Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Isn't that what he is supposed to do? Make changes to keep your ratings up.

And what is wrong with entertaining an older audience?
Nothing is wrong with it, but in terms of advertising dollars, the companies that pay want the elusive (to WEEI) 25-54 age bracket since that's where they get the most bang for their advertising dollars. WEEI is skewing higher and they can't charge a premium for that...

Old
02-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
As a regular D&C listener, I think Kirk is as good a fit as they were going to find. I personally enjoy cynicism spewed on the radio, so this is right up my ally. Vanilla interviews, and comedy bits can only entertain for so long.
Exactly which is why you would think EEI would kill them in the ratings but the product is so awful that they are getting killed by a couple of sports yahoos.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Hnidy Hnight

I'll give Minihane credit for this as well. He's not scared of confrontation for things he says and writes. Has Felger's DNA in a lot of ways.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Exactly which is why you would think EEI would kill them in the ratings but the product is so awful that they are getting killed by a couple of sports yahoos.
D&C loses a bunch of radio ratings due to nesn simulcast. Same with Felger and Mazz, which really highlights how dead in the water the big show really was.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
I'll give Minihane credit for this as well. He's not scared of confrontation for things he says and writes. Has Felger's DNA in a lot of ways.
Reminds me of when he was on Sports Tonight and Haggs was having a hissy fit because Kirk wrote an article on Tim Thomas. Kirk stood right up to him.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

I wonder if a sports radio station could help their ratings by....talking sports??!!

You know, as opposed to say...discussing their favorite members of Wu Tang Clan, for instance.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Reminds me of when he was on Sports Tonight and Haggs was having a hissy fit because Kirk wrote an article on Tim Thomas. Kirk stood right up to him.
Forgot about that. I was thinking more of the Jack Edwards critique on the Saturday show. I like Edwards, I really enjoy listening to him both as an announcer and a studio guest on WEEI. So even though I disagreed with Minihane, it was a bit different and refreshing to get away from the media ballwashing each other.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Open Ice

I tuned into Mut and Lou for about five seconds yesterday. When I realized they were talking about the NY Jets salary cap, that was it for that car ride.

Today we get Mut's transcendent question: "who do you think's that player who we have high hopes for but might let ya down?" Merloni goes with Dubront and Mut goes with Ortiz. Yay.

My jaded hockey fan/radio listener brain continues to scream into the desolate wilderness: how can this speculative baseball minutia be more interesting than "mid" season Bruins hockey talk? How? How? How?

Old
02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
I tuned into Mut and Lou for about five seconds yesterday. When I realized they were talking about the NY Jets salary cap, that was it for that car ride.

Today we get Mut's transcendent question: "who do you think's that player who we have high hopes for but might let ya down?" Merloni goes with Dubront and Mut goes with Ortiz. Yay.

My jaded hockey fan/radio listener brain continues to scream into the desolate wilderness: how can this speculative baseball minutia be more interesting than "mid" season Bruins hockey talk? How? How? How?
I have been accused of waving the battle flag for WEEI but my distaste for this show is beyond measure. With Mutt being Mutt and Lou not the brightest bulb in the batch. Lou has referred to Asia as a country and believes that there is such a thing of ordering a steak Rare Plus.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
I have been accused of waving the battle flag for WEEI but my distaste for this show is beyond measure. With Mutt being Mutt and Lou not the brightest bulb in the batch. Lou has referred to Asia as a country and believes that there is such a thing of ordering a steak Rare Plus.
Could be worse. Lou could be Gresh, which equals not being the brightest bulb, but claim to be in the most grating voice possible.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Trying to come up with new names for the "revamped" D+C show with legendary microphone tough guy Kirk Minihane added to the mix.

- "White, Whiter, and Whitest" - Callahan approved there

- Walk D.M.C. - though i suppose references to Run DMC at this point skews a bit old, but it would work the first letter of their last names in.

And I say all this as a guy who often enjoys that show, mainly because the regular guests they have on are far superior to 98.5. I am under no illusions that I will get any Bruins from them.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Could be worse. Lou could be Gresh, which equals not being the brightest bulb, but claim to be in the most grating voice possible.
Listening to Gresh and Zo talk hockey today, I think its best they dont. They suck at it.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
That's right! I completely forgot about that. Wasn't the reason Haggs was so mad because he felt that Kirk knew nothing about hockey and he was overstepping his boundaries?

All I remember from that fit was Haggs saying, "Kirk, how many times have you been in the Bruins locker-room?" Obviously the answer was none, since I doubt Kirk has even been to a Bruins game, but then he silenced Haggs by asking, "Well, Joe, how many times have you been in the Redsox locker-room? Or the Celtics?"

Old
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Listening to Gresh and Zo talk hockey today, I think its best they dont. They suck at it.
Good point, although Gresh's background is in football, and he sucks talking about that as well.

They should replace him with Flynn.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:45 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Good point, although Gresh's background is in football, and he sucks talking about that as well.

They should replace him with Flynn.
In fairness to Gresh, he did play division 3 ball, for a bad team. So he clearly has no clue about football either.

Guy is a blow hard with zero understanding of any sport. His whole schtick is to say something so incoherently stupid that people call in to disagree. He's basically a radio troll.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
That's right! I completely forgot about that. Wasn't the reason Haggs was so mad because he felt that Kirk knew nothing about hockey and he was overstepping his boundaries?

All I remember from that fit was Haggs saying, "Kirk, how many times have you been in the Bruins locker-room?" Obviously the answer was none, since I doubt Kirk has even been to a Bruins game, but then he silenced Haggs by asking, "Well, Joe, how many times have you been in the Redsox locker-room? Or the Celtics?"
Yep...then haggs went the mature route and spewed garbage all over his twitter about how Kirk lives in his parents basement and blah blah blah.

Best line from Kirk was "why don't you just stick to giggling with Seguin." So awesome.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:58 AM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Yep...then haggs went the mature route and spewed garbage all over his twitter about how Kirk lives in his parents basement and blah blah blah.

Best line from Kirk was "why don't you just stick to giggling with Seguin." So awesome.
I'm surprised that Haggs didn't ask him if he even knew who Seguin was.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Listening to Gresh and Zo talk today, I think its best they dont. They suck at it.
Fixed that for you. No need to be specific about hockey.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Felger complaining about the size of goalie equipment again, and frankly I have to tend to agree with him.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Felger complaining about the size of goalie equipment again, and frankly I have to tend to agree with him.
I could see that. I do not like the idea of enlarging the nets however.

It really isn't about the total number of goals scored in my mind. It's more about the flow/lace of the play. Brilliant goalie play can be exciting too. We all remember the 1-0 game 7 against Tampa as being one of the best games we have ever seen, but it was a crisply played game with no penalties and great chances/goaltending at both ends.

I could care less about goals scored, just give me an intense game with few penalties & constant action.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:19 PM
HortonHearsAWoo
In the pipe, 5-on-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
It really isn't about the total number of goals scored in my mind. It's more about the flow/lace of the play. Brilliant goalie play can be exciting too. We all remember the 1-0 game 7 against Tampa as being one of the best games we have ever seen, but it was a crisply played game with no penalties and great chances/goaltending at both ends.
But on the other hand, you have Game 6 of the 2008 ECQF.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:46 AM
sarge88

Quote:

Quote:
I listen to EEI exclusively for sports, primarily because there is nobody on the other station that I can stomach. Lou has gotten much better and since I enjoy baseball and football as much as hockey, I like to hear Lou talk baseball, because he knows his stuff. They also have some great football guests, so that keeps me interested. As for the rare plus debate...it does exist but the differentiation is so subtle, most people couldn't tell the difference and it only matters in certain cuts of meat. Long story short.. The correct way to cook a steak rare is to only have one side of the meat touch the cooking surface and take it off when the inside is red and bloody. It should be placed on the plate with the side that didn't touch the cooking surface faced down. For rare plus, the inside is cooked just about the same but both sides touch the cooking surface. At least that's what I saw on Bobby Flay's show.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:51 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SeaBass08 View Post
Fixed that for you. No need to be specific about hockey.
Zo is okay. He's just the goofy ex player who brings nonsensical energy. If he were paired with a decent co-host, he'd be fine. The problem is they paired him with the biggest blowhard in the world, so he's guilty by association.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Shaun

Dale and Holley reunion show right now on EEI.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Dale and Holley reunion show right now on EEI.
Good stuff, thanks. They haven't missed a beat chemistry wise.

Closed Thread