HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
GrafSk8r12

vCash: 500
Skates: Bauer Vapor vs Supreme One

I've been skating on Vapor X:30s for close to three years and have no complaints, but they're getting a bit worn and smelly (skating barefoot will do that pretty quickly). I'll probably stick with Vapors, but could anyone provide some insight on how the Supreme One line compares?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This has been answered in AIR's big skate thread

Old
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Calvin123

I currently have a pair of CCM Vector 6.0s. Either 3 or 4 years old. They fit perfect, and I'm happy with the stiffness. However, they have broken down way too quickly.

I play 3-5 hours a week, year around, plus another 2-3 hours a week on-ice coaching.

Questions:
I assume the U+ line will give me the same fit - is that correct?
What would be the equivalent new model?
Is stepping up a couple of models likely to give me a lot more durability?

Thanks

Old
02-09-2013, 05:38 PM
djkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
if the one60's weren't stiff enough for you, then flexlite 3.0's will definitely not be stiff enough for you as flexlites in general tend to have a pretty soft boot throughout the line...with the exception of the 4.0 pro.

the u+ 12's are a really stiff boot so that may be what you're looking for...but as always, fit is king.
I think the issue with the One60 is that while they were "stiff" they didn't offer enough support around the ankles. I couldn't get them tight enough where my ankle had enough support and my foot would wobble around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
In that case, I would gamble on the U+12. They're amazing skates, but to get the optimal fit, you really do need to get them baked properly. You can pay your LHS to do that.
I ended up going to a shop about an hour away to try on the U+12. Unfortunately they weren't verry comfortable for me in the size I needed. It was too loose in the heel and didn't lock it in. There were some other fit issues as well. Also tried on a pair of Nexus 400 and 600 and they were pretty nice. Had a lot of volume and really felt like the skate wrapped around my foot well. But the shop also had a pair of Easton EQ50 on clearance that fit really well. It reminds me of the older Bauer Comps back in the 90s. This is what I really was looking for in a skate and found it.

I liked the Nexus line, it reminded me of the MLX skates I tired for a bit, but it was just a bit different. Also the 400 and 600 were entry/low mid level skates where as the EQ50 was top of the line. The EQ50 had more support and more padding and to me seems like a better built skate.

It was heavily discounted to boot so I picked up a pair. Almost want to pick up another as a back up.... but really, I'm a goalie and don't think I'll be going through multiple pairs of skates in a few years..

Old
02-09-2013, 05:56 PM
AIREAYE

Excellent; the EQ50s are excellent skates that can be had for a great price this time in it's lifespan.

I have and always will advocate any long trip to try on skates and helmets, they really do need to be fitted properly.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Ted Black

AIREAYE- thanks for setting me on straight on the difference between profile and contour. I think I actually knew that, but hey

So I finally got new skates. The shop didn't have 18k in 9.5. They offered to order me a pair and I said if they would do better on the price on the 20k I would just go with them. They dropped it down to $699; I was pretty shocked. I really wanted to bake them tonight, but Joe (LHS owner) told me you're supposed to wait 24 hrs to skate in baked skates, at least for RBK. I was dying to try new skates and I just HAD to skate in them tonight. Wow. They're definitely going to take some getting used too. Didn't expect them to be so stiff. When I had them on in the store I didn't think they'd be that bad, it seemed like I could flex them pretty well. I have to be honest, I'm a little nervous about the situation, but hopefully after a bake or two and a good 10-15 hours I'll break them in a bit. The stiffness I can get used to with time, but my arch was in some pain. Will that flatten out with time and with a bake? I have flat feet and RBKs are supposed to be known for accommodating a flat foot. It wasn't overbearing in the store, but it was bugging me quite a bit on the ice tonight.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
AIREAYE

The 24hr thing is to be safe. Skates typically are 'cured' and are ready after a few hours. I've told some ice-desperate customers looking to skate within the 24hr time-frame to take them home and throw them in the fridge or leave in a cooler room.

I would definitely give it a chance to break in before making changes to the boot.

Arch problems are unique to everyone and as such, there is rarely a cure-all for that. I'm not a podiatrist so I can't really tell you anything. The only thing I can say is that Superfeet Yellow has worked for some people claiming to have flat feet. They have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee so imo, it would be worth a try.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Ted Black

Quote:
The 24hr thing is to be safe. Skates typically are 'cured' and are ready after a few hours. I've told some ice-desperate customers looking to skate within the 24hr time-frame to take them home and throw them in the fridge or leave in a cooler room.

I would definitely give it a chance to break in before making changes to the boot.

Arch problems are unique to everyone and as such, there is rarely a cure-all for that. I'm not a podiatrist so I can't really tell you anything. The only thing I can say is that Superfeet Yellow has worked for some people claiming to have flat feet. They have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee so imo, it would be worth a try.
I will try it if it comes to that. But that part of the boot seems extremely stiff; I'm hoping the whole middle side of that boot can be punched if it comes to it. Do you know if that area of a skate is able to be punched or stretched? I don't know that a new insole would help, I mean it can't get rid of the arch in the skate. My right foot is tough now too, but I can tell that that skate/foot is most likely going to be just fine. When I got my 5ks my left skate felt like it wasn't wide enough either, but it quickly worked itself out. I don't think it was this bad though; can't remember for sure, it's been a long time. I didn't bake those skates either but these babies are definitely going to need to be.

Thanks for listening man, as always.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
AIREAYE

Ask the LHS guys what he tihnks. He gets a visual, I don't lol. There isn't much you can do to the boot if the pain is coming from straight under. If it comes to having to rebake the boot, I would recommend standing (still) in the heated boots as opposed to sitting so your foot assumes it's natural 'widened' position to help push out the sides. See what he says, but again, give it a chance.

No problem, good luck!

Old
02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
Ask the LHS guys what he tihnks. He gets a visual, I don't lol. There isn't much you can do to the boot if the pain is coming from straight under. If it comes to having to rebake the boot, I would recommend standing (still) in the heated boots as opposed to sitting so your foot assumes it's natural 'widened' position to help push out the sides. See what he says, but again, give it a chance.

No problem, good luck!
I thought of this too, great advice. I think over time this bump could flatten out. It can probably be punched a bit too; it's not directly underneath. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
AIREAYE

For sure, I see stretching/punching as a last resort option for what that's worth.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Please tell me I'm not the only who thinks the Mako skate is ugly.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Ted Black

I walked around in my skates quite a bit Monday and Tuesday night and it seemed to help quite a bit. Had the skates baked yesterday and damn, what a difference, they felt pretty damn awesome. Skated tonight and overall they felt pretty damn good. I did get some raw skin on the arch of my right foot which seems like a really weird spot to me. I'm used to a forward pitch on my old skates, I need to have this done on these. I felt like I was on my heels too much.

I started wearing skate socks with these new skates but I'm not sure if it's such a good idea. They make your foot super slick so whatever tiny bit of movement your foot can move in a skate, I think it might... maybe that's why I got this skin rubbed raw.

Overall, very impressed.. hopefully this one issue I'm having sorts itself out with a little more break in time.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Thesensation19

What do you think of the new Mako skate.

Its features seem kind of interesting.

Its designed after the old MLX designs. Were the MLX designs really good? I heard that they were very comfortable. True?

I hear the boot fiiting is amazing. One review wanted to give it a 10 out of 5 but could not. TotalHockey states it may be the best of all time. Is this really important in new skates? Being able to mold the skates the best or very good.

I heard possibly replecable parts. The Heel, the tongue are repleacable.

I am looking for protection most importantly. I hate when skate tongues are lacking protection. I can spend around $400-500, was wondering if skates past 600 and then skates like the Mako at 800 really worth the extra cash. Are they bound to last longer? I am looking for duration also in skates of course.

Tho I can really oinly spend 500, 600 is pushing it...The mako at 800 is really interesting. The designs to allow more flexibility, comfort and evolution of the MLX designs kinda got me hooked.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Ted Black

AIREAYE- I have a question for you man.

Here's where I'm at with my new 20ks. Overall, I love them. I thought they might be too stiff, but they're not. Overall they feel great but I do have one issue.

When I had my skates baked, I put a little weight on my left foot. That skate felt too tight when the skates were brand new and it wasn't a suprise-- I had the same issue the first time I bought skates. But my ankle is even bigger now since I broke my fibula a year and half ago. So, again, I didn't stand on it or anything, but as I sat there I did put a little put of weight on it once or twice. Now I kind of regret doing this. I had never baked skates before and tbh, I really didn't expect it to make as huge of a difference as it did. My left skate still feels pretty good when I skate, but not as good as my right, because the left feels slightly looser and I flattened out the arch in the skate a bit more than I would have liked. My ankle isn't quite as tight as the right either..(still absolutely no heel slip in either skate)

Now, I'm not talking a gross difference here, but it's enough to be at least somewhat noticeable when I skate. My question is, would a re-bake help here at all? When you re-bake a skate will the foams I compressed the first time around expand back at all, even just a little?

I know you're probably thinking "you should have never put any weight in it."

It was my first time baking skates and I was trying to go about the matter smartly. I certainly didn't ruin the skate, but if you have any ideas on my correcting what I did and getting my skates dialed in perfectly, I'm all ears. I've thought about trying superfeet insoles in both skates, or perhaps even trying one in just the left.

What is your opinion here?

If I re-bake is only going to make a foam compress more or somewhere it hasn't compressed yet, then I don't want to do it of course.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. It's nothing terrible, but since I paid so much for these babies I tend to be kicking myself over this error.

Thanks for your ears.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
AIREAYE

Give it a chance to work in in your favor first before considering making any changes.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
sanityplease

Air, an update, picked up a pair of CL's on clearance had a skate on them, no games yet, pretty impressed so far. I forgot to mention earlier, I've got high instep & arches, the depth of the ccm boot is perfect for me.

They felt pretty good right out of the box, soft inside plenty of foam. After first bake, felt even better. Tried skating on them, left outsole wasn't wide enough (turns out my left foot is wider than my right-never knew until now) & boot was open/loose on sides of ankles & botched sharpening (supposed to be a 5/8", I'll eat my skate guards if that's actually what the guy in the store did-not my regular sharpener. Feels like a 7/16", waaaaayyyyy too much bite, even on hard ice.). No edge on my right rear inside edge. Right skate blade tracks to the left (in about a 2' diameter arc) when I'm on a certain point on the blade- this went away after 20 mins of skating, I'm guessing it was an uneven edge. Going to get them to my regular sharpener asap.

Second bake, put pressure on my left fore-foot to widen, tightened a bit more & held the boot in around ankles. Have them on right now, feel good. Really impressed with the 'moldability' & stiffness of the boot.

Thanks for the OP & advice.

Sidenote: I've seen the new RBZ skate, between the 'moldability' of these boots & selectable arch footbeds, should fit a lot of different types of feet & do well.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
newfr4u

i'm still shopping for my Stealth RS's. i wasn't able to try on the 6.5EE anywhere, but i can still find them online. I am currently in synergy 7EE's, and i think i could probably go down half a size. so i am stuck choosing between 6.5EE and 7EE. i also have extra sets of steel for the 7, which wouldn't fit the 6.5, i think. is this true?

so i am stuck in indecision land.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
What do you think of the new Mako skate.

Its features seem kind of interesting.

Its designed after the old MLX designs. Were the MLX designs really good? I heard that they were very comfortable. True?

I hear the boot fiiting is amazing. One review wanted to give it a 10 out of 5 but could not. TotalHockey states it may be the best of all time. Is this really important in new skates? Being able to mold the skates the best or very good.

I heard possibly replecable parts. The Heel, the tongue are repleacable.

I am looking for protection most importantly. I hate when skate tongues are lacking protection. I can spend around $400-500, was wondering if skates past 600 and then skates like the Mako at 800 really worth the extra cash. Are they bound to last longer? I am looking for duration also in skates of course.

Tho I can really oinly spend 500, 600 is pushing it...The mako at 800 is really interesting. The designs to allow more flexibility, comfort and evolution of the MLX designs kinda got me hooked.
New Mako skate...to be honest, the only opinion I have is based on some discussion over at MSH and the 2013 catalogue, haven't seen or tried them in person. I have also never seen or have any experience w/ MLX.

As a result, my thoughts aren't worth much but here are some:
- Easton's making a big push with their two lines of skates to further improve their reputation as a quality skate maker. Easton has never had a good reputation for being reliable, especially with their earlier Synergy and Stealth skates. They've make good strides with the EQ series I think. Between the Big 4 (well, 3 since CCM and Reebok are one), they are clearly at the end. The RS line looks promising and should complement the Mako well.
- Under the impression that this is the first time that the crossover between speed skating and hockey has been seriously considered and implemented. Imagine what it must have been like for the designers working on the launch of this product; exciting stuff!
- Flexible tendon guard is a very interesting feature, not a new concept, but the hinged design might encourage more people to try integrating it with their sock/shin. Being flexible, the biggest concern I have just by considering the concept is of durability; not sure how Easton took that into consideration.
- Finally, Easton is innovating!

I suppose I could give some more impressions when I see/try them. To be honest, I'm actually going to be in the market for new skates soon and these are definitely a very intriguing consideration pending trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Air, an update, picked up a pair of CL's on clearance had a skate on them, no games yet, pretty impressed so far. I forgot to mention earlier, I've got high instep & arches, the depth of the ccm boot is perfect for me.

They felt pretty good right out of the box, soft inside plenty of foam. After first bake, felt even better. Tried skating on them, left outsole wasn't wide enough (turns out my left foot is wider than my right-never knew until now) & boot was open/loose on sides of ankles & botched sharpening (supposed to be a 5/8", I'll eat my skate guards if that's actually what the guy in the store did-not my regular sharpener. Feels like a 7/16", waaaaayyyyy too much bite, even on hard ice.). No edge on my right rear inside edge. Right skate blade tracks to the left (in about a 2' diameter arc) when I'm on a certain point on the blade- this went away after 20 mins of skating, I'm guessing it was an uneven edge. Going to get them to my regular sharpener asap.

Second bake, put pressure on my left fore-foot to widen, tightened a bit more & held the boot in around ankles. Have them on right now, feel good. Really impressed with the 'moldability' & stiffness of the boot.

Thanks for the OP & advice.

Sidenote: I've seen the new RBZ skate, between the 'moldability' of these boots & selectable arch footbeds, should fit a lot of different types of feet & do well.
Regarding the bake : To optimize results, one should bake them one skate at a time and follow manufacturer's instructions. Since they are so pliable, the skate fitter should absolutely help out but forming the boot with his/her hands around all parts of the foot. Your second bake seems to have addressed what the first didn't.

Regarding the sharpening : What skates did you have before and how long have you used them for?

Regarding RBZ : The 2013 CCM catalogue hasn't been posted yet and thus I've only seen a few photos online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
i'm still shopping for my Stealth RS's. i wasn't able to try on the 6.5EE anywhere, but i can still find them online. I am currently in synergy 7EE's, and i think i could probably go down half a size. so i am stuck choosing between 6.5EE and 7EE. i also have extra sets of steel for the 7, which wouldn't fit the 6.5, i think. is this true?

so i am stuck in indecision land.
Check the size of the steel and holders, if the sizes are the same, they will definitely fit. RBII holders are nice in that you don't need special tools (TUUK wrench) to change steel.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
Give it a chance to work in in your favor first before considering making any changes.
what do you mean exactly? Can you elaborate?

Old
02-21-2013, 04:11 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Check the size of the steel and holders, if the sizes are the same, they will definitely fit. RBII holders are nice in that you don't need special tools (TUUK wrench) to change steel.
oh i know about that, i've switched blades out many times. the numbers don't match. size 7 takes a 263. size 6.5 takes 254. but i don't have a 254 holder to see if the blade would still fit (sometimes it does).

Old
02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
oh i know about that, i've switched blades out many times. the numbers don't match. size 7 takes a 263. size 6.5 takes 254. but i don't have a 254 holder to see if the blade would still fit (sometimes it does).
Oh, probably not then. I'm not sure if there are other tricks involved, haven't had too much experience interchanging holders/steel. I mostly left that to my tech guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
what do you mean exactly? Can you elaborate?
Skate in them a few times was what I meant, not sure if you've done that or not though. You tell me lol

Old
02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Thesensation19

How much more of a difference in durability, comfort are we talking between the best skate I can find for around $500 and $700 or $800 skates

Old
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
Oh, probably not then. I'm not sure if there are other tricks involved, haven't had too much experience interchanging holders/steel. I mostly left that to my tech guys.

Skate in them a few times was what I meant, not sure if you've done that or not though. You tell me lol
I've skated in them three times since the bake. Will the foam in the boot expand back at all with a rebake? I'm not looking for what I would consider a miracle here, I'm just wondering what the science with the foam is, if that makes sense. I know CCM's do this (at least I think) because they'll bake those before you even buy them. LHS guy said they'll go back to normal (not sure if you have to rebake them and then let them sit or how they do this.)

Old
02-22-2013, 02:18 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Ted-

One thing I noticed with a composite skate it it took several weeks for the material at the eyelets to "soften." At first the boot was so stiff I couldn't even get them tight. After months it is awesome my Vapor 7.0's are still breaking in.

Closed Thread