HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Minnesota NHL Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
  #1
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
All-Minnesota NHL Team

I was bored and sick of looking at "Fire Yeo" and "Take the C from Koivu" threads so I cooked up an all-Minnesota team. I think I've seen this done on here before but it's always fun to look at how many good young players we are producing in this state. I know it's completely hypothetical and is never going to happen but this is a message board, so why not?

Forwards-

Zach Parise-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Peter Mueller-Derek Stepan-Blake Wheeler
Matt Cullen-Jordan Schroeder-Kyle Okposo
Ryan Carter-Matt Hendricks-Jim O'Brien

Extra- Jamie Langenbrunner

The real strength is the defense, you've got 6 guys who play top pairing minutes for their current teams.

Ryan McDonagh-Dustin Byfuglien
Paul Martin-Erik Johnson
Alex Goligoski-Justin Faulk

Extras: Tom Gilbert, Nick Leddy, Matt Niskanen

Goaltending would be the weakness, not a single NHL regular from the state but I think Stalock, Lee and/or Eric Hartzell of Quinnipiac could break through soon. For now I would go with-

Alex Stalock
Mike Lee
Jeff Frazee

Anyone I'm forgetting/any changes you guys would make?

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
  #2
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,195
vCash: 500
Look at those goalies. Man.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
  #3
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Look at those goalies. Man.
Kind of sad isn't it? Not sure what you could attribute it to other than the lack of games on the MN high school and college hockey schedule. Goalies definitely need a lot of games to develop but at the same time you've got a lot of great American goalies from other states who went the high school to college hockey route.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
  #4
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,458
vCash: 500
Didn't realize Mueller was from Minnesota, nice. Isn't Jason Blake from Minnesota too?

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:08 PM
  #5
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Didn't realize Mueller was from Minnesota, nice. Isn't Jason Blake from Minnesota too?
Yes, Blake is a Moorhead guy but I believe he retired last year.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
  #6
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 500
The team is great until you see the goalies lol.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
  #7
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I think I've seen this done on here before but it's always fun to look at how many good young players we are producing in this state. I know it's completely hypothetical and is never going to happen but this is a message board, so why not?
Yeah and that thread was closed.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
  #8
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Didn't realize Mueller was from Minnesota, nice.
I went to school with him before he transferred to Bloomington. Used to sit by him in math and social studies. Nice kid but cocky (surprise surprise).

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:29 PM
  #9
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I went to school with him before he transferred to Bloomington. Used to sit by him in math and social studies. Nice kid but cocky (surprise surprise).
Ha, tell me about it.

I went to school with a certain CBJ propsect and he was the same. He's still like that on the ice as well but he's a good player at least.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
  #10
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 500
As far as the OP goes, if we made an all-time Minnesota team, the top 12 would be chalk full of 1st liners. And the goalie situation would look a lot better. Frank Brimsek, Jon Casey, Mike Karakas, Damian Rhodes were all Minnesota-born goalies with decent career numbers.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
  #11
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I went to school with him before he transferred to Bloomington. Used to sit by him in math and social studies. Nice kid but cocky (surprise surprise).
I did several events with him here in Washington while he was playing for the Everett Silvertips. Very nice kid.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
  #12
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
That team in the OP would be a contender for sure. And really, who needs a star goalie when you've got D like that? I mean, wow.

__________________


Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
  #13
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 475
And Bjugstad is not far away!

Not sure what Brock Nelson's NHL future is, but dang that kid is good.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:26 PM
  #14
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
And Bjugstad is not far away!

Not sure what Brock Nelson's NHL future is, but dang that kid is good.
I was very tempted to put Bjugstad at the 3C over Schroeder but I stuck with all NHL guys. Nelson and Anders Lee are both going to be good ones in a few years too.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:34 PM
  #15
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
We need to combine Finland and Minnesota and create an NHL team from there.

Our weakness is D, so I don't think any Finn (maybe apart from Timonen) is going to make the roster. Otherwise, I'd lay it out like this:

Forwards:

Zach Parise-Mikko Koivu-Teemu Selänne
Peter Mueller-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Matt Cullen-Saku Koivu-Tuomo Ruutu
Ryan Carter-Derek Stepan-Kyle Okposo

Extras/HM: Olli Jokinen, Ville Leino, Leo Komarov

Case can be made for OJ over Saku, but with his hot start in Anaheim, I couldn't justify leaving him out and I never liked Olli that much at all. Probably forgot someone there and I'm not sure if Stepan works as a 4th line center or not.

Defense:

Ryan McDonagh-Dustin Byfuglien
Paul Martin-Erik Johnson
Kimmo Timonen - Tom Gilbert

Extras/HM: Alex Goligoski, Justin Faulk, Nick Leddy, Matt Niskanen, Sami Salo

Swapped Goli and Faulk out of the roster in favor of Timonen and Gilbert. Those two could be lethal together, and it brings some veteran experience to the line-up as well. Otherwise, not many Finnish contributions to the D, showcasing the sad state of our defense.

Goaltenders:

Pekka Rinne
Kari Lehtonen

Extras/HM: Niklas Bäckström, Tuukka Rask, Miikka Kiprusoff, Antti Niemi

Aaaand this is where we would kiss goodbye to the salary cap and just run with it. Goalie depth really shouldn't be an issue.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:50 AM
  #16
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
And the newly created nation of Finnesota went on to defeat Canada in the 2014 Olympics.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:54 AM
  #17
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,028
vCash: 1000
Hopefully Kent Patterson makes an impact at the NHL level to boost our goaltending depth.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
  #18
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Hopefully Kent Patterson makes an impact at the NHL level to boost our goaltending depth.
Hopefully, it will be a tough road for him if he stays with Colorado though with three young goalies in Varlamov, Aittokallio, and Pickard all ahead of him at this point.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:24 AM
  #19
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
And the newly created nation of Finnesota went on to defeat Canada in the 2014 Olympics.




Now, can you imagine the collective rage of the whole Canada if that happened? Also, would make international hockey very interesting, especially the WJC:s.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:32 AM
  #20
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
 
Marlowe Syn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the grift
Country: United States
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 500
I took a twist on your time killer Jaykay. I went with an Minnesota college alum lineup.
Forwards:
Thomas Vanek(UofM) / David Backes(Mankato) / Phil Kessel(UofM)
Matt Read(Bemidji) / Jordan Schroeder(UofM) / Blake Wheeler(UofM)
Ryan Malone(SCSU) / Matt Cullen(SCSU) / Kyle Okposo(UofM)
Andreas Nodl(SCSU) / Matt Hendricks(SCSU) / Tim Jackman(Mankato)
Bench: Ryan Carter(Mankato)
Defense:
Alex Goligoski(UofM) / Erik Johnson(UofM)
Jason Garrison(UMD) / Matt Niskanen(UMD)
Paul Martin(UofM) / Justin Faulk(UMD)
Bench: Keith Ballard(UofM)
Nick Leddy(UofM)

Goalie:
Jeff Frazee(UofM)
Alex Stalock(UMD)


Still don't fare well between the pipes. Gonna have a lot of 7-6 games.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:01 AM
  #21
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I was bored and sick of looking at "Fire Yeo" and "Take the C from Koivu" threads so I cooked up an all-Minnesota team. I think I've seen this done on here before but it's always fun to look at how many good young players we are producing in this state. I know it's completely hypothetical and is never going to happen but this is a message board, so why not?

Forwards-

Zach Parise-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Peter Mueller-Derek Stepan-Blake Wheeler
Matt Cullen-Jordan Schroeder-Kyle Okposo
Ryan Carter-Matt Hendricks-Jim O'Brien

Extra- Jamie Langenbrunner

The real strength is the defense, you've got 6 guys who play top pairing minutes for their current teams.

Ryan McDonagh-Dustin Byfuglien
Paul Martin-Erik Johnson
Alex Goligoski-Justin Faulk

Extras: Tom Gilbert, Nick Leddy, Matt Niskanen

Goaltending would be the weakness, not a single NHL regular from the state but I think Stalock, Lee and/or Eric Hartzell of Quinnipiac could break through soon. For now I would go with-

Alex Stalock
Mike Lee
Jeff Frazee

Anyone I'm forgetting/any changes you guys would make?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...669&highlight=

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
  #22
Dampland
Heavily Moderated
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Job Search City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
As far as the OP goes, if we made an all-time Minnesota team, the top 12 would be chalk full of 1st liners. And the goalie situation would look a lot better. Frank Brimsek, Jon Casey, Mike Karakas, Damian Rhodes were all Minnesota-born goalies with decent career numbers.

... "and he's STONEWALLED by Casey on the breakaway!"

Who can forget Jon Casey.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:22 PM
  #23
Wildfish
Registered User
 
Wildfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Siberia, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Yes, Blake is a Moorhead guy but I believe he retired last year.
He wanted to play. Couldn't find a contract. So he's retired.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
  #24
Crimson Live
Registered User
 
Crimson Live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Örnsköldsvik
Country: Sweden
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Nobody mentioning Jake Gardiner from Tonka?

Also Nelson will have a better career in the NHL than Bjugstad


Last edited by Crimson Live: 02-27-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Crimson Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
  #25
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Live View Post
Nobody mentioning Jake Gardiner from Tonka? or Justin Faulk from South St. Paul?

Also Nelson will have a better career in the NHL than Bjugstad
Justin Faulk is in the OP's, and every other lineup too.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.