HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howson Re-Surfaces in Edmonton

Old
02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Howson Re-Surfaces in Edmonton

Bob Stauffer just mentioned that Brian Burke has returned to Anaheim as a pro-scout and that Scott Howson is set to resurface in a similar role. Is it safe to assume that he would be returning to Edmonton?

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:32 PM
doubledown99

I would think so. We were the team that popped in my head when I heard Bob indicate that.

I say good move....

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yeah might as well, this management team needs as many failing parts as it can get.

I hope they put in a call to Milbury and MacLean as well.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:36 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105

If Howson returned there could be no doubt, that this franchise is just bloody miserable.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
He'll be named Jr. Vice President of Hockey Operations.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
doubledown99

So Howson failed in CLB - big deal. When he left here he was considered a bright guy. So things didn't work out in CLB and he is an idiot?

Personally I think his failure tere will be a great learning experience. He also brings detailed knowledge of CLB which might be useful. He also is familiar with the league which might be beneficial in potential trades

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Well don't they still need to fill the assistant to the Sr. VP position?

If he comes back I assume he'll be the contingency plan to take Tambo's job over if there isn't "well perceived" improvement made this year.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
well we need a new mod around here

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

I have no problem with him. He's a smart guy who made a couple bad moves trying to improve the team in a bad market

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

As long as we bring him back in the right capacity I don't have a problem. I don't think Howson should be our next GM, but he was valuable to us in the past and after his time in CBJ I'm sure he would be glad to come back to Edmonton.

He should have traded us Ryan Murray for Whitney before they canned him.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Bob Stauffer just mentioned that Brian Burke has returned to Anaheim as a pro-scout and that Scott Howson is set to resurface in a similar role. Is it safe to assume that he would be returning to Edmonton?
Is there any other team that would want him?

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
They should make him the assistant to the traveling secretary. George Costanza's old job!

Old
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
They should make him the assistant to the traveling secretary. George Costanza's old job!
...and the majority of that job includes that Katz kid gets up and gets dressed in the morning and seeing to it that he gets his perm appointments in a timely fashion.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
If he's coming back as a pro scout, that's ok. If he's coming in as another member of the 200 voice committee that is our management, no thanks.

VP of Player Trades With Teams That Have the Letter C or L.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
So Howson failed in CLB - big deal. When he left here he was considered a bright guy. So things didn't work out in CLB and he is an idiot?

Personally I think his failure tere will be a great learning experience. He also brings detailed knowledge of CLB which might be useful. He also is familiar with the league which might be beneficial in potential trades
I had to stop and ask myself or what benefit this could possibly be. This would be like our Military intelligence raiding Kazahkstan for help with new weapons of world peace...

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post

you're right. that detailed knowledge of the jackets can be useful.
Tambo can make a list of things he does as a GM and howson can also make one. if any two things on the lists match, they Oilers quit doing them.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Mr Sakich

i read somewhere that the Oilers had 6 employees gathering and analyzing advanced stats. None of these guys will make a trade but they provide information that is useful to the guys who have to make decisions.

IMO, Howson is a smart guy who was in an impossible situation. The CLB organization is in much better condition now that it was when he got there. If he can add more analysis to the decision making group, then I am all for it.

The old days of 1 guy like Burke running the show are over. This is big business now and owners demand modern business practices.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Asher

IIRC, Howson is a lawyer, and the job he used to do was filled by Rick Olczyk. If they need another lawyer, I guess bringing Howson in is okay, but I don't see what he can provide on the hockey side of things. He did very little that was positive on that front in CBus.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Al Cappuccino
Craig's on it

if Howson resurfaces here, I may just stop caring about this team

Al Cappuccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

tried to be funny--now I will be serious. Problem is the oilers have to no many old time thinkers and guys that are from previous administration. Tambo was supposed to be fresh blood, but we have found out that he is stagnant water and it needs to be flushed.

Of the 15 GMs in the west conference, only 6 played in the NHL--the rest are from the new school of thought. In the East you have 9 out of 15, however, a stat to note is that of the 9 who played in the NHL4 of them went to Uni after playing and either have degrees in business or law.

We need more new age thinkers then old school boys club thinkers--they are going the way of the Atlanta Thrashers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
you're right. that detailed knowledge of the jackets can be useful.
Tambo can make a list of things he does as a GM and howson can also make one. if any two things on the lists match, they Oilers quit doing them.
What? Not without inviting Klowe to their lil party.

Then they would be sure what fail looks like. Because you know, sometimes its hard to know what fail is until theres enough experience with fail then you understand what losing culture is and how to shout "NO MORE LOSING CULTURE NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" emphatically just to prevent losing ever occurring again. Just banish losing, banish that ****.

But its possible we need more detailed research and study on losing so who knows. Maybe Howson adds to the expertise.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:18 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
the gang's all here!

I wouldn't mind him back, he is a smart man but I'm not sure more "hockey minds" equals better

it's a "meh" move for me

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:18 PM
caley

Howson's been considered a bright guy for a while. Even Columbus beat writers like Aaron Portzline have good things to say about him. One poster on the CBJ boards had the analogy that the Columbus franchise is like a garden and Doug MacLean dug up all the plants and salted the Earth, Howson came in and cleaned it up and re-seeded it but just couldn't get all the plants to grow. Everyone (who's thinking rationally) agrees that Columbus is in much better shape after Howson than it was before he left.

So, to reject him ending up in Edmonton because "Har, har, Columbus sucks" is short-sighted and silly.

02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
i read somewhere that the Oilers had 6 employees gathering and analyzing advanced stats. None of these guys will make a trade but they provide information that is useful to the guys who have to make decisions.

IMO, Howson is a smart guy who was in an impossible situation. The CLB organization is in much better condition now that it was when he got there. If he can add more analysis to the decision making group, then I am all for it.

The old days of 1 guy like Burke running the show are over. This is big business now and owners demand modern business practices.
This is so funny its sad. "hockeyball" I wonder if mudcrutch auditioned.

Or Staples and his "error" stat.

I wonder if deepblue is fired up and calculating how to turn Belanger into Pavel Datsyuk.

Or figuring out how many results are unsustainable.

maybe lets tabulate the Tamblowe regime.

Sustainable?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Howson's been considered a bright guy for a while. Even Columbus beat writers like Aaron Portzline have good things to say about him. One poster on the CBJ boards had the analogy that the Columbus franchise is like a garden and Doug MacLean dug up all the plants and salted the Earth, Howson came in and cleaned it up and re-seeded it but just couldn't get all the plants to grow. Everyone (who's thinking rationally) agrees that Columbus is in much better shape after Howson than it was before he left.

So, to reject him ending up in Edmonton because "Har, har, Columbus sucks" is short-sighted and silly.
Ones own though defined as secularly rational. Where have I seen that before?

Columbus has hockey beat writers? One poster?

Heres an analogy: catbox.