HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
captaincrunch89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
They gave up 2 goals. I'll take that every night. The only problem was we only have 1 scoring line. I'm sure Ron Rolston is already working on that though. Get ready for a Drew streak, I smell it coming.

...or maybe Marcus will start shooting at 27% again.

The team is bad, and I don't like Lindy either, but they were in games with teams they shouldn't have been in. Picking one game that was lost by 1 goal is a bad example of why ya fire a 15 yr coach.
It is when the effort level displayed was where it was. The message has been stale since last year minimum and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have been a staunch supporter of Lindy for a long time but this year it has been totally obvious that the effort level was atrocious. For the record they only gave up two yeah, could have easily been 5 without Miller, who, for all the **** we give him, always gives it 100%.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Agreed here, and there is every chance it could get tougher.

At this point, we could have rattled off ten in a row and I still think he would have been headed for the chopping block. Close as we are to 8th, we're closer to 15th and have played more games than the teams around us. And even though we lost by one to the 'Peg the team was just...listless. No use in keeping Lindy here when it was clear where he was going. I'd rather have any interim than a lame duck.
You're right. It is what it is, so I may as well just adjust. I'll have to take the biggest positive out of it, and that's that Terry shredded his fanboy label today like a prom dress.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
It is when the effort level displayed was where it was. The message has been stale since last year minimum and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have been a staunch supporter of Lindy for a long time but this year it has been totally obvious that the effort level was atrocious. For the record they only gave up two yeah, could have easily been 5 without Miller, who, for all the **** we give him, always gives it 100%.
I think Miller may have had a small part in this happening. He hinted at change, and said something about the system, too. I guess we owe him big time for this, besides all the games he keeps us in. I also think this helps us retain him.

See, if I just look past Rolston, I can see all the positives.

I also agree with the effort/dedication lately. I doubt Rolston can match any coaches tactically, but maybe if he gets an extra step out of the guys, we win these close games we're losing due to lack of effort.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

I believe my reaction to reading this thread can only be summed up with the following.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I believe my reaction to reading this thread can only be summed up with the following.

: laugh:

Quote:
You're right. It is what it is, so I may as well just adjust. I'll have to take the biggest positive out of it, and that's that Terry shredded his fanboy label today like a prom dress.
Amen brother.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Daz28

Yup, just get the party hats out, cuz Lindy's gone, forget about any hills we have to climb. This is very similar to the hockey heaven reaction. Let's hope this one lasts longer.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Yup, just get the party hats out, cuz Lindy's gone, forget about any hills we have to climb. This is very similar to the hockey heaven reaction. Let's hope this one lasts longer.
You're over-simplifying peoples happiness and I'm not sure why.

I'm glad he's gone.

I hope they make a lot more positive moves to actually move this team forward -- a solid coach, a big trade (ROR) and other moves to improve the defense.

They are not mutually exclusive things.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:37 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Has Ron Ron spoken yet???

Old
02-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
You're over-simplifying peoples happiness and I'm not sure why.

I'm glad he's gone.

I hope they make a lot more positive moves to actually move this team forward -- a solid coach, a big trade (ROR) and other moves to improve the defense.

They are not mutually exclusive things.
I'm with ya bro. I'm just not sold on Darcy right now. I'm pretty sure he was forced to make the decision, and the fact he would have kept Ruff is scary. Like I said though, Terry has shown the willingness to cut the cord, and that's good. I just think a lot of people are a bit ahead of themselves. We have to pray to get the right coach, and I'd love a ROR offer sheet. It just seems everyone seems like it will be so easy, just like they did when we proclaimed ourselves hockey heaven. This time I take the move with a grain of salt, and I'll wait on the results. I get sucked into the Bills the same way every year, and I gotta quit that this year as well.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I'm with ya bro. I'm just not sold on Darcy right now. I'm pretty sure he was forced to make the decision, and the fact he would have kept Ruff is scary. Like I said though, Terry has shown the willingness to cut the cord, and that's good. I just think a lot of people are a bit ahead of themselves. We have to pray to get the right coach, and I'd love a ROR offer sheet. It just seems everyone seems like it will be so easy, just like they did when we proclaimed ourselves hockey heaven. This time I take the move with a grain of salt, and I'll wait on the results. I get sucked into the Bills the same way every year, and I gotta quit that this year as well.
Considering how badly things have been going with this team this year, most fans will take any glimmer of hope and grasp on to it. Me included.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Has Ron Ron spoken yet???
This, waiting to hear what he's got to say.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
This entire post exists only in your head. You don't anything about what happened or what people expect. It obviously wasn't working with Lindy.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Has Rolston coached Seth Jones in the past?
I believe so. He was the head coach of the US dev. team from 2004-2011, and Jones played with that team in 10-11 and 11-12, so Rolston coached him for a year.

Another two former players of his (along with van Riemsdyk) tweeting their congratulations:
Quote:
Rocco Grimaldi ‏@RGrimaldi23
Congrats to Coach Rolston! I thought he shouldve been coaching in the NHL years ago. Long overdo! Great coach and an even better person
Quote:
Jake McCabe ‏@McCabe19
Congrats to my former coach Ron Rolston for taking over in Buffalo! No doubt he'll do a great job #rolly #leathergloves
They don't really have any reason not to tell the truth, so players seem to like the guy.

Also, here's some links for articles/interviews about Rolston:

- Really good piece by Elliotte Friedman on Rolston
- Mike Grier talking to Friedman about Lindy's firing
- Dreger/McKenzie talking about it
- NHL.com article on potential hires

Last edited by Sean McG: 02-21-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 07:20 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Just so people are aware - he wears workmens gloves during practices. It's not that he forgot his hockey gloves or anything.

http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2011/09/...actice-gloves/

Old
02-21-2013, 07:41 AM
WNY to NoVA

So what has happened like this in the past?

Looking for examples:

Lets say Rolston is really just an interim, and doesnt work for whatever reason (team play, better candidate becomes avail, etc) at the end of the season.

So the Sabres get whoever else as head coach.

Are these AHL-->NHL interim coaches usually welcomed back (or want to go back) to their old gigs?

Old
02-21-2013, 08:14 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
So what has happened like this in the past?

Looking for examples:

Lets say Rolston is really just an interim, and doesnt work for whatever reason (team play, better candidate becomes avail, etc) at the end of the season.

So the Sabres get whoever else as head coach.

Are these AHL-->NHL interim coaches usually welcomed back (or want to go back) to their old gigs?
It all depends.

Bylsma was "called up" with 25 games left in 08-09 and went on to win the Cup with the Pens.

Bruce Boudreau was "called up" with 61 games left in 07-08 and stuck around with the Caps for 3 1/4 seasons before he was fired.

So, there are AHL head coaches that have gotten the promotion to the big club and stuck recently.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:16 AM
joshjull

From Bakes

@SabresProspects: expect Rolston's blueprint to be a tight, defensive system that is rigidly enforced with roles defined. Trotz, Sutter, etc.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:27 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
From Bakes

@SabresProspects: expect Rolston's blueprint to be a tight, defensive system that is rigidly enforced with roles defined. Trotz, Sutter, etc.
A breath of fresh air. If the Sabres get to even middle if the pack in the shots allowed department, and cut down the high quality chances, Miller could be having a Vezina caliber season.

The question is...will it work?

Old
02-21-2013, 08:27 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
My fear with Rolston being promoted is that his learning curve from collegiate to the minors and now to the NHL - all in less than 2 years - will become another crutch for the team to use to write off not only this season but next year as well. Injuries were the company calling card for explaining last season's failures.

I don't want a new, inexperienced coach trying to learn the ins and outs of the NHL and 29 other teams to be the next excuse.
Hate that this meme still circulates.

They said injuries contributed. They didn't say injuries were the reason.

But revisionist history is cool too.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:33 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Rolston at Traverse City

Old
02-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If he gets blood from these stones, great. A fresh voice behind the bench might wake up some of these slugs. And if he fails? Well, that gives them the summer to interview candidates.

If he wakes them up, we may get better hockey to watch. If not, we may get a serious talent at the top end of the draft.

02-21-2013, 08:38 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post

Rolston at Traverse City
Really liked how he actually was "coaching" the team instead of Ruff screaming down there backs the last few years from what I've seen sitting a few row sup from him.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:40 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
From Bakes

Hm okay. He had the worst defensive team in the league just a month ago. And not for a lack of talent.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Hm okay. He had the worst defensive team in the league just a month ago. And not for a lack of talent.
Well, apparently he was told to mimic Lindy's system, so I'm interested in seeing what he does when he has full control.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
I believe so. He was the head coach of the US dev. team from 2004-2011, and Jones played with that team in 10-11 and 11-12, so Rolston coached him for a year.
I don't think so.

In 10-11, Jones was on the U-17 team and Rolston coached the U-18 team.

Closed Thread