HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 Draft Draft Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 11:22 PM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Hav'nt got a PM as of yet but Viking Maniacs selects Ulf Samuelsson.
pppppfffffffttttttttt!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Hawkman
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
pppppfffffffttttttttt!!!!!!!!!
Hey, ATD 2013 is so awesome it's not just a draft, it's a draft draft!

Old
02-20-2013, 11:48 PM
nik jr

UAF selects C Steven Stamkos.

not a player i was thinking about until recently, but he has been one of the best F's in the world for 3 going on 4 seasons, has played only about 100 fewer games than crosby and malkin (though many fewer playoff games), and only a few seasons less than drillon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
After reading TDMM's bio on Lester Patrick from last year, he's not as big of a player's coach as I had thought. Given your team circumstances I think your choice is understandable, with the bolded as a good explanation.
i did not read TDMM's bio, but i obviously should have. stupid oversight by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
In the past, we wondered why his Hart record was so much better than his All-Star record. Well, I think that Dutton's 5th place finish in Hart voting in 1936 seems to be for his contributions as player-coach, and seems to have had nothing to do with how he performed as a player. If it did, why would the exact same writers who gave him Hart consideration not even throw him a single All-Star vote? His wikipedia page calls him a player-coach for 1935-36, and here's an article that says that Dutton would become the second playing-coach the NHL has ever seen since Lionel Conacher: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...d+dutton&hl=en. Once you understand why he got Hart votes for 1936, the rest of his record doesn't look that crazy. 1932 is a little strange, but not that crazy.

Edit: Dutton was 37 years old in 1935-36 and would retire as a player after the season was over and go into coaching full-time.

I see Dutton as a good defensive-minded #4, not a great one, like I used to.
i once saw a report about a player who played 0 games but got a vote for hart purely for leadership.

Quote:
Who's better, Dave Andreychuk or Tim Kerr?

Edit: Andreychuk was pretty good at faceoffs late in his career, at least.
i was thinking of the same question when i was thinking of picking kerr.

kerr was obviously better at his peak, but andreychuk's career was nearly 3 times longer, and andreychuk became a 2 way player later in his career.

Last edited by nik jr: 02-20-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Hey, ATD 2013 is so awesome it's not just a draft, it's a draft draft!
What is this, some kind of north american lingo?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:55 PM
BubbaBoot

Hey nik, I think you're up.....

Old
02-20-2013, 11:56 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
What is this, some kind of north american lingo?
No, it's the Bostonian version of the Bronx Cheer for anything Ulf.....

Old
02-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
No, it's the Bostonian version of the Bronx Cheer for anything Ulf.....
Aha okey, Mission Hill is near or in Boston i take it. Oh, by the way, it takes two to do a knee on knee.

Surely i'm looking forward to Ulf maybe crippling Gretzky or something.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:09 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Hey nik, I think you're up.....
Bub, I can take a list if you gotta leave.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Darth Yoda

One thing i dont understand about the ATD is how a guy like Stamkos are gonna be treated. Like Lindros who i envision will be trusted to be out of the lineup for stretches? Lindros played more games than Stammer.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:15 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
One thing i dont understand about the ATD is how a guy like Stamkos are gonna be treated. Like Lindros who i envision will be trusted to be out of the lineup for stretches? Lindros played more games than Stammer.
Imagine if his career ended today, how does his resume look compared to other goal scorers? Thats all we can go by.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Imagine if his career ended today, how does his resume look compared to other goal scorers? Thats all we can go by.
Okey. Like an even more short lived Pavel Bure then, but with intangibles on top. Yeah that's the only way to go by, that's interesting.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:20 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Okey. Like an even more short lived Pavel Bure then, but with intangibles on top. Yeah that's the only way to go by, that's interesting.
He's quite far behind Bure at this point.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:34 AM
BubbaBoot

I need three positions filled immediately but I only have one selection....so any which way is going to be tough.

I've gone through my lists and I've been looking all over for something better and see a bunch of maybes, could bes and I don't knows....

Even though I'm jumping the gun with this one I can't resist it, putting this line back together again and this guy us so versatile.

The Boston Mules select Dave Poulin / CTR.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:36 AM
BubbaBoot

ck26 has been PMed.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
I don't think injuries are really taken into account on a consistent basis during the voting, but if/when they are, Stamkos isn't in the same boat as Lindros. While Lindros played more games total, he played less games per season.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:38 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Wow, I thought you guys were talking about an undrafted when you were talking about Stamkos. I didn't realize nik actually picked him. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:44 AM
BubbaBoot

I don't know, Stamkos actually crossed my mind a couple of times....I mean I've got a couple of guys with huge peaks and then injuries cut them short, diminishing their skills and making them part-timers. How far away is Stamkos from them really?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:46 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't know, Stamkos actually crossed my mind a couple of times....I mean I've got a couple of guys with huge peaks and then injuries cut them short, diminishing their skills and making them part-timers. How far away is Stamkos from them really?
Yeah, I mean, I'm sure Stamkos is worthy at some point, and maybe this is a good spot for him on an "all-time" list, but as a shoot-first center who isn't really known as a two-way player, he's awfully hard to build around, so I probably just wouldn't bother. Nik's a good GM though, so we'll see what he has up his sleave.

Strange to see so many experienced GMs go with 3 scoring lines.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, I'm sure Stamkos is worthy at some point, and maybe this is a good spot for him on an "all-time" list, but as a shoot-first center who isn't really known as a two-way player, he's awfully hard to build around, so I probably just wouldn't bother. Nik's a good GM though, so we'll see what he has up his sleave.

I'm actually trying to balance mine and going with the trad 1st line gunners / 2nd line stellar two-way / 3rd line checking (although these guys are pretty good on offense) / 4th line energy& nastiness....of course given the context there will be some decent offense among them 4th liners.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I don't think injuries are really taken into account on a consistent basis during the voting, but if/when they are, Stamkos isn't in the same boat as Lindros. While Lindros played more games total, he played less games per season.
Yeah but it was therefore i brought Lindros up. Stamkos still played less games then him, but was healthy. Lets face it, Stamkos if nothing unforseen happens will be an all-time great, so it will be interesting to see how he gets treated here in the ATD. But as i said, it's the only way we can handle active players like him.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I'm actually trying to balance mine and going with the trad 1st line gunners / 2nd line stellar two-way / 3rd line checking (although these guys are pretty good on offense) / 4th line energy& nastiness....of course given the context there will be some decent offense among them 4th liners.
Just like real life I never expect much of anything out of the 4th lines except 6 or 7 shifts a game of crashing and banging.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:42 AM
nik jr

Quote:

i was originally planning to pick among some 2 way depth players, but changed my mind. i don't think i have ever used 3 scoring lines before.

i think stamkos is different from a standard shoot first C, b/c he often plays off the puck for one-timers, which also makes him a great weapon on PP. he plays more like a W, but at C. i think shoot first players who like to carry the puck are a lot more difficult to build around.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:08 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Has Stamkos ever played RW? For whatever reason, still, whenever I hear his name ''right winger'' is visioned in my mind.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:08 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Les Nordiques de Québec are pleased to select the player we have as arguably the best pure scorer left: RW Gordie Drillon

I never liked Drillon back where he used to be picked because he was such a limited player, but at this point his pure offensive game is way ahead of everybody else. Drillon was the last guy to whom I was referring way back in the 8th round when I said there were still a few guys out there who were arguably the best offensive player available. I would personally never attempt to build a third scoringline around Gordie Drillon, but his value at this point is undeniable.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:11 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I never liked Drillon back where he used to be picked because he was such a limited player, but at this point his pure offensive game is way ahead of everybody else. Drillon was the last guy to whom I was referring way back in the 8th round when I said there were still a few guys out there who were arguably the best offensive player available. I would personally never attempt to build a third scoringline around Gordie Drillon, but his value at this point is undeniable.
I regret taking him where I did last year, bad pick on my part. I was very nieve about his poor habits outside of the offensive zone. His peak is phenom-like though.

Closed Thread