Guys? Apparently we host the Kings tonight - 8:00mt on TSN

Old
02-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
McElhinney was older than Irving when he amde his debut and got his opportunity.
In what world does older mean ready? Especially when discussing goalies?

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:38 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
My point is top end forwards are harder to find then top end goalies in the later rounds.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Please get Barkov/Monahan....it's obvious we need someone that can win faceoffs. Can't do anything without it in Hartley's puck possession system

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

@ Abbotsford Heat, yes everyone is at home and healthy, thanks a lot for asking! What an awesome experience and lifestyle change.

I don't know what the issue with this team is. I think a lack of size and good centerman are among the obvious. I actually don't think were all that far off, I think getting a big bodied, skilled center that can win a FO would be huge. And I would love to get one nasty winger with size that likes to stir things up, that would be huge for our team.

I'm really hoping that the Flames draft Monahan. He is exactly what we need to build our franchise around. I also hope we go out and get ROR. If Gio isn't enough, I would give them Reinhart to complete the deal. That would give us Monahan, ROR, and Backlund as our centers with Jankow in the pipe. Our center issue needs to be addressed right away.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:27 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Beneir hasn't proven to be a starter goalie and is on a very defensive team and you want him to be the center piece in maybe our best trading chip? That seems like a huge waste of assets. We could very easily develop our own goalie or trade for one much cheaper than Gio.
Half of the Kings starting defenseman are out of the lineup. Muzzin, Ellerby and Drewiske are 7th/8th defenseman on most NHL teams. Plus Voynov is struggling defensively.

Despite that, Bernier is is 3-0-0 in his 3 starts, with a 1.00GAA, and a .952 SV%

The only reason his overall stats aren't better is because of a random flukey game in Anaheim where he came in relief of Quick.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:44 AM
goodsauce

About goaltender development, we have all the pieces we need. It is exactly like Edmonton a couple years ago. They were a sub-par team (let's face it, the Flames need work), and they gave Khabibulin the reigns, but also ran with Dubnyk and slowly developed him at the NHL level. There is something to be said about acclimatizing a player to the building, the city, and the big club's ways. Now, Dubnyk could arguably be the Oilers #1 (I believe they are still going with Habby/Dubbie split?) I think that Irving could be as good, if not better than Dubnyk and that if we gave Kipper less and Irving more, Irving will not be a bust and actually turn out into the goalie we saw him turning into when we drafted him in the first round.

Anyone agree/disagree? I would like feedback as I JUST thought of this.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM
tfong

Heard on fan960 we won only 35 percent of draws last night with stags being the weakest at 29 lol.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:16 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

What stood out to me the most last night was the lack of retaliation when MacDonald got ran over. Not only does this team suck but they're pansies as well. Softest team in the league. We are the team other teams look forward to playing, especially at the Dome. How depressing.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:29 AM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
What stood out to me the most last night was the lack of retaliation when MacDonald got ran over. Not only does this team suck but they're pansies as well. Softest team in the league. We are the team other teams look forward to playing, especially at the Dome. How depressing.
Hartley brought that up too. Disappointed that there was 'no consequence' for running Mac over.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Zoombie

Quote:
We have become far too easy of a team to play against. Its a bad sign when a lot of teams toss their backup goalies in when they come to town, to give their starters a break.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:08 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
About goaltender development, we have all the pieces we need. It is exactly like Edmonton a couple years ago. They were a sub-par team (let's face it, the Flames need work), and they gave Khabibulin the reigns, but also ran with Dubnyk and slowly developed him at the NHL level. There is something to be said about acclimatizing a player to the building, the city, and the big club's ways. Now, Dubnyk could arguably be the Oilers #1 (I believe they are still going with Habby/Dubbie split?) I think that Irving could be as good, if not better than Dubnyk and that if we gave Kipper less and Irving more, Irving will not be a bust and actually turn out into the goalie we saw him turning into when we drafted him in the first round.

I agree with you. If Irving is eased into a tandem situation, I think he still has lots of room for development and will end up being quite good.

Quote:
This, wow I could not believe how this team just skated away like nothing happened. If I was MacDonald I would of been absolutely choked that no one stuck up for me, I am sure he took it in stride but wow.

It really is a great metaphor for this team. It is one thing to be soft, and another entirely to just not give a **** about your team mates.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Perro

Quote:
As a kings fan I agree. I was sitting right behind that net and could not belive it. Also when Brown laid out Wideman it was fairly excessive. I was looking to see if someone like Jackman would be put out against brown to retaliate....nothing.

Glencross had some good physical play but CGY needs a couple of true grit guys.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Please get Barkov/Monahan....it's obvious we need someone that can win faceoffs. Can't do anything without it in Hartley's puck possession system
Not giving the puck away in crucial situations would help too.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

JMac just got here and probably doesn't want to stir things up, but he should of called out his teammates like Miller did last year, what a joke. SR is right on the money.

I hope Hartley's post game comment sits with the players and makes them think. What the hell is going on with Iggy, he should be the one leading this group and making them a tough team to play against by leading his troops into battle. This is a skilled team, but hockey is a collision sport and these guys have played it their whole lives. If they can't play as men, why bother showing up to the rink.

We have guys like Iggy, Glencross, Comeau, Gio and Sarich. These guys need to hit and be physical and set the tone.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
JMac just got here and probably doesn't want to stir things up, but he should of called out his teammates like Miller did last year, what a joke. SR is right on the money.

I hope Hartley's post game comment sits with the players and makes them think. What the hell is going on with Iggy, he should be the one leading this group and making them a tough team to play against by leading his troops into battle. This is a skilled team, but hockey is a collision sport and these guys have played it their whole lives. If they can't play as men, why bother showing up to the rink.

We have guys like Iggy, Glencross, Comeau, Gio and Sarich. These guys need to hit and be physical and set the tone.
To his credit, Comeau (along with Jackman) have been one of the few Flames consistently throwing hits. I've tossing the idea around of moving Gio in favour of acquiring a shut down defenceman.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post

I couldn't disagree more on your comment about us having all the pieces we need, re: goaltending. Outside of Kiprusoff, we have NOTHING. Maybe Ramo, I don't know. I'm curious to see what we have in him because right now IMO he's our only hope in a post-Kiprusoff scenario. I'm not sold on Irving. I don't think he will ever be a starting goaltender in this league. He's not good enough.

re: Dubnyk - If we're setting the bar at Dubnyk, we're in bigger trouble than I thought. Just because he's the Oilers' #1 goalie, doesn't mean he's good. I would hope we can do better than Dubnyk, who IMO isn't a #1 goaltender.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

This team is just depressing to watch.

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
I am glad I went to bed after the first. Hopefully this team will be worth staying up until 2am to watch next year.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
I am glad I went to bed after the first. Hopefully this team will be worth staying up until 2am to watch next year.
With Barkov, MacKinnon, Lindholm or Monahan I hope it will be!

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
With Barkov, MacKinnon, Lindholm or Monahan I hope it will be!
We will trade down and pick someone 5 years out. Stop getting your hopes up.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote