HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa

Old
02-21-2013, 12:02 PM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
How many times does a guy take a head shot, seem ok, play a few games, then go back out?
It just goes to show they don't really understand head injuries all that well. No reason to race him back so quick at this point. CLB and SJ are the next two, keep him down just in case.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Yeah lets trust the player, and not the countless examples of players coming back too soon and getting injured again. No need to rush Hossa coming back.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Hawkaholic

No need to sit him if he's 100% healthy.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
No need to sit him if he's 100% healthy.
Nothing wrong with being cautious for a game if he's truly 100 percent, especially with the lead we have in the division.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM
moose vasko

With all of the points and lots of guys available we have a lot of options; a luxury we haven't had during either of the past 2 years. I know it won't happen, but if Hossa were to sit it might be nice to give Jimmy or Morin (both who seem to be playing well) a game with the big club and get Carbomb in. Say:

20/19/25
10/36/88
29/65/39
13/16/67

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Its time to see what Morin can do. Against a slow Sharks team tomorrow night, it might be a perfect chance for Morin to shine.

Edit: Hossa is playing tomorow. Hawks would've announced a call-up or two if he wasn't by now right?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

I'd be all for keeping Hossa out tomorrow regardless of how healthy he may seem to be. Absolutely nothing wrong with being cautious. (Potential) brain injuries are extremely hard to measure and catch in the short term - they may say he has no concussion (presumably judged by the cognitive tests), but those measure only a small fraction of current brain capability and health. Leave him out tomorrow. If there are no symptoms at all, no complications between then and Monday, then he should be good to go. But until then, no reason not to be cautious.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Its time to see what Morin can do. Against a slow Sharks team tomorrow night, it might be a perfect chance for Morin to shine.

Edit: Hossa is playing tomorow. Hawks would've announced a call-up or two if he wasn't by now right?
Not if Carcillo is in.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

I hope they sit him. That would be the right thing to do.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Hawkaholic

If Hossa is 100%, he wasn't hit in the head hard enough to have a concussion. But we should just sit him out to be cautious? Maybe we should have sat him out of the Vancouver game just to be cautious too, maybe sit him out against the next game we play against St. Louis to be cautious.

If's he's 100% healthy, he plays.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
But it's guess work with head injuries. We do know rest helps them though.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
If Hossa is 100%, he wasn't hit in the head hard enough to have a concussion. But we should just sit him out to be cautious? Maybe we should have sat him out of the Vancouver game just to be cautious too, maybe sit him out against the next game we play against St. Louis to be cautious.

He wasn't coming off anything worrisome or alarming. That's the difference. Just to be cautious to make sure he's good to go, you give him a game off and bring him back Sunday.

We can survive a game without Hossa. They did just fine without him scoring for that stretch before the last game where he only tickled the twine once in nine games.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:

Yikes dude its like i'm suggesting we sit him until the playoffs or something. He was laying on the ice and had to be helped off. Is it really that unreasonable to suggest sitting him for a game or two?

Hawks have a HUGE lead in the standings and tons of prospects that need ice time. We have the luxuries of space and talent to deal with this situation so why not use our assets?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
stuffradio

vCash: 983
I'm a Canucks fan, and I don't want to see players injured on any team, even Boston. We have a very heated rivalry here, and they usually produce exciting games. Even though you won, hopefully Hossa is ok.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
LandofLincoln

I went to the Blackhawks practice today. Seabrook, Hossa & Carcillo all participated not just in the skate but in active line drills. Hossa looked 100% to me. Carcillo & Seabrook also looked 100% as well. It was a good practice. Crawford had the best practice of all the players. His rebound control was great today. All the guys that were question marks for health reasons: Seabrook, Hossa, Crawford & Carcillo look ready to go.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
Hossa: "He surprised me with a punch from behind. I was shaky for a few minutes right after, that's why I didn't return." #Blackhawks

Hossa: "Felt not like myself for the first half hour." #Blackhawks

Hossa on Hansen's suspension: "At least something, cause we don't want to see guys hitting other guys in the head, especially from behind."

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
As I said, Hossa would know if he has lingering effects. He wouldn't be practicing if there was even a concern of a concussion.
Probably but all I understand about head injuries is that nobody, even the doctors, fully understand them.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
LandofLincoln

Trust me Hossa was 100% by the way he was moving today. When they first took the ice I thought he would just skate, but not run drills because drills are three on three fast break full ice drills. The drills are intense and just shy of a full contact drill. Everything is full speed. Hossa didn't miss a beat today.

There also were no call ups from Rockford. There was one prospect on the ice this morning. I thought it may have been Stephen Johns because of his size. The coach said nice job Russell but I don't know of this prospect. He was wearing #85 I'm assuming he was a late round pick just in the area and was allowed to skate with the team.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Very glad that Hoss is fine. Methinks him being taken out of the game entirely was the organization's way of being precarious, given his history.

Zero chance that they'd put him in for the next if they weren't 100% confidence he was fine.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Trust me Hossa was 100% by the way he was moving today. When they first took the ice I thought he would just skate, but not run drills because drills are three on three fast break full ice drills. The drills are intense and just shy of a full contact drill. Everything is full speed. Hossa didn't miss a beat today.

There also were no call ups from Rockford. There was one prospect on the ice this morning. I thought it may have been Stephen Johns because of his size. The coach said nice job Russell but I don't know of this prospect. He was wearing #85 I'm assuming he was a late round pick just in the area and was allowed to skate with the team.
85 is Olesz.

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

What is up with Oz. Still injured? Playing in Russia?

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Thanks for the report LandOfLincoln.

Hossa's already dealt with a major issue in this realm before. The recovery is miserable. It's reasonable to expect that he doesn't want to go through that again, and thus wouldn't risk skating (and presumably returning to action tomorrow) if he wasn't sure he was fine. So it's probably relatively safe to trust the player on this one.
Still, sometimes the injury is difficult to detect even for the person who has it. Hoping nothing bad comes out of this and everything can move on smoothly.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Carcillo skated with injured Blackhawks teammates Steve Montador and Rostislav Olesz on Tuesday at the United Center, coach Joel Quenneville said.

Link

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
85 is Olesz.

Great report. Thanks for sharing.
Holy cow I think you are right. I think it was Olesz. He was not in shape. They had him doing speed drills before practice. I actually thought he was a defenseman by watching his skills.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
LandofLincoln

I didn't notice Montador at the skate. Olesz was unrecognizable the only give away was the #85 helmet and the coach called him Russell. Rustalev = Russell

Montador may have been out there. There was one other player with no number skating and I did not identify him.