HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 QMJHL draft as of Feb 2013

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Dogpound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I think Myers or Ward will be lucky to get drafted , Myers plays lots of PP ,he is not very physical and has an average shot and really needs to improve his skating.He is very smart with the puck but he has a good cast of players around.Jacob has a better chance to be drafted even at his size the first pick last year was not much bigger.
I am not sure what Myers you are watching Hockey Jockey but to say that they will be lucky to get drafted is a joke. You have also obviously never seen Myers shoot a puck. Probably has the best shot in the Midget AAA league this year. Quick and hard and it isn't always about being hard but getting it though to the net and not getting it blocked which he is excellent at. Myers has probably been the most improved player in the league this year and has grown as a player bigtime.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
I am not sure what Myers you are watching Hockey Jockey but to say that they will be lucky to get drafted is a joke. You have also obviously never seen Myers shoot a puck. Probably has the best shot in the Midget AAA league this year. Quick and hard and it isn't always about being hard but getting it though to the net and not getting it blocked which he is excellent at. Myers has probably been the most improved player in the league this year and has grown as a player bigtime.
I certainly have seen him shoot a puck.. I'm from Moncton too. I think you might be a little to close to the flame my friend. His stats just don't support what you are saying, McInnis from Saint John has better stats on a weaker team. Deschenes in Fredericton has way better stats.

I've watched Myers play.. he is a good player, but definitely not a 2nd rounder and I agree with HJ, might not get drafted at all, there are a lot of solid Dmen in the 97 age group and most of them a lot more physical than he has shown so far. I think that being physical is important for Dmen.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Dogpound

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
I certainly have seen him shoot a puck.. I'm from Moncton too. I think you might be a little to close to the flame my friend. His stats just don't support what you are saying, McInnis from Saint John has better stats on a weaker team. Deschenes in Fredericton has way better stats.

I've watched Myers play.. he is a good player, but definitely not a 2nd rounder and I agree with HJ, might not get drafted at all, there are a lot of solid Dmen in the 97 age group and most of them a lot more physical than he has shown so far. I think that being physical is important for Dmen.
Well i am not going to get into an arguement with you about this becuase you obviously have a completely different view them myself and all the scouts. You can't base your opinion soley on points. McInnis from st John is about 5'4 145 lbs. Phillipe Myers is close to 6'2 175lbs both 15 years old. Phillipe Myers is actually very physical and throws his body around a lot. Wins all the battles in the corner and makes a great first pass out of his own zone. Excellent patience and a big shot. I am willing to put money down that he will go in top 3 rounds in the Q forsure. For you to say that he might not even get drafted is nuts.. Luc Duschene will also get drafted but i will bet that Myers will turn out to be a better Dman then him in the long run.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:16 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Well i am not going to get into an arguement with you about this becuase you obviously have a completely different view them myself and all the scouts. You can't base your opinion soley on points. McInnis from st John is about 5'4 145 lbs. Phillipe Myers is close to 6'2 175lbs both 15 years old. Phillipe Myers is actually very physical and throws his body around a lot. Wins all the battles in the corner and makes a great first pass out of his own zone. Excellent patience and a big shot. I am willing to put money down that he will go in top 3 rounds in the Q forsure. For you to say that he might not even get drafted is nuts.. Luc Duschene will also get drafted but i will bet that Myers will turn out to be a better Dman then him in the long run.
You are to close to the kid,I have watched Myers and not seen him throw his body very often,and to say a different view than "all the Scouts" is a silly statement and to say he wins "all the battles in the corners" , does he really ? sometimes family has blinders on.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:21 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

to everyone who says Myer will not be drafted or is not good....he is an excellent defender and coming from me who is scouting for a Q team, I know what my team thinks of him and what a few other teams think and they are all high comments, the kid is not physical but he has good size, he is a smooth skater, smooth puck handler, very smart player and is very good positionally in his own zone (very very good positionally) the kid has a good chance at going 2nd round, I guess a lot of people on here have not seen him play, saw him play maybe once and making quick judement, or just do not know what they are looking for to not see talent in the kid....and combine his talent with his height and you will see a team take him high.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
to everyone who says Myer will not be drafted or is not good....he is an excellent defender and coming from me who is scouting for a Q team, I know what my team thinks of him and what a few other teams think and they are all high comments, the kid is not physical but he has good size, he is a smooth skater, smooth puck handler, very smart player and is very good positionally in his own zone (very very good positionally) the kid has a good chance at going 2nd round, I guess a lot of people on here have not seen him play, saw him play maybe once and making quick judement, or just do not know what they are looking for to not see talent in the kid....and combine his talent with his height and you will see a team take him high.
Hey... relax.. I've seen him plenty.. almost every time they play at home.. and I just don't agree. You're the scout, the other guy isn't and I'm just an old guy that loves midget hockey. What can I tell you, he doesn't skate that well and he isn't all that physical. If he gets drafted high, great, I'll be happy for him and but I don't see it and that's just my opinion. I've been watching hockey players for a long time and have confidence that I know what I'm looking at. I don't know if the other guy is his agent, his dad or the kid himself but whatever.. we only allowed to say anything if we agree?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:13 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Hey... relax.. I've seen him plenty.. almost every time they play at home.. and I just don't agree. You're the scout, the other guy isn't and I'm just an old guy that loves midget hockey. What can I tell you, he doesn't skate that well and he isn't all that physical. If he gets drafted high, great, I'll be happy for him and but I don't see it and that's just my opinion. I've been watching hockey players for a long time and have confidence that I know what I'm looking at. I don't know if the other guy is his agent, his dad or the kid himself but whatever.. we only allowed to say anything if we agree?
i am relaxed im replying to guy who thinks he will not get drafted at all and would not be shocked....anywho, as for Pickard early you said you do not think he is a high 1st round pick and he was lazy at the icejam...personally I thought he played hard, I think you might be looking at his awkward skating, his shot, hockey sense, hands with the puck and passing and vision to go along with his size is a combo that is rare in this draft......as for Myer you do not have to be physical to be good eh, and his skating is not bad...hockeys sense and poise speak volumes and he has both, plus I think he is a good skater, he does not burn up the ice but he has a long stride, good speed, he does not want to go flat out rush it in, he is a conservative defender who is bringing it up slow........are you a parent or coach yourself?

Old
02-21-2013, 05:11 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
i am relaxed im replying to guy who thinks he will not get drafted at all and would not be shocked....anywho, as for Pickard early you said you do not think he is a high 1st round pick and he was lazy at the icejam...personally I thought he played hard, I think you might be looking at his awkward skating, his shot, hockey sense, hands with the puck and passing and vision to go along with his size is a combo that is rare in this draft......as for Myer you do not have to be physical to be good eh, and his skating is not bad...hockeys sense and poise speak volumes and he has both, plus I think he is a good skater, he does not burn up the ice but he has a long stride, good speed, he does not want to go flat out rush it in, he is a conservative defender who is bringing it up slow........are you a parent or coach yourself?
If your team drafts him.. I guess you will be right

No I'm not a parent or a coach of any hockey players. Its really too bad that people always jump to those conclusions when someone doesn't agree with them. We can just drop it and see what happens in June.. one of us will be right, one will be wrong.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
If your team drafts him.. I guess you will be right

No I'm not a parent or a coach of any hockey players. Its really too bad that people always jump to those conclusions when someone doesn't agree with them. We can just drop it and see what happens in June.. one of us will be right, one will be wrong.
I agree with you about Myers we will see in June I hope he does get drafted, if he does it will be late(IMO) unless the team Scoutman scouts for already has him on there list.I know teams look at big D and sometimes take them as projects and hope there skating developes and they get tougher, as they say you can't teach size. I still can't figure why a Q scout post a list of draft picks and that would be benifical to his team how ? I would think most scouts would keep this info close to there hip.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
I agree with you about Myers we will see in June I hope he does get drafted, if he does it will be late(IMO) unless the team Scoutman scouts for already has him on there list.I know teams look at big D and sometimes take them as projects and hope there skating developes and they get tougher, as they say you can't teach size. I still can't figure why a Q scout post a list of draft picks and that would be benifical to his team how ? I would think most scouts would keep this info close to there hip.
First off i will say i am not a parent or an agent or the kid but am definitely involved and have seen all these kids play many many times. Hockey Jockey and NBhockey, you guys have to understand that Scoutmans list is no secret. If you watch any hockey and have seen all these kids it isn't a secret they most or all are going to be drafted. 1 scouts list is just a small part to the draft. Each team has a number of scouts and coaches and gm's who all have input and have different opinions as well. No one knows what team Scoutman scouts for so does it really matter?? You can go look at the central scouting draft list and it says mostly the same stuff so his list being posted in irrelevant. If you guys don't agree on Myers, next time you are at a game, go ask one of the 5-10 scouts sitting in the stands at every flyers game their opinion on myers. They will ALL tell you that he will be a top 3 round pick.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:54 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
First off i will say i am not a parent or an agent or the kid but am definitely involved and have seen all these kids play many many times. Hockey Jockey and NBhockey, you guys have to understand that Scoutmans list is no secret. If you watch any hockey and have seen all these kids it isn't a secret they most or all are going to be drafted. 1 scouts list is just a small part to the draft. Each team has a number of scouts and coaches and gm's who all have input and have different opinions as well. No one knows what team Scoutman scouts for so does it really matter?? You can go look at the central scouting draft list and it says mostly the same stuff so his list being posted in irrelevant. If you guys don't agree on Myers, next time you are at a game, go ask one of the 5-10 scouts sitting in the stands at every flyers game their opinion on myers. They will ALL tell you that he will be a top 3 round pick.
I have been around hockey for over 40 years and understand how the scouting system works but thanks for explaining it to me. This is a talk board where people give there opinions and views yours is noted as well as mine is no one will no for sure until June.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:51 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
This will be my last post on this.. its taking an negative turn that I'm not comfortable with and this is really to you and Scoutman1.

Let me first say.. its well documented on here that I think Myers and Ward (you mentioned him also) are both good hockey players. I think NB has a very strong group of 97's in whole and I am in no way a detractor from any NB kid getting scouted, drafted and then playing at the highest level possible, quiet the opposite, I truly hope they do. All I am attempting to say, and apparently not doing a very good job at, is that Myers is up against some pretty good compitition in the Atlantic list of kids, not to mention Quebec. Every player has things to work on and Myers is no exception. And in my very humble and respectful opinion, he isn't nessesarily a "stand out" that is way beyond most of the other 97 Dmen in NB and NS. You seem to be taking my comments as I don't think he is any good, which is simply not the case.

So back to the original discussion on Myers, I just don't see him as a high pick.. that doesn't mean I dont think he absolutely wont get drafted or that I don't think he is a good defenceman.

So I'll put my money where my mouth is... of the four NB teams, these are the ones I believe have a shot at getting drafted:

Moncton:
Jacob
Ward
Myers

Saint John:
Leblanc
Bower

Miramichi:
Theriault
Scott

Fredericton:
Deshense
Tompkins
Vance
Paul

Where they get drafted.. if they do... remains to be seen and will be highly influenced by who is still available and what each teams needs are. There is no guarentee in my opinion. I have seen too many kids that where "supposed" to go in this or that round that didn't even get drafted.

Finally, please don't take this as personally as you seem to have. I mean no offence.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
This will be my last post on this.. its taking an negative turn that I'm not comfortable with and this is really to you and Scoutman1.

Let me first say.. its well documented on here that I think Myers and Ward (you mentioned him also) are both good hockey players. I think NB has a very strong group of 97's in whole and I am in no way a detractor from any NB kid getting scouted, drafted and then playing at the highest level possible, quiet the opposite, I truly hope they do. All I am attempting to say, and apparently not doing a very good job at, is that Myers is up against some pretty good compitition in the Atlantic list of kids, not to mention Quebec. Every player has things to work on and Myers is no exception. And in my very humble and respectful opinion, he isn't nessesarily a "stand out" that is way beyond most of the other 97 Dmen in NB and NS. You seem to be taking my comments as I don't think he is any good, which is simply not the case.

So back to the original discussion on Myers, I just don't see him as a high pick.. that doesn't mean I dont think he absolutely wont get drafted or that I don't think he is a good defenceman.

So I'll put my money where my mouth is... of the four NB teams, these are the ones I believe have a shot at getting drafted:

Moncton:
Jacob
Ward
Myers

Saint John:
Leblanc
Bower

Miramichi:
Theriault
Scott

Fredericton:
Deshense
Tompkins
Vance
Paul

Where they get drafted.. if they do... remains to be seen and will be highly influenced by who is still available and what each teams needs are. There is no guarentee in my opinion. I have seen too many kids that where "supposed" to go in this or that round that didn't even get drafted.

Finally, please don't take this as personally as you seem to have. I mean no offence.
Well i also want to apologize if you think i took it personal becuase i definitely did not. I just think you are way off on your assesment on Myers. Totally your right to do so though. I just know for a fact that a number of teams are very very high in Myers and I just thought it was a bit silly to say that he might not even get drafted for a guy that will probably go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Ward might be a bit later but also think he will go in the 4th or 5th round. I also understand what you are saying about guys that were suppose to get drafted and never did but I can assure you that both for Myers and Ward that won't be the case. Both kids have great attitudes and are extremely hard workers to go along with their on ice abilities. I also agree with you about the rest of the Kids from NB that might get drafted. Only one i am not sold on is Scott from Miramichi. Big kid but of all the games i have seen him play he never once stood out to me. I also think Daley could get a sniff but is pretty small. Vance also hasn't impressed me but tough going back between forward and defense all year.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:20 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Well i also want to apologize if you think i took it personal becuase i definitely did not. I just think you are way off on your assesment on Myers. Totally your right to do so though. I just know for a fact that a number of teams are very very high in Myers and I just thought it was a bit silly to say that he might not even get drafted for a guy that will probably go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Ward might be a bit later but also think he will go in the 4th or 5th round. I also understand what you are saying about guys that were suppose to get drafted and never did but I can assure you that both for Myers and Ward that won't be the case. Both kids have great attitudes and are extremely hard workers to go along with their on ice abilities. I also agree with you about the rest of the Kids from NB that might get drafted. Only one i am not sold on is Scott from Miramichi. Big kid but of all the games i have seen him play he never once stood out to me. I also think Daley could get a sniff but is pretty small. Vance also hasn't impressed me but tough going back between forward and defense all year.
Fair enough...

I think Theriault and Scott both have a shot at going late to Bathurst (12 picks in the first 8 rounds), both kids from that area. Daley might get a look, but most of his points are assists and he is such a perimeter player its a tough one to gauge. I think Vance has probably fallen back in my mind but he still has some game and could go late. U16's will be important for all these guys.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Fair enough...

I think Theriault and Scott both have a shot at going late to Bathurst (12 picks in the first 8 rounds), both kids from that area. Daley might get a look, but most of his points are assists and he is such a perimeter player its a tough one to gauge. I think Vance has probably fallen back in my mind but he still has some game and could go late. U16's will be important for all these guys.
I agree with that , what about Robichaud from Mirimichi ? big kid his skating has improved just not sure about his hockey sense?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
AJ24

Discussion here concerns 15-16 years old kids, not pro player such as Scott Gomez who makes 7M/year.
I find it disappointing to read the negative comments on a 15 year old.
You can like him or not but to write about his weaknesses and say that he will not be drafted, kid and parents don't need to read that stuff.

These young players make sacrifices to play at this level. They need encouragement not comments that they will not succeed.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ24 View Post
Discussion here concerns 15-16 years old kids, not pro player such as Scott Gomez who makes 7M/year.
You can like him or not but to write about his weaknesses and say that he will not be drafted, kid and parents don't need to read that stuff.

These young players make sacrifices to play at this level. They need encouragement not comments that they will not succeed.
I don't think discussing a players strength's and weaknesses in hockey is necessarily negative.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:04 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
it is not like we have him ranked for the 2nd round....3rd to 4th it is, but I was saying I would not be shocked if a team took him in the late 2nd.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:12 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ24 View Post

disappointing to read negative comments on a 15 to 16 year old....well at this age is when hockey at this level becomes a major part of their lives if that is the path they are taking and negative comments and positive are both going to be a big part of what they have to endure from now on....they are now getting looked at and being scouted for the QMJHL and us as scouts always have negative comments we tell players they have to work on things they are not good at and have to improve, rolls they will play with our team if we draft them and even rankings then are negative because if a kid is not ranked high in the draft im sure it is a let down to them...not like they are 8 and 11 years old now playing just for fun, these kids are 15 to 16 playing to make it now if they are playing this level.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:17 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
also on here I never give my teams opinions or how I scout for my team as we have things out team looks for and I have to drop guys I like lower than I want because of how we scout...so on here i give my opinion and it does not reflect how I rank for my team because we have critaria to go by....plus i usually try to off set my lists as well because we have guys ranked a little higher who some teams do not so on here I give a generall list of players most teams would have in those rounds....so on here my list reflect nothing on how we as a team have things ranked.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
it is not like we have him ranked for the 2nd round....3rd to 4th it is, but I was saying I would not be shocked if a team took him in the late 2nd.
The big test for all these kids will be in Blaineville in May this will be the final chance to show what they can do before the draft.Do you think this years draft is deeper than last years.?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
qc2nf

Thanks Scoutman. Interesting and informative. Any thoughts on Simon Bourque(Charles lemoyne) Jeremy Davies(lions), Bradley Lalonde(me royals) and paquette(st eustache)

Old
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
also on here I never give my teams opinions or how I scout for my team as we have things out team looks for and I have to drop guys I like lower than I want because of how we scout...so on here i give my opinion and it does not reflect how I rank for my team because we have critaria to go by....plus i usually try to off set my lists as well because we have guys ranked a little higher who some teams do not so on here I give a generall list of players most teams would have in those rounds....so on here my list reflect nothing on how we as a team have things ranked.
And once again scoutman I'd like to say how much I and others a appreciate your lists and your insights. You get to see these guys quite often and for someone like myself I can only see a couple of guys I coach or can see in St.John's. So a very big thanks from this guy!

Old
02-27-2013, 06:31 AM
hockeyallthetime

Draft

Not a bad looking bunch of kids at all on this list. Anyone see Jordan Messenger getting drafted? His stock seems to have dropped a lot this year, wasn't really playing on a great team that may have contributed. What about Josh Shatford, he is a 96 that went undrafted last year but played Jr A all year . Anyway best of luck to all the players being looked at.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
jboyz

Hey Scoutman who you think will be a good player for Cape Breton with them maybe picking 1st overall.

Closed Thread