HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Malkinstheman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Fleury isn't getting traded. None of this is his fault.

I think we should sign Benjamin Conz. Was talking to Imaginary Threats and he appears to be lighting the league up. only 21 so would be a good pick-up.
Bejamin has stated alot of times that he wants to stay is switzerland and ive heard that he is very rude towards scouts as well..

Old
02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

If Kunitz continues his slide he'd still be a decent 3rd liner. Also, let's hope that Shero gets Crosby some legitimate wingers. Stewart and Iginla come to mind.

Stewart-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jeffrey-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Adams/Glass

Despres/Niskanen - Letang
Martin - Orpik
Bortuzzo - Engelland

Trade (some of) the following:

Tangradi
Kennedy
Pouliot
Maatta
Niskanen

Iginla Trade:

Iginla

for

Pouliot/Maatta
Tangradi/Kennedy
Conditional Pick (1st or 2nd) if the Pens win the Cup OR if Iginla re-signs with Pittsburgh

Stewart Trade:

Stewart

for

Niskanen/Kennedy/Tangradi
Later Round Pick

Then hopefully for the 2013-2014 season

Stewart (3.25M) - Crosby (8.7M) - Iginla (4M)
Kunitz (3.725M) - Malkin (8.7M) - Neal (5M)
Jeffrey (1.0M) - Sutter (2.067M) - Dupuis (1.25M)
Glass (1.1M) - Vitale (0.55M) - XXX (0.8M)
XXX (0.8M)

Despres (0.84M) - Letang (3.5M)
Orpik (3.75M) - Martin (5M)
Bortuzzo (0.567M) - Engelland (0.567M)
XXX (0.6M)

Fleury (5M)
Vokoun (2M)

62.766 Million Payroll
1.534 Million Cap Space

I can dream, right?

Old
02-02-2013, 04:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
If Kunitz continues his slide he'd still be a decent 3rd liner. Also, let's hope that Shero gets Crosby some legitimate wingers. Stewart and Iginla come to mind.

Stewart-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jeffrey-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Adams/Glass

Despres/Niskanen - Letang
Martin - Orpik
Bortuzzo - Engelland

Trade (some of) the following:

Tangradi
Kennedy
Pouliot
Maatta
Niskanen

Iginla Trade:

Iginla

for

Pouliot/Maatta
Tangradi/Kennedy
Conditional Pick (1st or 2nd) if the Pens win the Cup OR if Iginla re-signs with Pittsburgh

Stewart Trade:

Stewart

for

Later Round Pick

XXX (0.8M)

XXX (0.6M)

Fleury (5M)
Vokoun (2M)

62.766 Million Payroll
1.534 Million Cap Space

I can dream, right?
Yes, you're dreaming.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yes, you're dreaming.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Also, let's hope that Shero gets Crosby some legitimate wingers. Stewart and Iginla come to mind.
Iginla Trade:

Iginla

for

Pouliot/Maatta
Tangradi/Kennedy

Stewart Trade:

Stewart

for

Later Round Pick

XXX (0.8M)

XXX (0.6M)

Fleury (5M)
Vokoun (2M)

62.766 Million Payroll
1.534 Million Cap Space

I can dream, right?
Several flaws. Iggy likely won't re-sign anywhere for less than 5-6m. Maybe as little as 4.5m on a longer term deal (3-4 years vs a 1-2 yr deal). Stewart - even if he's just average the rest of the year, will cost ~3.5-4m. Dupuis will cost at least his current 1.5m - if not closer to 2m (most likely somewhere in between - 1.7m?).

Additionally, we do not need both Iggy and Stewart. The issue isn't Dupuis on Sid's wing - as much as I'd rather someone else, he's an acceptable 3rd wheel in the short term. The issue is when it's both Kunitz AND Dupuis. Just getting someone like Seto/Stewart will make a big difference for the Pens and Sid going forward.

Someone I wouldn't mind the Pens looking at is Bouchard. Skilled guy who could be dangerous playing with other skilled guys like Geno or Sid. But only after the Pens find a shooter for Sid's wing. He's kind of like Hemsky. Wouldn't mind him either... but not as Sid's main winger.

If Minny sucks it up this year, I wonder if they would move both Seto and Bouchard? Send them Despres and a 2nd or Despres and Maatta for those two and something else?

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Too early to lock in the Niskanen, TK, Tangradi, Lovejoy and 1st for Corey Perry?

Common there has to be a way to move our one good tradable D, along with all of our refuse and a pick, for a superstar!

Old
02-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Flat Stanley

With the way Bortuzzo is playing and he continues and if Dumoulin is ready next season, what about trading Niskanen and Engelland?

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Letang
Dumoulin-Bortuzzo
Reese (?)

The only reason why I say trade Engelland is because he is a solid #6 defenseman and shouldn't be #7. Despres has looked solid next to Letang and Bylsma seems to like the idea of that pair. Orpik and Martin is the shutdown pair, and the Dumoulin-Bortuzzo pair is a big 3rd pair that can skate, move the puck and play solid defensively.

We can get picks or package them for a complimentary winger.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
With the way Bortuzzo is playing and he continues and if Dumoulin is ready next season, what about trading Niskanen and Engelland?

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Letang
Dumoulin-Bortuzzo
Reese (?)

The only reason why I say trade Engelland is because he is a solid #6 defenseman and shouldn't be #7. Despres has looked solid next to Letang and Bylsma seems to like the idea of that pair. Orpik and Martin is the shutdown pair, and the Dumoulin-Bortuzzo pair is a big 3rd pair that can skate, move the puck and play solid defensively.

We can get picks or package them for a complimentary winger.
I'd keep Engo as number 7. He's cheap and effective with likely relatively little trade value. No reason to trade him imo

Old
02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Flat Stanley

I would like to keep Engelland also, my reason for trading him was so he could get ice time, if he doesn't mind being a #7 then you 100% keep him.

I think Engelland could bring back a 3rd, and Niskanen could bring back a 2nd.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:34 PM
WarriorScholar

I'm the only one pimping vrbata it seems. Living in Michigan I guess, watching those matchups with wings and coyotes over the years...and seeing vrbata always play well against them in the playoffs is a reason why I want him. He's battle tested for sure.

Kunitz - Crosby - Vrbata
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Kennedy
Adams /Jeffrey /tangradi as depth unless we move one or both of Jeffrey/tangradi.

Niskanen - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Despres - Bortuzzo
Engo

Could you live with that lineup heading into playoffs? A realistic one...obviously I'd prefer iginla or perry ...but it's not happening.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I'm the only one pimping vrbata it seems. Living in Michigan I guess, watching those matchups with wings and coyotes over the years...and seeing vrbata always play well against them in the playoffs is a reason why I want him. He's battle tested for sure.

Kunitz - Crosby - Vrbata
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Kennedy
Adams /Jeffrey /tangradi as depth unless we move one or both of Jeffrey/tangradi.

Niskanen - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Despres - Bortuzzo
Engo

Could you live with that lineup heading into playoffs? A realistic one...obviously I'd prefer iginla or perry ...but it's not happening.
I'd love that line-up. Is there any reason to think Phoenix will trade Vrbata though?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:26 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'd love that line-up. Is there any reason to think Phoenix will trade Vrbata though?
Few reasons. I mentioned us having a relationship with them as one. But that alone means nothing if a team is a serious playoff contender. With coyotes making it to the CF last year, you would think they are legit contenders again this season....to at least make the playoffs. And they definitely could..should. But IMO they will fall off. They have been extremely inconsistent to start the season( some fans even talking about tanking to get a top pick...ha) and have a very tough schedule in march , which is what matters considering deadline is right after. So the rest of february is key, their next 7 games are very winnable....to finish off the month. I'll be paying attention to that just as much as our own games.

That 1-0 shootout win against the sharks certainly didn't help. Vrbata with the winner of course.

Anyways, this is all just my opinion ...I don't have Eklunds inside connections of course.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Letang
Dumoulin-Bortuzzo
Reese (?)
I think your selling dumoulin a litte short here. His skill level is too high to play on the third line IMO. I think he would look great with letang/replacement for orpik. The perfect players to replace engellnd would be rouup/semour

Old
02-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

First of all, until this organization commits to having an enforcer on the fourth line again (like we used to have with Michel Therrien as coach), then Engelland is going nowhere. We've lost a LOT of toughness since our Cup win. It's a trend we need to reverse, if anything. Engelland stays until then.

As for Radim Vrbata, why would Phoenix deal him? Unless you're dealing Kunitz or some other player ready to step in and replace him, why would the Coyotes do this?

Any futures they acquire is probably for Quebec City or Seattle. In other words, they're only concerned with the here and now.

So unless they want Kunitz or Dupuis+, or Cooke+, or Kennedy++, I seriously doubt there's a fit here.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
I think your selling dumoulin a litte short here. His skill level is too high to play on the third line IMO. I think he would look great with letang/replacement for orpik. The perfect players to replace engellnd would be rouup/semour
Oh I know Dumoulin has upside, I'm not saying he's a 3rd pair defenseman, but in terms of pro development, to ease him into his role in the NHL we should start him on the 3rd pair with Bortuzzo and Engelland.

Despres would be a more experienced NHL player and possibly be Letangs D partner. So 3 of the starting 6 defensemen would be 6'4" two way defensemen with the other 3 being Letang, Orpik and Martin.

About Vrbata, my first thread on this site was about wingers we could acquire. I mentioned Vrbata, Kobasew, Tanguay, etc. We signed Steve Sullivan but I thought Vrbata would have been a fit. I don't think he will leave Phoenix though, he likes it there, and there's no reason for them to trade him, in my opinion anyways.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Riptide

Quote:
I would like to keep Engelland also, my reason for trading him was so he could get ice time, if he doesn't mind being a #7 then you 100% keep him.

I think Engelland could bring back a 3rd, and Niskanen could bring back a 2nd.
There's going to be injuries (just look at the last 2 years). I would think that Engo wouldn't mind being on a cup contender as long as he'll get a shot to play.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:43 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

The young big Ds like Bortuzzo, Despres, and eventually Dumoulin are going to make Orpik expendable...

Perhaps a Stewart for Orpik swap is in the cards sooner than people think?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
The young big Ds like Bortuzzo, Despres, and eventually Dumoulin are going to make Orpik expendable...

Perhaps a Stewart for Orpik swap is in the cards sooner than people think?
I think they make Niskanen more expendable than Orpik.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Flat Stanley

The Penguins need to have some defensive presence on Malkin and Neal's LW. Kunitz on that line made that our best line last season. I know Kulemin has been talked about, if a trade can't be made for that type of player, I think you move Kunitz with Malkin and Neal and find Crosby a winger on the trade market.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Flat Stanley

Simon Despres should be playing. Niskanen should not be in the top 4.

TIOPS, while people on here consider it a non credible source, makes some good points.

ES minutes to ES goals against ratio, Niskanen has the worst mark of any Penguins defenseman. He has been on the ice for 9 even strength goals against and they broke it down to Niskanen being on the ice on average for an ES goal against every 17 minutes.

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland/Bortuzzo

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...-martin/55619/

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 02-21-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Simon Despres should be playing. Niskanen should not be in the top 4.

TIOPS, while people on here consider it a non credible source, makes some good points.

ES minutes to ES goals against ratio, Niskanen has the worst mark of any Penguins defenseman. He has been on the ice for 9 even strength goals against and they broke it down to Niskanen being on the ice on average for an ES goal against every 17 minutes.

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland/Bortuzzo

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...-martin/55619/
Niskanen as a bottom pairing dman in a cap era is a luxury. This year it could work but definitely not next. I really like the Bortuzzo/Engelland pair. Maybe Niskanen is the d that will be on the move

Old
02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Niskanen as a bottom pairing dman in a cap era is a luxury. This year it could work but definitely not next. I really like the Bortuzzo/Engelland pair. Maybe Niskanen is the d that will be on the move
Hopefully not Niskanen for Cullen!! Cullen + Clutterbuck I would be happy though.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think Niskanen is still hurt. He looks a little slower than usual to me. I guess they think he's still healthy enough to play though.

I'm not really a fan of faulting D-Men (or any player) for goals without breaking down why they are happening and who is really at fault. The ES minutes to ES goals against ratio stat is alarming but I actually thought Niskanen played well the first 5 games before getting hurt. I seem to remember his D-Pair giving up a lot of goals because Letang struggled out of the gate and some forwards had some egregious turnovers that wound up in the back of the net too. I don't think Niskanen has played very well since returning from injury but like I said, I think he's still slowed by whatever injury he got.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Of the players that are UFA's this summer, who do you guys seeing us going for or having a chance of getting?

Old
02-25-2013, 07:23 AM
drizzydrew22*

free agency already...(alook ahead) 2013

who should walk
who should be resigned
who should try to be signed or traded for

post away jaggerz

Old
02-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Le Magnifique 66