HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What will the NHL Canadian TV deal look like?

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Darlotto99

vCash: 500
What will the NHL Canadian TV deal look like?

I think the next TV deal will look like this

CBC keeps the HNIC but with less playoffs

TSN keeps their current tv deal.

Sportsnet gets a new national package and builds a Sunday night hockey ala NFL's deal with NBC.

Both TSN and Sportsnet get more playoffs then CBC except for the Cup finals.

How do u think the next tv deal will look like in Canada? Think HNIC will die or will CBC keep hockey?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
HNIC will die
And the CBC with it. It's about time.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Jonas1235

CBC gets a small rights package to save face.

TSN gets Wednesday night canadian only games. Select nbc games. All playoffs on TSN or tsn2. Keeps regional jets/canadiens

Sportsnet keep current regions, but picks up select nbcsn games.

TSN has become everything hockey for years now, want to go all in. Sportsnet has all jays baseball games, so no full playoff series. And CBC is under scrutiny from Canadians for using too much of our money. Can't pay what nhl wants. Saves face with a weekly Saturday double header and winter classic.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i think HNIC will keep their saturday night exclusivity but we'll see less afternoon games on cbc and their playoff package will be cut down significantly.

HNIC is worth more to the CBC than its ~100M cost and ~120M revenue. Losing HNIC means needing to fill all those hours with new, CANADIAN (IE they'd have to produce it), programming, and the estimated cost of that is over 200M.

basically, unless CTV/Bell or Rogers decide to greatly overpay for saturday nights (and run it at a huge loss for the term of the contract), HNIC can afford and NEEDS to outbid them.

02-20-2013, 11:35 PM
saskganesh

The NHL will make more money by having more suitors at the dance. They'll play it smart, and make sure each party gets something to take home...in other words, crushing the CBC is not part of the NHL's agenda.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:15 AM
CBCnutcase

The CBC and the NHL have been together for 60 years and they will stick with each other. Just like saskganesh said, more networks means more money. I think the new contract will be fairly close to the status quo and add Sportsnet to Sunday.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Shootmaster_44

I suspect Bell will make a hard pitch to try and acquire the Saturday night package. Whether or not they would put it on CTV is another story, but I believe (as I hardly watch CTV) Saturday night is the night they burn off their Cancon for the week with a full lineup of Canadian shows. So bumping these shows off for hockey wouldn't be a big issue.

I also wonder whether there will be a dark horse that comes in and tries to pick up some games? I know Shaw Media holds a license for a sports channel that they weren't intending to launch at this time. I would gather they would launch it if they were to buy the rights to the NHL package.

I also wonder if someone might buy a certain package and then resell those games to someone? I believe this is how CTV had hockey during the mid-80s. I believe Labatt Breweries had bought the rights to a national Sunday night game and then resold the games to CTV. Also, TSN had done this with CBC for some CFL games in the past. Then again, I wonder if the NHL would even entertain such a deal?

My take is that you will see CBC retain the Saturday night package. I also suspect they will retain the entire Stanley Cup Finals unless Bell makes a promise to show the games on CTV (which they would never do as their US programming is too precious to bump for sports as is evident by not showing the World Series or I believe the Rose Bowl anymore). TSN will retain their Wednesday night package.

The only change that will be seen is I have a feeling Sportsnet will be given some sort of national package. However, I suspect it might be a no Canadian teams matchup agreement. Sportsnet can show one game per week involving two US based teams. Either that or you might see the NHL relax their local broadcasting rules and allow Sportsnet to show all their local broadcasts (TSN too with the Leafs, Habs and Jets) nationally except for blacking them out in other teams' local markets. So instead of me being in Alberta only getting Oilers and Flames local games (as I am outside of the 70 mile local radius the NHL says is local territory), I would be able to get Jets, Habs, Canucks, Senators and Leafs local games as well.

I also suspect that the Winter Classic and All-Star game will be a shared property like the Super Bowl is. You will see those games rotated between CBC, TSN/CTV and Sportsnet. Since for some reason the Winter Classic is a prized property (though the appeal of outdoor hockey died following the first Heritage Classic in Edmonton in my mind), you would think the NHL would be smart and take a page from the NFL.

On the NFL vein, I do wonder whether the NHL would ever split national broadcast rights between the Eastern and Western Conferences? Meaning that CBC could retain HNIC but only show Eastern Conference games and CTV/TSN would have Saturday nights but could only show the Western Conference. Granted, unlike the NFL, there are not enough teams spread between all time zones in the Western Conference to make this plausible. The only way that this would be a good idea is if TSN (or CTV) carried Red Wings games on Saturday night. This would be the only way they would hit the Eastern Time Zone prime time. Are the Oilers, Flames and Canucks valuable enough that TSN would be willing to do this? For that matter would CBC be willing to lose those teams?

Are the French language rights up at the same time? If so, I could see SRC making a heated pitch for the French language Saturday nights and playoffs, especially if CBC loses HNIC. In Quebec, I'm not sure whether it would make any huge difference whether the games are on RDS or SRC. By that I mean it would be the same advertisers etc. However, SRC is a much larger potential audience. Despite not speaking a word of French, my Dad loyally watches the Habs on RDS and watched them on SRC too. I would assume that there are tons of Anglophone Habs fans nationwide that do the same. Bringing back La Soiree du Hockey on SRC would mean greater sponsorship deals. Even if you don't speak French, Coca-Cola is still Coca-Cola. Having it on SRC which every Canadian with a television in theory has access to is a much larger market than RDS which on many cable systems is difficult to receive and may be avoided if it means you have to take other French channels as well. It would be interesting to see what the ratings outside Quebec are like for the SRC games of old compared with the RDS games now.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Ernie

No way the NHL agrees to put Saturday night games on cable only. They would lose too much exposure.

I suspect that CBC will hang on to the Saturday games. If the NHL gives the night to Bell Globemedia, CBC will never again show NHL hockey. It suits the NHL to have multiple bidders for Canadian TV rights.

Playoffs? Again, there are a lot of extra eyeballs, and many casual fans might not be so inclined to buy a sports cable package to watch the local team. So once the NHL again loses exposure.

If Bell wants more playoff games, they have to put them on CTV. Plain and simple.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Kitsune

The darkhorse bid is going to be City TV, I honestly would not be shocked if Rogers try to steal the entire HNIC package and put it on City TV instead, I'm quite sure it would fit perfectly. Also - Sportsnet can take more NHL playoff games, they would put the Jays games on sportsnet 2 instead.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
tony d
The man

I think CBC comes up with enough money to keep HNIC. It's more or less their bread and butter right now. They're going to do everything they can to save it.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
Old
02-21-2013, 10:14 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I don't see HNIC leaving CBC for a few reasons

1) It's tradition. There are very few hockey people who grew up NOT watching HNIC on CBC. It's comfortable. It's home. And its one of the only times non-hockey fans watch.

2) CBC makes a profit off HNIC and could run into some serious financial problems if they lose it. I know there are some die hard here who want to keep their $50 a year in taxes and kill off CBC, but there are still some sensible ones here who enjoy Canadian programming and a true-Canadian network. Losing CBC would put thousands of Canadians out of a job and would be a huge blow to Canadian media and culture.

3) Having one night a week (Saturday) where hockey is available to everyone is a sweet deal for the NHL. Full exposure. There are still a lot of people without TSN and having that extra reach of CBC means the NHL gets more viewers/airtime.

4) NBC is the only major player in the States for national broadcasts. In Canada we have TSN and CBC. Maybe add in Sportsnet and CTV. Having multiple stations means a few things. One, the NHL gets far more leverage and money than with just one station. Two, the NHL gets far more exposure.

The landscape of the NHL has really changed since the last TV contract. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the total Canadian TV contract blow away the American one.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Darlotto99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
The darkhorse bid is going to be City TV, I honestly would not be shocked if Rogers try to steal the entire HNIC package and put it on City TV instead, I'm quite sure it would fit perfectly. Also - Sportsnet can take more NHL playoff games, they would put the Jays games on sportsnet 2 instead.
And don't forget Rogers now owns the Score as well so they could always shift the Jays to the new Sportsnet if they have to.
My feeling is before the national deal is up Rogers will buy the HNIC brand from the CBC and take over CBC's sports department but will continue to air HNIC ON CBC so it won't upset the hockey fans. With Rogers owning the HNIC brand they could use it across all Rogers platforms and Rogers/CBC teaming up for the 2nd national package to go along with Bell's TSN deal.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
CTV/Bell/TSN will bid high and hard for this. IIRC CBC kept the rights this time with an inferior bid, I expect that an inferior bid will not work a second time (tradition and comfort only go so far).

If the ceeb is to keep these rights they'll definitely overpay what they can afford, their production costs are much higher than the private broadcasters. Their political masters will not stand for them overpaying, there will be no bailout from the feds for a budget shortfall. What gets thrown overboard? Peter Mansbridge maybe?

The ceeb's sports department has been rotting for years, this may kill it. Lost CFL, Olympics, curling..... it may be time to look at the PBS model for the ceeb, at least then they have to be responsive to their viewers/funders.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
My take is that you will see CBC retain the Saturday night package. I also suspect they will retain the entire Stanley Cup Finals unless Bell makes a promise to show the games on CTV (which they would never do as their US programming is too precious to bump for sports as is evident by not showing the World Series or I believe the Rose Bowl anymore). TSN will retain their Wednesday night package.
Stanley Cup Finals are in June, I doubt that Summer programming would hold CTV back.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Correct me if I'm wrong...

The only Canadian players:
- CBC
- Bell (owns CTV which owns TSN, +)
- Rogers (Sportsnet, +)

I don't see any significant changes in the next deal as it pertains to CBC.
With the addition of Rogers having a national cable sports channel now (Sportsnet1) in addition the their regional channels, they may become an owner of an exclusive national night of hockey as well if they bid high enough... as some have mentioned, a Sunday night possibility... but i know CBC has done Sunday broadcasts recently as well.. so we are more likely talking about a weeknight.

The main thing to change with the next deal... the total revenue coming back to the NHL..

Old
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
cutchemist42

So the Saturday night broadcats is whole seperate entity to bid on?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:35 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post

TSN gets Wednesday night canadian only games. Select nbc games. All playoffs on TSN or tsn2. Keeps regional jets/canadiens

TSN has become everything hockey for years now, want to go all in. Sportsnet has all jays baseball games, so no full playoff series. And CBC is under scrutiny from Canadians for using too much of our money. Can't pay what nhl wants. Saves face with a weekly Saturday double header and winter classic.
HNIC in Canada is a money maker for the CBC. If they lose it they will need to be using more of our money.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCnutcase View Post
The CBC and the NHL have been together for 60 years and they will stick with each other. Just like saskganesh said, more networks means more money. I think the new contract will be fairly close to the status quo and add Sportsnet to Sunday.
Except that Harper is tired of funding CBC and it's programmation.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Fidel Astro

I will be so, so disappointed if CBC ****s up like they did with the theme song and loses out here.

I love HNIC. I've been watching it for the better part of 30 years, and I plan to continue doing so. I don't have cable and don't plan to get it, so being able to watch hockey on CBC once a week is very important to me. Otherwise, it's just radio or ****** online streams.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
But I doubt Conservative Harper would like to be seen as anti-Patriotic. And if he cans HNIC, it will hurt his image.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
saskganesh

Quote:
That's great. But he didn't get to be PM by being very controversial. He'd rather starve CBC slowly, incrementally.

Remember he cultivated the public image of being a hockey fan (His hockey book is coming out sometime). If he is perceived as being anti-hockey that would hurt him politically.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

vCash: 150
CTV/TSN/Bell will basically hand Gary a blank cheque and tell him to write in a number for national broadcast rights for Saturday nights.

CBC/HNIC will be completely out of the picture, except for the possibility of broadcasting second tier playoff games, unless they can outbid Sportsnet for regional coverage.

Rogers Sportsnet will continue their regional coverage as they do now, or (if lost to CBC) will show out of market games on a fairly regular basis.

Quote:
Good thing that HNIC doesn't really need funding.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I always used to stick up for CBC because growing up, I didn't have cable and CTV couldn't be picked up via antenna in much of Canada so I could only watch hockey on the antenna with CBC.

Now however, CBC is garbage and a waste of $. This network has it too good and doesn't deserve it. Hope CTV gets the right. Maybe they'll even use that to expand CTV2 to more of Canada though probably they'll just put most of it on TSN which is a shame but if it means we don't have to pay for the CBC anymore then fine.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
CTV/TSN/Bell will basically hand Gary a blank cheque and tell him to write in a number for national broadcast rights for Saturday nights.

CBC/HNIC will be completely out of the picture, except for the possibility of broadcasting second tier playoff games, unless they can outbid Sportsnet for regional coverage.

Rogers Sportsnet will continue their regional coverage as they do now, or (if lost to CBC) will show out of market games on a fairly regular basis.

Good thing that HNIC doesn't really need funding.
Yeah, cause that's how successful businesses are run

Not entirely sure what logic people are using that CBC will be shut out of any hockey next year. Or that Harper has some evil plot to end the CBC by stopping HNIC.

CBC won the Canadian broadcast bid for the next two Olympic games in August. Doesn't seem like they had any kind of political wranglings to stop them from winning sporting bids.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post

My understanding is that Hockey on CBC actually turns a profit for them.

i dont see that changing.

HNIC stays

for playoffs...

HNIC gets 2 playoff series in the first round, 1 in the second round, 1 semifinal, cup final.

For the cup final to be on cable is like hearing the Super Bowl or the Wold Series being on cable....never happen.

Closed Thread