HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Groupings for Sochi announced

Old
02-12-2013, 03:00 AM
joe89

vCash: 500
Norway will be able to cause good teams trouble imo. Because they don't have any NHL players(but good SEL & KHL players) right now, they have both a lot of chemistry and are beneficiaries of the big ice. Especially early on in the tournament it's an advantage.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:33 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Seeding:
Group A: Russia (1), Slovakia (6), USA (7), Slovenia (18)
Group B: Finland (2), Canada (5), Norway (8), Austria (15)
Group C: Czech Republic (3), Sweden (4), Switzerland (9), Latvia (11)
canadian bias all over again

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:07 AM
ukyote

Send a message via MSN to ukyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
My prediction

1: Swe 2-0-1-0 8 pts
2: Can 2-0-1-0 8 pts
3: Fin 2-0-0-1 7 pts
4: Czh 1-0-1-1 6 pts
5: Rus 1-0-1-1 6pts
6: Svk 1-0-1-1 6 pts
7: Usa 1-0-1-1 6 pts
8: Nor 1-0-0-0 3 pts
9: Swi 0-1-1-1 3 pts
10: Lat 0-2-0-1 1 pts
11: Aus 0-0-0-0 0 pts
12: Svn 0-0-0-0 0 pts

Qual
Swi def Nor
Rus def Svn
Svk def Aus
Usa def Lat

QF
Swe def Swi
Cze def Rus
Svk def Fin
Can def Usa

SF
Cze def Swe
Svk def Can

Bronze
Swe def Can

Gold
Svk def Cze

MVP
Halak

HF blows up from semi final on
A Slovakia Czech Rep final, with Slovakia winning, would be unbelievable!

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:07 AM
EbencoyE

The US has only themselves to blame for their seeding. The same guys that are going to be on this team are the same players that decided getting ****faced over the off-season (looking at you Patrick Kane) is more important than playing for the national team.

I wish USA Hockey would start refusing to take players to the Olympics who pass up on the WC team. Take the guys that actually care about giving back to the programs that developed them and not the guys who just want to be on TV at the opening ceremony.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
That is my point, for a team to be the best second place team they will need to run up the score against someone in the top 3 of the pool which won't happen in that pool.

lol at you thinking I'm that ignorant to take shots at Slovak Hockey.
I knew what you meant, I was only messing with ya, hense the winky face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
The US has only themselves to blame for their seeding. The same guys that are going to be on this team are the same players that decided getting ****faced over the off-season (looking at you Patrick Kane) is more important than playing for the national team.
It doesn't really matter anyway. To win gold (or any medal) you are sooner or later going to have to beat a few very good teams.

But ya... If the US wants a better IIHF ranking leading to a potentially more favourable draw in IIHF sanctioned tournaments like the Olympics they should start sending better teams to IIHF tournaments that the rankings are based on. Over the past decade or so at the WC the US has more trips to the relagation round than medals. For a country with as large a player pool as the US this shouldn't be happening.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
flyers28giroux

Quote:

I wish USA Hockey would start refusing to take players to the Olympics who pass up on the WC team. Take the guys that actually care about giving back to the programs that developed them and not the guys who just want to be on TV at the opening ceremony.
I'm mean sure it would be nice to be playing against teams Finland and Norway like Canada does in Group B but I personally don't have a problem with the US playing against Russia and Slovakia, it forces them to play with a sense of urgency from the start and get the 3 points on a nightly basis so they can advance beyond the preliminary round.

With respect to Patrick Kane, I agree it was pretty selfish of him to not represent his country at the World Championships, it's just a shame considering many of the top European players like Chara, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zetterberg, etc... seem to gladly accept the invite to represent their countries at this tournament last year and throughout the years. It's a shame.

flyers28giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Oan

Did I miss something, or since when Finland is a "walk" for Canada? In 2006 Olympics group stage Finland beat Canada you know, and Finland tends to always overachieve in Olympics.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
JackSlater

As a Canadian fan, I hate group B. Hardly any time to see if the starting goaltender is up to snuff (which has clearly been a Canadian issue at past Olympic tournaments) and if the lines have any legitimate chemistry. I hope the Finland game is informative, and I wouldn't mind seeing Canada play a qualifying match after group play.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:32 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
As a Canadian fan, I hate group B. Hardly any time to see if the starting goaltender is up to snuff (which has clearly been a Canadian issue at past Olympic tournaments) and if the lines have any legitimate chemistry. I hope the Finland game is informative, and I wouldn't mind seeing Canada play a qualifying match after group play.
Wholeheartedly agree. Our game against Germany in the qualifying round in 2010 was when Babcock shuffled the lines and put together the Toews-Nash-Richards unit that was so good for us the rest of the way through, and bumped up Morrow to the Getzlaf-Perry combo which gave them some life (they were a non-factor up to that point). Theoretically the bye past the qualifying round should help, but at least for Canadians, that extra game has helped us in the past. And, as another poster above said, we'll have to beat at least a few excellent teams to win gold anyway.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
My prediction

1: Swe 2-0-1-0 8 pts
2: Can 2-0-1-0 8 pts
3: Fin 2-0-0-1 7 pts
4: Czh 1-0-1-1 6 pts
5: Rus 1-0-1-1 6pts
6: Svk 1-0-1-1 6 pts
7: Usa 1-0-1-1 6 pts
8: Nor 1-0-0-0 3 pts
9: Swi 0-1-1-1 3 pts
10: Lat 0-2-0-1 1 pts
11: Aus 0-0-0-0 0 pts
12: Svn 0-0-0-0 0 pts

Qual
Swi def Nor
Rus def Svn
Svk def Aus
Usa def Lat

QF
Swe def Swi
Cze def Rus
Svk def Fin
Can def Usa

SF
Cze def Swe
Svk def Can

Bronze
Swe def Can

Gold
Svk def Cze

MVP
Halak

HF blows up from semi final on
Group winners automatically make the QF. You have 4 teams from Group A in the qualifying round.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Namejs
Cipuli iemet ripuli

For some reason I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances in the Olympics. We've fared quite well against all the teams in our group lately.

1W 1L vs Sweden
1W 1L vs Switzerland
Always pretty close games vs the Czechs, including an OT loss in Vancouver.

Big ice advantage, most players from the KHL, decent team chemistry. Sweden will probably have a slow start with their NHL-based squad.

A QF berth would be refreshing after a very long string of disastrous finishes in the OG.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Djp

Quote:
Neither do I. When we play you guys I either see a decent U.S. win or we get absolutely blown out by you guys. The three of us dogging it out for two spots while Canada gets the walk makes me sick.
What I would rather see is them go to a 4 group 4 team system in the olympics.

the tournament would be 3 round robin games

group winners get a bye
2nd vs 3rd are the play in round with winners facing the group winners

With this system it will be less on the NHL players....which also means the league wouldnt have to shut down for 2 weeks.

What they could do is play NHL games opening weekend of the Olympics 9Friday/Saturdayy)

The players travel to the Olympics for a Wednesday start.

Round robin Wed-Sun
Tues play in round
Wed Quarters
Thur off
Fri semis
sat silver
Sun gold

the NHL impact would be limited where

they play 1 game Sun-Tues

they shut down from Wed-Thur (or they play only 2 games this stretch)

they resume play on Friday/Saturday games

for the Qualification tournaments they really should have done the first round in September 2012 or May 2013.

then the Olympic qualification round in September 2013.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:01 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
What I would rather see is them go to a 4 group 4 team system in the olympics.

the tournament would be 3 round robin games

group winners get a bye
2nd vs 3rd are the play in round with winners facing the group winners

With this system it will be less on the NHL players....which also means the league wouldnt have to shut down for 2 weeks.

What they could do is play NHL games opening weekend of the Olympics 9Friday/Saturdayy)

The players travel to the Olympics for a Wednesday start.

Round robin Wed-Sun
Tues play in round
Wed Quarters
Thur off
Fri semis
sat silver
Sun gold

the NHL impact would be limited where

they play 1 game Sun-Tues

they shut down from Wed-Thur (or they play only 2 games this stretch)

they resume play on Friday/Saturday games

for the Qualification tournaments they really should have done the first round in September 2012 or May 2013.

then the Olympic qualification round in September 2013.
No NHL games during the Olympics, the players deserve to be at the opening ceremonies

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Personally when the Olympics are going, I really don't even think about the NHL at all. It use to be the other way but with the emergence of my national team at the junior level and the level at which the game is played on a national level in terms of talent, its no contest.I finally understand what the Swedes and Russians were talking about. When the Olympics are on, I am completely enamored for a good 3 months leading up to it. NHL completely takes a back seat.

We really all need to thank NBC for making the Olympics with NHL players happen.
The NHL didn't know it but when they accepted the NBC's national spotlight contract, it was going to be a foregone conclusion to include their own players.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Personally when the Olympics are going, I really don't even think about the NHL at all. It use to be the other way but with the emergence of my national team at the junior level and the level at which the game is played on a national level in terms of talent, its no contest.I finally understand what the Swedes and Russians were talking about. When the Olympics are on, I am completely enamored for a good 3 months leading up to it. NHL completely takes a back seat.

We really all need to thank NBC for making the Olympics with NHL players happen.
The NHL didn't know it but when they accepted the NBC's national spotlight contract, it was going to be a foregone conclusion to include their own players.
Heh, I'm like this for ALL international hockey - not just the Olympics.

I was more pumped for the Olympic qualifiers and the World Juniors than I was for the end of the lockout. And unless my team (Tampa) is in the playoffs, I'll surely be paying far more attention to the World Championships.

I'd probably boycott the NHL if they ever ruined the Olympic hockey tournament by not letting the players go. I mean I'd still enjoy it, but it's the one time all the national teams are near-full strength. Plus Team USA without NHLers would probably get routed every game.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

I was more pumped for the Olympic qualifiers and the World Juniors than I was for the end of the lockout. And unless my team (Tampa) is in the playoffs, I'll surely be paying far more attention to the World Championships.

I'd probably boycott the NHL if they ever ruined the Olympic hockey tournament by not letting the players go. I mean I'd still enjoy it, but it's the one time all the national teams are near-full strength. Plus Team USA without NHLers would probably get routed every game.
It's true man. Every World Juniors I start getting super pumped for. For the past five years I just am all about it. It's been good to for us thus far because the US world juniors team has been pretty solid the past five years. Can't wait for next year. Less than a year man...less than a year.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
It's true man. Every World Juniors I start getting super pumped for. For the past five years I just am all about it. It's been good to for us thus far because the US world juniors team has been pretty solid the past five years. Can't wait for next year. Less than a year man...less than a year.
I think with the WJC being a staple on tv now we will be seeing more hockey fans getting excited over this tournament. the NHL Network does the best they can when the tourney is on European ice, and I hope it gets the same buzz again next year.

I am more excited for the WJC than pretty much anything else...and that is the truth. I just love that tournament as it is pretty much the last purity of our sport where kids are truly playing for love of the game and their country.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
garbageteam

Quote:

I thought I was a pariah for stating I care more about the international tournaments than my club's success in the league. Mainly because of the loyalty and consistency of the players, and the fact that there is something that ties them down to play for that team, even if it's something as arbitrary as their country of birth. Players generally just chase the paycheque when playing for their clubs and I hate the fact that I can buy a player's jersey one day and within the same season he'd be traded to a rival team. There is nothing that unites the members of a club team other than the fact that they are all paid by the same owner. Generally when a player hits free agency they go for the best deal they can take, and so I feel no particular connection to the players in my club. JMO. I respect those who care about the clubs > country and I know these opinions can lead to quite emotionally charged and fanatical debates. I think my preference comes from my international background, world travelling and previous obsession with European soccer ("football").

On that token, the Olympic Games is by far the most entertaining form of hockey for me regardless if Canada has been eliminated or not, followed by the playoffs if my team is in it, followed quite closely by the WHCs and then the WCs if Canada's still playing. I don't even watch the NHL regular season anymore, just follow the updates. I secretly didn't care if the lockout continued... we might have had a pretty good WC this year if so.

garbageteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:09 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Basically means Finland will be the best second placed team as they have Norway and Austria
You mean Canada?

(Well, to be honest, obviously they are big favourites, but that's just one game and Finland is known to overperform and have excellent goalies, so I wouldn't count chickens before hatching....)

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:38 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
I thought I was a pariah for stating I care more about the international tournaments than my club's success in the league. Mainly because of the loyalty and consistency of the players, and the fact that there is something that ties them down to play for that team, even if it's something as arbitrary as their country of birth. Players generally just chase the paycheque when playing for their clubs and I hate the fact that I can buy a player's jersey one day and within the same season he'd be traded to a rival team. There is nothing that unites the members of a club team other than the fact that they are all paid by the same owner. Generally when a player hits free agency they go for the best deal they can take, and so I feel no particular connection to the players in my club. JMO. I respect those who care about the clubs > country and I know these opinions can lead to quite emotionally charged and fanatical debates. I think my preference comes from my international background, world travelling and previous obsession with European soccer ("football").

On that token, the Olympic Games is by far the most entertaining form of hockey for me regardless if Canada has been eliminated or not, followed by the playoffs if my team is in it, followed quite closely by the WHCs and then the WCs if Canada's still playing. I don't even watch the NHL regular season anymore, just follow the updates. I secretly didn't care if the lockout continued... we might have had a pretty good WC this year if so.
No doubt. I'm right there with you. I'm a soccer fan as well and I love the TRUE free market they have in soccer where you can actually tell if a player wants to be where he is or not and isn't just following the money.

And best of all about soccer, the national teams always come first. It sickens me when NHLers pass up on their WHC teams just because they feel they're "too good" for it, and no longer need to play in it to raise their worth to NHL teams.

I'm not nationalistic by any means, but I believe giving back to the programs that developed you and promoting the sport in your homeland is far more important than chasing a paycheck. But what are we supposed to expect from the same players who have canceled a season and two half-seasons just because of money? Modern greedy society is a shame. I'm proudly against modern football, and similarly against modern hockey.

Last edited by EbencoyE: 02-17-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post

You're hardly the only one who feels this way.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Not just that, but I doubt we'd have AHLers either. Why would Minnesota let Charlie Coyle or Jason Zucker go to Russia when they might call them up for a game in the NHL?

We'd basically be down to college players and European pros. We would need...... almost....

a miracle.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I believe you are correct. Three byes and the team with the most points and tiebreakers is Goals for.

Yah I'm with you. I've already assumed Switzerland's going to piss people off. They are fun to watch and as far as I'm concerned they've got the talent to be put into the same category as the rest of us. That's a solid a grouping too though with the Czechs and the Swedes.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my ass there. Looking up ferries from Varna to Sochi otherwise I gotta shell out the dough for a flight or drive for two days.
Two days?

How fast do you drive? It took me nearly 17 hours to drive from Ukraine to Sochi and 10 hours to go from Eastern Ukraine to Moldova and there isn't a good direct route across southern Ukraine, trust me, I've tried it, it's horrible.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Namejs
Cipuli iemet ripuli

Just get a flight to Moscow and then a train to Sochi (15 hours). They'll allegedly launch a high-speed rail connection to Sochi before the OG.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Two days?

How fast do you drive? It took me nearly 17 hours to drive from Ukraine to Sochi and 10 hours to go from Eastern Ukraine to Moldova and there isn't a good direct route across southern Ukraine, trust me, I've tried it, it's horrible.
Usually put in 12 to thirteen hours on extended road trips. Done the US twice then again the roads in Eastern Europe aren't nearly as well maintained. I'll probably end up flying as flights to Moscow from Sofia are relatively cheap. The crappy thing is its less than six hundred miles as the crow flies directly across the Black Sea. Varna and Sochi are literally on polar opposite ends of the Black Sea from one another.