HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
This isn't a bad pairing because Vernace is good offensively and McIlrath is good defensively. Kind of like Leetch-Beukeboom. But Vernace got injured last game.

Vernace needs a quality defensive guy to cover for him as he's taking chances offensively. He can't be paired with Collins, who should be in the ECHL. That pairing, which Kenny G insisted on using for over half a season, is a disaster. Since moving away Vernace from Collins, his game has turned around.

He's on our first PK team. You have a guy who's big, fast and smart, so why wouldn't he be on the PK?

I don't remember many hip checks because usually smaller, chippier guys do that (think Kasparaitis, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelsson - all of them 5-11 to 6-1), but his body checks are great. He finishes the checks instead of just shoving the opponent, then quickly gets back in position. It's clear that as soon as he hits a guy, he thinks about making sure he goalie gets help.

Honestly, I am having a hard time pointing to a flaw on defense by McIlrath in the last couple of weeks. He's just been dominant defensively. If he played yesterday in the NHL the same way he did in Hartford, there would be a mass celebration on this forum.
A young Rob Blake used to hip check people in the head...

...great stuff BTW!

Old
02-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

how does McIlrath only have 1 pt with an assist in 21 games even for a big hitting defensive dman that is not that good at all. even Brooks Orpik put up points in the AHL. same type of player...

Old
02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
how does McIlrath only have 1 pt with an assist in 21 games even for a big hitting defensive dman that is not that good at all. even Brooks Orpik put up points in the AHL. same type of player...
It was a really nice assist though...

Old
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
It was textbook.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
1 point isnt good enough at all... so basically Rangers drafted their own John Erskine

Old
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Ail
k.

Got a month of hockey streams. Going to watch the Whale stream tonight and see how it goes.

02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
1 point isnt good enough at all... so basically Rangers drafted their own John Erskine
Not like McDonagh is putting up monster numbers.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Ail
k.

LMAO 2-0 Ice Caps already. This really is the NYR AHL affiliate.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
LMAO 2-0 Ice Caps already. This really is the NYR AHL affiliate.
How's Mcilrath's puck poise !?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
How's Mcilrath's puck poise !?
Textbook!

Old
02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Not like McDonagh is putting up monster numbers.
didn't in the ahl either.. his numbers were not much better than mcilrath's and his kit is better suited for offense

Old
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
CH2

McIlrath will get called up at least once this year. Will he actually play? I doubt it, but Torts is going to complain about toughness/responsibility in the third pair and he'll use McIlrath as motivation to get DZ/Gilroy/Bickel to play better.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Not a lovely night for the Whale. Not at all. Being in the arena for tonight's game was like watching last night's NYR game, except it was out of hand a lot quicker. Boring and sad. Whale scored to make it 3-1, then put pressure on at end of the second to try and make it 3-2 but couldn't. Ice Caps scored two more in the third to get up 5-1.

But at least we got to see Carroll and McIlrath fight Patrice Cormier. McIlrath's fight was textbook, in case you are curious.

Talbot pulled after one, but not really his fault. The Mission played great in relief considering the ass effort of the team in front of him.

Also Our Lord and Savior Jyri Niemi played. First time I've got to see him play this season. He moved up to fourth line forward late in the game. I like him. Don't ask why.

Jason Wilson is real bad.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
McIlrath will get called up at least once this year. Will he actually play? I doubt it, but Torts is going to complain about toughness/responsibility in the third pair and he'll use McIlrath as motivation to get DZ/Gilroy/Bickel to play better.
McIlrath is playing better than Bickel ever did in Hartford. So there's that.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Didnt see tonight's game, so obviously without my support the team collapsed again.

i cant compare Bickel to McIlrath because they are in fingerer leagues, but my opinion is that he is better than Eminger already. Would you agree?

Old
02-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Mcilrath was -2 with a delay of game penalty and a fight. Against one of the A's worst teams. Was he as bad as the rest of the team last night?

Old
02-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Showed that in first ten games. If he can kill penalties well enough, and I think he can, he brings more value than Gilly. And I like Gilroy.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:26 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
What? Have you watched him play? How can you compare him to someone without watching him?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
One thing I have noticed about McI through the first half of the season, he has not so good balance and falls down a lot when he hits, gets hit or goes in the corners... Guy with his size must be firm on the ice and not fall on the ice so much.

Also, his shot from the point is... damn, has he shot from the point this season already? I don't remember that a single time! lol...

McI and Klassen have been the best Dmen when it comes to defense, Blake Zubov..err Parlett, Logan Letang...err Pyett and Mike Blake.. err Vernace are better offensively. Sean Collins is this generation's Rick Zombo and Niemi is just lost out there..

Old
02-21-2013, 09:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Michael Sauer had 2 points in his first 30 AHL games. He wasn't an offensive dynamo by any stretch, but that's okay as he was focusing on refining his defense. He had 15 points his rookie season with the Rangers, and you could tell he had enough poise and ability to become a 25-point guy on a regular basis. He was tasked first and foremost with becoming an adept defender, which is why the offense was slower to develop.

McIlrath is much the same. He's a defensive defenseman that's clearly focused on that side of the puck. We drafted him to crush people and lock down the opposition. That's what he's learning to do. The offense will come. He's already showing an increased willingness to join the rush and to pinch, and though he has nothing to show for it has occasionally exhibited a good, hard shot. To become a successful pro, he needed to improve his positioning and gap control. He has developed quite a bit in just a season's time in those areas. I promise you that no one in the organization is the least bit concerned by his point totals.

Look, I HATED the pick. Couldn't believe it. I got over that and started evaluating him for what he was. He's developing well. The kid is going to be a bigger, nastier Brooks Orpik. He'll be a player for us, for sure.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 02-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
One thing I have noticed about McI through the first half of the season, he has not so good balance and falls down a lot when he hits, gets hit or goes in the corners... Guy with his size must be firm on the ice and not fall on the ice so much.

Also, his shot from the point is... damn, has he shot from the point this season already? I don't remember that a single time! lol...

McI and Klassen have been the best Dmen when it comes to defense, Blake Zubov..err Parlett, Logan Letang...err Pyett and Mike Blake.. err Vernace are better offensively. Sean Collins is this generation's Rick Zombo and Niemi is just lost out there..
Falling down on hits, not taking that huge slapper of his. Both can be improved on.

These are two things that have not been said much, thank you.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Michael Sauer had 2 points in his first 30 AHL games. He wasn't an offensive dynamo by any stretch, but that's okay as he was focusing on refining his defense. He had 15 points his rookie season with the Rangers, and you could tell he had enough poise and ability to become a 25-point guy on a regular basis. He was tasked first and foremost with becoming an adept defender, which is why the offense was slower to develop.

McIlrath is much the same. He's a defensive defenseman that's clearly focused on that side of the puck. We drafted him to crush people and lock down the opposition. That's what he's learning to do. The offense will come. He's already showing an increased willingness to join the rush and to pinch, and though he has nothing to show for it has occasionally exhibited a good, hard shot. To become a successful pro, he needed to improve his positioning and gap control. He has developed quite a bit in just a season's time in those areas. I promise you that no one in the organization is the least bit concerned by his point totals.

Look, I HATED the pick. Couldn't believe it. I got over that and started evaluating him for what he was. He's developing well. The kid is going to be a bigger, nastier Brooks Orpik. He'll be a player for us, for sure.

I really respect you for keeping an open mind. There are a handful of Ranger fans that are so invested in being right that it becomes obvious they really want the kid to fail.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I'm with yu up until the bold. We really can't say for certain that we are developing him well. And I fully agree with you about how he's coming along. But you can't say it as a certain. Nor can you say he's going to be a bigger and nastier Orpik, thats going a little too far and just as bad as people who say he's a bust. Both extremes don't apply to this prospect yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I really respect you for keeping an open mind. There are a handful of Ranger fans that are so invested in being right that it becomes obvious they really want the kid to fail.
No serious Ranger fan hopes to be 'right' over the team succeeding.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm with yu up until the bold. We really can't say for certain that we are developing him well. And I fully agree with you about how he's coming along. But you can't say it as a certain. Nor can you say he's going to be a bigger and nastier Orpik, thats going a little too far and just as bad as people who say he's a bust. Both extremes don't apply to this prospect yet.
He is developing well. I've seen a big improvement in his game over the past year. I don't see the harm in stating that. Could his development stall, or could he regress? Absolutely. He's on the right track though and I'm comfortable sharing my belief that he's becoming a very good defenseman.

There are never any certainties in projections. He's not Brooks Orpik and may never become him. That's my projection though. He is already bigger and nastier. The former is fact, the latter is an opinion supported by plenty of empirical evidence. Will he become a player the overall quality of Orpik? Obviously I cannot say. Again though, I feel like he's on the right path.

I stand by everything I said in my previous post 100%.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He is developing well. I've seen a big improvement in his game over the past year.
Ok, lay it on me, what have you seen that makes you say that.

Again, I don't disagree, but when you say for certain I have to ask why.

Quote:
There are never any certainties in projections. He's not Brooks Orpik and may never become him. That's my projection though. He is already bigger and nastier. The former is fact, the latter is an opinion supported by plenty of empirical evidence. Will he become a player the overall quality of Orpik? Obviously I cannot say. Again though, I feel like he's on the right path.

I stand by everything I said in my previous post 100%.
You said 'he kid is going to be a bigger, nastier Brooks Orpik. He'll be a player for us, for sure'

That's not a projection

Closed Thread