HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Groupings for Sochi announced

Old
02-21-2013, 02:25 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think with the WJC being a staple on tv now we will be seeing more hockey fans getting excited over this tournament. the NHL Network does the best they can when the tourney is on European ice, and I hope it gets the same buzz again next year.

I am more excited for the WJC than pretty much anything else...and that is the truth. I just love that tournament as it is pretty much the last purity of our sport where kids are truly playing for love of the game and their country.
MMM yep! Seems like it gets better too as the years go on. The US teams have been so hard working and in comparison, as skilled as the other top teams.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Usually put in 12 to thirteen hours on extended road trips. Done the US twice then again the roads in Eastern Europe aren't nearly as well maintained. I'll probably end up flying as flights to Moscow from Sofia are relatively cheap. The crappy thing is its less than six hundred miles as the crow flies directly across the Black Sea. Varna and Sochi are literally on polar opposite ends of the Black Sea from one another.
I guarantee you, you don't want to make this drive.

I'm not sure if you have ever driven in Ukraine or Russia, but the only reason to do it is for the pure adventure of saying you did it and finding out if you and your car will make it back in one piece. I nearly didn't when I ran into some crooked cops south of Krasnodar. The road from Rostov to Sochi is nice enough, as long as you avoid the coppers, which is impossible as they have checkpoints all along the road. The roads across southern Ukraine are HORRIBLE. It will take you several days just to get across it. It's probably shorter to drive up to Kiev and then over as the road is much better. The advantage is that Ukrainian cops are much friendlier and easier to bribe.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:19 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

I'm not sure if you have ever driven in Ukraine or Russia, but the only reason to do it is for the pure adventure of saying you did it and finding out if you and your car will make it back in one piece. I nearly didn't when I ran into some crooked cops south of Krasnodar. The road from Rostov to Sochi is nice enough, as long as you avoid the coppers, which is impossible as they have checkpoints all along the road. The roads across southern Ukraine are HORRIBLE. It will take you several days just to get across it. It's probably shorter to drive up to Kiev and then over as the road is much better. The advantage is that Ukrainian cops are much friendlier and easier to bribe.
Everybody has their hand out for a vzyatka. It was one of the things I liked about Russia back in the day, it just made things so less complicated. Now, not so much. I'd advise against that drive as well. It would be a nightmare.. I can't imagine squeezing any enjoyment or satisfaction out of that driving adventure. And I love to drive. I strongly advise hopping the train.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

Well I've got some experience with the dirty cops looking for any reason to bust you just looking for the payoff. It seems a constant on that side. Bulgaria isn't as bad but I remember Serbia was. Might be better off just to fly. It's not overly priced when I search from Sofia. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully see ya there!

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Well I've got some experience with the dirty cops looking for any reason to bust you just looking for the payoff. It seems a constant on that side. Bulgaria isn't as bad but I remember Serbia was. Might be better off just to fly. It's not overly priced when I search from Sofia. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully see ya there!
In Ukraine it's fine, because the policemen genuinely just want to get paid. It's actually a very funny thing to make them go through the official process of writing you a speeding ticket. One time they pulled over my friend outside of Kiev. She was pissed because she wasn't speeding, but the policeman told her that she had crossed the center line (which wasn't painted on the road). Normally you just hand the guy 20-50 hr or a couple bucks, but she was made so she said, "write a ticket." The guy took his sweet time, just about an hour going through the process, each time asking "are you sure you want me to write this." I found the whole situation so macabre that I could only laugh.

I've also had a Ukrainian policeman tell me, "you know, down the road a bit there will be a another check point. Slow down when you see the road to X, that's where they like to catch you. Have a good day!"

The Russian police nowdays scare the crap out of me. You never know if they want money, usually a hell of a lot more than the Ukrainians do, or if they might just want to beat somebody silly for fun. They also make "paying the fine" a lot more of a pain than the Ukrainians, who usually will just take it and say have a nice day.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote