HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JT Miller and Brandon Mashinter up; Ferriero down (2/18: Mashinter up with Powe out)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 06:31 PM
  #451
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Not being sarcastic. Exactly how do they measure puck control? I would imagine it has nothing to do with what is done with the puck at the end of your control. If holding it along the boards for two seconds and then having it turned over is "better" according to this stat than having it for .3 seconds which leads to a pass that becomes a scoring chance, then I'm not sure what the value is. Educate me.
It's based on the number of shots directed towards goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Do you watch any hockey or just read all the esoteric stats after the game to determine what happened during the 60 minute tilt?
Yes I do. Your concern is noted though.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
  #452
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
It's based on the number of shots directed towards goal.


Yes I do. Your concern is noted though.
I really like the thought that instead of watching the Rangers, you scan hockey statistics all day

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
  #453
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I really like the thought that instead of watching the Rangers, you scan hockey statistics all day
I may not know what Ryan McDonagh looks like, but I sure do know his Relative Corsi.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:22 PM
  #454
Machinehead
Moderator
Purple Hayes
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,937
vCash: 500
So now Mashinter is going to play? I certainly hope Kreider gets the nod. Either play him or keep him in the minors. Pick one and stick with it.

__________________
Official 2014-15 Dan Girardi Own Goal Tally: 0

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:14 AM
  #455
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,861
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Surely they can't seriously pick him over kreider....Unless kreider is still being bothered by his ankle, then its definitely the right move.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:58 AM
  #456
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I really like the thought that instead of watching the Rangers, you scan hockey statistics all day
Advanced statistics are very helpful in aiding your view of the game. When watching a game, you can't keep track of the play while constantly being aware of every player on the ice and their current level of contribution. You still need eyes on the game to make an accurate assessment, but if what you see is reflected in the stats, it is likely correct.

I've watched every game except the premiere against Boston and the SOL against the Islanders, and my eyes told me that Kreider and Miller have been invisible and unable to create any semblance of offensive pressure apart from 1 or 2 games. Recently I looked into their adv. stats and this picture was validated.

Kreider has played extremely easy minutes, yet the Rangers have only produced 13.4 shots per 60 minutes with him on the ice. Miller is better at 20.8 against harder, but still easy competition. Compare this to Hagelin who has a SF/60 of 34.4 playing against the opposition's best.

It's actually quite amazing that they have been able to score points at all, but they are both riding unsustainable on ice shooting percentages (26.32 for Kreider, 15.38 for Miller, anything above 10 is unsustainable for anything but 1st lines), so that will likely stop unless they raise their level of play significantly.

Compare this to let's say whipping boy Brian Boyle who has created more offence (24.5 SF/60) playing much tougher minutes, but has less points due to an unsustainably low on ice sh% of 3.77.

I'm high on both players as prospects, but neither is NHL ready at this point IMO.

I honestly don't know why they didn't even hesitate to burn a year on Miller's ELC, they could've scratched him for a few games just to see if they managed without him after his 5th game.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:34 AM
  #457
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
I honestly don't know why they didn't even hesitate to burn a year on Miller's ELC, they could've scratched him for a few games just to see if they managed without him after his 5th game.
Given the lack of depth in the organization, they probably recognized that there is a high probability they would eventually recall him later on this season for another game. Given that, and if you're going to burn an entire year, might as well get as many games out of him as possible.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:36 AM
  #458
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Given the lack of depth in the organization, they probably recognized that there is a high probability they would eventually recall him later on this season for another game. Given that, and if you're going to burn an entire year, might as well get as many games out of him as possible.
I really think Torts likes the way he plays. He knows how to keep the game simple and he is already dominating along the boards. I just hope the low minutes still allow him to develop his offensive game.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
  #459
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Advanced statistics are very helpful in aiding your view of the game. When watching a game, you can't keep track of the play while constantly being aware of every player on the ice and their current level of contribution. You still need eyes on the game to make an accurate assessment, but if what you see is reflected in the stats, it is likely correct.

I've watched every game except the premiere against Boston and the SOL against the Islanders, and my eyes told me that Kreider and Miller have been invisible and unable to create any semblance of offensive pressure apart from 1 or 2 games. Recently I looked into their adv. stats and this picture was validated.

Kreider has played extremely easy minutes, yet the Rangers have only produced 13.4 shots per 60 minutes with him on the ice. Miller is better at 20.8 against harder, but still easy competition. Compare this to Hagelin who has a SF/60 of 34.4 playing against the opposition's best.

It's actually quite amazing that they have been able to score points at all, but they are both riding unsustainable on ice shooting percentages (26.32 for Kreider, 15.38 for Miller, anything above 10 is unsustainable for anything but 1st lines), so that will likely stop unless they raise their level of play significantly.

Compare this to let's say whipping boy Brian Boyle who has created more offence (24.5 SF/60) playing much tougher minutes, but has less points due to an unsustainably low on ice sh% of 3.77.

I'm high on both players as prospects, but neither is NHL ready at this point IMO.

I honestly don't know why they didn't even hesitate to burn a year on Miller's ELC, they could've scratched him for a few games just to see if they managed without him after his 5th game.
So, it's measured by shots directed at the net, not scoring chances. I can see that. Boyle throws alot of pucks in the direction of the net that have no chance of ever going in. This helps this stat and hurts his shooting percentage. At the end of the day, who cares? He is an offensive black hole and there's not a stat in the world that will convince me otherwise. The only thing that can change my opinion is his play. If he improved offensively, he improves offensively.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
  #460
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Rangers i think won that Mashinter trade even if he doesnt play much.... if Grant plays in the NHL, that team must have alot of injuries and not much depth. Grant isnt that good. i was glad he was traded.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:41 PM
  #461
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,521
vCash: 500
Mashinter looked petty good tonight. Definitely not out of place.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
  #462
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Mashinter looked petty good tonight. Definitely not out of place.
I agree. Upgrade over what we saw from Rupp

Powe, Mashinter, Ferriero, Palmieri >>> Rupp, Grant, Kolarik & a conditional pick IMO

And saves some cap.

Pretty sure Mashinter can hold his own against the nasty Heavyweights than Rupp can nowadays as well. He skates beeter too. Well played Glen (hate to say it but these 3 trades were small but good IMO)

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
  #463
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I agree. Upgrade over what we saw from Rupp

Powe, Mashinter, Ferriero, Palmieri >>> Rupp, Grant, Kolarik & a conditional pick IMO

And saves some cap.

Pretty sure Mashinter can hold his own against the nasty Heavyweights than Rupp can nowadays as well. He skates beeter too. Well played Glen (hate to say it but these 3 trades were small but good IMO)
Palmieri i think needs to get called up... remember he does have some NHL ice time with the Devils.. anyone know why he hasnt stayed up in the NHL?? he was a solid prospect for the Devils at one point...when was the last time someone scored their first NHL goal as an empty net goal






Nash with a stupid pass..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
  #464
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I agree. Upgrade over what we saw from Rupp

Powe, Mashinter, Ferriero, Palmieri >>> Rupp, Grant, Kolarik & a conditional pick IMO

And saves some cap.

Pretty sure Mashinter can hold his own against the nasty Heavyweights than Rupp can nowadays as well.
He skates beeter too. Well played Glen (hate to say it but these 3 trades were small but good IMO)


Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:59 AM
  #465
JanErixon20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Thomas has picked up his scoring down in CT. Any reason why he can't get a shot instead of calling up guys like Mashinter or those types? He can shoot the puck, might be useful on the power play.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:10 AM
  #466
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
Thomas has picked up his scoring down in CT. Any reason why he can't get a shot instead of calling up guys like Mashinter or those types? He can shoot the puck, might be useful on the power play.
He doesn't strike me as a Tortorella player.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
  #467
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
Thomas has picked up his scoring down in CT. Any reason why he can't get a shot instead of calling up guys like Mashinter or those types? He can shoot the puck, might be useful on the power play.
Can he grind along the boards? Does he know how to dump and chase? Block shots?

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
  #468
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Mashinter here to stay???? does he have to go through waivers to be sent back down??? i believe he does but i am not to sure..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
  #469
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Mashinter here to stay???? does he have to go through waivers to be sent back down??? i believe he does but i am not to sure..
I think it's 30 days since he cleared last, so you would be correct on that.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:52 PM
  #470
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think it's 30 days since he cleared last, so you would be correct on that.
i bet Sather keeps him here if he plays like he did against the Habs...i doubt Sather would risk losing him for nothing. Grant has 2 pts in 13 games since the trade

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.