HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Comcast broadcasting crew thread

Old
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I'm sure she is a nice person off the air but on the air she comes off too stoic IMO. Sure she is business-like but there is a way of being business like and still portraying to the audience an actual personality like Clement shows. I know she has the gender thing she has to deal with but still she doesn't have to prove to the audience her "toughness" to hang with "the man" .
I like Lisa Hillary.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
I'd just say he's much quieter, more businesslike and less jocular than he portrays on TV.
I've met him in person and he seems very amiable. I can't see him surviving in the real world without a beat down if he actually was the way he was on TV...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I like Lisa Hillary.
Good for her....

Old
02-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
I'm sure she is a nice person off the air but on the air she comes off too stoic IMO. Sure she is business-like/professional but there is a way of being business like and still portraying to the audience an actual personality like Clement shows. I know she has the gender thing she has to deal with but still she doesn't have to prove to the audience her "toughness" to hang with "the man." Having said this she does seem sharp and is an attractive woman no doubt. I think Amy Fadool portrays herself well in limited stints...not sure how she handles herself off the air...but I don't care.
I don't know Amy apart from her on-air work. Have never spoken with her. I do talk with both Lisa Hillary and John Boruk at the SkateZone, and both are very professional.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I don't know Amy apart from her on-air work. Have never spoken with her. I do talk with both Lisa Hillary and John Boruk at the SkateZone, and both are very professional.
I also think she is professional but sometimes you have to tone it down for your audience. She just comes off guarded to me on TV. In person I'm sure she is very respectable and professional and has integrity...that is not the issue. It's how she plays to the audience..for some she is fine.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
PAZUZU

Quote:
I'd just say he's much quieter, more businesslike and less jocular than he portrays on TV.
i would agree with this. my mom and coatsey's wife are cousins. i had a good chat with him at my grandfather's funeral a few summers ago, he's definitely not as animated as he is on tv.

PAZUZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM
El Emperor

A little off topic, but I'm listening to WIP (yeah, I know). Gargano thinks nothing but great things about Mike Emrick. Are we fans just looking for the bias or something? I know that Macnow (not in today) in the past has said good things about Emrick too.

I mean, it seemed like broadcast was Pens first the entire game. Massive excitement when Pens score, but only initial excitement when Flyers score, but fades fast. Not to mention the ego stroking of the Pens' stars.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
A little off topic, but I'm listening to WIP (yeah, I know). Gargano thinks nothing but great things about Mike Emrick. Are we fans just looking for the bias or something? I know that Macnow (not in today) in the past has said good things about Emrick too.

I mean, it seemed like broadcast was Pens first the entire game. Massive excitement when Pens score, but only initial excitement when Flyers score, but fades fast. Not to mention the ego stroking of the Pens' stars.
I'm not a fan of Emrick's but it isn't as much to do with any perceived bias, just his voice and over-excitement from relatively mundane plays to great plays.

"HITS THE POST WITH THE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not a fan of Emrick's but it isn't as much to do with any perceived bias, just his voice and over-excitement from relatively mundane plays to great plays.

"HITS THE POST WITH THE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Does he still say "HAMMERS ONE!!!!"

Old
02-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Ryker

No, now it's "knives one" And in his excited cries, Emrick always sounds like he gave it all he had, and that there's nothing a second left before he runs out of his breath.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Does he still say "HAMMERS ONE!!!!"
Yes. And "DRRRRIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Ryker

Emrick and McGuirre are like Burns and Smithers. McGuirre is always sucking up to him. Last night, when we were up 4 - 2, Emrick said Pittsburgh is only a goal from halving the lead or something like that and when they actually did that in the next minute or so, McGuirre was of course quick to contribute with "that was so prescient of you"

One thing that I did like about McGuirre last night, though, was how he exposed the Pens' tactic of trying to attack from behind our net by asking Bylsma about it, and Bylsma then trying to derail the topic and coming up with some other general statement about Bryz.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:16 PM
kicksave27

I miss Gary Thorne & Bill Clement. They were a great pair. I enjoy when clement does color now over jonesy.

I do think that saunders is a better color guy than JJ, but JJ is still pretty good.

Bundy can get away with speaking his mind more on radio, not sure if he could go on his crosby rants doing TV.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Ever seen Coatsey in person? Its kinda sad. Hes pretty old and decrepit. Not sure how he looks so lively on TV.
cocaine's a hell of a drug

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
poneill27

Whats good about Hillary is that when she is there, with all the guys, they focus on the team and whatever topic they are talking about. When its just the guys they try to 1 up each other with the funny one liners.(that aren't funny) Its so annoying! That is why I love when she is on.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Whats good about Hillary is that when she is there, with all the guys, they focus on the team and whatever topic they are talking about. When its just the guys they try to 1 up each other with the funny one liners.(that aren't funny) Its so annoying! That is why I love when she is on.
This is valid. I will have to keep my eye out for it. She does break up the fraternity and keeps things more direct but you can still do so with a bit of personality. I think Clement is a good example like I noted above. She is by no means incompetent just not the best TV personality IMO...a bit too serious for my taste. She is the antithesis of Coatsey who is a complete clown...

Old
02-21-2013, 02:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Not sure why I didn't notice it...I do recall drive but can't recall Hammers one which he seemed to use a lot when he was with the Flyers...

Old
02-21-2013, 02:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I miss Gary Thorne & Bill Clement. They were a great pair. I enjoy when clement does color now over jonesy.

I do think that saunders is a better color guy than JJ, but JJ is still pretty good.

Bundy can get away with speaking his mind more on radio, not sure if he could go on his crosby rants doing TV.
Thorne and Clement were good.....Jiggs McDonald for the Isles cracked me up. I really hate Sam Rosen from the Rangers for some reason...I guess b/c he works for the Rangers.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post

Gargano and Macnow might know him personally. He seems like a nice guy, and he does know a lot about the game. That probably has something to do with it, along with the fact that he's been doing it for a long time.

I also thought the same thing about the him with the Pens favoritism in the past, but I think I figured out that he favors the home team. I don't know if he thinks he needs to be louder to be heard over the cheers, or if its just something he does, but it seems like he gets more excited for the home teams.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Idk. Could be stuck with those clowns in Boston or Pittsburgh...

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Norm MacDonald

I love Jackson's subtle, passive aggressive homerism.

"Giroux taken down!.... and NO CALL! "

"Crosby goes down and they're going to call it! Boy, they're really calling this one tight, which is fine... but you hope they be consistent throughout the game. Credit to Crosby, he did a good job selling it."

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Haha yeah, Jackson loves to say "...and NO CALL on the play!!! Wow!!"

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Haha yeah, Jackson loves to say "...and NO CALL on the play!!! Wow!!"
"They say it's onside..."

I like JJ a lot, think he calls a great game.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
That is fantastic.