Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
eeek. I try and avoid reality tv like the plague, but my gf loves those gold shows on discovery so i generally have to deal with that in the background.

I watch mythbusters...i guess that's "reality" tv...

Only show i actually watch these days is Walking Dead...probably follow dexter and breaking bad once they're back up.

otherwise its pretty much just hockey and netflix.
What ever happened to channels like Discovery and TLC. Now all they play are these terrible "reality" TV shows that are fake from the ground up.

TLC used to stand for The Learning Channel, what can I learn from watching Honey Boo Boo? They used to have quality shows about space and history and all sorts of cool things and now it's all about fat people stories and wedding day BS.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
What ever happened to channels like Discovery and TLC. Now all they play are these terrible "reality" TV shows that are fake from the ground up.

TLC used to stand for The Learning Channel, what can I learn from watching Honey Boo Boo? They used to have quality shows about space and history and all sorts of cool things and now it's all about fat people stories and wedding day BS.
Advertising: gain larger audiences by appealing to the lowest common denominator. I remember when those channels were absolutely great - they now consist of a couple of good shows, with tons of pablum as filler.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
So, speaking of awesome TV shows, who picked up their copy of Game of Thrones Season 2 yesterday?

Old
02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

Pete Rose reality show was interesting to say the least haha

Old
02-20-2013, 03:48 PM
DespoticNewt

http://t.co/EJXco0MySI

I'm just going to leave this here.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
So, speaking of awesome TV shows, who picked up their copy of Game of Thrones Season 2 yesterday?
I should pick it up and watch them again before season 3 starts. Thank you for the reminder.

02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
I should pick it up and watch them again before season 3 starts. Thank you for the reminder.
March 31st?

Can't wait!

P.s. Sony about to announce ps4 at 5pm

Old
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Tdoe42

vCash: 500
Quote:

Funny the ones I like are about other ppl Working like Gold Rush and License to drill

Old
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

I literally ranted about this on facebook not one week ago. Discovery, History, TLC, National GEO, A & E, OLN, ALL of these stations use to show primarily intelligent, thought provoking documentaries...now they show reality tv shows about being meter maids, pawn shop clerks, and other bull **** jobs that if i really, really gave a **** about what it was like to be- i could probably just go get that job.

****ing ridiculous!

Old
02-20-2013, 05:27 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
I literally ranted about this on facebook not one week ago. Discovery, History, TLC, National GEO, A & E, OLN, ALL of these stations use to show primarily intelligent, thought provoking documentaries...now they show reality tv shows about being meter maids, pawn shop clerks, and other bull **** jobs that if i really, really gave a **** about what it was like to be- i could probably just go get that job.

****ing ridiculous!
I can watch the same quality of shows on my netflix account. Do you know what I'm watching? Documentaries and TED talks.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:58 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Tedtalks are great.

Only reality show I watch is Duck Dynasty. It makes me happy happy happy.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Jet
Bogo Believer

Quote:

****ing ridiculous!
It's pretty simple actually. Those old shows cost a lot of money to write, produce, and bring to TV. Reality shows cost very little comparatively and bring in big audiences.

Having 300 channels is good in some respects but in reality it's just resulted in 1000 times more bad shows. The audience is so fragmented now it's very risky to produce a high budget show in case it flops. There have been some exceptional shows that have been canceled (V, Flash Forward to name a couple) that have been canceled because they didn't get traction quickly enough and cost too much to make.

BTW check out this website. Pretty interesting list of shows that have been canceled with their ratings, runs, synopsis, etc.

http://www.ismyshowcancelled.com/sho...celled/page/1/

02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
I found out it has to do a lot with network decay. Still sucks though.

Quote:
Some channels, however, are not as wedded to their original concept as others. Meddling executives look at the demographics to whom their channel appeals and decide that, hey, since the people watching their Speculative Fiction channel are mostly 18-31 males, and Professional Wrestling is hot among that demographic, surely no one would mind if they started showing pro-wrestling!

The fans of the original programming will mind, of course, but the channel tends to keep going regardless. This may show up with only a couple of odd programs in the schedule, but far too often, given enough time, a channel will have pretty much abandoned its original concept. Whether or not the former invariably leads to the latter is a subject for debate

Old
02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Time to start saving for the PS4 and launch titles!!

As for TV programming degradation, it is very sad.
I have to admit though that if you include all TV network sources there are now more quality TV programs currently running than there have ever been. There is a lot of crap but that is because there are a lot of channels to fill with content.
Netflix and Hulu have also brought quality programming from other parts of the world.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
DespoticNewt

Man, it sure is yucky out there tonight.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Man, it sure is yucky out there tonight.
Can't wait to touch down in Winny tmrw .. !

Old
02-21-2013, 04:04 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Yes but without reality TV (nothing real about it) what would our wives watch???? Seriously get a group of wives together and they can all discuss the garage ad nauseum and I am not talking the high brow stuff on mainstream TV

Gossip is their version of sports I guess? I know that is a generalization so maybe it's only my wife and her friends "desperate housewives of any city = really sad, pathetic, self absorbed, people that are actually too stupid to understand people (normal people that is) think they are all a joke.

Now on the flip side I heard the Kardashian's made about $60 million last year so maybe it is eye who am the fool

End rant

Old
02-21-2013, 05:01 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yes but without reality TV (nothing real about it) what would our wives watch???? Seriously get a group of wives together and they can all discuss the garage ad nauseum and I am not talking the high brow stuff on mainstream TV

Gossip is their version of sports I guess? I know that is a generalization so maybe it's only my wife and her friends "desperate housewives of any city = really sad, pathetic, self absorbed, people that are actually too stupid to understand people (normal people that is) think they are all a joke.

Now on the flip side I heard the Kardashian's made about $60 million last year so maybe it is eye who am the fool

End rant
UGH!!!

My family has connections to some of the "real housewives" of vancouver...
So, when the women of my family get together they talk about it all the time... It's terrible!
On the goodside I got to go to the season premier parties and there was some fun there in the guys corner haha (funny how all the guys ended up congregating in the far corner...)

Old
02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Tdoe42

Really Google Chrome 57 gigs for a cache?? No thanks

Old
02-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Right here! stumbled accross it at walmart yesterday. Wish they would release them sooner after the season ends. oh well. going to have to watch them after I get back from Vegas..probably will need some R&R lol

Old
02-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Jet
Bogo Believer

My shinny game went pretty well on Tuesday, and my doctor cleared me to play, so I figured I'll dress for my league team tonight. Going to play forward for the second time in my 'career'. Poor linemates.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

so this exists

http://imgur.com/a/vfyLL

Old
02-22-2013, 08:11 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

man
**** I hate this new iTunes

what a bunch of ****

I cant even get songs off my ipod

why does apple constantly need to **** around with stuff that already works

Old
02-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
My shinny game went pretty well on Tuesday, and my doctor cleared me to play, so I figured I'll dress for my league team tonight. Going to play forward for the second time in my 'career'. Poor linemates.
How did the knee hold up?

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Uh, Funkybunny9966 is now doing videos... while sitting on the "crapper", as he says.

Closed Thread