HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much do we miss Prust?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Is this NHL 07 where you can just change a players role? Since when is Stamkos a Power forward? Graves the best at scoring garbage goals? Keith Tkachuk? Phil Esposito?

So many questions....

02-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Oh, please... Keep that sarcasm of yours to yourself. Nash, Neal, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin are PFs. They make goals to happen for themselves. Callahan, like Prust is a garbage picker (with excellent backhand). Still Adam Graves (best in the business of garbage goals by a role player)is unreachable for him.
The only way for Sather to keep Prust was to change his role. He might have asked Torts about it, but torts prob said he can make Prust out of anyone. I wouldn't argue, he might.
Stamkos is a power forward? Since when? Have you seen him play just once? Lucic is a power forward. Him and Stamkos can't be anymore different. Crosby and Malkin are playmakers. You know what those are, right? Both just happen to have great shots. James Neal is a sniper. Stamkos is a sniper who can make some nice passes. Although you're probably not the best at assessing player talent. After all, Prince Chad>Lundqvist.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Wasn't Callahan second on the team in goals last year? Does that mean that everyone except for the leading goal scorer is a role player? Give me a break.
Read above scoring and role are not related. Not directly anyway. Here's very loosely the roles that every team has to have on the roster to be complete ( from bottom up):

Fighter
Utility player
Role player
Stay-at-home Dman
Puck moving D
Defensive C
Sniper
Power forward

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:58 PM
94now

Quote:
Stamkos is a power forward? Since when? Have you seen him play just once? Lucic is a power forward. Him and Stamkos can't be anymore different. Crosby and Malkin are playmakers. You know what those are, right? Both just happen to have great shots. James Neal is a sniper. Stamkos is a sniper who can make some nice passes. Although you're probably not the best at assessing player talent. After all, Prince Chad>Lundqvist.
He-he, you are correct, but it is away from the point, none of them is a role player. Stamkos is as huge as Neal or Lucic. Prust is no small either, while Calli is.

I don't believe Play Maker is a role, to me it is a core responsibility of a centre. But I won't fight it.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
He-he, you are correct, but it is away from the point, none of them is a role player. Stamkos is as huge as Neal or Lucic. Prust is no small either, while Calli is.
Being big does not make a power forward. At all. Stamkos is 6 foot 1, or average in the NHL. Brandon Prust is 1 inch taller than Callahan. Does this mean that we should keep all players of height above 6 feet? Callahan is not a role player. Role players are not out there when the team is trailing late by a goal. Role players do not score 29 goals.

Anyone can be a playmaker. MSL is a RW, but is probably one of the best playmakers in the game. Stamkos is a center, but will never be mistaken for a playmaker.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Stamkos' size has nothing to do with his "role". And he is nowhere near the immensity of Lucic. Extremely different players.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:06 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Is this NHL 07 where you can just change a players role? Since when is Stamkos a Power forward? Graves the best at scoring garbage goals? Keith Tkachuk? Phil Esposito?

So many questions....
#1 Cicerelli
#2 Graves

Old
02-20-2013, 11:09 PM
94now

Quote:
Stamkos' size has nothing to do with his "role". And he is nowhere near the immensity of Lucic. Extremely different players.
I disagree. But this is diversion from subject, mod.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
I disagree. But this is diversion from subject, mod.

I'm throwing my hands in the air for this one. Agree to disagree on everything.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:14 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:

I'm throwing my hands in the air for this one. Agree to disagree on everything.
Oh my god bravo

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Absolutely none because this is our team now.

This is your family now.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:28 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
so to sum up the thread: team doesn't miss Prust, but fans do?
Team definitely misses Prust. And Fedotenko. I see and understand why Prust was left to move on but not re-signing Feds was just dumb.

Those guys were excellent role players. Prust was a big part of our blue-collar, no nonsense identity.

What's this year's identity? I know it's early and I'm one of the more patient fans, but right now we don't have one. Last year you knew what you were going to get, night in and night out.

Personally I'm almost at the point that I wished we matched Montreal's offer and dealt Gabby next off-season to make up some of the lost space. Or even Boyle this year. Logically that sounds completely dumb and irrational, but who would you rather have on the team right now? Looks like Boyle or Gabs could be dealt anyway.

Prust was just a Ranger, damn it. Sucks he's still not here.

Last edited by NY Lito: 02-21-2013 at 02:35 AM.
NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Powe, Halpern, and Pyatt sure as hell made me forget the guy.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Mikos87

I'm always going to have a soft spot for Pruster, I wouldn't mind if he pulled an Avery with MTL. But once Powe was acquired, Prusts whistle-to-whistle role was replaced.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:01 AM
nevesis

Prust kept the room honest and hardworking. Some players like him bring intangibles like that.

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
94now

Quote:
Being big does not make a power forward. At all. Stamkos is 6 foot 1, or average in the NHL. Brandon Prust is 1 inch taller than Callahan. Does this mean that we should keep all players of height above 6 feet? .
This is actually a legitimate question. Maybe. It depends of team need for speed, cause tall guys are slower, except elite, while size gives you physical upperhand. Ideally you want to have enough depth to allow coach more freedom.
Quote:
Callahan is not a role player. Role players are not out there when the team is trailing late by a goal. Role players do not score 29 goals.
Role players motivate by example. It doesn't matter whether they fight, score, hit or just show energy. They lead. Leadership is an ability to make other people to do things that people wouldn't incline to do. Hockey or not. If Messier wasn't a HOF Power Forward, he would a terrific Role Player.
You can call Callahan an elite role player. Still a role player. So is Prust. Rangers didn't think he imay become an elite one. They could be wrong. So could be you.

Quote:
Anyone can be a playmaker. MSL is a RW, but is probably one of the best playmakers in the game. Stamkos is a center, but will never be mistaken for a playmaker
This is irrelevant to Prust, but playmakers are the most developped hockey players there are. Anyone can learn to pass well. You have to have an incredible talent to play so called "full deck of cards" to be in such role. Only few show that ant young age. MSLhad, like the rest, to age in order to become one, he was just a sniper when he was as young as Stamkos. I think Stepan is as close as it gets to it, but lack of conststency downs even established ones, like Richards currently. This is because it is requires total concentration every shift. If you have gotten a playmaker that unable play C due to defense inability, size or whatever, you use him on the wing, or as point on PP any position because they are rarities.

Last edited by 94now: 02-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Prust kept the room honest and hardworking. Some players like him bring intangibles like that.
Agreed.

Couldn't pay him 2+ M though... so the point is moot.

We miss him yes.

We sign him to that contract and everyone loses their poo.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

If an elite role player scores 29 goals, then sign me up. However, Prust will NEVER score anywhere in that stratosphere.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Ice Hockey

considering how he's playing now (from the games i've seen) VS a bigger contract we could have traded... i miss him. i wish we would've let boyle go and kept him. he's becoming a playmaker and actually uses his size every shift. never falls asleep and gets lazy. conditioning looks tip top.

edit: i did not take into consideration his recent contract i just remembered which is-- for a guy like him-- big bucks. maybe if he'd have taken a hometown discount but def not for that contract

Last edited by Ice Hockey: 02-22-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: missed something
Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Prust > Pyatt
Prust > Asham
Prust > Powe
Prust > Halpern
Prust > Boyle

WeWillWinTonight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
Prust > Pyatt
Prust > Asham
Prust > Powe
Prust > Halpern

Prust > Boyle
In terms of aggressiveness maybe....

Old
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Barnaby

I just read the last two pages... there goes 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

I say that we change every player's role to power forward and just mow over the competition.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
The Torts Identity

Tuned into the Isles Habs game during intermission for all of 5 minutes. An Isle throws a bit of a dirty hit and Prust jumps right in and takes him on (probably giving 5-6 inches, 20-30 pounds). Gets thrown around a bit but still looking to get in some punches before the referees finally break it up.

Go back to the Ranger game...LAME!!!

Yea, I miss Pruster.

The Torts Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
In terms of aggressiveness maybe....
We are all entitled to our opinions but if its my team I take Prust over the rest I have listed and don't hesitate for a second.

WeWillWinTonight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
We are all entitled to our opinions but if its my team I take Prust over the rest I have listed and don't hesitate for a second.
I mean, I'd take Prust too. Not arguing there, but that is because Prust is that full package guy. Personally, I don't put as much stock into toughness/fighting so Powe/Halpern's PK and defensive abilities make up for his loss just fine to me.