HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Personally I would like to see them play Moncton as it is a closer drive. Overall it doesn't matter that much to me.

As long as Robertson is back I don't think we will see Kidd.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:23 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Neither do I...provided everyone is healthy I think they go with Desnoyers/Todd/Shutron/Wright/Priamo/Robertson.

With some spots possibly opening up on the blue-line next year it will be interesting to see if UNB will go hard after Kevin Gagne....he is from NB and has put up 58 points in 48 games so far in his overage year between Saint John and Rimouski.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Rob

I can see Gagne going pro.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:32 AM
cishockeyfan

He's very small for a defenseman at 5"8 and 175lbs, I havent seen him play before so maybe hes more physical than his stature

Old
02-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Personally I would like to see them play Moncton as it is a closer drive. Overall it doesn't matter that much to me.

Not sure I want to see UdeM. UNB won that last game of the year on two 'lazy' goals (short handed over the shoulder and a weak 5-hole shot). If not for those two mistakes - we could have been in OT.

UNB did have the shots in their favour and did hit the pipes twice, but that's all a road team needs to do to steal one.

UdeM pulled it off against Acadia tonight.

Note on UdeM/ACD - UdeM takes a penalty 17sec into the game and ACD scores at 47sec. Momentum swings all over the score sheet. UdeM 3 goals on 7 shots in the 3rd.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:57 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Acadia

They haven't been the same in the second half, falling from first to third and missing the bye. We all know that they are a very skilled team, getting lots of shots, but they have struggled in thier defensive game during the last 6 weeks. Goaltending??

Old
02-14-2013, 07:03 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
They haven't been the same in the second half, falling from first to third and missing the bye. We all know that they are a very skilled team, getting lots of shots, but they have struggled in thier defensive game during the last 6 weeks. Goaltending??
Yea its weird not sure if its bad luck or what They generate alot of shots every game outshooting an opponent 60-24 is something at any level but to lose that game? firing 70 something shots at STU but barely squeaking by.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Rob

The road game against the Panthers are now set for Monday and Tuesday. If game five is necessary it will be back here on the following Thursday. Not much time for recovery.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:41 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Any updates on injuries (Carroll, Priamo, Kidd)? We may not know until game time on Friday - just thought I would ask as I am away on business this week.

Wonder if Gordie W. is reconsidering his decision?
Why did he leave? Never heard the story behind that.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Moncton/X/UPEI in that order for me. Moncton likes to play a similar style as UNB so I think that plays in our favour....UPEI matches up well against the V-Reds this year (as evidenced by the 3 one goal games between the two) and they have the best goalie in the league so I am a bit weary of them.

I heard both Carroll and Kidd probably could have played against Moncton...so barring anything unexpected UNB should go into the playoffs with everyone healthy.
I was hoping for Moncton as well, since I could drive down to catch those games in person.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
FreddtFoyle

Josh Kidd and Tyler Carroll are both back in the lineup for tonight's game against UPEI. Antoine Houde-Caron is sitting out the 2nd game of his two-game suspension for fighting. Tim Priamo and Chad Denny are scratched tonight.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Josh Kidd and Tyler Carroll are both back in the lineup for tonight's game against UPEI. Antoine Houde-Caron is sitting out the 2nd game of his two-game suspension for fighting. Tim Priamo and Chad Denny are scratched tonight.
Just came to post this. Nice to see Carroll and Kidd both back out there.

LaCosta appears to be starting in goal.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
radapex

Looks like...

Houde-Caron in
Campbell out

Otherwise, same lineup as last night.

Last edited by radapex: 02-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Rob

Lacosta actually kept us in the game. It could have been a blowout for the Panthers if not for him.

As for the VReds power play, no comment for now.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

The word that comes to mine is 'uninspiring'.

Despite opening the scoring - they didn't capitalize, hustle or work as hard as PEI did tonight. This isn't going to be a cake walk so you better hunker down.

The 3.30min power-play in the third was the turning point. UNB can be average and suck for most of a game, but as long as they stay in it - they can win. However, that only means something if they can do it which they haven't - just 2 shots in that PP which would have tied the game.

Had it not been for Dan - the score would have been 5-2 or worse.

Time to turn it up and play hard from the start and assume the other guy isn't going to quite - ever - just like you.

Last edited by Drummer: 02-22-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 09:58 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

I take it that Chritchlow will be suspended for game 3 for checking to the head, in the last half of the third period?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I take it that Chritchlow will be suspended for game 3 for checking to the head, in the last half of the third period?
My guess is yes.

Hopefully Campbell will be back.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:37 AM
gleanerguy

Critchlow: out. Campbell; "we'll see" according to MacDougall. Gutsy call by MacPherson to start Parks. I think the Panthers' strategy to finish their checks at every opportunity may just pay off. UNB's artists panic and rush the play a bit and UPEI takes advantage of the turnovers. Not sure if "Island refereeing" comes into play now, but if the Panthers can pound them and not be penalized or kill off whatever penalties come out of it, that could be a huge turning point. Whoever comes out of it will be sore.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:41 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

PEI is extremely dangerous on the special teams. They have many quick, skilled forwards who can counter fast on the transition. They countered several times on odd man rush's, in which Lacosta had to make many tough stops. If UNB is going to continue to take careless penalties, then they will get burnt!
There wasn't much pressure inflicted down low by the V-Reds in Friday's game. Credit to the speed and physical play of the opposition.
They need more out of guys like Carroll, Culligan,Swan and a sustained forecheck on the Panthers defence!
CIS fans outside of the AUS, don't realize the skill of the Panthers. When they play to thier potential, they can move the puck as quick as a UNB and counter probably better than anyone in this conference.
UNB needs to bring thier A game, composure and strike early on the Island.
With Chritchlow out, that hurts, as they probably would have had Campbell back and Salituro sit out.
Now, I assume that Salituro will stay in the lineup. The only other option is Denny up front, but PEI has too much speed for that experiment.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:58 AM
cishockeyfan

This series feels all too familiar to the VReds, just like the University Cup loss to Western Last Year, the 5 game AUS Championchip vs StFX 2 years ago and the 3 game sweep after X ended their 27-0 run to start the season back in 2010. Teams seem to unite as a team and play a all for one game vs UNB when it counts, UNB hopefully will make adjustments, something they did not do vs Western or X in the past.

Game 3 is huge, I think after the 7-2 win UNB kinda set cruise control expecting the same for game 2. If UNB wins game 3 on the Island I expect them to be fine, if they lose Game 3 in much of the same fashion as Game 2, I think its safe to say partys over. It wont be easier over there, the crowd on their side, their is a tradition of another Doyle with the whistle to deal with as well. UNB will play more uptight than UPEI will, as the Panthers have nothing to lose.

Players who must step up, Tyler Caroll did not play well in game 2, Thomas Nesbitt is being giving a chance on the number 1 line. Someone to step on the #2 line with MacNeil and Pridham (UNB's most consistant forward this year) it cannot be Salituro or Campbell. I would like to say from his past statistics and Experience Bryce Swan would be that guy, but he is not playing well at all, and not only has a tough enough time keeping up with the Panthers skaters, he can't keep up with his own Teamates. Maybe Cam Braes comes off the 3rd line and goes on the Wing he's playing well, and Houde-Caron can Center the #3 line. And please less Ice Time to Taylor MacDougall! i know someone said UNB has been better since he returned, im pretty sure that has nothing to do with Taylor, he's a good kid, great on face-offs but thats it, he doesn't hit, he doesn't create offence, even his forecheck is standing spread legged with his arms out like a statue, its great he has long reach but at least try and actually get the puck.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:00 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Game 2

UNB had 12 penalties for a total of 43 minutes, while the Panthers had 6 penalties totalling 12 minutes.
How can they expect positive results, when you take 43 minutes in penalties in a 60 minute game?
It's a recipe for disaster!!! Panthers with 8 powerplay's including a couple of 5-3 situations, UNB with only 3 with the man advantage. Brutal!
In the Gaurdian, Forbes Macpherson speaks of the Panthers speed and energy, in which they plan on bringing to game 3-4.
Discipline Gardiner!

Old
02-23-2013, 10:03 AM
gleanerguy

Maybe Todd up front and Priamo, perhaps, on the back end. Todd made a number of skill plays...there was one play deep in the third period where he made a nice backhand pass from behind the net to MacNeil in the slot, who couldn't finish. Nesbitt misfired on a backhand chance on a pass from Culligan in the first couple of minutes of the game...there were several examples of that.
UPEI has a skilled mobile defence and, as you say, more skill up front than they are given credit for.
On the other hand, UNB had won nine a row coming in, including a 7-2 blowout the night before. Perhaps they were due for a bad one. Friday night perhaps knocked a bit of the strut out of them and they realize that it's going to be tough. It's a matter now of how you react

Old
02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
This series feels all too familiar to the VReds, just like the University Cup loss to Western Last Year, the 5 game AUS Championchip vs StFX 2 years ago and the 3 game sweep after X ended their 27-0 run to start the season back in 2010. Teams seem to unite as a team and play a all for one game vs UNB when it counts, UNB hopefully will make adjustments, something they did not do vs Western or X in the past.

Game 3 is huge, I think after the 7-2 win UNB kinda set cruise control expecting the same for game 2. If UNB wins game 3 on the Island I expect them to be fine, if they lose Game 3 in much of the same fashion as Game 2, I think its safe to say partys over. It wont be easier over there, the crowd on their side, their is a tradition of another Doyle with the whistle to deal with as well. UNB will play more uptight than UPEI will, as the Panthers have nothing to lose.

Players who must step up, Tyler Caroll did not play well in game 2, Thomas Nesbitt is being giving a chance on the number 1 line. Someone to step on the #2 line with MacNeil and Pridham (UNB's most consistant forward this year) it cannot be Salituro or Campbell. I would like to say from his past statistics and Experience Bryce Swan would be that guy, but he is not playing well at all, and not only has a tough enough time keeping up with the Panthers skaters, he can't keep up with his own Teamates. Maybe Cam Braes comes off the 3rd line and goes on the Wing he's playing well, and Houde-Caron can Center the #3 line. And please less Ice Time to Taylor MacDougall! i know someone said UNB has been better since he returned, im pretty sure that has nothing to do with Taylor, he's a good kid, great on face-offs but thats it, he doesn't hit, he doesn't create offence, even his forecheck is standing spread legged with his arms out like a statue, its great he has long reach but at least try and actually get the puck.
I agree, I hope Taylor doesn't get more ice because he's playing in front of family on the Island. That experiment backfired against Western. The more penalties they take, the more ice he will get. The Panthers scored twice on the PK. UNB used to do the same thing with a speedy PK , that had Hunter Tremblay and Dickson. Yes, those players are gone, but they had that ability to punish the opposition while killing penalties, on the transition. They don't have that with a certain player on the ice. They do with Culligan, Priham,Carroll on the ice.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

MacDougall plays on the 4th line and kills penalties...I think his ice-time is reflective of that role. He doesn't play more than the top-9 guys. I would guess he plays just as much as Fillier (who also kills penalties). Look, I'm not a huge fan of him by any means but all the hate is ridiculous. He is not the reason they lost last night or last year to Western (when he hardly played in the 3rd period despite what some like to believe).

Old
02-23-2013, 10:17 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Granted, UNB's PK has been pretty bad in both games.

The PP was back in fine form again last night as well...so frustrating to watch. Culligan shouldn't be absolved of blame either...he made a horrendous pass near the UNB blue line that directly led to the first SHG. Speaking of him...anyways get the feeling he is becoming too predictable with the puck? It seems like he has basically stopped shooting and goes for the pass every single time (as evidenced by his 4 goals this year)...any 2-on-1 he always tries to pass.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 02-23-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Closed Thread