HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Murphy called up?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Even if he's better than Sangs, McBain, Jordan?
I'm not sure there will be enough time to truly evaluate that before his emergency call up eligibility is over.

02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Honestly he COULD help the team tonight. He's more likely to be a gigantic liability but even if he plays well and helps the team, he's going back to juniors before they burn a year off his ELC.
I honestly don't know what to expect.

He could skate circles around the Jets. They aren't the fastest team in the League, by any means.

Or he can generate nothing, and be a compete liability defensively, as you said.

All that's certain, is the Jets fans watching this game will most likely leave with a similar view of Murphy they came in with.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
I honestly don't know what to expect.

He could skate circles around the Jets. They aren't the fastest team in the League, by any means.

Or he can generate nothing, and be a compete liability defensively, as you said.

All that's certain, is the Jets fans watching this game will most likely leave with a similar view of Murphy they came in with.
He could look competent in comparison to Jordan and Sanguinetti which could confuse Jets fans into thinking he doesn't suck.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:12 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
As I recall, they brought him up after his junior year ended, so he technically wasn't a mid junior season call up. At least I think that's what Chuck was getting at.
I'm sure they did do that, but I'm pretty positive they brought him up in the middle of that season for three games and sent him back. It's how I know about the emergency call up. Whenever I hear that happening I think of giggy as a kid getting called up like that. I had no idea they could do it till then.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I honestly don't think they *can* keep Murphy.... regardless of what he does up here. I know that emergency recalls usually go back down as soon as possible. Brayden Schenn for the Kings and Sven Bartschi for the Flames. In Bartschi's case, he was ripping it up. I bet they would have loved to keep him up.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
bleedgreen

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Giguere/Giguere_bio.html

Kind of proof. His first nhl win was in December. He played junior that year so it wasn't an extended audition or a late call up. With Burke and muzzatti they had no intention of using him yet. I remember that Philly game, it was a miracle we won/tied maybe. Can't find the one link but I'm telling y'all it was an emergency injury call up from junior.

And if memory serves vagrant is right, I don't think we can keep him either unless its for injury purposes.
http://m.hkref.com/m?p=XXboxscoresXX199612280HAR.html
Here's one game he played in December, it wasn't a late season call up. He lost the Philly game. Won in Ottawa.

Checked em all, he played in early dec through early jan, was mostly backing up muzzatti. When Burke came back in jan giggy doesn't appear again. Emergency junior call up.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 02-21-2013 at 04:54 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

rookie of the year,, finally good pp qb we need it badly on our pp

he's going to make mcbain expendable

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:04 AM
TheBigKahuna

Too bad he can't stay in the NHL.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Giguere/Giguere_bio.html

Kind of proof. His first nhl win was in December. He played junior that year so it wasn't an extended audition or a late call up. With Burke and muzzatti they had no intention of using him yet. I remember that Philly game, it was a miracle we won/tied maybe. Can't find the one link but I'm telling y'all it was an emergency injury call up from junior.

And if memory serves vagrant is right, I don't think we can keep him either unless its for injury purposes.
http://m.hkref.com/m?p=XXboxscoresXX199612280HAR.html
Here's one game he played in December, it wasn't a late season call up. He lost the Philly game. Won in Ottawa.

Checked em all, he played in early dec through early jan, was mostly backing up muzzatti. When Burke came back in jan giggy doesn't appear again. Emergency junior call up.

Both me and Chuck were wrong about something Whaler related? WTF is this world coming to?

Edit: I went to one of the games (I was 11) and couldn't figure out why the goalie in warm ups had red pads.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
rookie of the year,, finally good pp qb we need it badly on our pp

he's going to make mcbain expendable
Even if McBain stays, next year's D looks better when you look at Harrison-Murphy as the bottom pairing:
Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain
Harrison-Murphy

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:38 AM
CanesAvs16

I really enjoyed watching Murphy play last night. I'm excited to (hopefully) see him in the lineup next season. If not at least he will be playing for the Checkers and getting a few call ups i'm sure

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
TheBigKahuna

Murphy HAS to go back to the OHL as soon as any one of Pitkanen, Gleason or McBain come back from injury. Pitkanen was rumored to be ready yesterday. I doubt he misses any games this weekend.

Murphy still shows some promise, but he's still too small in my opinion. I don't think he's 5-11 as listed either. He'll need to put on 15-20 pounds before he plays regular NHL minutes.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
La Huracanista

They let Murphy play 20 minutes of fun hockey. I don't want him to put on weight or anything like that because that will harm his greatest strength (his skating). Murphy is what he is, but he could be great at what he is.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
They let Murphy play 20 minutes of fun hockey. I don't want him to put on weight or anything like that because that will harm his greatest strength (his skating). Murphy is what he is, but he could be great at what he is.

I thought it was interesting that Muller told him, "just go out there and do your thing, play offense, don't worry about the defensive game."

Not that his defensive game was terrible or anything, but it needs work. Dave Lewis will be good for Murphy next year, when he finally gets here.

But I disagree about his size.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
But I disagree about his size.
Yep. If he does a decent job of spreading out that muscle, with a bit of concentration in his thighs/core, he won't lose any speed as long as he keeps the weight gain to 10-20 pounds.

I think if he legit gains 5 pounds he's an NHLer, with the rest coming while he's here.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Yeah, so long as it's done right I wouldn't worry about the speed. But holy cow, if he could bulk up some in the off-season and add some size/physicality to his stick skills and speed...

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
bobber

The CHL is considered the top junior league in the world. Right now Murphy has to be one of the top skating D men in Canada or anywhere else.

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Even if McBain stays, next year's D looks better when you look at Harrison-Murphy as the bottom pairing:
Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain
Harrison-Murphy
I've come around on this defense crew after watching a few other games lately. Relative to what a lot of other teams are running out there, this bunch is decent and the top 3 guys are about as good as you could realistically hope for.

Would prefer to see McBain+whatever flipped for a veteran shot-blocker (Hannan?) but you're right, even if he stays he'll at least have the benefit of another year of experience.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

With both Gleason and Pitkanen skating today...

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes
Quote:
To answer a few questions at once, should Gleason or Pitkanen play tomorrow, Murphy has to be returned to Kitchener.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Anton View Post
Yeah, so long as it's done right I wouldn't worry about the speed. But holy cow, if he could bulk up some in the off-season and add some size/physicality to his stick skills and speed...

He needs to join his old team mate at Gary Roberts summer camp. Skinner has put on a lot of muscle, and they really concentrate on core strength! Skinner is as fast if not faster today, then he was 2 years ago. He might not know what month it is, but he skates pretty well, despite adding 20 pounds of muscle!

Old
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
He needs to join his old team mate at Gary Roberts summer camp. Skinner has put on a lot of muscle, and they really concentrate on core strength! Skinner is as fast if not faster today, then he was 2 years ago. He might not know what month it is, but he skates pretty well, despite adding 20 pounds of muscle!
Heck yeah! I thought of exactly that after what I'd posted, too. Imagine what he could be like if he came to camp buffed up from training with Roberts!

Would love to see a lot of the haters eating crow next season.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:58 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Both me and Chuck were wrong about something Whaler related?
Credit to the man. He doesn't bleed green for nothing.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:40 PM
WWAD

Erik Karlsson was listed at 165 when he was drafted, and is now listed at 187, so packing on 20 pounds over a few seasons shouldn't hurt Murphy's speed if done smartly.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:47 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
Yep. Murphy is already roughly the same size as Tobias Enstrom, and they play a similar game. The stance that he must put on 20 lbs. or so to be an NHL player is far from a fact. His primary focus needs to be on positional D and decision-making not packing on pounds.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:05 PM
geehaad

The issue isn't whether or not he side-steps hits, it's what he does when he avoids a hit. Last night, I only saw one instance where it didn't work for him, and more often than not, not only did it work, it worked well.

Only one game, so I won't read too much into it, but he didn't come out of that with a ton of red flags, and that's a great thing to say of the first NHL game for a defenseman who is labeled as a puck-mover.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote