HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
FinProspects

vCash: 500
Barkov´s speed will never be an issue. Never. He has good wheels for a player of his size and age. He is strong and very well balanced skater. Some players just dont need explosive speed in order to succeed. Look at Thornton for instance. Even though Barkov does not have his incredible vision/offensive tools, I think he is a good comparison style-wise.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:56 PM
PhillyPhinn

0+1 tonight...

Old
02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
0+1 tonight...
Primary assist on the game-winner as usual...

Old
02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
JJTT

0+1 +2 almost 20 minutes of icetime

Old
02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
thomast

Barkov was quite invisible in today's game. He rescued the team couple times by saving and blocking shots from certain scoring chances. Assisted game winning goal when there was 2minutes of game left. That was important FEL game and Tappara won Kärpät 3-2. But in overall he was quiet offensively despite having an important assist. Very solid defensive and overall game as usual.

47GP 20G+44A=44pts. There is 7 games left for his team. Can he break up 50 points? It would be phenomenal. I expected him to put up 30-40 points this season but 50 points is extraordinary. It would be breaking FEL draft eligible record by almost 10 points and we have to remember that this season at FEL was mostly played with NHL-lockout players.

Last edited by thomast: 02-21-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 02:35 AM
thomast

Is Barkov currently the best two-way player of the FEL? He is sitting at 6th place in goal scoring, 8th in points and 3rd +/- just 2 behind the leader despite missing games because of WJC?

Last year as an 16 year old he was only + player who played majority of the season with the team with +5 when rest of the team averaged about -10. That team was -56 last year.

It's hard to judge an stat like +/- but it is no coincident that Barkov leads the team twice in that category. When most of the people think Barkov as an player he is an elite offensive talent with alot of tools and how he is going to help the offense but forget his defensive tools and little things he does like some of those things that Jussi mentioned. That is major help for the defense aswell. Barkov is very high-end defensive player aswell. He is one of those players who does everything right and is spotless in defensive zone.

I would like create an debate about his NHL-readiness. IMO he will be NHL-ready by next october because he is too valuable player in the defensive zone especially at PK to not have in the team. Not sure about his offensive impact on his first year but i'd see him doing fine just because of his ability to score goals near the goal and from rebounds is impressive and that will work in NHL aswell for sure. His playmaking is already pro ready. Not much flash but simple effective passes with excellent quality but is capable of doing very high end passes aswell. Because of his already ready offensive game i'd see him have some success in the offense aswell. Crazy to think that he has just turned 18 when training camps start in the NHL.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Barkov is the best 2-way player in FEL. There's no question about it. I think his defensive skills are better than his offensive skills. Definitely a future selke-candidate, especially if his offense translates to enough points. Many people are wondering if he's got what it takes offensively, but im sure he'll be 2nd line caliber in that aspect. Not the same type of player, but his value in NHL will be similar to Patrice Bergeron IMO.

I dont know if he is ready for NHL next season but i hope he stays in FEL to improve his speed and strenght. Then when he goes overseas he's ready to be an effective #3 defensive center and climb his way up from there.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Barkov is the best 2-way player in FEL. There's no question about it. I think his defensive skills are better than his offensive skills. Definitely a future selke-candidate, especially if his offense translates to enough points. Many people are wondering if he's got what it takes offensively, but im sure he'll be 2nd line caliber in that aspect. Not the same type of player, but his value in NHL will be similar to Patrice Bergeron IMO.
I agree. His defensive awareness is something that really stands out in his game, even more so than his offensive output, which is pretty remarkable considering he is almost a PPG player in the FEL.

EDIT: If they awarded a Selke-type trophy for the best defensive forward in SM-liiga I think Barkov would be a very strong candidate to win it.

Last edited by Jeepers Creeper: 02-22-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Oan

If a team like Columbus gets him, and he has a strong showing in the pre-season camp & games, he could easily get 2nd line center role from there next season, I believe. Although I don't know exactly the center situation in Columbus though.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Barkov is the embodiment of 2-way player. I am just not sure he will be much of an offensive player at the next level.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Oan

One thing is sure though, he will win the Raimo Kilpiö -award (Lady Byng equivalent), only 6 penalty minutes so far all season.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:48 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post

I dont know if he is ready for NHL next season but i hope he stays in FEL to improve his speed and strenght. Then when he goes overseas he's ready to be an effective #3 defensive center and climb his way up from there.
We share differend views about his offensive upside. He isn't very flashy player but he does things very effectively in the offensive zone. He has quite bit better potential in hockeyIQ, vision, hands, reach and strength than Mikko Koivu had for example. People are wondering if his offensive game will translate in to NHL? He scores most of his goals around the net or sniping it in like clear majority of NHL goals are scored that will translate for sure. His playmaking is simple but effective with quick decision with the puck, the quality of the passes are excellent. Barkov does alot of 1 touch passes to the scoring areas he is that kind of player who seem to have eyes on his back at times. I have no worries that Barkov has no problems to adjust his offensive game in smaller rink. He looked very good for 16 year old at WJC in alberta. IMO 16 year Barkov with limited role looked better than 17 year old MacKinnon with limited role. Other thing is his consistency. Barkov doesen't have many games without points this year. Barkov is very consistent player offensively. Might be most consistent player in FEL this year in offensive production.

To me he has potential to be much better than he already is. His legs are still getting used to his huge frame even though it have been much better but he can be good to excellent skater when his legs get little bit more strength, his body haven't matured yet despite being 6'3 and 210ish. Ville Nieminen stated that this guy has only scratched the surface of his physical potential. When considering that he is too strong for fully matured and experienced FEL defenders at age of 17 not sure how strong he can be once he hits his full physical maturity sky is the limit.

My prediction that Barkov might not be the player who competes for hart trophy. But with his offensive tools, constitency, Physical tools, simple and effective game with clever and quick decisions i could see him being 70-90point and 30-40 goal player (depending on his linemates) for very long time of his career with elite defensive game. He has alot of hidden potential in him, if he can add another gear and explosiveness in him then he can be superstar offensively. That is just what i see his potential. At worst i think Barkov is 50-60point player with elite defensive game like Jordan Staal. Barkov is just 17 year old destroying all the point and goal records in FEL. Already #1C of his team and one of the best players in entire league. Noway his offensive potential is as low as average 2nd line player. I think that it is close to his floor.

My main point is that every league has the style of game. Some players might have problems to adapt in that game. Barkov plays the offensive game which will work in every league. The smaller space and less time will highlight his strengths which are quick smooth hands in the traffic, strength, quick decisions with the puck, quick release in his heavy shot and quality of his passes. Barkov is best at crowded areas like near the goal hitting rebounds in or giving quick 1 touch passes and those areas are crucial scoring areas in the NHL and Barkov is at home in these areas. His linemates will have impact on his career numbers but induvidually his developement of skating will pretty much tell about his offensive upside. He is still 17 year old with big frame so there is alot of room to grow but if his developement would stop right now then i would maybe agree with you but if you look at his skating last year compare and watch him now there is huge difference. If he has similar developement at next summer then we can talk about pretty good skater. He is 17 and there is room to grow in everything.

Last edited by thomast: 02-22-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
I agree. His defensive awareness is something that really stands out in his game, even more so than his offensive output, which is pretty remarkable considering he is almost a PPG player in the FEL.

EDIT: If they awarded a Selke-type trophy for the best defensive forward in SM-liiga I think Barkov would be a very strong candidate to win it.
I think people tend to underrate his offense because he's not flashy like Armia for example. He gets things done in both ends of the ice. He may not be the most visible player on the ice, but surprisingly you can usually find him on the scoresheet in most games. When you look at the highlights you can see it's not a coincidence. He's not going to be the best goal scorer in the NHL, because he's not a sniper, but his goal-scoring potential is at least average NHL 1st line C caliber. The rest of his tools are better than that. Mikko Koivu seems to have no idea where he's shooting most of the time, but Barkov's calmer and has a natural knack for figuring out where he should aim his shot. And this is coming from someone who really likes M. Koivu.

There are a lot of purely offensive centers in SM-liiga (like Filppula) who are offensive dynamos but when it comes to defense, they pale in comparison to Barkov. Barkov hasn't put up as many points as Filppula, but the difference isn't very big and Barkov's much stronger defensively.

I don't think they can give him rookie of the year anymore, because he played too many games last season, but I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't give him some kind of an award after his great season. Could be the equivalent of Lady Byng.

I guess he could play in the NHL next season, I'm thinking 3rd line C would be an ideal spot for him. No sense in playing him as a winger, he's a full-blooded center. But I think he's a bit too young and doesn't he still have at least one year of school left? So I think he should stay in Finland for at least one more year.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
thomast

To me he has chance to win league MVP if he hits 50+points. He is production(PPG) wise nearly as equal with top scorers but bring much more other things on the table. Barkov pretty much competing top places in every category. Players will vote the league MVP but i wouldn't be suprised if it was Barkov. There is no better player in this league as Barkov. Haataja might be early favourite but he haven't been lighting out after impressive start of the season. It will be interesting for sure.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Gaps

Well, he did place 2nd when the coaches were polled for MVP at the half-season mark, right? I think it's going to be Haataja or Filppula, though.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:33 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I think people tend to underrate his offense because he's not flashy like Armia for example. He gets things done in both ends of the ice. He may not be the most visible player on the ice, but surprisingly you can usually find him on the scoresheet in most games. When you look at the highlights you can see it's not a coincidence. He's not going to be the best goal scorer in the NHL, because he's not a sniper, but his goal-scoring potential is at least average NHL 1st line C caliber. The rest of his tools are better than that. Mikko Koivu seems to have no idea where he's shooting most of the time, but Barkov's calmer and has a natural knack for figuring out where he should aim his shot. And this is coming from someone who really likes M. Koivu.

There are a lot of purely offensive centers in SM-liiga (like Filppula) who are offensive dynamos but when it comes to defense, they pale in comparison to Barkov. Barkov hasn't put up as many points as Filppula, but the difference isn't very big and Barkov's much stronger defensively.

I don't think they can give him rookie of the year anymore, because he played too many games last season, but I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't give him some kind of an award after his great season. Could be the equivalent of Lady Byng.

I guess he could play in the NHL next season, I'm thinking 3rd line C would be an ideal spot for him. No sense in playing him as a winger, he's a full-blooded center. But I think he's a bit too young and doesn't he still have at least one year of school left? So I think he should stay in Finland for at least one more year.
Age is just numbers. Barkov is very mature mentally and physically. No matter how old you are if you're good enough. NHL teams want best possible team and Barkov is valuable player in any situation. Barkov have played 2 seasons with men already there is no point to play in FEL anymore. Barkov is an full time hockey player if i remember correctly. He doesen't go school anymore.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Age is just numbers. Barkov is very mature mentally and physically. No matter how old you are if you're good enough. NHL teams want best possible team and Barkov is valuable player in any situation. Barkov have played 2 seasons with men already there is no point to play in FEL anymore. Barkov is an full time hockey player if i remember correctly. He doesen't go school anymore.
I think I read at the start of the season that he goes to kauppis in Tampere. If that's true, it's unlikely that he's graduating this spring.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:59 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I think I read at the start of the season that he goes to kauppis in Tampere. If that's true, it's unlikely that he's graduating this spring.
http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/show....php?p=4237886

First post in that link. I've seen interview where he says that he doesen't go school anymore.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
I've seen interview where he says that he doesen't go school anymore.
So have I, but I've also read that he does attend a vocational school. However, the latter was just a forum post, so I don't know about that. I guess one could ask about it from him on Twitter or something.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Fredde
Rookie User

Do you guys think that Barkov's gonna play in the WC this spring?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredde View Post
Do you guys think that Barkov's gonna play in the WC this spring?
Depends how many nhl guys will play. He's currently 7-8th in the center depth chart behind M.Koivu,Granlund,V.Fillpula,S.Koivu,I.Filppula, Lehterä,Nokelainen, Immonen,Kapanen

He has a change but not a very good one

Old
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Depends how many nhl guys will play. He's currently 7-8th in the center depth chart behind M.Koivu,Granlund,V.Fillpula,S.Koivu,I.Filppula, Lehterä,Nokelainen, Immonen,Kapanen

He has a change but not a very good one
Granlund will be most likely a winger. We have good depth in centre so no need to play him at center. Hes more usefull as winger. Valtteri Filppula plays most likely wing to Mikko Koivu if they both come. S. Koivu won't come as he didn't last year despite it was on our soil(full host). Nokelainen haven't played a game this year and i still pick Barkov over him. Immonen is an option but he was very weak at last WC and haven't played single EHT game and Ilari filppula was weak at EHT and he's been weak in FEL lately. He is usefull only in top 2 C role we have those spots crowded.

My center depth in top 2 lines:
Mikko Koivu
Valtteri Filppula(If mikko doesen't play)
Jori Lehterä
Petri Kontiola
Jarkko Immonen
Ilari Filppula

Bottom 2 C:
Niko Kapanen
Aleksander Barkov
Jarkko Immonen

NHL will end just before when WC's start because of lockout. I don't see many NHL players coming for european teams except for those who competes for olympic roster spot.

With NHL players i could see it going:

Mikko Koivu
Jori Lehterä
Jarkko Immonen/Aleksander Barkov
Niko Kapanen

Without Filppula and Mikko Koivu

Jori Lehterä
Petri Kontiola/Jarkko Immonen
Aleksander Barkov/Jarkko Immonen
Niko Kapanen

Barkov might not be the strongest candidate to this team if we look at Jukka Jalonen previous teams but Jari Kurri himself stated that Barkov is high on their lists and he is strong candidate. Even though there is big possibility that he won't make it but i wouldn't take his name out. Strong playoffs and FEL championship and he'll be likely option.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Gaps

Without NHL players, the centers will most likely be Lehterä, Immonen, Kontiola and Kapanen (assuming he doesn't retire). Barkov could have a chance of being taken along as an extra center, but that's it.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
nonoob12

After last swedens eht i think JP Hytönen maybe strong candidate to 2-3rd line center for team finland too becouse his line with Osala and Aaltonen was best of finland in that tournament they made 7 points in 3 games
so if Barkov wants to get in WC team he has to play even better than now in playoffs its really touch competition of centers even without NHL players.

if Tappara loses in first round barkov has chance to go in camp with national team and play about 6-9 practice games 2 against norway,denmark,and swiss + cze EHT 3 games and that would be easiest way to get place at the team.
but tappara is good team and i think hat they go far in playoffs so he as to show his skills in sm liiga and not front of NT team staff in practice games + quality of finnish center pool
(heres my personal top7 for the WC without NHL players)

1.Lehterä this guy is just played so good in KHL that you cant left him out of the team

2.Kontiola last year started as our 4th line center but end of the wc he was our 2nd line center hes great twoway center nowadays hes on the WC team for sure

3.Hytönen has been decent in KHL and good national team + jalonen likes those palyers who get that extra power when they play in NT

4.Barkov m.koivu was finlands 4th center in his first mens tournament in 2004 World Cup barkov can play at same kinda defensive center and PK role this year no doubt and he jump in bigger top 2 role if our centers are not playing good.

5.Niko Kapanen he has possible retired for national team but he can take barkovs place if desides to join the team but let see what hapens.

6.Ilari Filppula if somebody from top 2 gets injured he can replace him but he needs PP time to help the team at defensive role hes useless was decent in his last 3 NT games 3 assist in three games

7.Immonen was horrible last year so i dont think jalonen takes him this year when he has not played much better KHL this year either and has not been in NT this year and Kazan probably goes far in KHL playoffs too so...

and Jalonens posible joker card Miika Lahti can take 4th line role away from barkov too he has been good in his role all national team games this season this guy can be Barkovs biggest challenger but only jalonen knows that

Old
02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Auzzie19

Can't wait to see this guy in the worlds. Gonna make a push for #1 overall. Just a complete player, physically and in his play.

IMO:

1. MacKinnon
2. Drouin
3. Barkov
4. Jones
5. Lindholm

Closed Thread