HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
So who is the Wayne Simmonds of this draft? Is there one? Any guesses, That?

Because I want our own version, whoever he may be.

Keep in mind Simmons was actually passed over in his first year of draft eligibility as he wasn't even in the OHL that year. Then he was drafted with 49 points in 66 games in 2006-07.
This.

I've been wanting a Simmonds type of forward on our team since forever.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Keep in mind Simmons was actually passed over in his first year of draft eligibility as he wasn't even in the OHL that year. Then he was drafted with 49 points in 66 games in 2006-07.
What do you mean by Simmonds though? Just a big slow dude that fights and can pot goals? These guys are taken way too high in the draft because of these abilities, i.e. Biggs and Moroz.

Michael McCarron is one. 6'5 230lbs, lots of grit. Committed to Western Michigan, but I believe the Knights own his CHL rights, and they have the ability to convince players to play for them.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Someone who can play on your top 2 lines, can win fights and be a feared presence all over the ice.

I wouldn't use a 1st or early 2nd (lolOilers). Looking more for a ''hidden gem'' type.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Et le But

You never know, but I don't think Biggs or Moroz will be as good as Simmonds. But you really can't project what you are going to get with guys like that, which is why they tend to get overrated in the draft. Definitely worth gambling on a few guys like that once you get to the end of the 2nd round.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:12 PM
That

Quote:

I really do too. I love the way he plays and he'd be a perfect fit for this team. From the OHL, I really don't think there is any players who play exactly like him. There's a few players who have very similar qualities to Simmonds though. I can't think of any that can fight like Simmonds.

Justin Auger (RW) is probably the most unknown player, largely due to the fact that he was passed over last year. He's 6'7", has great hands (Video, make sure you mute it) and is a pretty smart player. His skating needs a lot of work, but it's come a long way. Not a fighter, and his physical game comes and goes. He's very streaky, but when he's on he can dominate the corners with his hands and strength, and then the production follows. Probably worth a mid to late round pick.

Zach Nastasiuk (RW/LW) is another. Not much of a comparison in play style, but is absolutely comparable in terms of the impact that he can have on a game. He's probably the best shot blocker in the OHL, he's a fantastic penalty killer, he finishes his checks, he's very strong on the puck, and he doesn't lose puck battles. He also has a good shot, and is smart player who goes to the front of the net. Only one fight to his name, beat up 6'5" Nick Betz. Worth a late second round pick in my opinion

One last player, Nick Baptiste (RW). He lists Simmonds as his favourite player, but they aren't really comparable styles. Baptiste relies mostly on his speed and puck skills. He was a high draft pick, but hasn't really proved why. Since Sudbury traded there two best players, he's really stepped up. He has major consistency issues, but has a very well rounded offensive skill set. He's production and physicality are linked, as he gets his points when he driving the net and creating space, doesn't do it very often though. Yet again, not a fighter. Worth a fourth or a fifth at this point, but if he keeps up his recent play, that could change.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:02 PM
NotProkofievian

Hey That, what do you think of this Jimmy Lodge who's been snapping necks and cashing cheques recently?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:12 PM
MaxLacoste

Tyler Hill is a player I start to love. I wouldn't mind if the team add a player that mean.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:34 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Jordan Subban had three more points tonight.

Now up to 45 points in 56 games (6th among D in the OHL, 8 points back of Cody Ceci in 2nd).

Really good sophomore campaign for the kid, and similar to PK.

PK Subban:
2006 - 52 GP, 5 G, 7 A, 12 P
2007 - 68 GP, 15 G, 41 A, 56 P

Jordan Subban:
2012 - 56 GP, 5 G, 15 A, 20 P
2013 - 56 GP, 14 G, 31 A, 45 P (Pace is 55 points)

Old
02-21-2013, 03:12 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Really wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Subban goes well before wherever he's ranked.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Really wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Subban goes well before wherever he's ranked.
Completely agree despite his size one team will definitely see the possible rewards of him being anything at all like his eldest brother.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:39 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

The thing that will benefit him is that he is big for his height and he can skate incredibly well. He isn't weak on his skates and he actually can win battles due to how strong he is. His offense needs to translate to the pro's and his defense (mainly decision-making) needs to get better..but that sounds familiar does it not?

I can see him going early 2nd. I mean, why not? He has the shot, the skating ability, the distributing ability, is strong for his size and is better than Pk was defensively at the same age. In addition, he is a gym rat like PK so his size should not limit him like it does to others. Kinda has that Gallagher build and intensity when he plays. A weaker team might want to take a shot in hoping he becomes like his brother.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Hey That, what do you think of this Jimmy Lodge who's been snapping necks and cashing cheques recently?
He's grown on me a lot. The high skill level has always been evident, no doubt it, so it was only a matter of time before he started producing. Great skater, good hands, good shot and fantastic vision. His recent success has been with Locke and Ross. He's playing the RW. He's naturally a centre, and he's played all three forward positions with regularity this year.

I do find he's pretty soft though. Avoids the corners and doesn't drive the net. That, however, could be attributed to the fact that he's listed at 165 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Jordan Subban had three more points tonight.

Now up to 45 points in 56 games (6th among D in the OHL, 8 points back of Cody Ceci in 2nd).

Really good sophomore campaign for the kid, and similar to PK.

PK Subban:
2006 - 52 GP, 5 G, 7 A, 12 P
2007 - 68 GP, 15 G, 41 A, 56 P

Jordan Subban:
2012 - 56 GP, 5 G, 15 A, 20 P
2013 - 56 GP, 14 G, 31 A, 45 P (Pace is 55 points)
Another player who I've warmed up to over the year. I'd be lying if I said I though he'd be playing this good. He doesn't have that dynamic ability that PK possessed at the same age, but he's a much smarter player. He had a bit of a lull last month in production (but I still thought he was playing good in all facets of the game), and then he just took off.

Really impressed with his progression.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
He's grown on me a lot. The high skill level has always been evident, no doubt it, so it was only a matter of time before he started producing. Great skater, good hands, good shot and fantastic vision. His recent success has been with Locke and Ross. He's playing the RW. He's naturally a centre, and he's played all three forward positions with regularity this year.

I do find he's pretty soft though. Avoids the corners and doesn't drive the net. That, however, could be attributed to the fact that he's listed at 165 pounds.
Yeah that seems to be the consensus on him. Great skills, but a bit of a *****.

I thought I'd catch a Severstal Cherepovets game today to watch Buchnevich. I missed the first period, and he didn't play for the rest of the game, so that...was a waste. He had 1 shift for a total of 0:54 TOI today.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
What do you mean by Simmonds though? Just a big slow dude that fights and can pot goals? These guys are taken way too high in the draft because of these abilities, i.e. Biggs and Moroz.

Michael McCarron is one. 6'5 230lbs, lots of grit. Committed to Western Michigan, but I believe the Knights own his CHL rights, and they have the ability to convince players to play for them.
Simmonds is more like a skinny, wiry dude that will fight and score garbage goals.

He's massively overrated based on last year's stats though.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Completely agree despite his size one team will definitely see the possible rewards of him being anything at all like his eldest brother.
He's also got that Subban name. Which helps him looking at how P.K. is doing and how Malcolm has been playing and where he went in the draft last year.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Treb

Quote:
One last player, Nick Baptiste (RW). He lists Simmonds as his favourite player, but they aren't really comparable styles. Baptiste relies mostly on his speed and puck skills. He was a high draft pick, but hasn't really proved why. Since Sudbury traded there two best players, he's really stepped up. He has major consistency issues, but has a very well rounded offensive skill set. He's production and physicality are linked, as he gets his points when he driving the net and creating space, doesn't do it very often though. Yet again, not a fighter. Worth a fourth or a fifth at this point, but if he keeps up his recent play, that could change.
It would be awesome if we could draft him, my uncle coached him in highschool!

Old
02-21-2013, 06:39 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

You want a maybe-Simmonds type, you get Tyler Hill early in the 3rd or late 2nd. 6'6" good hands, still growing into his body. High school/USHL player so you never know how he'll handle tougher comp but that's HS hockey.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:50 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Tyler Hill is a player I start to love. I wouldn't mind if the team add a player that mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
You want a maybe-Simmonds type, you get Tyler Hill early in the 3rd or late 2nd. 6'6" good hands, still growing into his body. High school/USHL player so you never know how he'll handle tougher comp but that's HS hockey.
These are the two players that Freddy Gauthier should have as wingers,while refining his game in the AHL.IMHOIf the Habs draft Mantha and Carrier then exchange wingers for the PP's.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:46 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Another player who I've warmed up to over the year. I'd be lying if I said I though he'd be playing this good. He doesn't have that dynamic ability that PK possessed at the same age, but he's a much smarter player. He had a bit of a lull last month in production (but I still thought he was playing good in all facets of the game), and then he just took off.

Really impressed with his progression.
Nailed it on the head. He shows the dynamic talent he possesses but he is a lot smarter at that age than PK was.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:40 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
I really do too. I love the way he plays and he'd be a perfect fit for this team. From the OHL, I really don't think there is any players who play exactly like him. There's a few players who have very similar qualities to Simmonds though. I can't think of any that can fight like Simmonds.

Justin Auger (RW) is probably the most unknown player, largely due to the fact that he was passed over last year. He's 6'7", has great hands (Video, make sure you mute it) and is a pretty smart player. His skating needs a lot of work, but it's come a long way. Not a fighter, and his physical game comes and goes. He's very streaky, but when he's on he can dominate the corners with his hands and strength, and then the production follows. Probably worth a mid to late round pick.

Zach Nastasiuk (RW/LW) is another. Not much of a comparison in play style, but is absolutely comparable in terms of the impact that he can have on a game. He's probably the best shot blocker in the OHL, he's a fantastic penalty killer, he finishes his checks, he's very strong on the puck, and he doesn't lose puck battles. He also has a good shot, and is smart player who goes to the front of the net. Only one fight to his name, beat up 6'5" Nick Betz. Worth a late second round pick in my opinion

So, basically, there are none Thanks.

If you take Simmonds' physical play and intimidation factor away from his game, he's no longer the force he is out there.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
So, basically, there are none Thanks.

If you take Simmonds' physical play and intimidation factor away from his game, he's no longer the force he is out there.
No two same players are the same, obviously. You're not going to find a player exactly like Simmonds.

Simmonds wasn't the player in his draft year as he is today. He was a lanky kid, who needed to get stronger and continue to become become meaner (he was quite mean though) so his game could translate to the next level. The same could be said all three of the players that I mentioned. If there was a player who played exactly like Simmonds, he wouldn't be talked about as a late round pick or hidden gem, he would be a high draft pick. It's about projecting, and all three of those players have potential to become a player can impact a game like Simmonds can.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
with three 2nds I would like to see Hill available to us. He seems like a solid pwfd type or 3rd line tough guy with some skill...like Prust offers us, keep in mind, I do not know if Hill has the heart or team concept that Prust has, but only use his role as what Hill could one day perhaps become

Old
02-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
with three 2nds I would like to see Hill available to us. He seems like a solid pwfd type or 3rd line tough guy with some skill...like Prust offers us, keep in mind, I do not know if Hill has the heart or team concept that Prust has, but only use his role as what Hill could one day perhaps become
He seems to have a physical presence, but i can't find a video of him and the only one i can find, he's getting pushed on the ice by a slovak player...

What are the reports on him?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
He seems to have a physical presence, but i can't find a video of him and the only one i can find, he's getting pushed on the ice by a slovak player...

What are the reports on him?
smart kid, wants to go to University.

Skill wise, his skating is passable, he has a heavy shot, a great wrister. Loves to play physical, hits hard, very engaged when on the forecheck. He has a lacross mentality in his play.

I have a buddy who coaches midgets in Chicago area and does some minor scouting, he has gushed about this kid. Says he has a ton of upside, but admits he is a project. He grew alot quickly and needs some time to get his coordination together, but he thinks he's NHL capable

Old
02-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
smart kid, wants to go to University.

Skill wise, his skating is passable, he has a heavy shot, a great wrister. Loves to play physical, hits hard, very engaged when on the forecheck. He has a lacross mentality in his play.

I have a buddy who coaches midgets in Chicago area and does some minor scouting, he has gushed about this kid. Says he has a ton of upside, but admits he is a project. He grew alot quickly and needs some time to get his coordination together, but he thinks he's NHL capable
I'm sold. Take that kid with one of our second round pick!

Closed Thread