Notices

Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
I don't see the harm in having him play minutes that don't demand much of him while he continues to adjust. He still plays on the #2 PP.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's just Sheppard all over again. Stick your top prospect on the fourth line with a couple grinders and have him learn to grind. I'm just not sure how trying to turn him into Zach Parise #2 is going to work.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Tuomaz

Luckily Granlund is much wiser than Shep to put it nicely. He knows what he needs to do.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:20 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Those who has seen Granlund play a few years now know that he isn't playing the same way he was reckognized with. He isn't using his strengths and it's showing. Last couple of games he has looked like he was trying stuff he used to do (notice: he hasn't been at his best since last year's spring).

You read/hear lots of talk about his hockey vision but the main thing about his play was that he was fearless and shameless to do "pondhockey tricks". He has got to play with his strengths or he will be a lot less useful.

As what comes to him playing in Houston, I don't see it as a better option than 4th line minutes. I think he needs to take it slow and gain confidence in the big league - even if it's low number minutes - rather than try to force himself with Aeros. It is a totally different league, even more straightforward than the NHL and . He has got to adapt but more over he has got to find his game again and start doing things he is known of.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Those who has seen Granlund play a few years now know that he isn't playing the same way he was reckognized with. He isn't using his strengths and it's showing. Last couple of games he has looked like he was trying stuff he used to do (notice: he hasn't been at his best since last year's spring).

You read/hear lots of talk about his hockey vision but the main thing about his play was that he was fearless and shameless to do "pondhockey tricks". He has got to play with his strengths or he will be a lot less useful.
Sorry, but no. "Fearlessly and shamelessly doing "pondhockey tricks"" will absolutely not work in any way shape or form in the NHL for someone with average speed and below average size.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Sorry, but no. "Fearlessly and shamelessly doing "pondhockey tricks"" will absolutely not work in any way shape or form in the NHL for someone with average speed and below average size.
He's just a normal player with good vision and passing. I don't know what the other guy is talking about at all.. the only pond hockey tricks he does are in the shootout or that lacrosse goal

Old
02-21-2013, 11:49 AM
TZM
Par too easy

What I mean with "pondhockey tricks" are the creative plays (Datsyuk like plays) not lacrosses and shootout dekes. I understand hockey vision as overall awareness of where players are and where the puck should go.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:58 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
What I mean with "pondhockey tricks" are the creative plays (Datsyuk like plays) not lacrosses and shootout dekes. I understand hockey vision as overall awareness of where players are and where the puck should go.
understanding your linemates will do forward and chase the puck, then do the hassle.. I believe last time he was playing such a brainless unintelligent game was somewhere in 90's

dump & chase, dump & chase.. sigh

can't make play for yourself, but if youre big and strong it doesn't matter. that's his problem, since he moved to NA playing creative hockey suddenly went to dead end, his strengths are almost useless.. now he just has to learn the game again, or move somewhere else where hockey IQ remains/exist. Datsyuk wasn't either immediate force, but he has one advantage with him - gamesystem

edit: not meant to offend anyone, but yeo

Last edited by behemolari: 02-21-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Coil

Another Finn posting about Granlund, oh my God. I apologize beforehand.

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks playing a role that is less stressful is good for him? Assuming he still plays powerplay on either unit. That way I could understand it, as he would have no pressure 5 on 5, could work on his defensive game and still maybe get something on the scoresheet while on the PP.

If he doesn't play powerplay and gets fourth line minutes... That I don't understand.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

This fourth line minute bs is not going to help him, at all. He needs to just get sent down, if this is what Yeo has in mind.

It's decisions like this that have me questioning Yeo lately.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil View Post
Another Finn posting about Granlund, oh my God. I apologize beforehand.

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks playing a role that is less stressful is good for him? Assuming he still plays powerplay on either unit. That way I could understand it, as he would have no pressure 5 on 5, could work on his defensive game and still maybe get something on the scoresheet while on the PP.

If he doesn't play powerplay and gets fourth line minutes... That I don't understand.
no youre not, but 4th line come on.. he has already proven to be better than that. also no winning team can put grinders to top6 and skilled playmakers to 3rd and 4th, that's just totally silly. you'll never create any plays by that, just defend and hope for one lucky.. till your leading scorer will get injury, THEN DO WHAT?! this idea having one line marked in stone and lottery, it just sucks big time.

no he doesn't get PP time, neither does Zucker.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Dee Oh Cee

which grinders are in the top 6?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Granlund 64

Granlund does get PP time; our PP is just that forgettable.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Granlund's on the second PP unit. Averaging two minutes per game of PP time but in all honesty that unit doesn't do anything other than skate the puck from the D zone and turn it over.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I honestly don't know where you guys would rather put him. Who would he replace in the top 6? Cullen? Sure I can go along with that...but then who does Cullen replace on the 3rd line? I don't see a scenario where Cullen is scratched in favor of Granlund.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Gaps

Whoever is responsible for this team's PP needs to come up with some new tricks, because it's pretty bad.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Dee Oh Cee

That's probably the largest gripe I have right now. Needs to be better.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
I honestly don't know where you guys would rather put him. Who would he replace in the top 6? Cullen? Sure I can go along with that...but then who does Cullen replace on the 3rd line? I don't see a scenario where Cullen is scratched in favor of Granlund.
anything but this. ok 1st line, make him *****ing no.1 starting center, just don't put him in the 4th anymore. where to put cullen, i don't really care, he doesn't bring anything anyways.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

How invisible can a player be that no one even mentions is his name when it comes to who should be centering the 4th line?

Seriously! It is as if 3rd line center doesn't even exist on this team and therefore it is not an option to have Cullen or Granlund play there and have the current mythical 3c play 4c.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
forthewild

Should have taken Bjugstad

too early?

/fo'real

Old
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Should have taken Bjugstad

too early?

/fo'real
wouldn't mind.. let MiG for Wings

Old
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
How invisible can a player be that no one even mentions is his name when it comes to who should be centering the 4th line?

Seriously! It is as if 3rd line center doesn't even exist on this team and therefore it is not an option to have Cullen or Granlund play there and have the current mythical 3c play 4c.
who plays there, no seriously.. do we have 3rd line

Old
02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's just Sheppard all over again. Stick your top prospect on the fourth line with a couple grinders and have him learn to grind. I'm just not sure how trying to turn him into Zach Parise #2 is going to work.
It isn't at all like James Sheppard. Zip. Zero. If Granlund changed his name to Zach Phillips, I would agree whole heartily that it was like the James Sheppard situation but here's what is different:

(1) Granlund has had 3 years in a pro or pro-style league and a cup of coffee in the AHL before moving into the NHL.

(2) Sheppard was never the prospect Granlund was in terms of skills and abilities.

(3) Yeo isn't Lemaire. Lemaire was a bit arrogant (and for good reason) but he had vendettas that none of us could understand.

(4) The team is no where near the train wreck it was when Sheppard joined it.

UGH! Stop comparing situations that are not alike.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I think Granlund is benefitting from playing limited minutes on the 4th line. Of course I want him to be in the top 6. But limited minutes means he's gonna be fighting for more and busting his ass every time he see the ice because he doesn't know when his # is gonna be called again.

Secondly, he needed to learn the physical aspect of the game before he could truly be effective in the top 6. His skills will still be there when he's promoted up again. On the 3rd and 4th line, he's forced to learn how to use his body, keep his feet moving and create plays for himself and others.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

I'd like to see him on #1 PP unit, but that's just me. That could be a big confidence booster for him to start scoring more regularly there.

Closed Thread