HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howson Re-Surfaces in Edmonton

Old
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So why hire yet another body? You think bureaucracy and nepotism is good?
Because I really don't think it's a big deal. Hire another guy that did some good for you in the past. Will more than likely just be another mind to talk to and has insight on a team who has some players we could/should/have inquired on.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
A good receptionist who becomes CEO and fails, doesn't become a horrible receptionist.
Case in point, Darryl Sutter

Was a below average GM in Calgary
Resurfaced as an excellent coach in LA

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Because I really don't think it's a big deal. Hire another guy that did some good for you in the past. Will more than likely just be another mind to talk to and has insight on a team who has some players we could/should/have inquired on.
The expression "the blind leading the blind" comes to mind.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I was leaning more towards thinking this might be a good thing until I read your post. Looking at what they actually got in the trade, I really have to wonder why Howson would even go down that road.
Ya because it's sure easy to deal someone who made it public he wants a trade and restricts where you can move him. Given the situation he did better on that deal then what OTT got for Heatley.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Have you watched Oilchange?

The Oilers have as many "deepthinkers" on hire as a downsized NASA.

All this creates is more confusion and more difficulty making decisions and getting any deals/actions done in real time. Not that I have increased confidence in those decisions on the basis of hiring more dolts.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I was leaning more towards thinking this might be a good thing until I read your post. Looking at what they actually got in the trade, I really have to wonder why Howson would even go down that road.
Its just horrible. Its the Pronger deal and debacle all over. But this time in a hockey market with less chance of surviving it.

Although I'm impressed they at least flushed Howson.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
A lot of people here get hung up on the "old boys club" thing. They would rather NOT hire a former Oiler/someone with organizational ties even if they are more than qualified for the job and appear to actually care about the team.

Then, when an outsider is hired, they just cry about him too.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Lets throw some reality into this discussion. The only thing that saved the Blue Jackets from being the worst team in the league all these years is Rick Nash. The only conceivable star draw in a non hockey market like Columbus is Rick Nash. It isn't Umberger in flashing lights and I can't imagine anybody paying to see a club with that as their marquee player..

Somehow, Howson turned Rick Nash, a died in the wool class individual who seemingly wanted to spend his whole career in Columbus in building a franchise there into somebody that made the club *trade* him out of town.

So a guy who remained in Columbus for years (and who knows why) is finally convinced to leave an org that is never competitive, and never did anything. On ice the most reliably pathetic club the league has seen in decades.

Heading all this is Howson. The guy that through inaction, or inability to give Nash much of anything to work with, preceded his inevitable want out of the blue straight jacket.

This Howson. We're talking about this Howson?

This Rick Nash departure does more to sink hockey in Columbus than anything thats ever happened. Meanwhile attendance again down in one of the perennial worst hockey markets in the league. and Howson not too curiously out of a job...

who knew?
This is a similar discussion as to how people project their disdain for the GM when it isn't automatically his vision he is filling out.

Moves that are ownership driven vs. GM driven?

NYR with guys like Kovalev, Jagr, Bure.

More recently with

NJ signing Kovalchuk
MIN with Parise and Suter

CLB with the acquisitions of Jeff Carter/James Wisniewski.

The lack of action in Calgary. Any idiot could see they needed to move out their assets and rebuild...but obviously they are now stuck in perpetual suck.

Everything in NYI.

Howson may very well be a terrible GM, but I don't think you pin it all on him. You look at ownership and realize that they helped sink the franchise and Howson, good, bad or indifferent was the fall guy.

If they turn it around, it will be because JD has been given carte blanche on the hockey side with Jarmo.

That said, I have no interest in Scott Howson coming back here.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
A lot of people here get hung up on the "old boys club" thing. They would rather NOT hire a former Oiler/someone with organizational ties even if they are more than qualified for the job and appear to actually care about the team.
What organizational need would be filed by bringing Howson into the room?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Does it hurt to add another pro scout? The more minds filing a report on a particular player the better.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Have you watched Oilchange?

The Oilers have as many "deepthinkers" on hire as a downsized NASA.

All this creates is more confusion and more difficulty making decisions and getting any deals/actions done in real time. Not that I have increased confidence in those decisions on the basis of hiring more dolts.
What on earth can you really learn from watching Oil Change? Problem with that show is superfans just hang on every word said in each episode and try to twist it to meet their own pre-conceived notions.

This entire post is all just your own BS read on things based on freakin' Oil Change? Real informed.

Also, how is the way the Oilers make decisions any different from other teams? Would you rather we had a Darryl Sutter dictatorship running things?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Perhaps none. I don't even necessarily think they should hire him. But I also don't think they shouldn't hire him because he worked for the team before.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
joestevens29

Honestly Stauffer should've just shut up and said nothing. He knows what this type of announcement is going to do with this fan base. Should've told his boss don't announce anything about Howson and then when you trade for a guy that the fans like, say it was all Howson.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
What on earth can you really learn from watching Oil Change? Problem with that show is superfans just hang on every word said in each episode and try to twist it to meet their own pre-conceived notions.

This entire post is all just your own BS read on things based on freakin' Oil Change? Real informed.

Also, how is the way the Oilers make decisions any different from other teams? Would you rather we had a Darryl Sutter dictatorship running things?
The only thing I need ascertain out of that is how many people they recruit into the "war room" to make something as obvious as a decision to pick Hall, RNH, Yak.

I wasn't reading into it any more than that they have shown their over the top process many times. Its bureaucratic, I read it as that, and denote that the similar penchant for such nonsense would likely interfere with making on the spot decisions, which not too curiously, this org has trouble making.

High priced managers are hired for a reason. To have great vision and the tenacity and confidence to make good decisions. Not to hire a boardroom of people to try to assist you in making decisions because you have little demonstrable confidence in your assumed role.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:16 PM
jsho

Quote:
Honestly Stauffer should've just shut up and said nothing. He knows what this type of announcement is going to do with this fan base. Should've told his boss don't announce anything about Howson and then when you trade for a guy that the fans like, say it was all Howson.
What does Stauffer do for a living again? Why wouldn't he say something?

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
What does Stauffer do for a living again? Why wouldn't he say something?
These guys have no issue keeping things hush-hush when there is something wrong with the club, so why not just add this to the pile?

Old
02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Paralyzer008

"See thread below to see how badly he was bashed when I posted this as speculation only days ago"

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
The only thing I need ascertain out of that is how many people they recruit into the "war room" to make something as obvious as a decision to pick Hall, RNH, Yak.

I wasn't reading into it any more than that they have shown their over the top process many times. Its bureaucratic, I read it as that, and denote that the similar penchant for such nonsense would likely interfere with making on the spot decisions, which not too curiously, this org has trouble making.

High priced managers are hired for a reason. To have great vision and the tenacity and confidence to make good decisions. Not to hire a boardroom of people to try to assist you in making decisions because you have little demonstrable confidence in your assumed role.
So, you hold it against the team for seeking team input on the 1st overall pick? For goodness' sake, why? That is hardly an "on the spot" decision, so why wouldn't you look at every possible shred of info available to you? What do you think other teams do when making such decisions?

Old
02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
So, you hold it against the team for seeking team input on the 1st overall pick? For goodness' sake, why? That is hardly an "on the spot" decision, so why wouldn't you look at every possible shred of info available to you? What do you think other teams do when making such decisions?
Other teams do nothing. GM and only the GM does the work.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Other teams do nothing. GM and only the GM does the work.
What are you basing that on?

Old
02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
What are you basing that on?
I forgot the

I have zero issue bringing more bodies in. One advantage we were to have in a cap world was to invest into a lot of scouts. See more players. Another guy to go to Europe and watch the KHL playoffs or Sel playoffs while keeping the same amount of scouts in North america seems like a no brainer.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
I forgot the

I have zero issue bringing more bodies in. One advantage we were to have in a cap world was to invest into a lot of scouts. See more players. Another guy to go to Europe and watch the KHL playoffs or Sel playoffs while keeping the same amount of scouts in North america seems like a no brainer.
Oh, sorry. Thanks for clarifying.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Slats432

Quote:

So you would entrust those decisions to one or two guys instead of having insight of 10 strong hockey minds discussing picks that will impact the franchise for a decade or so?

Tyler/Taylor
Nuge/Larsson/Landeskog
Yakupov/Murray

Good managers gather information, input from all of their staff, then make the final decision based on that. They aren't the scouts, they aren't the directors of player personnel, they are the final decision makers.

Way off base here IMO.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Mr Sakich

a few things have come to mind about Howson being a potentially great short term hire.

The Blue Jackets are destined for the 1st overall pick this year unless the Flames can outsuck them. Theyt are going to be trading off some of their vets and we may have some interest if we are anywhere close to a playoff spot. Howson kows them better than anyone else.

COlumbus has been forced to rebuild through the draft and have made that a corporate priority. Howson would know just about everything the org knows abiout this years' players and the last few years. He might lead us to a gem that we were going to miss.

If the total cost for this inside information is a few hundred thousand dollars salary, we would be stupid to not hire Howson.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
a few things have come to mind about Howson being a potentially great short term hire.

The Blue Jackets are destined for the 1st overall pick this year unless the Flames can outsuck them. Theyt are going to be trading off some of their vets and we may have some interest if we are anywhere close to a playoff spot. Howson kows them better than anyone else.

COlumbus has been forced to rebuild through the draft and have made that a corporate priority. Howson would know just about everything the org knows abiout this years' players and the last few years. He might lead us to a gem that we were going to miss.

If the total cost for this inside information is a few hundred thousand dollars salary, we would be stupid to not hire Howson.
I was thinking along the same lines. Howson will be intimately familiar with CLB and who they want in the draft. This info could be valuable to the Oilers.

Also, Howson will know how the org feels about RyJo, Murray, Jenner which could be if use to the Oilers. He would also know who the org is high on and not. CLB has a few players that I would love on the Oil

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote