HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Is Boudrea or Carlyle at all like Lemaire, or do they feel like jobs should be handed to them on merit alone as well? I don't want a coach who feels like he doesn't have to prove anything. We just fired one.

hey everybody, happy time, we just lost a Jack Adams coach for a guy with 1 yr pro exp. Party time. wooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I'm sure this season will be so much more fun now. Good news is we'll get a new coach next year who feels entitled to our team.
NOBODY (outside the organization) is going to accept a job where they aren't even given a pre-season and training camp to fully implement their system before having to compete for their job again.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
jacques lemaire!!!

Duh!
You wouldn't want Jacques Lemaire, but you'll probably want some asst. who may or may not be a good head coach, right??

Then you can have your little jame hates the coach hf game you've been enjoying for so long continue even longer?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
How about I just say that our timing was bad, and not just that we're unlucky no one is available. Maybe we should have waited until someone did become available(or we chatted up a Lemaire first), because we certainly didn't upgrade.
I think the point is that an immediate "upgrade" isn't the goal currently. They're giving a young coach a shot with an NHL team and seeing what he can do, all the while preparing for a wide coaching search after the season. This is so clearly their plan I really don't know whats not to get. It's a perfectly legitimate plan too, for the record

Old
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea, almost everyone gets it. not sure why you've devoted so much effort to the argument
Slow night at work

Old
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
NOBODY (outside the organization) is going to accept a job where they aren't even given a pre-season and training camp to fully implement their system before having to compete for their job again.
Again, I gave you 2 great recent examples, why are you ignoring them?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Is Boudrea or Carlyle at all like Lemaire, or do they feel like jobs should be handed to them on merit alone as well? I don't want a coach who feels like he doesn't have to prove anything. We just fired one.

hey everybody, happy time, we just lost a Jack Adams coach for a guy with 1 yr pro exp. Party time. wooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I'm sure this season will be so much more fun now. Good news is we'll get a new coach next year who feels entitled to our team.
Lindy is SO far removed from his Jack Adams season. And of course the season is lost, it was well before the announcement came.

And I didn't give Lemaire as an example. I was just using yours.

And who the **** said our next coach would feel entitled? You're just making **** up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
The more important question is what will Jame change his avatar to?
I thought we already established that it was going to be the Highlander.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Wait, are you saying randy Carlyle was hired as an interim coach and had to fight for his job??

You do know his contract was for 3+ years and they never gave him the interim label right?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
I thought we already established that it was going to be the Highlander.
Just google image searched "The Highlander" and have come to the conclusion that men wax, a lot.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:43 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
No, you didn't

You gave me two examples of coaches who were named full head coaches during the season - they knew they would be there the next season unless they proved incredibly incompetent.

Once again, there's a huge difference between naming an interim head coach, and a new non-interim head coach.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
I think the point is that an immediate "upgrade" isn't the goal currently. They're giving a young coach a shot with an NHL team and seeing what he can do, all the while preparing for a wide coaching search after the season. This is so clearly their plan I really don't know whats not to get. It's a perfectly legitimate plan too, for the record
Not that I like the idea any better than Rolston, but Patrick should have been given the interim job if we're going by status quo.

As for legitimate plan part, you think Rolston has a legit chance at succeeding?

Believe me I fully understand WHAT they are doing, but not liking WHEN they decided to do it.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
It's not a head scratcher. This is what teams do when a coach is fired. However, doesn't make Rolston a good coach.
Exactly.

I doubt Rolston will have any significant impact with this roster. Even if he is a decent coach. He'll be the coach for the last 30 games, and likely be sent back down.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

The tweet by JVR about Rolston being a great coach and an even better person is good to see. If he can be good with our young guys then that is the most important thing to me really.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
No, you didn't

You gave me two examples of coaches who were named full head coaches during the season - they knew they would be there the next season unless they proved incredibly incompetent.

Once again, there's a huge difference between naming an interim head coach, and a new non-interim head coach.
semantics.

...and why didn't we fire our coach when we COULD get someone we wouldn't have to use the semantics in his title? After 15 years, we beat Boston(for the 2nd time only team to do it), then almost take out the next best team, then lose a 1 goal decision, and it's fire time? This has rash owners decision written all over it, and everyone is looking past it, because they wanted Lindy gone.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:49 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Not that I like the idea any better than Rolston, but Patrick should have been given the interim job if we're going by status quo.

As for legitimate plan part, you think Rolston has a legit chance at succeeding?

Believe me I fully understand WHAT they are doing, but not liking WHEN they decided to do it.
I never said anything about status quo, they fired the coach thats about as anti-status quo as it gets. Rolston has a totally different style than Lindy too. Why would Rolston not have a legitimate chance to succeed? If they play well under him and turn this around I'm sure he will be a front runner for the job. When did you want them to do it? Were you holding out hope that the Boudreau situation would repeat itself? What coach that is on the chopping block would you seriously want them to go hire right now? This is a fine move, Rolston deserves a shot at an NHL job and you never know how great he could be.

E: and it's not semantics at all BTW, interim means they will evaluate how he does in the shortened season to see whether or not they would like to potentially keep him on, actually signing a guy to a contract is a monetary commitment that you have to pay through to nose to break so semantics is way the wrong idea there.

E2: Damn it now I'm arguing definitions of words too.

Last edited by captaincrunch89: 02-20-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
semantics.

...and why didn't we fire our coach when we COULD get someone we wouldn't have to use the semantics in his title? After 15 years, we beat Boston(for the 2nd time only team to do it), then almost take out the next best team, then lose a 1 goal decision, and it's fire time? This has rash owners decision written all over it, and everyone is looking past it, because they wanted Lindy gone.
Rash owners decision? This was years in coming. By the way the examples you used still have us with a 1-2 record in the last three games. Close or not, moral victories don't count.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
semantics.

No. It's not at all semantics.

As an aside, we've been talking about Boudreau in here...any guesses how he got his NHL head coaching start?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Daz28

Quote:
I never said anything about status quo, they fired the coach thats about as anti-status quo as it gets. Rolston has a totally different style than Lindy too. Why would Rolston not have a legitimate chance to succeed? If they play well under him and turn this around I'm sure he will be a front runner for the job. When did you want them to do it? Were you holding out hope that the Boudreau situation would repeat itself? What coach that is on the chopping block would you seriously want them to go hire right now? This is a fine move, Rolston deserves a shot at an NHL job and you never know how great he could be.
...you also don't know how bad he can be. There's a reason there's not many NHL head coaches come in with 1 yr pro exp. There's a real good chance that Rolston gets his stuff handed to him pretty bad with this club. I just hope we get some bounce out of it to give us a shot at the playoffs.

As for the previous poster, I'll admit, the good situation might not have presented itself, but it also may have. Just about any present coach fired would be better than Rolston.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
...you also don't know how bad he can be. There's a reason there's not many NHL head coaches come in with 1 yr pro exp. There's a real good chance that Rolston gets his stuff handed to him pretty bad with this club. I just hope we get some bounce out of it to give us a shot at the playoffs.

As for the previous poster, I'll admit, the good situation might not have presented itself, but it also may have. Just about any present coach fired would be better than Rolston.
Bolded is nonsense, there are at least five current coaches, that if fired, I would not go near. No one knows how good any first time NHL coach will be, theres no such thing as a sure thing in this league. If he sucks thats fine, he was only the interim coach and we find our guy in the offseason like I'm sure they plan on doing as it is. If he's amazing well that's just gravy.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Rash owners decision? This was years in coming. By the way the examples you used still have us with a 1-2 record in the last three games. Close or not, moral victories don't count.
It would seem to indicate a team on the upswing. Being 6 points out, and on the upswing makes me think it's rash, especially considering we've had FAR worse stretches recently.

Look, maybe I'll just join everybody in the glad Ruff is gone celebration. I just think it's going to get tougher under RR, and then we still have to pray they find the right coach. Waiving McCormick for Porter just isn't enough to get my juices flowing.

Also, I do understand most of your points, and appreciate those who have managed to converse in a civil manner.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Bolded is nonsense, there are at least five current coaches, that if fired, I would not go near. No one knows how good any first time NHL coach will be, theres no such thing as a sure thing in this league. If he sucks thats fine, he was only the interim coach and we find our guy in the offseason like I'm sure they plan on doing as it is. If he's amazing well that's just gravy.
I have little faith in Rolston, and before last year no one else besides Darcy Regier did either at the pro level. Working with youngsters and being an NHL head coach are night/day.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:02 PM
CrazyPsycho

Quote:
It would seem to indicate a team on the upswing. Being 6 points out, and on the upswing makes me think it's rash, especially considering we've had FAR worse stretches recently.
The Trashers game was easily their worst effort of the season. UPSWING!

Old
02-20-2013, 10:03 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:

Look, maybe I'll just join everybody in the glad Ruff is gone celebration. I just think it's going to get tougher under RR, and then we still have to pray they find the right coach. Waiving McCormick for Porter just isn't enough to get my juices flowing.

Also, I do understand most of your points, and appreciate those who have managed to converse in a civil manner.
I think your thought process is too much in the short term on this one. With a move like this long term is what matters most and right now this season is almost certainly lost anyway whether Lindy is in charge or not. He needed to go at some point so why not now when we can get a look at a young coach with potential?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:

Agreed here, and there is every chance it could get tougher.

At this point, we could have rattled off ten in a row and I still think he would have been headed for the chopping block. Close as we are to 8th, we're closer to 15th and have played more games than the teams around us. And even though we lost by one to the 'Peg the team was just...listless. No use in keeping Lindy here when it was clear where he was going. I'd rather have any interim than a lame duck.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPsycho View Post
The Trashers game was easily their worst effort of the season. UPSWING!
They gave up 2 goals. I'll take that every night. The only problem was we only have 1 scoring line. I'm sure Ron Rolston is already working on that though. Get ready for a Drew streak, I smell it coming.

...or maybe Marcus will start shooting at 27% again.

The team is bad, and I don't like Lindy either, but they were in games with teams they shouldn't have been in. Picking one game that was lost by 1 goal is a bad example of why ya fire a 15 yr coach.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
They gave up 2 goals. I'll take that every night. The only problem was we only have 1 scoring line. I'm sure Ron Rolston is already working on that though. Get ready for a Drew streak, I smell it coming.

...or maybe Marcus will start shooting at 27% again.

The team is bad, and I don't like Lindy either, but they were in games with teams they shouldn't have been in. Picking one game that was lost by 1 goal is a bad example of why ya fire a 15 yr coach.
We may have lost by just a goal, but we played atrocious..the effort last night was pathetic.

Closed Thread