HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bouwmeester expected to net the Flames a "hefty" return

Old
02-21-2013, 01:36 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

vCash: 500
Feaster's gonna give him a 6 year extension, watch

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Wallachia

What's the difference in asking price if both he and Giordano were put on the block?

Wallachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:49 AM
western redmen
the forgotten owskis

vCash: 50
If you guys trade for him, u would expect him to play top pairing minutes, if u are not willing to pay for the top pairing D, then forget it

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:57 AM
nzoilerfan

A decent prospect, mid-late first, middle six roster player. MAYBE

nzoilerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:59 AM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
Well I could see my Flyers trying to add a d man but I am really leery of Bouw......

No way do we offer a B. Schenn or Couts...perhaps a first and a middling prospect like Nick Cousins or perhaps Laughton...
What would we have to add to get one of Couts or Schenn? Not named Bartschi or our 1st?

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:11 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Flames can retain cap hit.
He's going to be hard to move at nearly $6.7m cap hit if you don't eat some. That's such a hard deal to make, 1.5 years left so that 6.7m of the cap when it drop to $64m. You only need to look at Campbell to Florida or Phaneuf for junk to see how salary kills these deals. The second year almost becomes a millstone to cap teams.

Now if you eat half - you'll get a great return. 1.5 years (2 playoff runs) is nice when you are only paying him <$3.5m/y. A good player on a cheap deal for 2 years? What's not like for a team against the cap. I think rich rebuilding teams are going to exploit the crap out of this over the CBA.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:14 AM
JuniorNelson

Columbus might want to restructure thier back end, for example. They have a new GM and if he could grab a top pairing defenceman for a pick, I think he would. Look at the FAs. There isn't a big crop this year. Where's a new top pair going to come from? Trading for Bouwmeester solves half the problem, at least.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:24 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
His -21 last year isn't real nice...

It's true Jay-Bo is a good offensive defenseman, but his play in his own end is what will keep teams from giving up a large sum for him.
He played 25+ minutes a night against the other team's top offence, while playing on a non playoff team. He's going to be in the negatives.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
You're not getting a 25 minute, smooth skating, puck-moving 1st pairing defenceman for a "2nd."
Bouw best comparible is Tom Gilbert their career stats in everything from hits bks to toi /points are a mirrior. only thing different is Blowmeester makes 2.8 million more per season. Gilbert is a smooth skating puck moving first pair dman that returned Nick Schultz.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:44 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 822
Hope Holland isn't dumb enough to give them a sparse return much less hefty.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Wizeman*

I think your TSN guy wants Flames fans to ********** to this thought of unloading a 6.8mil dollar soft defense man for assets . Hes signed to another year to boot. What contending team has the cap space to do this? None that I know of.

Flames need to follow the Oilers plan. SUPER TANK to get 1st overall picks.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:57 AM
almostawake

If the starting point is the Flames eating 1-2M of Bouwmeester's cap hit then I could definitely see them getting a huge return for him.

People grossly underestimate how difficult it is to add legit top 4 defencemen, let alone legit top pairing guys.

But I'll also say that Flames fans seem to be over-rating what the package may actually look like though. The picks and prospects will take a long time before they have much effect on the Flames lineup.

Look at the Kaberle trade for example. The Bruins paid a hefty price but neither the prospect they moved (Colborne) nor either of the players selected with the picks have had any impact at the NHL level.

By no means does that make it a bad trade, there is still plenty of time to reap the rewards in the future, but my point is just that if the Flames trade Bouwmeester it's going to take a long time before the return is what's happening on the ice at the Saddledome.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:20 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 3110
Quote:
I don't know how many of you caught this, but on tonight's Kings/Flames broadcast on TSN, Gord Miller mentioned that if the Flames were to put Jay Bouwmeester on the trading block, he would net the Flames a "substantial" return, especially as we get closer to the trade deadline.

Bouwmeester's having his best season as a Flame. He's still relatively young, only has 1 year remaining on his contract, and eats up minutes like crazy! The demand for puck-moving defencemen is also sky high.

Expect the Flames to get back at least one (maybe two) 1st round draft picks, a blue chip prospect, plus a young roster player! And then wait till the rest of the guys (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Tanguay, Cammalleri, etc.) get put on the block!

My mouth is already starting to water.
If he had more then one year left I could see the Flames getting more. His cap hit is 6.25mil and after next year he is a UFA--so what was the rate for a rental last year?
I think you are looking at a Kaberle return for him

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:23 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
I don't know how many of you caught this, but on tonight's Kings/Flames broadcast on TSN, Gord Miller mentioned that if the Flames were to put Jay Bouwmeester on the trading block, he would net the Flames a "substantial" return, especially as we get closer to the trade deadline.

Bouwmeester's having his best season as a Flame. He's still relatively young, only has 1 year remaining on his contract, and eats up minutes like crazy! The demand for puck-moving defencemen is also sky high.

Expect the Flames to get back at least one (maybe two) 1st round draft picks, a blue chip prospect, plus a young roster player! And then wait till the rest of the guys (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Tanguay, Cammalleri, etc.) get put on the block!

I am not sure than I would believe that J-Bo will net the biggest deadline deal haul in recent history. To get more than Kovalchuk or Hossa would be pretty amazing and I have a hard time believing that. He does have a year left on his deal, but he is also overpaid. Maybe if the Flames take on half of his salary they get a very good return but 2 firsts a blue chip prospect and a young player is probably not a realistic ex[ectation.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:28 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
If he had more then one year left I could see the Flames getting more. His cap hit is 6.25mil and after next year he is a UFA--so what was the rate for a rental last year?
I think you are looking at a Kaberle return for him
That sounds much more reasonable. Basically a 1st and a project of a prospect who does have some talent but there are serious questions about.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:39 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am not sure than I would believe that J-Bo will net the biggest deadline deal haul in recent history. To get more than Kovalchuk or Hossa would be pretty amazing and I have a hard time believing that. He does have a year left on his deal, but he is also overpaid. Maybe if the Flames take on half of his salary they get a very good return but 2 firsts a blue chip prospect and a young player is probably not a realistic ex[ectation.
If the Flames ate half his salary that would put him at a 3.35M cap hit. I don't think they would have to go nearly that far. Bouwmeester at 5M is a pretty good deal.

As far as the return goes, comparing it to rental deals is probably not the way to go. Bouwmeester for an additional year at a good cap hit would attract a slightly different kind of buyer and could see the return increase more than a little.

I think people are just overestimating what a two 1sts, prospect, roster player package would look like. I'm not saying the Flyers would do this, but is a package of 2013, 2014 1sts, Matt Read, and one of their top ranked prospects really that amazing. IMO the Kovalchuk deal, when it was made, had more value than that.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:02 AM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

vCash: 85
Flames would have to retain 1.5 - 2 million. I could see him easily netting 1st 2013 + good prospect.

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:12 AM
avsfan89

I like him but I wouldn't want him on my team for superstitious reasons.

The man has NEVER made the playoffs...that includes his junior career.

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:24 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Good riddance.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Lupul1990

Quote:

That sounds similar to what Flyers gave up to get Pronger. And Bouwmeester is not even close to Pronger.

Quote:
On June 27, 2009, Pronger, along with forward Ryan Dingle, was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Lupul, the rights to defenceman Luca Sbisa, two first round draft picks and a conditional third round draft pick.

Lupul1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:51 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
If the Flames ate half his salary that would put him at a 3.35M cap hit. I don't think they would have to go nearly that far. Bouwmeester at 5M is a pretty good deal.

As far as the return goes, comparing it to rental deals is probably not the way to go. Bouwmeester for an additional year at a good cap hit would attract a slightly different kind of buyer and could see the return increase more than a little.

I think people are just overestimating what a two 1sts, prospect, roster player package would look like. I'm not saying the Flyers would do this, but is a package of 2013, 2014 1sts, Matt Read, and one of their top ranked prospects really that amazing. IMO the Kovalchuk deal, when it was made, had more value than that.
In for a penny in for a pound. Might as well retain as much as you can afford and buy the biggest bag of sweets you can get.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:56 AM
captainpaxil

scott laughton + andre meszaros is a deal i could live with. solid middle pairing d and last years 1st rd pick to add depth to a rebuild. neither would be the cornerstone of the franchise going forward but its not going to cripple the flyers either.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Last year, it was that they couldn't wait to get rid of them because Giordano was the next coming of Gary Suter, now its why should they trade him?

I've always been a fan of this guy and think he will go to a younger team in this off-season. Maybe a team like Columbus or even could go to Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Columbus might want to restructure thier back end, for example. They have a new GM and if he could grab a top pairing defenceman for a pick, I think he would. Look at the FAs. There isn't a big crop this year. Where's a new top pair going to come from? Trading for Bouwmeester solves half the problem, at least.
Columbus does not need more defensemen. Columbus certainly should not be trading futures for more defensemen.

Would Bouwmeester fit? Certainly. But it makes no sense to be giving up assets for him when we have so many crippling needs at forward.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:30 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post

It said a "blue chip" prospect, to me that means an almost sure fire NHL player of high quality. Who was the last player who got a return like that? Phil Kessel, a young 35+ goal scorer who was a lock to remain with the team for years and to hit his peak during those years did not get that much in return.

1 1/5 seasons of J-Bo for that price is extreme in my opinion. I think it is much more likely that he returns a first and a young player or prospect, I could see a litlle more than that if a bidding war ensued, but not what was originally stated. That would mean J-Bo returned the most of any player traded in any recent deadline deal, I don't see it. Maybe I am wrong and he gets that much, Ray Bourque and Chris Pronger didn't return that much so I hope you can see why I have doubts.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272*
Forgot About Sid

Red Wings would be interested but I doubt they'd pay this huge overprice everyone is talking about.

PensBandwagonerNo272* is offline   Reply With Quote