HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Old
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
I think everyone is ready for the unleashing of the Swedish Giant. An interesting sidenote was the reports of Anaheim signing Viktor Fasth to a two-year, $5.8 million contract extension on Wednesday, rewarding the Swedish goalie for his 8-0-0 start to his first NHL season.

The kid has been lights out for a team that was suppose to be "fighting for a playoff spot". I doubt anyone could have predicted the start the Ducks are having this season and if they continue this play, my dream of Tallon signing Getzlaf is over officially.

A link to the article for the Fasth singing is here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416434

Fasth earned a new contract after just nine unbeaten appearances with the Pacific Division-leading Ducks, who have the NHL's second-best record at 12-2-1. He'll make $2.4 million next season and $3.4 million in 2014-15.

I'm not saying Markstrom will turn this team around taking them from the bottom to the top but we know next season Jacob will be the back-up for most of the season unless he steals the job as starter against whoever is kept after this year.

I had an early post on here where I said Markstrom should be signed to a long term deal being a minimum of 4 years at $4million. This signing of Fasth is already at a 2year with a $2.9million cap hit. I just thought it was an interesting signing because that may be what Jacob is in the range of for re-signing. I guess it ultimately comes down to how many games Markstrom plays and what his numbers looks like. I really hope he can somehow spark the Panthers into a comeback season.

I eagerly await the season debut of the Big Cat!
I dont know that. You think he backs up clemmer next year? Let me know before i renew lol.

Im hoping Marky gets 10 games in this year and next year 50.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I dont know that. You think he backs up clemmer next year? Let me know before i renew lol.

Im hoping Marky gets 10 games in this year and next year 50.
If Markstrom is not at least ready to take the back up position next season then we have a problem with his development. I'd love for Jacob to get a minimum of 8 games this season. Theo is a better goalie than Clemmensen, I just wish their contracts were reversed.

I feel we have to buyout Clemmers contract or trade him at seasons end then somehow resign Theo for a year. Markstrom getting 50 games next year would be alot I feel. 40 a piece for Theo and Jacob or a 50/30 split for Theo I could live with.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
RainingRats

Markstrom will be the starter. It's his job to lose.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Markstrom will be the starter. It's his job to lose.
So you've gone from saying he needs more time to develop in the AHL to him being our bonafide starter next year...?

Unless he just absolutely steals the show this season, I'd say it makes more sense to pair him with another goalie (maybe re-sign Theo) in a 1a/1b situation.

I'm a big proponent of having him in the NHL, but unless proven otherwise, I feel it would be best to ease him in and not thrust a 65 game season on him right away.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Erick

Unless he sucks this year, he'll be starting next year.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
So you've gone from saying he needs more time to develop in the AHL to him being our bonafide starter next year...?

Unless he just absolutely steals the show this season, I'd say it makes more sense to pair him with another goalie (maybe re-sign Theo) in a 1a/1b situation.

I'm a big proponent of having him in the NHL, but unless proven otherwise, I feel it would be best to ease him in and not thrust a 65 game season on him right away.
I haven't gone from anything. That was my position in the thread. And yes, a full year of healthy hockey in North America would be a first for him. I also said he would get some time at the NHL level at some point. Plus he would have a full training camp and preseason.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

RR never said Marky doesnt start next yr in fact he opines for NEXT yr its his to lose IIRC.

RR and I disagree on this yr.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:19 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Unless he sucks this year, he'll be starting next year.
not even sure about that... i clearly expect inconsistencies from game to game for his first 10.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:47 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

So who started this thread again?

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
So who started this thread again?
Someone exhausted in watching Clemmer have one bad start after another.

Good on him to play well with job on line.

Give DT credit for shaking things up....

Old
02-21-2013, 11:17 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
RR never said Marky doesnt start next yr in fact he opines for NEXT yr its his to lose IIRC.

RR and I disagree on this yr.
i just meant that its funny how he thought Markstrom needed to stay in the AHL and play 20 more games down there to develop his game, but then next year Markstrom is expected to be our starter...

talk about a big jump. Even martin brodeur didn't start out like that

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
i just meant that its funny how he thought Markstrom needed to stay in the AHL and play 20 more games down there to develop his game, but then next year Markstrom is expected to be our starter...

got it.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:

Well, that is why Tallon wanted him to get some games in this year...

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Pantherkidd101
Don't Read This

Send a message via AIM to Pantherkidd101
bump

Bring him back please.

Pantherkidd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Pantherfan12

When you have to pull your starter in every game, then it's a goaltending issue. The fact that we have this stud, 6'6 goaltender in the minors, and are stuggling with two has-beens this long into the season makes me believe Tallon and/or Dineen do NOT want to win this season. What possible excuse can they have for not bringing in a better goaltender,who is going to be our franchise goaltender for years and years to come?

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:23 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
When you have to pull your starter in every game, then it's a goaltending issue. The fact that we have this stud, 6'6 goaltender in the minors, and are stuggling with two has-beens this long into the season makes me believe Tallon and/or Dineen do NOT want to win this season. What possible excuse can they have for not bringing in a better goaltender,who is going to be our franchise goaltender for years and years to come?
Money they don't want to pay 3 goaltenders.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Laus723
Future Now

They said the other night during the LA-Detroit game that Detroit keeps their prospects down an average of almost 250 games. That's telling, IMO. Don't think we need to read too much into someone staying down for a bit.

03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Pantherfan12

[QUOTE=PBPantherfan;60744389]Money they don't want to pay 3 goaltenders.[/QUOT

so, they'll keep the best goaltender of the three down in the minors and risk finishing the season off as 2nd to 3rd worst in the league even though they are only 5 to 6 points out of 3rd in the East(1st in division) because of money? Sounds like a very bad decision if you ask me. I'm glad Kovalev is on his way out. Kuba needs to be waived as well and let Robak take his place. Bring up Markstrom and waive one of Theo/Clemmer.
My opinion is that the team needs to do whatever it takes to win right NOW. We need to make it to the post season. I know many have spoken about the top draft picks but I think we really are in reach of Caro for the top of the division. We need to bring in the guys who will help us win NOW, and not wait. It seems as though our two biggest weaknessess as of now are Goaltending and Defense. Markstrom and Robak are two players who could help fix those problems. They may not be the end-all,be-all (Marky yes) but they can definately help this team turn the ship around. If Marky can make the pivitol saves that the other two can't, then maybe that is the difference between a win and a loss. If Robak can come in and make a little less mistakes than Kuba can, then maybe that too, will make a difference between a win and a loss. Why not take a chance on those two possibly helping this team get on some kind of roll, instead of sticking with players who have shown this entire season that they will lead us right to the draft lottery?

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:52 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
They said the other night during the LA-Detroit game that Detroit keeps their prospects down an average of almost 250 games. That's telling, IMO. Don't think we need to read too much into someone staying down for a bit.
Yup. They keep them in the minors the longest out of any organization.

Shore is a great example of patience with a prospect. It only feels like it takes a long time with a lot of our guys to some people because we had to start from scratch with our prospect pool. We're finally seeing success.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:30 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Avs coming here in peace.

Why don't you guys make Markström your starter in the NHL...? I can kinda understand Ottawa who keeps Lehner down when they have Anderson. But you have Clemmensen och Theodore, who... IMO aren't even better than Markström?

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:44 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post

Why don't you guys make Markström your starter in the NHL...? I can kinda understand Ottawa who keeps Lehner down when they have Anderson. But you have Clemmensen och Theodore, who... IMO aren't even better than Markström?
Well some may say that he still has to prove him in AHL for a full season. I think the only real reason is money though. The Panthers still aren't rushed to have success and thay don't want to have someone as expensive as Clemmensen in the minors.

Markström imo IS our best goalie right now.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:17 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:

Shore is a great example of patience with a prospect. It only feels like it takes a long time with a lot of our guys to some people because we had to start from scratch with our prospect pool. We're finally seeing success.
Shore played 18 games last year and 41 this year not exactly a long time in the AHL. He just took the spot when they called him up and was better than everybody else. He is the number one center on the team right now.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:20 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post

If it was up to us he would be unfortunately we the fans don't get to make the decision. I am sure management has been trying to get rid of one of our goalies to get Markstrom up but they are both so inconsistent who would want them?

Old
03-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Erick

Quote:

I don't think that's a good example.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Vitto79

Clemmensen or Theodore may have some value at the deadline, for a pick anyway. Then Markstrom is the man

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote