PMB/Larsson-Broziak-Clutterbuck
Mitchell-Cullen-Rupp

Zucker to 2nd PP unit aswell. He might be able to bring the puck to the zone

b0rn2beWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
hokijanari

vCash: 500
The more I think of it the more it makes sense to me. Parise and Koivu should be separated. Put Zucker with Koivu and Parise with Granlund...

hokijanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
grN1g

My guess is PMB come's back vs EDM, yeo will try and reap the benefits of a sitting player who dominates a certain team, larsson and zucker more than likely staying due to playing RNH, Hall, Eberle, and J.Schultz in Hou, Granny will get promoted to 2nd line C for to that reason and improving every game, leaving 2 of Rupp, Konopka, Mitchell, Cullen, seto, or Clutter scratched.

same d pairings as the 2nd and 3rd period's of last night's game.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rn2beWild View Post
Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Zucker-Granlund-Setogutchi
Mitchell-Cullen-Rupp

Just switch Mitchell to right wing and Rupp to left wing because of their handiness and I like those lines. Maybe switch Cullen and Brodziak too.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Mike Yeo is stifling offense

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:36 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rn2beWild View Post
Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Zucker-Granlund-Setogutchi
Mitchell-Cullen-Rupp

I like this although I hate PMB on the 3rd line. I believe Larsson will get sent
down just because of numbers, but I would like to see him get an extended look.

It really bothers me when the Wild revert to essentially 3 scoring lines by using PMB on the checking line. I honestly believe more scoring chances are created by that line when its Mitchell-Brodziak-Clutterbuck. Mitchell hustles so much and he is real fast along with Clutter and those two wreak havoc on the forecheck. I can't wait until our checking line is Bulmer-Larsson-Clutterbuck. They will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:42 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
My guess is PMB come's back vs EDM, yeo will try and reap the benefits of a sitting player who dominates a certain team, larsson and zucker more than likely staying due to playing RNH, Hall, Eberle, and J.Schultz in Hou, Granny will get promoted to 2nd line C for to that reason and improving every game, leaving 2 of Rupp, Konopka, Mitchell, Cullen, seto, or Clutter scratched.

same d pairings as the 2nd and 3rd period's of last night's game.
I'd take Rupp over Konopka/Kassian anyday. Rupp just has that hockey IQ that makes up for his slowness and lack of skill.

Mitchell just doesn't deserve to be scratched. He has filled his role perfectly all season and I was happy to see him get a goal the other night.

Seto has been a difference maker the past few games getting shots and creating chances. He is due for a streak and isn't derserving of a scratch either. I honestly think Brodziak needs to sit. He didn't just get all that money to not produce. He needs to start adding some offense.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:48 AM
centcougar07

Russo reporting that Granlund is with the fourth line again. For the love of God, just send him down if you're going to continue to put him on the fourth line. How is Cullen better than Granlund? Either have 64 center that second line with Zucker who he has great chemistry with or just send him to Houston where he can get some top 6 minutes in and develop into the player you want him to be in the future. Unless you're suddenly projecting him as a 4th line grinder.

centcougar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:57 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by centcougar07 View Post
Russo reporting that Granlund is with the fourth line again. For the love of God, just send him down if you're going to continue to put him on the fourth line. How is Cullen better than Granlund? Either have 64 center that second line with Zucker who he has great chemistry with or just send him to Houston where he can get some top 6 minutes in and develop into the player you want him to be in the future. Unless you're suddenly projecting him as a 4th line grinder.
This why I think a Wild trade is coming soon. The numbers game with the forwards is hurting them right now. It's taking away quality minutes from Granlund and the other young forwards. You have got to believe Fletcher is ready to give Zucker/Coyle a real look with the offensive ineptitude this season so far.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I couldn't care less what the lines look like if they are winning games, but I will admit that FBJ on the 4th line again is silly.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Zucker-FBJ-Seto
Butch-Cullen-Brodziak
Mitchell-Konopka-Clutter

If you want to keep Clutter on the 3rd, scratch Brodz and put Rupp on the 4th.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
This why I think a Wild trade is coming soon. The numbers game with the forwards is hurting them right now. It's taking away quality minutes from Granlund and the other young forwards. You have got to believe Fletcher is ready to give Zucker/Coyle a real look with the offensive ineptitude this season so far.
Who would've though after last year that this year the Wild would have too many NHL-level forwards???? Unbelievable

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:13 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Who would've though after last year that this year the Wild would have too many NHL-level forwards???? Unbelievable
It really is. Last year exposed our lack of depth brutally and now some of the players that never lived up to expectations; Bouchard, Cullen, and Seto will likely be gone along with their bad contracts (Cullen, PMB).

Old
02-21-2013, 03:41 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I don't agree with that one. He was tearing up an improved AHL before his injury, how would he learn anything there in a much more diluted form?

He is adapting his game to the NHL level, and you see progress each and every game these days. Sending him down now will stop that adaptation process as things there will once again come far too easily to him.

Right now, ANY NHL ice time for Granlund is an opportunity to adapt and learn... I'd just rather he was on the 2nd line since he's been clearly outplaying both Cullen and Brodziak for more than a week now.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:22 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
How is Cullen better than Granlund?
How about Cullen is a veteran and Granlund is the rookie. Right now the last thing Minnesota needs is Gran getting pressured and losing the development he's made in the NHL. He'll get to centering the second line soon enough but he needs to work out some basic kinks first and it's easier to fix those and cover them on the fourth line.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I don't agree with that one. He was tearing up an improved AHL before his injury, how would he learn anything there in a much more diluted form?

He is adapting his game to the NHL level, and you see progress each and every game these days. Sending him down now will stop that adaptation process as things there will once again come far too easily to him.

Right now, ANY NHL ice time for Granlund is an opportunity to adapt and learn... I'd just rather he was on the 2nd line since he's been clearly outplaying both Cullen and Brodziak for more than a week now.
He wasn't exactly tearing it up. Sure, he did just fine in Houston, but "tearing it up" would be overrating his play there.

I think one issue here is that Yeo doesn't want to put two rookies on the same line. Coyle was on the 1st line for several games, but when Yeo wanted Heatley back there, Coyle was sent down instead of placed on the 2nd line (well, I think he was there for a part of the last game). I'm not nearly as hesitant about putting two rookies together, of course depending on the 3rd party, but obviously Yeo doesn't want to do that. Not yet, at least.

I think Granlund being on the 4th line for an extended period of time will do him more harm than good. Whether 4th line duty fits a prospect depends on their player profile, and Granlund's profile doesn't fit it. Neither does Zucker's for that matter. For some prospects it's a decent alternative. The ones I could see gaining the most from being on the 4th line are Larsson and Coyle. Neither one of them is projected to be a grinder either, but their profiles are more suitable for playing on the 4th line while getting used to the NHL.

Still, I think sending Coyle down instead of burying him on the 4th line was the smart thing to do. They want a top 6 power forward and when there's no spot like that open on the team (and putting him with Granlund seemed to be out of the question), let him go down and play in a big role.

When it comes to the team's best interest, it doesn't really matter who centers the 4th line for 8 minutes tonight against the Oilers, but in the long run against other teams it could matter. So burying Granlund there semi-permanently shouldn't even be considered.

In conclusion, in the long-term I think there either has to be a trade to free Granlund a place on one of the top lines and/or Yeo has to get over his fear of putting two rookies together.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:56 AM
TZM
Par too easy

I'm thinking about 3 or 4 games for Zucker to prove that he is an upgrade to the top 6. Trade to create a spot for him if that's the case. Possibly a package deal so you have enough space for other youngsters too.

I'd love to see the kid line, atleast Zucks and Granlund together.

Zucker-Granlund-Coyle

Brodin-Scandy/Spurgie

Last edited by TZM: 02-21-2013 at 06:01 AM.
TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
When it comes to the team's best interest, it doesn't really matter who centers the 4th line for 8 minutes tonight against the Oilers, but in the long run against other teams it could matter. So burying Granlund there semi-permanently shouldn't even be considered.

Im not sure I understand the concept that he is being "buried" on the fourth line. Granlund's strength is his ability to slow the game down and see things that others can't. He needs to be developing this skill against NHL talent, otherwise we will be doing the same thing with him next year. On the fourth line the wild can manage his ice time and give him sheltered minutes that will allow him to develop without as much pressure. It also adds another dynamic to that 4th line.

As he gets better the kid will slowly take over the second line center (or winger) role. He just needs to develop habits (i.e. moving his feet at all times) that will help him get the time and space he needs.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Im not sure I understand the concept that he is being "buried" on the fourth line. Granlund's strength is his ability to slow the game down and see things that others can't. He needs to be developing this skill against NHL talent, otherwise we will be doing the same thing with him next year. On the fourth line the wild can manage his ice time and give him sheltered minutes that will allow him to develop without as much pressure. It also adds another dynamic to that 4th line.

As he gets better the kid will slowly take over the second line center (or winger) role. He just needs to develop habits (i.e. moving his feet at all times) that will help him get the time and space he needs.
I'm not sure if slowing down the game the way he's always done will ever work in the NHL. The vision hasn't gone anywhere, but he has to act faster and I think he already knows that. Offensive game is his strength, but against some teams you need toughness (I thought that's the reason we traded for Rupp in the first place), and Granlund as 4th line center isn't the answer.

I'd much rather see him work on his offense, figure out what works in NA and score than continuously watch him play nonexistent minutes with guys you can't expect to score. If Yeo doesn't trust him enough to give him decent TOI in the top lines, let him go to Houston and exercise his magic with other prospects. At first the 4th line was supposed to be a wake-up call for him- he responded by being better, then he was scratched and now a few games later the 4th line is apparently his spot. Sorry, but I just see very little sense in all this, especially if this is a long-term "solution".

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's funny because we traded for Rupp and brought in Konopka to add some toughness and now we're scratching Konopka and Mitchell to bring back skill and putting the skill guys on the fourth line.

I'd rather Yeo tried to run three scoring lines with a couple tweeners interspersed and then a fourth grind/check line, but what the hell. He's going to ride the two scoring lines, checking line, and lefties to a .500 finish it seems.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I'm not sure if slowing down the game the way he's always done will ever work in the NHL. The vision hasn't gone anywhere, but he has to act faster and I think he already knows that. Offensive game is his strength, but against some teams you need toughness (I thought that's the reason we traded for Rupp in the first place), and Granlund as 4th line center isn't the answer.

I'd much rather see him work on his offense, figure out what works in NA and score than continuously watch him play nonexistent minutes with guys you can't expect to score. If Yeo doesn't trust him enough to give him decent TOI in the top lines, let him go to Houston and exercise his magic with other prospects. At first the 4th line was supposed to be a wake-up call for him- he responded by being better, then he was scratched and now a few games later the 4th line is apparently his spot. Sorry, but I just see very little sense in all this, especially if this is a long-term "solution".
Well the game needs to slow down in his head, which allows him to see the ice in ways that other simply can't. I don't think that Houston would be bad for him; I just don't see it as some great solution that will make him (or the wild) that much better.

I just want to see how this plays out. The kid is already make great strides and I dont see any reason he shouldn't keep making them up here. Recall that last game was really the only game his icetime was below 10 minutes. As long as he is averaging somewhere between 10 to 15 minutes a game he should be fine. Im not really sure it matter who he is playing with, he just needs to play his game, not Rupps.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Jopsey

Why does Yeo like brodziak more than Granlund

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last year's Brodziak was better than this year's Granlund...but this year's Brodziak is just forgettable.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
Why does Yeo like brodziak more than Granlund
salary/cap hit
see: heatley and cullen

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
This is really bothering me as well. I do not understand why the hell Granlund is now continually put into a position he is very unlikely to succeed in.

Imo, he's been better than both Cullen and Brodziak, so I don't get it.

I also don't understand why he is sitting Konopka the way he has.

I get it, Konopka took a stupid penalty a couple games ago. It's not because of that we lost... He was trying to fire up the team, who had no legs to skate for whatever reason. He's one of our best face off guys and he is also one of our best forecheckers. He's decent at cycling the puck, and he plays the fourth line roll well.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post

I also don't understand why he is sitting Konopka the way he has.

I get it, Konopka took a stupid penalty a couple games ago. It's not because of that we lost... He was trying to fire up the team, who had no legs to skate for whatever reason. He's one of our best face off guys and he is also one of our best forecheckers. He's decent at cycling the puck, and he plays the fourth line roll well.
Agreed. He has been solid as rock. He doesn't cause turnovers either.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote