HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The ALL encompassing Rumors & Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I don't think you can evaluate our players strictly from the pittsburgh games.

For some reason our guys really step up their play against them. Yet they are unable to duplicate the performance against other teams ( i.e. NJD)

This was the first game all year where i though couturier was a beast. Why can't he show it more often.... If he doesn't we can't solely judge him from these few games.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think I would advocate trading Couturier, but if the right deal came along I wouldn't be opposed to it.
That goes for any player. I think trading Couturier now is a huge mistake because you won't be getting full value for him. He is nowhere physically mature enough yet and he probably shouldn't have been playing in the league last year. Claude Giroux really didn't start to shine in the NHL until he was 22-23 years old. Same with Jeff Carter. Couturier is 20. Give him some time.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
gagne had those seasons because of forsberg. you center read with giroux for an entire season and he could muscle his way to a 40 goal season. its just hard to believe until you see it.
gags had a pretty good year when forsberg was out. he was a 1st liner in his own right.

i like read but he is to the sniper role what hartnell is to the power forward adequate but not ideal. he can compliment giroux but id rather a natural scorer for that role

Old
02-21-2013, 07:57 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I don't think you can evaluate our players strictly from the pittsburgh games.

For some reason our guys really step up their play against them. Yet they are unable to duplicate the performance against other teams ( i.e. NJD)

This was the first game all year where i though couturier was a beast. Why can't he show it more often.... If he doesn't we can't solely judge him from these few games.
Flyers - Penguins is like dumping sugar cubes into a kindergarten. Every player on both sides looks like they are on sensory overload and that it's SCF #7. Teams like the Devils are consistently good because they rarely get off the system.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
I don't think I would advocate trading Couturier, but if the right deal came along I wouldn't be opposed to it.
You can't trade Coots for the simple fact he's planted inside Baby Huey's head for the next ten years.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

I wouldn't trade Couts right now at all. The only player I would consider trading him for is Piety out of St Louis. Young capable #1 dman, but we would have to add a lot. Couts is still just 20 years old and seems to be working through the sophmore slump the same way Schenn has. Our center depth is amazing, and I see Laughton playing on our 4th line next year or even the next. We have time to let our centers grow and mature into NHL stars. Couts offensive game scares me a little, but then after games like last night you see why he has all the potential scouts saw in him.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:40 AM
CyborgLindros

I wouldn't trade Couts. 20 year old who once again shut down Malkin last night. Defensively he showed his strengths last year and his offensive upside can be seen from his work in Jr's and the Pens series last year.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:42 AM
CyborgLindros

In other news McGinn getting the healthy scratch two days in a row? Harry Z replacing him? Idk if it means he just needed to watch a few or if he's being floated out as bait/being sent back down?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I thought Couturier seemed faster last night. It was kind of odd because it was a very noticeable difference.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
In other news McGinn getting the healthy scratch two days in a row? Harry Z replacing him? Idk if it means he just needed to watch a few or if he's being floated out as bait/being sent back down?
Or Harry Z is being showcased? He will should be back in the lineup with Matt Read hurt.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Prongo
Beer

Also doesn't anyone else find it weird that Mcginn still be a healthy scratch? I don't see why we wouldn't send him back down to the AHL if they are going to keep sitting him? Maybe they are in trade talks for ROR and Mcginn might be part of the package? Of course more would be included, but they don't want to risk injury? Harry Z should not be in there over Mcginn though.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Harry Z has shown little why he should be in over Tye Mcginn.
trade showcase? What are you gonna get for Harry Z? A 7th round pick?

Old
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
What are you gonna get for Harry Z?
On HF?? Bobby Ryan straight up.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Harry Z has shown little why he should be in over Tye Mcginn.
trade showcase? What are you gonna get for Harry Z? A 7th round pick?
At which point everyone would act like a 7th round pick is worthless and the trade was terrible...then he will trade a 7th round pick and everyone will lose their mind about how stupid Homer is with draft picks.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Watching the game last night I was thinking the same thing about Couturier. It's not that he's been actually bad in other games, but he's only been, well, middling. I do think he has more in him, but unfortunately this season, apart from a couple of flashes, he hasn't shown it yet. There's still plenty of games to played, though, and I'm not worried about him.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
At which point everyone would act like a 7th round pick is worthless and the trade was terrible...then he will trade a 7th round pick and everyone will lose their mind about how stupid Homer is with draft picks.
right. Just a tad different then trading a 2nd and a 4th for Kubina.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
right. Just a tad different then trading a 2nd and a 4th for Kubina.
I never said that was a good trade, but it is interesting to note that he gets killed for that move (and others in the same category), but when he gets draft picks it is simply glossed over. While he has probably traded more draft picks than he has received (though I never actually counted), he has also received a number in return for players. The ones he gets back never seem to register the ecstatic response I would expect from the people who lose their minds when one is traded. Wouldn't you think if people get so mad that he traded away a precious 2nd and 4th rounder that when he got a 2nd and two 4th rounders back after that people would be jumping for joy?

Old
02-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Yeah, no. Not at all.

02-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

Really let's not turn this into a Homer thread please.

Harry Z isn't worth a lot. Let's not mention trading him lol.

Also add Boyd Gordon to the list of players that I would like to acquire if Phoenix is out of it and we are in it.

Last edited by Prongo: 02-21-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I thought Couturier seemed faster last night. It was kind of odd because it was a very noticeable difference.
He was more noticeable..however not sure why he tried to pass on that one scoring attempt where he was right on Vokoun's doorstep....

Old
02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Nominated: Post of the Month.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
I never said that was a good trade, but it is interesting to note that he gets killed for that move (and others in the same category), but when he gets draft picks it is simply glossed over. While he has probably traded more draft picks than he has received (though I never actually counted), he has also received a number in return for players. The ones he gets back never seem to register the ecstatic response I would expect from the people who lose their minds when one is traded. Wouldn't you think if people get so mad that he traded away a precious 2nd and 4th rounder that when he got a 2nd and two 4th rounders back after that people would be jumping for joy?
yeah. there is a double standard. you keep telling yourself that. I hope it makes you feel better.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

Honestly how do we feel about Jay Bouwmeester people? He has played pretty well this year in Calgary, and if we can get them to retain some salary, would you pull the trigger on a deal for him?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
yeah. there is a double standard. you keep telling yourself that. I hope it makes you feel better.
Yeah, maybe there isn't. That is why so many people on here get so excited about the draft picks Homer has acquired. Like when he flipped Ryan Parent for a third rounder. If the Flyers had traded a third rounder for Ryan Parent at that point in his career, Homer would have been flamed beyond belief for his poor asset management and loss of such a valuable pick for such a ****** player. He gets a third rounder for him and it is rarely ever mentioned after the few days after the trade is made. Certainly never mentioned when people are talking about his track record of trading valuable picks away. But yeah, it is probably just my imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Honestly how do we feel about Jay Bouwmeester people? He has played pretty well this year in Calgary, and if we can get them to retain some salary, would you pull the trigger on a deal for him?
I'd be in to that. I wonder what it would take. Picks and/or prospects or if they would want a roster player or more?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

im not turning this into a Holmgren hate thread or whatever DFF. If you want to bump that Holmgren thread from last week feel free. Otherwise you will just be talking to yourself in this thread on the subject.

Closed Thread