where he'd play. Seems like Philly could use some scoring wingers, but he'd be behind Knuble I'd think.

EDIT: lol, I didn't even notice that JOrtmeyer41 made a thread about Sykora to Chicago before I wrote this. So maybe I'm right!

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 12:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think that Sykora would greatly help his cause if he had a little better numbers. He begged out of Anaheim to come to NY. Raved about being a Ranger. Now he doesn't like how he was used. Maybe it's you Pete.

07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Fletch

Didn't he rave about the Rangers...

at the end of the season too and expressed a desire to return? His agent's saying the right things, but I thought he wanted to come back to NY as late as the end of the season.

Old
07-13-2006, 01:36 PM
DutchShamrock

Jon, I'm not trying to trumpet Corvo and Pothier as equals or better than Rozsival. But they are UFA and that should make a difference. Maybe it doesn't in the NHL this offseason but as others have stated, we aren't willing to pay him those numbers right now. He is replacable within the organization. The payments for these UFA defensemen are ridiculous and it makes one wonder exactly why there was a lockout (especially with the hardliners some of the most guilty here).

Still, if Corvo and Pothier are so bad, why did they get more points than Rozsival bringing up the rear on one of the best lines last year? And $2.5-3m for another potential half-season effort?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 04:21 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think that Sykora would greatly help his cause if he had a little better numbers. He begged out of Anaheim to come to NY. Raved about being a Ranger. Now he doesn't like how he was used. Maybe it's you Pete.
Oh, it's definitely Sykora. In fact, I think it's anyone the Rangers feel contributed the failure in the playoff. Any coincidence that the Rangers are bringing in players with playoff success (and hopefully another soon.) I'm sure part of the reason Rozsival is getting the cold shoulder now from the Rangers is because they feel both he and Malik were exposed in the Devil series.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 04:38 PM
eco's bones

One of the things with Sykora I've heard is that he wants a long term deal. Considering how he finished the season a contract of that sort for any large amount of money would be ill advised. That is again why I'd prefer Rucinsky over him although apparently Martin wanted more than one year (which to me is a deal breaker)--I don't want us getting bogged down long term on contracts to complimentary forwards or d-men--especially ones that disappear now and again.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
schmittkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I remember we were in one a few years ago in Kitchener, Ontario.
The last one was in September 2001, right before 9/11. They played against the rookies from Toronto, Boston and Carolina.

I remember the guys that stood out for me were Blackburn, Hollweg, Tyutin, Leonid Zvachin(?), Filip Novak, Rory Rawlyk, Garth Murray, and Benoit Dusablon.

I also remember Colton Orr was there for Boston and played a mean game.

schmittkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 09:18 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Joe Corvo: 40 pts, 38 PIMs; Brian Pothier: 35 pts, 59 PIMs; Michal Rozsival: 30 pts 90 PIMs.

I blame him for wanting the same. First off, these guys are UFA. Second, they got their points despite not getting first line minutes. Corvo had just a few minutes less per game, but he wasn't really out there with their top guys. Rozsival spends the entire game with Jagr and he gets a handful of points. I also listed PIMs, because we know how Rozsival gots his. Even if Pothier and Corvo take lame hooking and interference calls every game (which isn't the case) they at least do it less frequently. At this point, they should force him to take the QO and go UFA next year. He has had one good NHL season and to look for that kind of money pre UFA is silly. Go earn it.

And Sykora isn't happy how he was used? Does he want to be first line RW somewhere? Good luck, Pal.
THANK YOU.

Someone who finally acknowledges that Rozsival is overrated, and got his points from playing with Jagr's line.

Look at that, 2nd and 3rd pairing guys, getting top pairing points with 2nd and 3rd pairing minutes.

Gotta love how bad Rozsival really sucks.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Gretz -- To say that Rozsival sucks and to compare him with an absolutely attrotious player such as Corvo (who is, in all reality, NO better than Andy Delmore and about 10 notches below Tom effin Poti) is ridiculous.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:01 PM
94now

I think Sather blames the Olympics for April's meltdown. He gives a hard time to the Olympians, like Sykora, Tyutin and others by keeping them unsigned deep in the summer so they would get a message. He may still sign Sykora. I do not listen to agents. Lying is a big part of their job.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I think Sather blames the Olympics for April's meltdown. He gives a hard time to the Olympians, like Sykora, Tyutin and others by keeping them unsigned deep in the summer so they would get a message. He may still sign Sykora. I do not listen to agents. Lying is a big part of their job.
Tyutin is a RFA without arbitration rights. By league rules, he was sent a contract (with if I'm not mistaken a 10% increase) that he either signs or not. If he doesn't sign the contract and the Rangers are not willing to bargain with him (and they have no obligation to bargain with him--they already fulfilled their requirements under the CBA), he has two options, sign the contract, or play in Europe.

How can Sather "give him a hard time" because he played in the Olympics?

As for Sykora, it was pretty obvious that Renney et al weren't thrilled with his play for whatever reason. He rarely got more than 15 minutes of ice time (if that) during a game and very little quality time on the powerplay. It can be argued that the coaching staff didn't use Sykora well, but it can also be argued that Sykora didn't make the most of his ice time either. And given the fact that he's looking for a long term contract, he just doesn't fit with the "plan."

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 07-14-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Fletch

I don't recall...

Sykora being in the Olympics.

As for Tyutin - they're exercising their rights under the CBA, and in a cap era, watching pennies could prove to be a smart thing. I don't know if Tyutin deserves a raise from last season anyways. He still needs to prove himself out there.

Old
07-14-2006, 02:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Sykora being in the Olympics.
He wasn't. For that matter, neither was Rozsival.

I also don't understand why Sather would show his alleged displeasure with the Olympics by being difficult with a player who played in the Olympics. He signed Straka already.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-14-2006 at 02:28 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He wasn't. For that matter, neither was Rozsival.

I also don't understand why Sather would show his alleged displeasure with the Olympics by being difficult with a player who played in the Olympics. He signed Straka already.
Yeah that makes no sense at all.. lets punish our players for playing for their country in a global-traditional 4 year event ... that'll teach them!

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-14-2006 at 02:28 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Fletch

I personally like the way Sather's thinking...

while I may not agree with every move, I believe he recognized that the team needed work from last year and that other teams have gotten better and he needed to change some things up. Sykora had nice numbers, but as I mentioned in another post, there's more to the game than numbers. If he ultimately signs him, I'd assume it's a result of him not being able to find something better - which is fine, but I think the team already has better than Sykora right now, so hopefully he doesn't get signed.

Old
07-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Kostik

There is small interview with Rich Winter about Rozsival. It seems that Sather is interested only in long term deal(3 years 2M$ per), Rozsival wants 2,5M$ for one year...Rozsival didn't accept Sather's offer but he is not looking for arbitration also
Winter doesn't think that Rozsival will play for Rangers.

It's in czech, so don't bother
http://hokej.idnes.cz/bek-rozsival-v...145956_nhl_cig

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:23 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Rozsival and Sykora are both worth no more than $2.5 million in my opinion. I don't see why the organization is being so cheap. We have about 7 million to spend and not many spots on the roster to fill. If you want Rozsival and/or Sykora, open the bank a little more, throw them $500k more and get them signed before they go to a division opponent.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:50 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
I don't see why the organization is being so cheap.
They are not cheap. Hopefully they are just seeing these two as completely unnecessary. And as such, why spend top dollar? And in Rozsival's case, he is an RFA, not a UFA.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
They are not cheap. Hopefully they are just seeing these two as completely unnecessary. And as such, why spend top dollar? And in Rozsival's case, he is an RFA, not a UFA.
Agreed, TB. If one comes back it's not AWFUL, but I'd prefer that they let 'em both go.

If both come back, I'll be .

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Dallas will participate in an eight-team rookie camp Sept. 8-12 in Traverse City, Mich. Among the players expected to attend are: Tobias Stephan, Vadim Khomitski, Niklas Grossman, Vojtech Polak, and James Neal
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....12399910.html

This must be the rookie tournament the Rangers will be participating in

8 teams
In Michigan
In early September

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I will be attending the Rookie Tournament in Traverse City from Sept 8-12th, and will be reporting on it for HF.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If MSG can show the friggin Knicks summer league games no reason why they can't put the rookie camp games on.

MSG is dying for programing and it beats those stupid "vault" shows that are on.

The vault shows are good because it shows how badly the Garden has been run since Dolan took over.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote