Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General OT Thread #27: Bacon - Tasty And Good For Your Blue Line

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
I once did a speech on how to play Magic the Gathering.... found out you can't really cram teaching that in 10-15 minutes.....

Old
02-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Brilliant writing by Steven Hyden:

Quote:
When I said earlier that indie has failed rock and roll, this is what I meant: Indie bands haven't done enough to compete. The status quo in indie rock these days is to make records aimed directly at upper-middle-class college graduates living in big cities. Only a small handful of indie bands attempt to reach listeners who aren't already on the team; even the really good records reside firmly in a familiar wheelhouse of tastefully arty and historically proven "college rock" aesthetics and attitudes that mean nothing to the outside world.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Great quote. I almost read the article. It was long though, much more than three chords plus chorus. I may have missed something, but good writing!

Old
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Really enjoying The Americans on FX.
Same. It's the best show I'm currently watching on TV.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
I sold my analog cameras today. So sad. You don't bond with these 01010101plastics anymore.

I had a Canon A-1, Canon FTb, some FD and FDn lenses + Rolleicord V. One vintage camera shop in Helsinki paid at least something. But I'm sad. All those years, all those times I dreamed about the next camera / lens.. All those times I was looking for them, examining, touching and saving money before I could buy them. The feeling... metal, rubber, glass, coatings, weight, mechanics, odour.. Crap... part of me is gone.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:00 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi75 View Post
part of me is gone.
I felt the same way after my muscle biopsy...

Old
02-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Old
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I spent the better part of an hour compiling a list of hockey sticks I've owned over the years. Roughly 20 one piece sticks, half a dozen wood, about 25 shafts, and about 65 different blades.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I spent the better part of an hour compiling a list of hockey sticks I've owned over the years. Roughly 20 one piece sticks, half a dozen wood, about 25 shafts, and about 65 different blades.
I just picked up a Miken MV-5 Pro Radial Composite Stick BP23 after using a friends in HF Tuesday Night league.

Dropped down to a 70 Flex on the recommendation of one of my AHA teammate. Said that the way I shoot needs more flex in my stick.

Looking forward to using it.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Same. It's the best show I'm currently watching on TV.
Dammit, now I have to check this out, and my DVR is already full.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
After reading through the article, Hyden makes two really interesting points. First, he discusses in that indie rock has eschewed the radio route and are too comfortable being in their own bubble making music for like-minded people. It's something that also gets seen in comedy where people wonder how a Louis CK or (insert comedian that is hilarious on LA-based podcast) does not have the love and respect across the nation that the Blue Collar Comedy guys do. There's nothing wrong with segmentation - the internet is built off of it - just that it does the raise the question of whether a smaller success for like-minded people is such a good thing?

The other point that I thought was interesting was how country music is now writing about the things mainstream rock would have 15 years ago.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:48 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
After reading through the article, Hyden makes two really interesting points. First, he discusses in that indie rock has eschewed the radio route and are too comfortable being in their own bubble making music for like-minded people. It's something that also gets seen in comedy where people wonder how a Louis CK or (insert comedian that is hilarious on LA-based podcast) does not have the love and respect across the nation that the Blue Collar Comedy guys do. There's nothing wrong with segmentation - the internet is built off of it - just that it does the raise the question of whether a smaller success for like-minded people is such a good thing?

The other point that I thought was interesting was how country music is now writing about the things mainstream rock would have 15 years ago.
Country is amazing.

If people want some more rock-centric country tracks, I can definitely point them towards some. Author mentioned Eric Church's Chief, which is one of the best albums of the last few years, IMO. That's a great place to start. Tons of good songs on that one.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Score!

Just picked up the Stack and Tilt DVD set AND the book for $40 shipped. DVD's are $60 before shipping on clearance (were $150 a few months back) and the book is $20 before tax in stores.

That's almost as good as my $20 Logic Express 9 that went for $200 last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I just picked up a Miken MV-5 Pro Radial Composite Stick BP23 after using a friends in HF Tuesday Night league.

Dropped down to a 70 Flex on the recommendation of one of my AHA teammate. Said that the way I shoot needs more flex in my stick.

Looking forward to using it.
Dunno if you saw but I got a Miken Z9 a few weeks ago and it's pretty dang good. Balance is perfect. Got a nice kick to it. I'm up and down on the curve though.

Quote:

Go back and read the other six parts. The first few were interesting based on the history, but parts 5-7 were talking about the rise of indie credibility compared to record sales as a measure of success, which has lead to the like-mindedness and pigeon-holing of indie rock.

Also, I'd replace the Blue Collar with Dane Cook. (Allegedly/probably) ripped off Louis CK but appealed and sold himself to a wider audience.

The best part is he is a writer/reviewer for Pitchfork, probably the most elitist music pub I've ever read

Old
02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

The problem i have with country has nothing to do with instrumentation and everything with lyrical content.
I've tried many times, listened to countless songs country fans have recommended and I just can't begin to like it. There's never been a lyric in country that I could relate to, it's a completely different world from mine. Plus there's never been a line from a song that i thought "oh dang that's a good line". And it's not catchy enough for me to listen to mindlessly.

That said i never bash it as a genre, i just don't like it but can understand why others would.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Also, I'd replace the Blue Collar with Dane Cook. (Allegedly/probably) ripped off Louis CK but appealed and sold himself to a wider audience.

The best part is he is a writer/reviewer for Pitchfork, probably the most elitist music pub I've ever read
Dane Cook is a good example too.

It gets better: he also wrote for the AV Club.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

There's not many worse things in the world than country music.

And completely unrelated, mmmm.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Krishna

I agree. Not a fan of Country

Big fan of indie music though

And of course bacon

Old
02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also his dissertation on the relevancy of the Grammys and pop culture vs indie cred is a good one as well.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ugh why did I have to be so fat that I had to swear off beer?

That looks awesome.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
Not all country is terrible. Tyra mentioned Eric Church's album Chief which does deserve a listen or two.

My problem with country is most country songs sound the same. You're almost guaranteed to turn on the radio and hear a song about the artist bragging about how "Country" they are. It's basically turned me off the entire genre amongst other reasons.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've got a lot of problems with modern country:

1. The vocal twang is annoying and gimmicky. I will not listen to crap that has it.

2. It's far more pop than folk or rock oriented. That's not a bad thing, but call it what it is. I'm listening to Eric Church Springsteen right now and it's basically got a disco beat where he's rapping on top of it.

3. Yes, it all sounds so damn similar, with the same chord changes and production. Yes I know you've got that Tele twang and acoustic guitars and maybe some slide in the background, it's cookie cutter.

4. Lyrics are corny as hell. Artificial nostalgia or else chest thumping good ol' boy crap. I guess some people loved when country singers started overtly singing about trucks and beer and fishing and what not, but I can't take it seriously.

5. It's stale. I can turn on K-102 and I hear a song that sounds just like everything my country-loving ex listened to 10 years ago.

You can apply a lot of that to Nickelback too:

1. He sounds like every grunge singer ever
2. It's the same disco beat in half their songs, ballad beat in the others
3. Same minor chord changes, same sampled drum tracks with gated reverb, same PRS-into-Mesa-Boogie guitar sound
4. Every Nickelback song I've heard in the last 5+ years is talking about drinking, drugs, and loose women
5. See above, nothing has changed in 10 years

Old
02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Granlund 64

I'm a big country fan, but don't begrudge those who don't like it.

It's what I grew up on and what I can relate too. Although, like Jarick said, much of today's country is hard for me to listen too.

Eli Young Band and Zac Brown Band are probably two of my favorite "contemporary" country artists.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:21 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

In other good news...news, The Americans has been renewed!

Old
02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
music...
My biggest struggle with modern music right now is the auto-tune computerized function that a lot of modern pop, rock, and even country artists have been using to record their studio bits.

Not a lot of people can hear the slightly synthesized nature of their voices, but for some reason, I've always been able to tell. I dated a music major in college and the school got a brand new auto-tune synthesizer that she thought was amazing. Couldn't really tell, she said... I said I could so she put together 20 different samples and I correctly identified all of them as either natural or auto-tuned.

What burns my chops even more is when the vocal track isn't 100% auto-tuned and just certain notes are to achieve the tone they are looking for... Yes, I am talking about Nickelback here. One of their more popular songs has a few high notes and a few lower notes auto-tune and only those notes. Can't. Stand. Listening. To. It.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Zac Brown Band is incredible....would love to see them at a show somewhere. One of my favorite things about the country style music is how so many things they sing about are so simple and easy to relate to. I mean who doesn't like to drink beer, hang out by the water and/or like girls? It's especially great to listen to in the summer out on a lake somewhere. There's just something about it that makes it so easy to listen to.

Closed Thread