HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part 1 **

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Can we find a job for Ted Haggard in there somewhere?
Sure he can replace Roach as the new PA announcer.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
My thought then on Josh K:

Perhaps it depends more on how much control and aspirations Josh Kronke has in regards to the Avalanche. It has been long enough for him to be the owner/controller trainee, and so if he truly has control of this team, things may start to shake up a bit.

A young guy wanting to prove himself and build a winner will be more likely to change the status quo. He may start at the top by releasing PL, or at the bottom by starting to influence player decisions and coaching. I think that a quality coach will be hired if PL loses influence with J.K. Nothing helps that happen more than having a continually floundering franchise.

If he's just a figurehead in place so his father could by the Rams, then unfortunately it will be more of the same.

Hopefully he's a young owner in the world of men twice his age or more, and he'll be hell bent on doing what it takes to earn their respect and prove he's a force and part of the future in this league. (ala Mark Cuban). The easiest of ways to do that is to build a winner.
So here's the thing about that. Currently the Avs have a group of people who run the Avs (the Lacroix(s), Joe Sakic, Billington, etc...) and Josh Kroenke who's the owner. The deal is that Josh is passionate...about basketball. He'll say all the right things, once every few years when he's interviewed and asked about the Avs but mostly, he just lets that group handle the hockey operations.

To do what you're suggesting, Josh Kroenke would need to be passionate about hockey and 'rub elbows' with people who could potentially take over for the current group that is running hockey operations. I doubt very much that he knows a lot of other hockey people. The facts are this, the Avalanche have won 2 championships and a multitude of division championships since coming to Denver in 1995. Since the previous lockout, we've had a more difficult time and needed to go into rebuild mode but if you look at the past 18 years and the list of clubs who haven't done ANYTHING, I can certainly understand why Josh Kroenke is satisfied with the guys running things currently.

Simply put, what you're suggesting would shock the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
I don't feel that the Kroenke's have a clue about how to run a Hockey Team. They basically let PL run everything. It's his baby, they just pay the bills.
This.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:05 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Lindy Ruff would be a step up, but I'm not sure he's who we need. I was on the Carlyle bandwagon before he went to Toronto, I wish we'd have nabbed him. Look what he did for that team, they are hardly anymore talented than us if at all when we're healthy.

I will continue to rep Jon Cooper until he takes over a team and does well with them.
I'd love to get rid of Sacco as much as the next guy...but it ain't happening imo

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
And say yes to................?
He's not as good as advertised, it's as simple as that.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He's not as good as advertised, it's as simple as that.
You are wrong it's as simple as that. You don't last 15 years in ONE team without being a great coach.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Please,, please, please hire Lindy Ruff.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
You are wrong it's as simple as that. You don't last 15 years in ONE team without being a great coach.
True...but I hope we find a guy who's just a little less enamored with grinders. I think there are better candidates out there.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:50 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Please,, please, please hire Lindy Ruff.
I've given up hope on us firing Sacco AND hiring from outside the organization.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:54 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
I've given up hope on us firing Sacco AND hiring from outside the organization.
for what its worth, and I know its not much. I asked Dater in one of his chats if he thought the avs would hire someone outside once saccos done and he answered zero chance.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Exactly. Ever since the whole Drury/Briere debacle (which admittedly was not his fault) Regier has been a horrendous asset manager, practically panics when it comes to losing potential free agents. And yeah, his ridiculous spending spree on one of the worst-ever free agent classes has left the Sabres in a big rut.

Too bad for Lindy--he more or less got fired because his goalie was decidedly average.

If the Sabres continue to flounder, I wouldn't be surprised if Regier was let go as well at season's end, even with his recent contract extension. I read somewhere Burke has already talked to an Eastern Conference team.
That's simply not true, Miller has been great this season, the defense has really been THAT bad in front of him. On paper, the defense should be decent, but they've easily been the worst on the ice..yes even worse than the Avs defense has been.

Truth be told, Ruff has been incredibly mediocre ever since Hasek left and wasn't there to carry his teams. He should have been fired after last season when the team failed to make the playoffs and was a very hyped team going into the season at the time.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

JR just said Sacco is a great coach. lol

Old
02-21-2013, 01:49 AM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

Quote:
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
Not sure I agree with JR who says #Avs players like playing for Joe Sacco
This is more accurate, Im sure hes talked to Stewy, Shattenkirk maybe others (#26)

Old
02-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grackle Party View Post
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
Not sure I agree with JR who says #Avs players like playing for Joe Sacco

This is more accurate, Im sure hes talked to Stewy, Shattenkirk maybe others (#26)
Whoa, that's an interesting comment. It seems like Sacco is a very player friendly coach, and TPS has allued to the players liking him before.

Doesn't make him a good coach, but I wonder where he's getting this info from, and if it has more to do with Lefebvre.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
That's simply not true, Miller has been great this season, the defense has really been THAT bad in front of him. On paper, the defense should be decent, but they've easily been the worst on the ice..yes even worse than the Avs defense has been.

Truth be told, Ruff has been incredibly mediocre ever since Hasek left and wasn't there to carry his teams. He should have been fired after last season when the team failed to make the playoffs and was a very hyped team going into the season at the time.
Fair enough, I knew Miller wasn't awful by any means, but not quite as "Miller" as he usually is. But I've heard the D has been pretty bad. I have to wonder at this point if Regehr is pretty much done. He was already in a pretty steep decline near the end of his time in Calgary.

But I don't know...worse than the Avs' D!? That's a pretty tough thing to do.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:45 AM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Simply put, what you're suggesting would shock the hell out of me.
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the insight.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
for what its worth, and I know its not much. I asked Dater in one of his chats if he thought the avs would hire someone outside once saccos done and he answered zero chance.
It really isn't.

Dater is as informed as any of us and he's saying what he thinks based on what he's been seeing and that's the Avs promoting from within.

However:

1994 - Crawford [poached from AHL from Leafs]
1998 - Hartley [promoted from AHL farm team affiliate Hershey]
2002 - Granato [brought-in as assistant but basically from outside/nowhere]
2005 - Quenneville [brought-in after being fired from St-Louis]
2008 - Granato [re-promoted stupidly]
2009 - Sacco [promoted from AHL farm team affiliate Lake Erie - after they couldn't come to term with Roy]

So basically, they don't necessarily AVOID bringing in coaches from outside the organization as we can see with Q and Crawford just as they promote from within as well. Granato, well, that's just a big giant ? and just doesn't make any sense.

One thing is certain, they either KNOW the guy before hand or they prefer to promote from within. So for THAT reason alone, Lindy Ruff wouldn't be considered.

So if the Avs were to get rid of Sacco at some point, you can pretty much bet that the next coach of this team would be one of:

a) Patrick Roy
b) Jacques Martin
c) David Quinn
d) Dean Chynoweth
e) Tim Army

Old
02-21-2013, 12:06 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
It really isn't.

Dater is as informed as any of us and he's saying what he thinks based on what he's been seeing and that's the Avs promoting from within.

However:

2009 - Sacco [promoted from AHL farm team affiliate Lake Erie - after they couldn't come to term with Roy]

So basically, they don't necessarily AVOID bringing in coaches from outside the organization as we can see with Q and Crawford just as they promote from within as well. Granato, well, that's just a big giant ? and just doesn't make any sense.

One thing is certain, they either KNOW the guy before hand or they prefer to promote from within. So for THAT reason alone, Lindy Ruff wouldn't be considered.

So if the Avs were to get rid of Sacco at some point, you can pretty much bet that the next coach of this team would be one of:

a) Patrick Roy
b) Jacques Martin
c) David Quinn
d) Dean Chynoweth
e) Tim Army
It's worth noting that Quenneville was an assistant with the Avs under Crawford, so it's only partially true that he came from outside the organization. Completely agree with the rest, I'd be shocked if the next Avs coach isn't one of the five you listed.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
It really isn't.

However:

a) Patrick Roy
b) Jacques Martin
c) David Quinn
d) Dean Chynoweth
e) Tim Army
They have to have some sort of strong past connection somewhere. As detrude mentioned, Q was the Avs assistant under under Crawford. Also Bllington loves BU guys. He's the one that called Sacco to come to Lake Erie when he was working in his family's moving business after retiring. He's probably responsible for bringing in Quinn too.

Deader, Kono, Lefebvre, obviously all ex players. Granato's ties were with Eric Lacroix as they were good buddies and roommates I think on the Kings.

Cloutier they just got stuck with because he played for the Nordiques, and then became their goalie coach right after he retired, and moved his way around the organization.

Crawford's really the only guy that I don't think they had a strong connection to, and that was 20 year ago when PL first got hired.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1000
You'd think Eric Lacroix would have a bigger interest in hockey than basketball, since he played hockey.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Both Bob Boughner and Dale Hunter played for the AVs...and although I'd rather have someone with more NHL experience I'd take either of those two if they could also bring in their own staff. I just think a head coach should be offered a completely clean slate.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Both Bob Boughner and Dale Hunter played for the AVs...and although I'd rather have someone with more NHL experience I'd take either of those two if they could also bring in their own staff. I just think a head coach should be offered a completely clean slate.
Love the title under your name.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:56 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Love the title under your name.
This cool moderator I know suggested it. It's kinda fitting both for me and the guy in my avatar (Podes.)

By the way...congrats Bubba! You'll do a great job as an enforcer around here.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
This cool moderator I know suggested it. It's kinda fitting both for me and the guy in my avatar (Podes.)

By the way...congrats Bubba! You'll do a great job as an enforcer around here.
Oh. I thought it was me that suggested it.

Thanks for the congrats. They give you this cool BanHammer and an awesome Rod of Infractions when you start. Unlimited charges in both. We have such a great group of people here, though, that I don't expect I'll ever have to use either of them...not on our locals, at least.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
I always thought that Avs players play hard for Sacco. He'd probably be a good assistant coach if we had a strong systems head coach.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I always thought that Avs players play hard for Sacco. He'd probably be a good assistant coach if we had a strong systems head coach.
But how would Sacco take to being demoted?

Closed Thread