HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who are the top 5 U.S.A. born players of all time?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I'm surprised LeClair has gotten so little discussion, even for an HM spot. 3 consecutive 50 goals seasons followed by 2 consecutive 40 goals seasons in the Dead Puck Era doesn't seem too shabby. He was also at more than 1 ppg for 5 consecutive seasons.

02-21-2013, 02:26 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm surprised LeClair has gotten so little discussion, even for an HM spot. 3 consecutive 50 goals seasons followed by 2 consecutive 40 goals seasons in the Dead Puck Era doesn't seem too shabby. He was also at more than 1 ppg for 5 consecutive seasons.
I can see a case for LeClair as the 3rd best American forward of all-time after Modano and Lafontaine, and ahead of Roenick. In fact, I think it's a pretty good case, and LeClair honestly slipped my mind when I was listed guys Housley would have to pass to make top 10.

But top 5 is a tough nut to crack - he needs to beat out two of Chelios, Brimsek, Leetch, Modano, Lafontaine, and Mark Howe, and I just don't see that happening.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:28 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Probably someone has said it, but there are several other american HHoF-players, why would Baker be on top if we cant find more elite proofs in his favor when Chelios, Leetch, Brimsek, Langway, Howe, Modano and Lafontaine has plenty against the top level of opposition? What was the top level of opposition when Baker played anyways, which he of course did'nt compete against?
I think there is a case for Baker if you use criteria completely different from what most of us (including me) use. If you look at Americans in an American-only world, Baker probably did dominate other American hockey players more than any other American, even if there were many Canadians at the time who were probably better than him. Sort of how some people rank Bobrov as among the best Soviet players of all time.

Baker is also arguably the most historically significant American hockey player of all time.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think there is a case for Baker if you use criteria completely different from what most of us (including me) use. If you look at Americans in an American-only world, Baker probably did dominate other American hockey players more than any other American, even if there were many Canadians at the time who were probably better than him. Sort of how some people rank Bobrov as among the best Soviet players of all time.

Baker is also arguably the most historically significant American hockey player of all time.
Yes, and the highlighted is perhaps important when it comes to his induction too although i wont use it for sure right here. I am also of the opinion that the first generations of players should be acknowledged and respected becouse they did what they did in a whole other world than later players, that just happens to make millions of dollars even if that is just fluff i happen to bring to attention. This is also why Frank Brimsek should be an icon for all american hockey fans, just as Hobey Baker i presume.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:52 AM
BamBamCam*

Here's a great list of top point US players that have been in the NHL.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/natio...eer-stats.html

Last edited by BamBamCam*: 02-21-2013 at 09:58 AM.
BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:39 PM
canuck2010

For my money Pat Lafontaine

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:42 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, I agree. I couldn't stand LeClair but I would think he would be top five American for sure.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Without researching the numbers and off the top of my head:

Hull (Does he count?)
Chelios
Lafontaine
Modano
Leetch

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote