HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I get a Sylvain Lefebvre vibe about Percy's game...
Yeah, I can see what you mean. I see more finesse in Stu, good usage of his stick.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:47 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
Why was Rielly not traded from Moose Jaw to a contender, its highly unlikey he will be going back to Junior next year. I can see him making the Leafs, just odd why Moose jaw couldn't see this and trade him to get something in return. Just imagine the points Rielly would have with good players infront of him
Highly unlikely? Ehh. He still doesn't have an NHL shot, and his one-on-one defensive play is lackluster. And with so many quality defensemen on the Leafs right now that Gardiner can't even get a spot, Rielly will be hard pressed to get a starting spot out of camp unless he just plays out of his mind/someone else ***** the bed.

Which is absolutely fine; he's still right on track developmentally. Another year in junior isn't the end of the world. See Alex Pietrangelo.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Highly unlikely? Ehh. He still doesn't have an NHL shot, and his one-on-one defensive play is lackluster. And with so many quality defensemen on the Leafs right now that Gardiner can't even get a spot, Rielly will be hard pressed to get a starting spot out of camp unless he just plays out of his mind/someone else ***** the bed.

Which is absolutely fine; he's still right on track developmentally. Another year in junior isn't the end of the world. See Alex Pietrangelo.
i entirely agree with this, and wouldn't that give us another shot at seeing him in the wjc? redemtion?

Old
02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i entirely agree with this, and wouldn't that give us another shot at seeing him in the wjc? redemtion?
+1 .. He's coming off a major injury shortened season too, I'd be ok with giving him another year in junior to develop his entire game .. Give him a full training camp in September and maybe a few games at the start of the year for the coaches to point out on the defensive things he should work on

The Leafs have plenty of depth on the blue line, they're even having trouble finding a spot for Gardiner to get into the line up .. So long as the team is winning and the defense is solid, it's better for his development to be playing big minutes in junior and leading Team Canada next WJC than playing select minutes in the NHL.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Biggs and Percy are going to be key players for the Leafs, and that is not all. I expect Leivo to perhaps be the best of the 3, maybe the best player in the 11 draft crop. But there is a lot of quality we have thanks to Morrison and staff with this group.
What statistically tells you that. Evidence doesn't support your evaluation.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
leafsfuture

Here is what I believe will happen:
1. Moose Jaw season will end, he will join the Marlies for some 14 - 15 games.
2. Starts the season with the Leafs in the fall, plays 7 - 9 games, gets sent back to Junior (wherever he is)
3. World Juniors

As someone pointed out, the Alex Pietrangelo model seems to be legit, getting NHL experience and world junior experience while still playing most of the season at a level where you can improve

Old
02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
What statistically tells you that. Evidence doesn't support your evaluation.
Not sure what you mean?

Old
02-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Maybe it's me but I see Biggs more of a impact player on the ice with his body work and vocal authority. Leivo more of an offensive guy.

02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Reilly player of the week in the WHL

http://blog.mapleleafs.com/rielly-na...r-of-the-week/

Old
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Here is what I believe will happen:
1. Moose Jaw season will end, he will join the Marlies for some 14 - 15 games.
2. Starts the season with the Leafs in the fall, plays 7 - 9 games, gets sent back to Junior (wherever he is)
3. World Juniors

As someone pointed out, the Alex Pietrangelo model seems to be legit, getting NHL experience and world junior experience while still playing most of the season at a level where you can improve
Completely agree with this. Let him get his feet wet at different levels so he can figure out what he has to work on. I'd love to see him develop his shot to make it more potent, then he could really run the point for us when you combine that with his passing ability.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Can't wait to read the "Rielly is a bust" posts if he gets sent back to Juniors again.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
The Saurus

Morgan Rielly tonight (Feb. 20): no points, -2. MJ lost 4-1 to Saskatoon.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Morgan Rielly tonight (Feb. 20): no points, -2. MJ lost 4-1 to Saskatoon.
Rielly is a bust.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Can't wait to read the "Rielly is a bust" posts if he gets sent back to Juniors again.
Yup, it would happen.

And then we say "it's all apart of his development, Pietrangelo was sent back to junior and it worked out for him."

And then they say "Are you really comparing Rielly to Pietrangelo? "

And then we say "no we are just comparing their development paths."

And then they change the subject to the Kessel trade and bring up Hamilton saying he is a future HHoFer because that's the cool thing to do on HF.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Yup, it would happen.

And then we say "it's all apart of his development, Pietrangelo was sent back to junior and it worked out for him."

And then they change the subject to the Kessel trade and bring up Hamilton saying he is a future HHoFer because that's the cool thing to do on HF.
It's pretty sad that you were able to characterize a huge portion of propsect discussion on this board with one post.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
It's pretty sad that you were able to characterize a huge portion of propsect discussion on this board with one post.
I think I will bookmark it and reference to it in 8 months

But really though, no need to rush Rielly. If he isn't ready, don't force him to the NHL. It's unfortunate that he can't play in the AHL next year but that stuff happens.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:08 PM
JimLaheyprobert

anyone know whats up with biggs lately?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:22 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
anyone know whats up with biggs lately?
busting

Old
02-20-2013, 10:34 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Yup, it would happen.

The scary thing is how accurate this is.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:36 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
busting
That was funny.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Anth93

Saw Biggs again after my bold comments on him a few weeks ago.. I still don't see what the fuss is all about and I loved the pick on draft day (before I'd seen him).

Jenner took over the game, Laughton was solid and flashed offensively and then there was Biggs who just crashed to the net, fumbled the puck in transition and looked clumsy in general. I guess the bright side is that Lucic was no different in junior?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:31 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Saw Biggs again after my bold comments on him a few weeks ago.. I still don't see what the fuss is all about and I loved the pick on draft day (before I'd seen him).

Jenner took over the game, Laughton was solid and flashed offensively and then there was Biggs who just crashed to the net, fumbled the puck in transition and looked clumsy in general. I guess the bright side is that Lucic was no different in junior?
I see him a lot and usually give him the benefit of the doubt, because he is a leaf prospect.

He does have a nice shot, and seem to be developing his skating. However, he is a straight line player....nothing at all special looking. Still very raw, seems to have a good head on his shoulders and really look forward to how he progresses within our organization.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:41 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post

Add me to the list of people who came away unimpressed. He's a decent prospect I guess, but if we had a redo, I'd rather not spend a first rounder on the guy.

EDIT: Oh, and the second, too. Wasn't it like, Rakell and Gibson for Biggs? Ugh.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Anth93

It's amazing that a scout can determine Biggs should go before Jenner. Like that would be criminal based on how they're playing now.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:59 AM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Damn straight. ANd lets get a coach that will play him.

So mad at Spott.

Closed Thread