HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Howson Re-Surfaces in Edmonton

Old
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
OntOilFan

vCash: 500
Proven track record of futility?

Sounds like a natural fit in Edmonton.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Howson's been considered a bright guy for a while. Even Columbus beat writers like Aaron Portzline have good things to say about him. One poster on the CBJ boards had the analogy that the Columbus franchise is like a garden and Doug MacLean dug up all the plants and salted the Earth, Howson came in and cleaned it up and re-seeded it but just couldn't get all the plants to grow. Everyone (who's thinking rationally) agrees that Columbus is in much better shape after Howson than it was before he left.

So, to reject him ending up in Edmonton because "Har, har, Columbus sucks" is short-sighted and silly.
I don't think people are rejecting him for those reasons. I'd be saying the same thing if it was Gretzky we were talking about.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I honestly don't mind it. Just because guys suck at one job doesn't mean they suck at every job. He was well praised while here, not like he's going to be calling any shots.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

He will resurface the ice by being hired on as a zamboni driver.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
jsho

Is pro-scouting something he is qualified to do? Seems like there would be better suited roles for someone of his background.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Is pro-scouting something he is qualified to do? Seems like there would be better suited roles for someone of his background.
Well he was the GM of our AHL affiliate, so wouldn't his background be in pro-scouting?

Either way any intel he can give us on Jacket players is all I need.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I guess I don't have a problem with this in theory, if someone can show how it helps our team.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:46 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I guess I don't have a problem with this in theory, if someone can show how it helps our team.
How does it hurt? I mean it's a mickey mouse job. Guy goes to watch hockey games and gives feedback.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well he was the GM of our AHL affiliate, so wouldn't his background be in pro-scouting?

Either way any intel he can give us on Jacket players is all I need.
I thought he had something like 8 years in law school and was great in an office position with numbers, understanding the cba better than most etc.

Being a GM and scouting are different roles for sure. I don't think Tambo would have a clue what hes doing if he was scouting....but then again when it comes to being a GM.....

Old
02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I thought he had something like 8 years in law school and was great in an office position with numbers, understanding the cba better than most etc.

Being a GM and scouting are different roles for sure. I don't think Tambo would have a clue what hes doing if he was scouting....but then again when it comes to being a GM.....
I don't know, how hard is pro scouting. Yes there is some things to know, but if you been around the game you should be able to identify the easy things so at the very least you can tell the main guy to go and watch a kid.

Like really, how hard is it to say "go watch that Lewis kid, had a good game against Edmonton and picked up a goal against the flames".

Old
02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
If he came back to the Oilers, regardless of his role, I'd be unhappy with this. And its not because of his record as a GM or his apparent abilities. It would piss me off because this org has a terrible habit of recycling the same players and management. It doesnt matter how good a person might be at their job - sometimes they just don't fit or just arent the right person for the job. We've had a long run of futility here and the idea of bringing back yet another member of the hockey ops team that oversaw - to whatever extent - the building of the craptastic teams we've had since the Cup run is nothing but humiliating. Plus, its just another body that will have to be fired once Tambo is booted. Find someone new - its time for a new perspective in hockey ops with this team, not the same-old-same-old.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
joestevens29

Here's the other thing, rumor is not too many are happy with the hiring of the new guy in CBJ. Would it really be a bad thing to have the in on a potential relationship with a guys former club?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
If he came back to the Oilers, regardless of his role, I'd be unhappy with this. And its not because of his record as a GM or his apparent abilities. It would piss me off because this org has a terrible habit of recycling the same players and management. It doesnt matter how good a person might be at their job - sometimes they just don't fit or just arent the right person for the job. We've had a long run of futility here and the idea of bringing back yet another member of the hockey ops team that oversaw - to whatever extent - the building of the craptastic teams we've had since the Cup run is nothing but humiliating. Plus, its just another body that will have to be fired once Tambo is booted. Find someone new - its time for a new perspective in hockey ops with this team, not the same-old-same-old.
Howson was gone by the time the team started going to crap and he left because he had a better opportunity in CBJ

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
jsho

Quote:
I don't know, how hard is pro scouting. Yes there is some things to know, but if you been around the game you should be able to identify the easy things so at the very least you can tell the main guy to go and watch a kid.

Like really, how hard is it to say "go watch that Lewis kid, had a good game against Edmonton and picked up a goal against the flames".
I dunno...why was it so hard for Kevin Prendergast then?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
because he wasn't a pro scout...

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Different position. And with pro scouting your GM really has to know what he's getting before he makes the deal. I'd be shocked if Howson said "yep that Sekera is a heck of a d-man, trade Gagner for him", that ST would go and make the deal without watching Sekera first himself.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
because he wasn't a pro scout...
Point being I think there is more to being a scout than some are making it out to be. You may as well just look at the box score if all you have to report back is ___ had a good game here, and had a goal here."

Old
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Lets throw some reality into this discussion. The only thing that saved the Blue Jackets from being the worst team in the league all these years is Rick Nash. The only conceivable star draw in a non hockey market like Columbus is Rick Nash. It isn't Umberger in flashing lights and I can't imagine anybody paying to see a club with that as their marquee player..

Somehow, Howson turned Rick Nash, a died in the wool class individual who seemingly wanted to spend his whole career in Columbus in building a franchise there into somebody that made the club *trade* him out of town.

So a guy who remained in Columbus for years (and who knows why) is finally convinced to leave an org that is never competitive, and never did anything. On ice the most reliably pathetic club the league has seen in decades.

Heading all this is Howson. The guy that through inaction, or inability to give Nash much of anything to work with, preceded his inevitable want out of the blue straight jacket.

This Howson. We're talking about this Howson?

This Rick Nash departure does more to sink hockey in Columbus than anything thats ever happened. Meanwhile attendance again down in one of the perennial worst hockey markets in the league. and Howson not too curiously out of a job...

who knew?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Lets throw some reality into this discussion. The only thing that saved the Blue Jackets from being the worst team in the league all these years is Rick Nash. The only conceivable star draw in a non hockey market like Columbus is Rick Nash. It isn't Umberger in flashing lights and I can't imagine anybody paying to see a club with that as their marquee player..

Somehow, Howson turned Rick Nash, a died in the wool class individual who seemingly wanted to spend his whole career in Columbus in building a franchise there into somebody that made the club *trade* him out of town.

So a guy who remained in Columbus for years (and who knows why) is finally convinced to leave an org that is never competitive, and never did anything. On ice the most reliably pathetic club the league has seen in decades.

Heading all this is Howson. The guy that through inaction, or inability to give Nash much of anything to work with, preceded his inevitable want out of the blue straight jacket.

This Rick Nash departure does more to sink hockey in Columbus than anything thats ever happened. Meanwhile attendance again down in one of the perennial worst hockey markets in the league. and Howson not too curiously out of a job...

who knew?
A good receptionist who becomes CEO and fails, doesn't become a horrible receptionist.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Pennertration

Quote:

who knew?
No doubt the Nash departure looks terrible on Howson, and I didn't really like how he handled it publicly. That said, I don't think you can lay that all on Howson. Nash's departure was set up by years and years of futility, most of which preceded Howson's arrival. Not sure what he could have done to prevent him leaving - he made some splashy moves in acquiring Carter, etc. and that didn't pan out. He also ran into some unfortunate injury situations and he's trying to sell Columbus as a good destination to UFAs, which is no easy feat.

As for the attendance, again, I'm not sure you can put that on him. Blame the NHL for putting a team there.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
A good receptionist who becomes CEO and fails, doesn't become a horrible receptionist.
I think we have enough fail in this org without recruiting more candidates.

What would Howson be in charge of here? paperclips?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I think we have enough fail in this org without recruiting more candidates.

What would Howson be in charge of here? paperclips?
Is he going to be in charge of anything? Or just another body with a mickey mouse title that gets paid to fly and watch hockey?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
No doubt the Nash departure looks terrible on Howson, and I didn't really like how he handled it publicly. That said, I don't think you can lay that all on Howson. Nash's departure was set up by years and years of futility, most of which preceded Howson's arrival. Not sure what he could have done to prevent him leaving - he made some splashy moves in acquiring Carter, etc. and that didn't pan out. He also ran into some unfortunate injury situations and he's trying to sell Columbus as a good destination to UFAs, which is no easy feat.

As for the attendance, again, I'm not sure you can put that on him. Blame the NHL for putting a team there.
Howson had several years in Columbus to do something.

I can see how he'd be attractive to Lowe. He seems to like hiring people that are more incompetent. Kind of creates some distractions and guys to take the next one in the gut.

Fall guys r us. Strange how nobody saw that with the Quinn hire. Or the Tambo hire.

Howson probably lands here. In charge of the ministry of ending losing culture.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Is he going to be in charge of anything? Or just another body with a mickey mouse title that gets paid to fly and watch hockey?
So why hire yet another body? You think bureaucracy and nepotism is good?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:

who knew?
I was leaning more towards thinking this might be a good thing until I read your post. Looking at what they actually got in the trade, I really have to wonder why Howson would even go down that road.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote