HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Wang in preliminary talks to sell team!

Old
02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Talain

vCash: 500
First thing they should do is make a rule that says that if a team's total payroll - in actual dollars spent, not cap value or over-35 contracts counting against the cap - over an entire season ends up being less than the cap floor, that the team is fined the difference. If they did that they wouldn't even need to enforce the cap floor as there would be no financial incentive for dropping below it or otherwise getting around it.

Talain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
There's almost less chance of Wang owning this team in Brooklyn than there is of the team breaking the lease.

You cant even spell "commodity" correctly and I'm supposed to believe you're some big time deal maker?

I have a law degree, and work in contract law. The situation you're giving above is in no way near analogous to the Islanders or any other sports team that's a tenant in an arena. Your car is an asset that you as an individual put under contract to be in a garage. The Islanders are a living, breathing corporate entity that is under contract, not Charles Wang personally.

If what you're saying was the case, and the arena leases weren't transferable with changes in ownership, every time a team got a new owner they'd be an automatic threat to move. Hell, Wang wouldn't have been tied to the Coliseum for the last decade if that was the case. We could start playing in Brooklyn tomorrow with a new owner if you what you're saying was true.

Fact of the matter is, the legal entity known as the Islanders, not Charles Wang, is tied to that arena lease, regardless of who owns the entity because the lease is transferable with the entity. So unless the team were to enact one of the out clauses in the lease (i.e. a buyout, arena being unfit to use, etc.) they aren't going anywhere. End of discussion.
First...thank you for pointing out my mispelling. While I do my best to spell correctly sometimes in a quick post it happens. I am happy for you that you have never mispelled a word before. Kudos!

For God's sake it is an internet message board, one mispelled word and you get fried for it. Incredible.

Second....thank you for your insight. The deals I negotiate do have an out for the leasee should their be a change in ownership and I have seen it in other aspects of business too. I assumed, my fault, that the same held true.

As I said before we don't really know what the lease states as none of us have ever seen it. It's all speculation on our part.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
CodeE

Increasing the Value of the Islanders

Charles Wang has always been a very frugal man, that much I think we can all agree on. An owner who goes to such lengths to field a cap floor team, and other actions to assure the most money in his pocket will continue to work for the sake of his wallet.

Now, we all know Wang is rumored to be selling the team. The Islanders are Wang's most prized possession, a major sports franchise, and truth be told, it seems as though Wang wants the Islanders to be more valuable to a potential buyer. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars here folks, and even small steps can increase the value of the Islanders to buyers: minor changes could be worth millions in the long run.

Some factors that are already increasing the value:

Tavares - One of the brightest young stars in the lead, a true franchise forward who you build your team around.

Brooklyn - Moving closer to the heart of Manhattan means that a successful team will steal bandwagoners from the five boroughs.

Our prospect pool - One of the best in the league, lots of blue chip prospects eager to make the jump to the pros.

But now, the Dipietro waiving, and potential offseason buyout, would also increase the value of this franchise, as it would shed the embarrassment of being associated with that contract.

What other steps can we anticipate in order for Wang to increase the value? Here's a couple I wouldn't be surprised to see:

- Fire Cappy, get Ruff behind the bench. It's a longshot, but it would pay out in spades if there was a respected, established coach in the organization. Maybe fire Snow as well but I'm not sure I see that happening.

- Seriously go after a top player, through free agency or trade: We've got the capspace, we've got the assets, so why not? Especially a young, minute-eating defenseman. Again, a $7 mill/year defenseman could yield Wang like $12 million more in a sale, and it's not like Wang gonna's have to keep paying that guy 4 years down the road.

So, what other steps do you think Wang could take in order to increase the value of the Islanders to potential buyers?

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Charles Wang has always been a very frugal man, that much I think we can all agree on. An owner who goes to such lengths to field a cap floor team, and other actions to assure the most money in his pocket will continue to work for the sake of his wallet.

Now, we all know Wang is rumored to be selling the team. The Islanders are Wang's most prized possession, a major sports franchise, and truth be told, it seems as though Wang wants the Islanders to be more valuable to a potential buyer. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars here folks, and even small steps can increase the value of the Islanders to buyers: minor changes could be worth millions in the long run.

Some factors that are already increasing the value:

Tavares - One of the brightest young stars in the lead, a true franchise forward who you build your team around.

Brooklyn - Moving closer to the heart of Manhattan means that a successful team will steal bandwagoners from the five boroughs.

Our prospect pool - One of the best in the league, lots of blue chip prospects eager to make the jump to the pros.

But now, the Dipietro waiving, and potential offseason buyout, would also increase the value of this franchise, as it would shed the embarrassment of being associated with that contract.

What other steps can we anticipate in order for Wang to increase the value? Here's a couple I wouldn't be surprised to see:

- Fire Cappy, get Ruff behind the bench. It's a longshot, but it would pay out in spades if there was a respected, established coach in the organization. Maybe fire Snow as well but I'm not sure I see that happening.

- Seriously go after a top player, through free agency or trade: We've got the capspace, we've got the assets, so why not? Especially a young, minute-eating defenseman. Again, a $7 mill/year defenseman could yield Wang like $12 million more in a sale, and it's not like Wang gonna's have to keep paying that guy 4 years down the road.

So, what other steps do you think Wang could take in order to increase the value of the Islanders to potential buyers?
If at all possible get to Brooklyn as soon as possible.

Right now that arena is hot!

The Nets are hot.

The place is getting the best shows and events.

It would be a shame if they have to wait until 2016 when much of the Buzz will have faded.

1. Get to Brooklyn

2. Overpay for a FA and open the doors to others

3. Dramatically increase payroll

4. Win.

5. Beat the Rags in a playoff series.

6. Get Bettman to host a Rags vs. Isles winter classic at Citifield

There you go Mr. Wang, the road map to doubling the value of your investment.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
First...thank you for pointing out my mispelling. While I do my best to spell correctly sometimes in a quick post it happens. I am happy for you that you have never mispelled a word before. Kudos!

For God's sake it is an internet message board, one mispelled word and you get fried for it. Incredible.

Second....thank you for your insight. The deals I negotiate do have an out for the leasee should their be a change in ownership and I have seen it in other aspects of business too. I assumed, my fault, that the same held true.

As I said before we don't really know what the lease states as none of us have ever seen it. It's all speculation on our part.
I dont know whats in this box it could be a million dollars or a dead cat, its all speculation on our part.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote