HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 09:35 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
We should use the 2012-2013 numbers.

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Ma...DMA_Ranks2.pdf

Old
02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Updated post for 2013 numbers, thanks

Old
02-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
Finally, i love that Dallas tv rating for Stars.. however, we must face it. the only reason it's up 94% is because after 10 games last yr in OCT and NOV, stars were up against Rangers world series, Cowboys, and college.. this last month had none of that. so the 1.0 is not nearly impressive as you all might think.

In the Mavs 1.7 avg this yr, they went up against college and Cowboys
The fact that anyone is watching this team, at this point, is a pure miracle.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
02-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Nicky Santoro

i am actually very disappointed with this rating. Nothing else was on tv, no nba, nothing.. and 4 big markets were playing and it was advertised on twitter throughout the day as Hockey Day in America. i expected much better. PIT/BUF was actually down from last yr...oh well

From Twitter

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR

LA-Chi (1.3overnight) up 30pct vs last yrs 2nd #hockeyday gm (1.0). Pit-Buf did 1.3, down tick vs regional coverage that did 1.4 last year

Chicago market delivered a 6.7, the market’s best ever rating for the NHL regular season on NBC, excluding Winter Classics (since 2006).

Both #hockeyday games on NBC did 1.3 overnights, up 18pct from normal 1.1 for NHL on NBC.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
They did 18% better than normal. What is there to be upset about?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:54 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Pittsburgh and Buffalo are not big markets. They may watch hockey and get big local numbers but they're not big markets.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Azkals

Quote:
i expected much better. PIT/BUF was actually down from last yr...oh well
Not sure why you are disappointed. Of course PIT/BUF would be down from last year. Last year the PIT/BUF time slot included 6 markets, PIT, BUF, SJ, DET, STL, and CHI. When you eliminate 4 team's markets there is going to be a decrease.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Not sure why you are disappointed. Of course PIT/BUF would be down from last year. Last year the PIT/BUF time slot included 6 markets, PIT, BUF, SJ, DET, STL, and CHI. When you eliminate 4 team's markets there is going to be a decrease.
i'm not really an expert in this ratings field like most of you are.. but if you guys say it's good, then it must be good..but can you pls explain to me what you mean by they eliminated 4 markets? i am confused. wasn't this game shown in every city in america??? i am lost. thanks

Old
02-18-2013, 01:15 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
i'm not really an expert in this ratings field like most of you are.. but if you guys say it's good, then it must be good..but can you pls explain to me what you mean by they eliminated 4 markets? i am confused. wasn't this game shown in every city in america??? i am lost. thanks
IIRC, last season there were 3 games shown simultaneously. So the east coast had BUF-PIT, most of the midwest had DET-CHI, and STL and the west coast had STL-SJ. More markets having their local team to watch = much greater rating than only 2 markets having that.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
IIRC, last season there were 3 games shown simultaneously. So the east coast had BUF-PIT, most of the midwest had DET-CHI, and STL and the west coast had STL-SJ. More markets having their local team to watch = much greater rating than only 2 markets having that.
thank you my friend. i get it now. i actually had no idea they counted all 3 games as 1 rating. i thought it was per game. so are you telling me that if wings/chi played at same time and got a 0.8, PIT/buf gets 0.7, and stl/sj got 0.7 that NBC will say they got a 2.2 for NBC yesterday??

Day 1 this yr, CHI/LA and PIT/PHI got a 1.3 according to nbc. so are you saying that it wasn't 1.3 for each game and that it was like 0.7 for chi/la and maybe 0.6 for pit/phi???

if that's the case, i am shocked and happy with yesterday's ratings? and if i understood your explanation, thanks for teaching me this.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Blackhawks/Canucks breaks record on CSN Chicago with 7.41 rating (about 260,000 households).

http://www.csnchicago.com/article/cs...on-rating-date

Old
02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Blackhawks/Canucks breaks record on CSN Chicago with 7.41 rating (about 260,000 households).

http://www.csnchicago.com/article/cs...on-rating-date
thanks buddy, been waiting patiently for this result all day and been refreshing this thread every 6 min for the last 8 hrs.. this made my day. unreal what's happening in chicago now.. they are front page tribune, they are 1st mention on WGN sports. way before bulls and all. and don't forget, although some might think it wouldn't have made a diff, i know it would've, but the bulls played exact same time and it was a decent game.. now can you imagine had bulls not played last night. i am sure the 7.41 would've been at least 9.0, no?? so 7.41 is so impressive on acct of bulls being on same time. i just wonder what the hawks will get if they go to the stanley cup final gm 7 at home?? 23.2??? lol i am loving all this, but not as much as Bettman i am sure. this is like 1 big dream what's going on in chicago for our pal Gary. 4 yrs ago, 95% of chicago could not name you 3 players on the hawks and no one cared about them. seats were empty, and now 109% full to capacity.

BTW, i wish more ppl would post ratings each day here, like STL last night, etc.. and many more. i have noticed this thread can go 3-4 days without a post.. i wish we can more local ratings each day. i love to see them

Old
02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
thanks buddy, been waiting patiently for this result all day and been refreshing this thread every 6 min for the last 8 hrs.. this made my day. unreal what's happening in chicago now.. they are front page tribune, they are 1st mention on WGN sports. way before bulls and all. and don't forget, although some might think it wouldn't have made a diff, i know it would've, but the bulls played exact same time and it was a decent game.. now can you imagine had bulls not played last night. i am sure the 7.41 would've been at least 9.0, no?? so 7.41 is so impressive on acct of bulls being on same time. i just wonder what the hawks will get if they go to the stanley cup final gm 7 at home?? 23.2??? lol i am loving all this, but not as much as Bettman i am sure. this is like 1 big dream what's going on in chicago for our pal Gary. 4 yrs ago, 95% of chicago could not name you 3 players on the hawks and no one cared about them. seats were empty, and now 109% full to capacity.

BTW, i wish more ppl would post ratings each day here, like STL last night, etc.. and many more. i have noticed this thread can go 3-4 days without a post.. i wish we can more local ratings each day. i love to see them
No, it wouldn't have mattered. People who watched the Bulls game weren't going to watch the Hawks if the Bulls didn't play. They're 2 VERY different fan bases in this market. Anyone who would've watch the Hawks did. People didn't skip the Hawks to watch a Bulls team everyone knows isn't going anywhere.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
No, it wouldn't have mattered. People who watched the Bulls game weren't going to watch the Hawks if the Bulls didn't play. They're 2 VERY different fan bases in this market. Anyone who would've watch the Hawks did. People didn't skip the Hawks to watch a Bulls team everyone knows isn't going anywhere.
I'm sorry my friend, but you are off here. I am from MTL and when spos were here, i loved em, and when Habs and spos played same time, i went bollistic. i had no idea what to do.. i would not know what to watch, so i'd pick one, or switch back and forth. 95% of all the sports fans friends i ever had always liked more than 1 sport....95% of sports fans don't just like 1 team or sport, but are sports fans in general...redsox fans, are also bruins fans. same with eagles fans are flyers fans, etc.. you're not just a bruins/flyers fan and not like redsox/phllies. fans don't pick 1 sport only.

So if hawks are playing same time as bulls, they are definitely going to have fans that will have no choice but to choose. so hawks will lose some fans to bulls.. even bettman has said he loved when big games didn't go up against NBA.. bettman fears the nba. he admit it.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Nicky Santoro

Here is the perfect example.. If bruins avg 6.2 ratings.. then their next game is going up against the Red Sox home opener at Fenway and lets say it's vs the NYY... will bruins get 6.2??? i say they get 2.1.. why?? because all the big bruins fans are now watching the sox home opener. it does make a diff when other local teams are playing. maybe bulls wouldn't have been a big diff if they didn't play, but i am sure 7.41 would have been maybe 8.4.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I don't know how you can so definitively say a Blackhawks fan is wrong about the people who follow the Blackhawks.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:28 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Blackhawks vs Bulls

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...ore-local-nba/

Quote:
Bulls TV Ratings Down During First Half

With Derrick Rose sidelined due to injury, Chicago Bulls games averaged a 3.37 rating on Comcast SportsNet Chicago during the first half of the season — down 43% from last year at the All-Star break (5.92), and down 18% from the first half of the 2010-11 season (4.09). The 3.37 average still tops the midseason average during the 2009-10 season (2.5), the last year the Bulls did not finish with the top seed in the East. After trouncing the Blackhawks 5.81 to 3.11 last season, the Bulls currently trail their NHL counterparts by 35% (5.05 to 3.37). (Bulls avg. from Comcast)

In Short, TV Ratings in Chicago so far this season:
Blackhawks: 5.05
Bulls: 3.37

Note: The Blackhawks ratings do not include last night's record breaking numbers.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Capitals vs. Rangers finishes 'Hockey Day' strong

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/2...key-day-strong

Quote:
The tightly contested 2-1 Rangers win drew 609,000 viewers to NBCSN. That tops the previous Sunday's Devils vs. Penguins (556,000 viewers) game as the most-watched non-Wednesday night game of the season for NBC Sports Network. It also literally tripled the viewership of last year's 'Hockey Day' late game on NBCSN, Devils vs. Canadiens, up 200 percent (203,000).

In New York, the game drew a 1.84 local rating, the second-best ever for a Rangers game against a non-New York area opponent (i.e. the Devils and Islanders) on the network. The Washington market drew a 1.9 rating. Both markets had drawn a 1.5 earlier in the day for Kings vs. Blackhawks on NBC.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:29 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
I'm sorry my friend, but you are off here. I am from MTL and when spos were here, i loved em, and when Habs and spos played same time, i went bollistic. i had no idea what to do.. i would not know what to watch, so i'd pick one, or switch back and forth. 95% of all the sports fans friends i ever had always liked more than 1 sport....95% of sports fans don't just like 1 team or sport, but are sports fans in general...redsox fans, are also bruins fans. same with eagles fans are flyers fans, etc.. you're not just a bruins/flyers fan and not like redsox/phllies. fans don't pick 1 sport only.

So if hawks are playing same time as bulls, they are definitely going to have fans that will have no choice but to choose. so hawks will lose some fans to bulls.. even bettman has said he loved when big games didn't go up against NBA.. bettman fears the nba. he admit it.
I never said that people pick 1 sport, I said that its typical in the Chicago area, where I live, for people to be Hawks fans and not care about the Bulls and vice versa. I'm a Hawks, Sox, and Bears fan. I'm also a fan of Indiana University Athletics, as well as Arsenal. I am in no way arguing that people are only fans of what sport. That seems to be the generalization you're making about my argument, which is incredibly far from correct. To compare the Bruins and Red Sox to this situation doesn't make sense. If you were comparing the Hawks and Cubs to that it'd be 1 thing, but the Bulls aren't as high up the city ladder as the Red Sox are.

All I am saying is that the Hawks and Bulls have very different fan bases. Now, of course there are some people who do care about both. But you need to look at the circumstances before making generalizations. Last night, we had a team playing one of the biggest current rivals trying to try the record for the greatest start in the history of the league! The other was a relatively meaningless game for a team that's going to make the playoffs but fans know aren't going to much when they get there, even if their star comes back. Yeah, it took me this long to mention the guy people watch the Bulls for isn't even playing!

Anyone who watched the Bulls over the Hawks last night has little to no interest in the Hawks. It's that simple! It's logic. The few people who do love both weren't watching the Bulls last night. No chance.

Now, as was said, the Bulls are averaging a 3.37. You said you think the Hawks, who were at a 7.41 last night, could've gotten a 9 if the Bulls didn't play. So half of the people who watched the Bulls would've watched the Hawks, by your logic. That's far from correct. The Bulls game had very little effect on what the Hawks pulled last night.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Jonas1235

How about tonight's penguins flyers game? Nbcsn record?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
How about tonight's penguins flyers game? Nbcsn record?
I read somewhere that it was blacked out in Pitt because it was on ROOT Sports. So no, don't expect a record.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:29 AM
ebox99

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...d_Networks.php

Quote:
Lots of sports industry "experts" predicted a gloomier path for the NHL, but that hasn't been the case. With one month of the 2012-13 hockey season almost complete, local household ratings for the Chicago Blackhawks' games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago are up 68%; ratings for the Washington Capitals on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic are up 17%; ratings for the San Jose Sharks on Comcast SportsNet California are up 20%; and ratings for the Philadelphia Flyers on Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia are up 6%, according to Nielsen data.

The ratings on the Fox regional sports nets that carry NHL games are up even more. Household ratings for Fox Sports Midwest, which televises the St. Louis Blues games, are up 202%; the Florida Panthers on Fox Sports Florida, up 182%; Minnesota Wild on Fox Sports North, up 170%; the Phoenix Coyotes on Fox Sports Arizona, up 133%; and the Los Angeles Kings on Fox Sports West, up 116%.

Ratings for the New York Rangers on MSG are up 229%; New York Islanders on MSG Plus, up 122%; and the New Jersey Devils on MSG Plus, up 121%. Ratings for the Boston Bruins on NESN are up 115%.

Ratings for 21 NHL teams with games televised on regional sports networks in the U.S. are cumulatively up 76%, while ratings on the Fox RSNs are up 108%.

Viewership is also doing well for the NHL's national telecasts. So far, through 12 national telecasts that have been on NBC Sports Network, viewership is up 36% compared to a similar 12-game period last season. The three Wednesday Night Rivalry games have produced three of the top five most-watched regular season games in the cable network's history, including when it was named Versus.

On the NBC broadcast network, the first four games of this season have averaged a 1.1 household rating, up 22% from last season. The NBC games are also averaging 1.37 million viewers, up 36% from last season.

A spokesperson for NBC Sports says, "Sponsors and other advertisers migrated back to the NHL telecasts quickly and they are delighted with the returns to date."

All NHL official sponsors are advertising on NBC. Among the leading marketers are Discovery, Honda, Geico and Bridgestone.

Regional sports network sales execs can't be happier, knowing that things could have played out very differently.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 02-21-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Crease

The Penguins continue their strong regional TV success:

Quote:
From Erie to the Ohio border, though Morgantown, W.Va., and toward Altoona, about 357,000 people on average have watched Penguins games broadcast on Root Sports Pittsburgh since the NHL returned in late January. No United States' NHL market had done better with its local club.
Quote:
The Penguins' overall regional television rating — games broadcast on NBC, NBC Sports Network and/or Root Sports Pittsburgh — generated an 11.9 average, best for any NHL or NBA team.
Quote:
The Penguins had produced a double-digit rating in 12 consecutive games broadcast on Root Sports Pittsburgh. That shattered the previous best mark, four in a row, set in December 2010 prior to the Winter Classic at Heinz Field.
Quote:
The Buffalo Sabres were also off to a strong regional TV ratings start this season, with an average of 10.1. Rounding out Nielsen's top five: Boston (7.0), St. Louis (5.0) and Chicago (4.9).

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2LXScFAQl

Old
02-21-2013, 01:07 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 214
Holy cow.... knew that the Hawks were setting local ratings records, but had no clue they were up 68%. That's stunning, even with the points streak.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I read somewhere that it was blacked out in Pitt because it was on ROOT Sports. So no, don't expect a record.
Not true. I live there. It was only on NBCSN.

Closed Thread