HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Probably not a realistic target barring a surprisingly great Luongo trade with a high 1st rounder return...

But man Hunter Shinkaruk would look good on this team.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Wasnt Skinner projected to go 20th but went like tenth overall? Same thing will happen with Lazar

Old
02-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Wasnt Skinner projected to go 20th but went like tenth overall? Same thing will happen with Lazar
Skinner scored 50 goals and 90 points. I like Lazar but there's no comparing them.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Skinner scored 50 goals and 90 points. I like Lazar but there's no comparing them.
So like Anthony Mantha? Also seems projected to go around 15-20 but is on pace for similar production.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:09 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Thing is, ISS has only dropped Lazar as far as 12th ALL season, even when the other lists had him in the 20's.

He'll be gone between 10-15 IMO.
Quote:
You know he wasn't comparing the players, just the rankings.

Closest guys to Skinner in this draft are Shinkaruk and Petan IMO (maybe Domi).

Old
02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You know he wasn't comparing the players, just the rankings.

Closest guys to Skinner in this draft are Shinkaruk and Petan IMO (maybe Domi).
It's a different situation and different players. It's like comparing him to Ryan Johansen or Mark Scheifele. Hell, the rankings situation isn't even the same.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
It's a different situation and different players. It's like comparing him to Ryan Johansen or Mark Scheifele. Hell, the rankings situation isn't even the same.
Fair enough.

I just don't think bgav was comparing them as players.

And since Lazar seems to be in the 20's by consensus (Mackenzie, Button, CSS, THW, FC etc) him rising into the top 10, could be similar to Skinner's rise.

I agree the players are nothing a like (hence why I used Petan and Shikaruk as comps).

On the topic, who of recent draftees could be similar to Lazar?

Scored again yesterday in case nobody noticed, I believe that is 14 goals and 2 assists in his last 13 or 14 games.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
And since Lazar seems to be in the 20's by consensus (Mackenzie, Button, CSS, THW, FC etc) him rising into the top 10, could be similar to Skinner's rise.
And that's exactly why I took an issue with it. Skinner was ranked highly by the ISS all season. It's the CSS that ranked him low and they were the only ones. In fact, they had him outside the Top 30 all year.

By contrast, Lazar is likely to rise now that he's scoring as much as he is. At no point in time was he ranked outside of the first round. He will rise before the draft and likely get drafted right around where he'll be ranked (Top 15-20). His ranking had everything to do with his production.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Tiranis

Hey arsmaster, what are your thoughts on Bjorkstrand? I haven't watched him in a while and was curious if you felt like he's improving or still the same perimeter player?

Old
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Hey arsmaster, what are your thoughts on Bjorkstrand? I haven't watched him in a while and was curious if you felt like he's improving or still the same perimeter player?
I watched the game against Kelowna on TV a few weeks back, hard to really notice him when Portland's top line was doing all that destroying.

Didn't feel he created too much.

But it seems that 2nd line has been on a tear since that weekend. Haven't even checked the highlights of those games yet.

Got tickets to the Royals-Winterhawks game on March 10th, so I'm hoping I'll have some live look reporting for all.

Also going on Saturday against the Rockets.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
I watched the game against Kelowna on TV a few weeks back, hard to really notice him when Portland's top line was doing all that destroying.

But it seems that 2nd line has been on a tear since that weekend. Haven't even checked the highlights of those games yet.

Got tickets to the Royals-Winterhawks game on March 10th, so I'm hoping I'll have some live look reporting for all.

Thanks. If you don't mind posting some thoughts here after those games, that would be great. Haven't watched much WHL in the last two months so quite behind on the prospects there.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Thanks. If you don't mind posting some thoughts here after those games, that would be great. Haven't watched much WHL in the last two months so quite behind on the prospects there.
Petan was unreal that night against the Rockets who were riding an 23 game home winning streak. Portland handled them fairly easily.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Petan was unreal that night against the Rockets who were riding an 23 game home winning streak. Portland handled them fairly easily.
I keep going back and forth on whether I would want us to draft Petan if he's the BPA in the 1st round. He's so dynamic and skilled and doesn't seem scared of the tough areas at all, but then I also think about how we really don't need to get any smaller...

Old
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I keep going back and forth on whether I would want us to draft Petan if he's the BPA in the 1st round. He's so dynamic and skilled and doesn't seem scared of the tough areas at all, but then I also think about how we really don't need to get any smaller...

If he's BPA you do it. Same goes for Domi if he drops. Size can still be a focus beyond the 1st round. If you get really good value, take the small guy.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Well my wish, obviously is that we win the cup, but also move Luongo at the draft....take Lazar early with the safe pick, and take Petan 30th. Then identify the bigger skilled project forwards that drop beyond that.

Who am I kidding though, 2 WHLers in the first round, with one being 5'8"....pretty unlikely, although when I look at Petan, I still think he has a little bit of growing left, not nearly the defined, muscular short guy Schoreder was at the draft.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

Apparently he had 4 goals and an assist, so quite a night for him.

Someone I've started taking a liking to is Jordan Subban. He seems like a classic high-risk, high-reward player we should take a chance on in the 3rd round, maybe even 2nd. I always prefer drafting players with high upside who fell due to concerns such as size, injuries, nationality, etc after the 1st round.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Kelowna must be on a bad streak now i watched Kamloops beat them in the first game of a home and home and listened to them win the second in Kelowna. Seemed like Kelowna got outplayed in both. Portland has sure been producing the high draft picks lately. There was a lot of hype for Lazar a year or two ago, has he not produced to the level expected? He stats did not pop out but it could be the system Edmonton plays. Portland really rides their top two lines. Maybe Edmonton doesnt. I remember reading something about Yzerman not scoring much in his draft year as his team rolled 4 lines, was still pick 4th overall though.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
ahmon

take the BPA, I remember watching Rattie and was impressed with his skill level.

From everything I have heard Petan is even better than Rattie.

High skill level trumps size issue.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
take the BPA, I remember watching Rattie and was impressed with his skill level.

"You can teach skill, but you can't teach size." - every scout in the 90's.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
"You can teach skill, but you can't teach size." - every scout in the 90's.

Brian Burke wants to know how you stole his strat.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Anyone else see Morgan Klimchuk as a good target for us in the 25-30 range?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbiasHockeyFan1 View Post
Anyone else see Morgan Klimchuk as a good target for us in the 25-30 range?
He could be.

Watched Regina play Moose Jaw last night on Shaw.

He played pretty well.

Scored a nice goal driving hard to the net (garbage goal).

Kid has a really good wrister.

I was disappointed in his dzone play. Soft back check and trying to cheat the zone directly led to a goal against.

He's a good player.

I favour others though. Guess it just depends on who's available.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post

It's not as easy as that. The total attributes of a player must be accounted for, not just skill. For example, the Blues (Rattie's draft team), have a penchant for drafting players with multiple facets to their game. It started in 2003 with Backes, then Oshie in 2005, Berglund, Eller, Tarasenko, Jaskin and so on. These players can do many things on the ice. They don't heavily rely on skill to get things done.

Then they also take players that rely more on skill like Perron, Shwartz and Rattie.

You need a mix, and sometimes the most purely skilled player doesn't make the best selection. It depends on what else may be available.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
BerSTUzzi

I know this is a crazy notion but I wouldn't mind picking up one or two of the Vancouver Giants (I know WHL and same town...crazy). I like what I see in Geertsen and Houck, the team is rebuilding this year but looks prime for a solid turn around in the next few years. Both are mid-round picks.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I know this is a crazy notion but I wouldn't mind picking up one or two of the Vancouver Giants (I know WHL and same town...crazy). I like what I see in Geertsen and Houck, the team is rebuilding this year but looks prime for a solid turn around in the next few years. Both are mid-round picks.

With the changes to the scouting staff, as in Delorme being unleashed to scout the WHL once again, it's very plausible that the Canucks start picking from their backyard once more.

Closed Thread