HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your hockey credentials / experience, etc.?

Old
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
CBJ IN CIN

vCash: 500
I'm just a fan. I've played for fun since college, fitting in mostly as a playmaking center. Like someone else mentioned, I'm a member of SIHR, a good place to pick up new information about hockey. I don't claim to be any type of expert but will say I know my stuff. That said, I also know my place and defer to those with real ife experience. As Bill James has shown in baseball, though, you don't have to be from the sports world to know what you are doing.

CBJ IN CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:12 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I don't know anything. Just here to annoy people.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 321
Grew up in Cleveland, watched the old Cleveland Barons (and Fred Glover) in the 1960's with the old chicken wire up around the rink. Been a fan since probably 1960, also a fan of the old Cleveland Crusaders, St. Louis Blues, and Blackhawks.

I am an expert in bad hockey, as I followed the old NHL Barons (formerly Seals) in the 70's remembering fondly Randy Holt, Gilbert Meloche, Denis Maruk, and the 3 M line.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Mingo

I tried to start to play hockey when i was 6 to around age 10 but the ******* pediatrician told my 'rents it was too dangerous and my parents being very concerned for me held me out of it. Oh... they let me play tackle football before highschool, but (non contact) hockey was out of the question. So i gave up on that until about 5 or 6 years ago.

Since then I try to play hockey whenever i can. I'll be on three teams starting with the new year, so im looking forward to playing many many nights. Two leagues I'll be goaltending in, and one skating.

Goaltending is probably my favorite position, but i will say that i'm annoyed at how few goaltenders there are. I haven't played a skating position for a year now because the team always needs a goalie.

As a skater, I prefer center, but i'm trying to learn the defensive side of the game... positionally sound, but my skating, while not bad, is not where it should be.

eh, to make it all short, 5 or 6 years. playing. watching.

Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 12:43 AM
sbkbghockey

Playing: I come from a hockey family so I've been skating since I could walk, my parents put me on the ice and I took off... Grew up watching NHL hockey and going to AHL games in the Northeast US. Played house and travel ice and some roller hockey growing up. Played Tier I high school ice hockey, team leader in goals and points Jr. year and tied for 3rd in pts my Sr. year. Also was the captain Jr. and Sr. years. After the on-ice successes, I was also asked to play on our high school's new roller hockey team my Sr. year as well. After HS I played in an elite hockey tournament in Montreal Quebec. I was asked to play college roller hockey for my old school but declined (Even though I've played roller off and on, Ice is my home)... so I took a year off to work on school, transferred to BG and now playing ACHA DII hockey.

Non-playing: Pursuing a degree in Sports Management. Worked as a skating instructor off and on for several years as well as volunteered to teach new skaters. I also do play-by play and/or color commentator for broadcasts of local high school and some college hockey games.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:43 PM
gocbj

Bump

Lots of "where are they now" responses from 2007 and 2008, but I thought it was worth revisiting since there are a lot of new names since.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:50 PM
MFRONE

Everything I know about hockey can be attributed back to NHL 93 for the Sega Genesis

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
blahblah

Holy Necro Batman.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:03 PM
OldGoaltender

Played juniors also been following since the 60s. Back then my favorite team was the Blackhawks. Had a man crush on Tony Esposito. Styled my game after his.

OldGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:35 PM
EspenK

Stay at home defenseman.

I was so bad the coach told me to stay home.

Just a fan.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:01 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Wow some screen names that I had forgotten about in this thread.

02-12-2013, 09:19 PM
slightlystewpid420

vCash: 250
Started skating when I was 6. Played for the Dayton bombers(Jr bombers) until I moved to Cleveland in 5th grade. Played for the Mentor Cardinals for until I moved to Columbus in 6th grade. Played for the Jackets for 2 years, played for the Worthington Wild until hs, both Thomas and Kilbourne wanted me to play for them(goalie) but I chose WKHS. Jr year I played for the U16 Capitals(moved up and played u18) My Sr I left to play Jr hockey in wisconsin, which ended being the death of my hockey career, league folded and I came back to play half a season at Kilbourne and lost to Dublin Jerome in OT in the 3rd place game in the league. Haven't played in like 4 years since(besides pickup and adult league) Currently living in Oregon and the Portland State coach wants me to come play for them (DIII Club I believe) Not much but it'll get me back on the ice and in shape.

I knew/played with both Sean Kuraly and Connor Murphy. And by play I mean drop ins haha. We used to go to the adult drop ins when we were like 16. Also every Tuesday and Thursday morning Rob Shriner(played for the chill) had private drop ins and had many jackets, ex echl/AHL players and lots and lots of Jr and college players come and I played in those all summer from the time I was 13 until like 16ish

Last edited by slightlystewpid420: 02-12-2013 at 09:26 PM.
slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

I grew up on skates but somehow ended up on the basketball court? It seemed like everyone in my family was involved with hockey except me. My uncle was a coach for a small D-I college in the Northeast and our neighbor was an assistant at RIT. Picked up hockey in college because the opportunity was there and I have been obsessed ever since. Today, I have been able to play in pretty competitive leagues because of my skating but my skill is really lacking.

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:00 AM
major major

Grew up in Nova Scotia playing hockey in rotten auditoriums and frozen ocean coves. My uncle took my bro and I to hockey school (same uncle coached at UNB with Doug Maclean, was Doug's Boss I remember).

Played shinny once with a kid from Cole Harbour. Can't remember his name.

Moved to Ohio in middle school and fell in love with the Jackets. They really suck. I probably would have given up on them by now but I sometimes hear Canadians say things like "Why does Columbus have a team, what are there, two hockey fans?" Those same Canadians are clueless that Ohio is *********g freezing in the winter, full of hockey fans, and two Ohio boys just contributed to whooping Team Canada at the World Juniors. This place is going to ********n explode if the Jackets ever win the cup.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Haha, going to show my age here.

Lived in Phoenix till I was 12. After moving to Columbus in 65, became a big Rangers fan, and then in 67 changed allegiances to the Blues. Mainly because I could listen to their games on KMOX radio. Loved listening to Dan Kelly Sr. call those games. Then, of course the CBJ in 2000.

Played pond hockey during my high school years, when we had ice. We made goalie pads out of carpet under-padding, and used a catchers mitt for the glove. One of the guys parents bought him a goalie stick at the old Harley-Davidson's sports store, and whoever played goalie used it.

When there was no ice we played street hockey.

Never played organized hockey, and really after high school, never ice skated much anymore.

Just been a huge fan since 1965.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:57 AM
jackets4life
Nosebleed Native

Just a college kid who can't skate well but has enjoyed countless hours of shooting on a net outside...let's just say the garage door has seen better days with my shot accuracy. Uncle turned me onto hockey back in '97 when I was 4 and haven't turned back since. Die-hard Penguins fan until Jackets came to town, Room is covered with autographed stuff from Mario Lemieux and Ron Francis to Kevin Dineen, Nasher, even Sidney Crosby. Also an avid card collector of the sport. Been a great ride so far, the sport is definitely in my blood, as it is with anyone else here.

As for my authority/knowledge about hockey, I probably think I know more than I do, but I sure do enjoy talking anything NHL/College/CHL any day of the week, any time of the day, that's what really matters.

jackets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
VandyBuck

Born in Springfield MA...my Ohio parents bought a house in Springfield MA that belonged to hockey playing carpenters. There was a weird structure built of railroad ties in the backyard that they had no idea about until that winter when people from all over town parked in front of our house and went to the backyard. Lo and behold, it was an outdoor hockey rink. My dad got a custom made tarp at the hardware store and got the hose out post haste.

I learned to skate as a 2 year old, with a chair, on my backyard rink. Played for the Springfield Junior Indians travel club until I was 9 (defenseman, lefty shot). Moved to Seattle...local rink was an hour and a half one way...mom and dad said play basketball.

Moved to Ohio and picked up hockey in high school and then played club in college. I was much more of a talent in my very, very early years and lost everything during my seven year hiatus.

Now just a fan...with hopes of finding a job that will allow my time at the rink some day.

VandyBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Proud member of the CAHA alumni...

Started playing roller hockey at the old Sportsite on Henderson road in Columbus, really miss that place. Started playing on ice after 3-4 years and absolutely fell in love with it - from playing my first year in the league on a team that only lost 5 games all season, to only winning 6 or 7 games the next year; it was all amazing and I have numerous life-long friends because of it.

Moved to Spokane in 2003 and have played rec league hockey ever since. We have a tight-knit group of guys that all get along extremely well, and again, I feel like I have lifelong friends. Began dabbling in the scouting world as soon as I "discovered" junior hockey ... so I've been doing this for roughly 9-10 years now.

EDIT: I play center.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:31 PM
bizzz*

I used to play for unique hockey school. In the other thread I mentioned that I was coached by the better coaches of my country. Well, anyone who played hockey was coached by the best cause we had only one ice rink with artificial ice in the whole country till 1989. I was a big and bad skating defenseman and played till 14 when they cut me off. As a kid I used to play with that guy:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=11263
Only the best were taken to the other level and I never played hockey regularly again. We had no recreational hockey whatsoever, only on winter time at outdoor rinks.
The reason my hockey school is unique. In 2002 at the Olympics in Salt Lake City the team that had 21 players from my school won quarterfinal game against Sweden and finished 4th. That's like if Dublin,OH hockey school team would have finished 4th at the Olympics. That was our Miracle on ice.
Now they've built like 40 ice-rinks all over the country, but the team lost Olympics qualification to Slovenia. New generation sucks.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:15 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Grew up in Nova Scotia playing hockey in rotten auditoriums and frozen ocean coves. My uncle took my bro and I to hockey school (same uncle coached at UNB with Doug Maclean, was Doug's Boss I remember).

Played shinny once with a kid from Cole Harbour. Can't remember his name.

Moved to Ohio in middle school and fell in love with the Jackets. They really suck. I probably would have given up on them by now but I sometimes hear Canadians say things like "Why does Columbus have a team, what are there, two hockey fans?" Those same Canadians are clueless that Ohio is *********g freezing in the winter, full of hockey fans, and two Ohio boys just contributed to whooping Team Canada at the World Juniors. This place is going to ********n explode if the Jackets ever win the cup.
make it FOUR. Two Dublin boys plus JT Miller and Tyler Biggs.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:02 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzz View Post
make it FOUR. Two Dublin boys plus JT Miller and Tyler Biggs.
You're right. That's awesome. We deserve some respect around here.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:16 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

This thread premise is flawed.
If playing experience meant you were an expert then how do you explain Ken Hitchcock vs Scott Howson?

Grew up on CCM skates (leather, baby). Lost more pucks down sewers, in snow banks, and through holes in the pond than I care to remember. Gone to and watched more hockey since i was 5 than I recall or probably should have. Coached various sports up to Jr High School.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Never played and don't know how to skate despite occasional attempts to learn. But I did used to play around with first some cheap street hockey sticks my parents got for me, my brother, and my sister, and later some nicer-quality ones and an actual street hockey puck (and sometimes an actual ice hockey puck, although we never got anywhere with it ). We mostly messed around on the driveway, which is cracked and uneven asphalt.

I'd actually forgotten about that until one day not too long ago when I was going through my parents' garage and found the hockey sticks we were playing with in there. Brought back memories...

Other than that and occasionally playing Blades Of Steel against my brother (he always picked LA and I always picked Edmonton), I'd had no prior experience until hearing George on the radio regularly up and down I-71. Everything else comes from obscene amounts of obsessive research.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:14 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Credentials? Playing experience?

None. None.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
In-line three years, ice one summer but all in mid-late 40's (age)... to little, to late, to old; had to quit after tearing MCL...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote