HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Defensive Defensemen to MIN

Old
02-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

vCash: 500
I think the Pens would take a good long look at Coyle for Despres. Although if we were trading Coyle, I'd want him part of a package for a big name guy.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:48 AM
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Why the **** would you offer this? Cullen's done, PMB's head is jelly, and Kassian goes through waivers twice a day.
Why not ? If Cullen is done you can say same to Murray(0+1 -2 32y) and Clowe (0+6 -1 30y). Cullen (1+5 -1 36y) have more skating and puckskills than Clowe but is less physical. PMB (2+1 +2 28y) is little risk cause his injury history but this season he has shown that injurys are in history. You have nice defenders in your system and i think you need more speed to your offense, and you guys are offering these two around the boards, both doesnt have contract to next year. I think this might be win-win situation.
I put Kassian there cause we dont need him i just want to be friendly to give you physical asset for bottom6. That can be Mitchell or some b-class defender too.

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
What about Charlie Coyle + Marco Scandella = Despres?

Coyle gives you a talented young winger and Scandella can play depth minutes to patch up any hole Despres might leave. He also has second pairing potential.
Why would the Wild do this?

AKL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centcougar07 View Post
Eastern Conference fans seem to always have an inflated idea of the value of their players. More so than just any other fans. Weird.
Edmonton alone nullifies this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
I think the Pens would take a good long look at Coyle for Despres. Although if we were trading Coyle, I'd want him part of a package for a big name guy.
I think this is the key issue here. Pens fans feel the same about Despres & Morrow so while some will see it as Pens fans overvaluing their prospects, it's really just that if they're going to be traded many of us would just as soon see them included in a package for an upgrade that is a long term solution.

Honest question about Scandella - why does it seem like he's the Wild equivalent of Tyler Kennedy being thrown into nearly every proposal? Is he underperforming, does he need a change of scenery, cap dump, etc.?

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post

Honest question about Scandella - why does it seem like he's the Wild equivalent of Tyler Kennedy being thrown into nearly every proposal? Is he underperforming, does he need a change of scenery, cap dump, etc.?
I'm not entirely sure why some Wild fans are seemingly eager to trade Scandella. Maybe it just Wild fans trying to set up something to get Depres from y'all as the Seto and PMB scenarios don't seem to be going over too well in Steel City. I dunno. He has the skillset, but been fairly inconsistent in his times up with the club. I think that is to be expected from a 23 year old Dman. Me personally I want to take the long view with him and see how he pans out. He has fair size 6'2" 200lb or so. In the minors and juniors he has shown to have a pretty nasty mean streak to him. Good skater and will willingly jump in front of any hurtling puck. I think that how he injured himself last season. In other words, my kind of defenseman, aside from the getting a puck sized boo boo. So I'm not in the trade Scandy camp, unless he is part of a package for a serious upgrade. He'll probably top out as a second pairing defenseman. I think him and Gilbert could make for a good pairing as he smooths out his game. That's just my non-professional scouting opinion of the dude.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post

The problem with Scandella is his inconsistency right now, leading to him being the odd man out due to him having a two-way contract. When he's on though, he's one of the Wild's top four defenseman, and shows potential to be better than he is now, IMO.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Despres shouldn't be moved right now - especially not for Seto + PMB. Not Coyle either.

I'd think about Seto + Clutterbuck for Orpik.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:56 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post

I'll take my Clutterbuck and Setoguchi package elsewhere then.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:34 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Phillips, while intriguing, would probably have to be combined in a larger trade. By himself I don't think he would bring enough in a trade.
Would a deal based around Phillips for Gunnarsson be of any interest? It could be easily expanded on either (or both) side(s).

Gunnarsson is defensively responsible and can pitch in offensively. He's also a good puck-mover and skater. He's not flashy, but he is reliable and doesn't make many mistakes.

Furthermore, Gunnarsson is still relatively young and cost-effective.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
Would a deal based around Phillips for Gunnarsson be of any interest? It could be easily expanded on either (or both) side(s).

Gunnarsson is defensively responsible and can pitch in offensively. He's also a good puck-mover and skater. He's not flashy, but he is reliable and doesn't make many mistakes.

Furthermore, Gunnarsson is still relatively young and cost-effective.
If I were the Wild gm, I would totally do that.

Gunnarsson would be a good upgrade for us in our 5-6 slot.

Phillips would hopefully develop well, and could potentially be a nice forward in the next year or two.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
I'm not entirely sure why some Wild fans are seemingly eager to trade Scandella. Maybe it just Wild fans trying to set up something to get Depres from y'all as the Seto and PMB scenarios don't seem to be going over too well in Steel City. I dunno. He has the skillset, but been fairly inconsistent in his times up with the club. I think that is to be expected from a 23 year old Dman. Me personally I want to take the long view with him and see how he pans out. He has fair size 6'2" 200lb or so. In the minors and juniors he has shown to have a pretty nasty mean streak to him. Good skater and will willingly jump in front of any hurtling puck. I think that how he injured himself last season. In other words, my kind of defenseman, aside from the getting a puck sized boo boo. So I'm not in the trade Scandy camp, unless he is part of a package for a serious upgrade. He'll probably top out as a second pairing defenseman. I think him and Gilbert could make for a good pairing as he smooths out his game. That's just my non-professional scouting opinion of the dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
The problem with Scandella is his inconsistency right now, leading to him being the odd man out due to him having a two-way contract. When he's on though, he's one of the Wild's top four defenseman, and shows potential to be better than he is now, IMO.
Makes sense and yeah, some inconsistency is probably to be expected from a 23 year old D-man. Thanks.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:27 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I would do Clutter for Maatta straight up.
Done. I'll have my people fax the paper work over to your people.

Presser in about 2 hours sound ok to you?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

Setoguchi for Despres is the only realistic and balanced trade I can see between the Wild and Pens. Other than that I don't see anything much each team would want from the other, other than stars like Malkin, Crosby, Parise, Suter, Coyle etc.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseSuterKoivu View Post
Setoguchi for Despres is the only realistic and balanced trade I can see between the Wild and Pens. Other than that I don't see anything much each team would want from the other, other than stars like Malkin, Crosby, Parise, Suter, Coyle etc.
Serious question and I want an honest answer. If the roles were reversed and you had Despres and needed a top six forward, would you trade a young 21-year old D man with a high ceiling - one that has displayed it this year, for Seto as he is now?

OK - lets flip it. We have Seto and want to trade him to Minnesota for Brodin. Do you do it? That is what you are asking Pittsburgh to do when you put in Despres. I don't think you would touch Brodin for Seto.

It's not a balanced deal for Pittsburgh really.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:32 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Despres shouldn't be moved right now - especially not for Seto + PMB. Not Coyle either.

Orpik has more value to Pittsburgh as it stands now than those two would and I'm a big fan of Clutterbuck. What exactly are your D pairing then if you do it? Everything goes out of whack.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Serious question and I want an honest answer. If the roles were reversed and you had Despres and needed a top six forward, would you trade a young 21-year old D man with a high ceiling - one that has displayed it this year, for Seto as he is now?

OK - lets flip it. We have Seto and want to trade him to Minnesota for Brodin. Do you do it? That is what you are asking Pittsburgh to do when you put in Despres. I don't think you would touch Brodin for Seto.

If we had 6 high end D prospects? Probably not Brodin, as he has extreme high end upside and is already our 2nd best D. But would probably trade one of the 2-4 of the high end D prospects.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Pittsburgh doesn't see that as balanced at all. It also doesn't address the OP's proposal, which is for a defensive defenseman. Despres isn't a stay-at-home type of guy.

Also not to be a jerk but I wouldn't lump Coyle in with the other names you mentioned. He's not a star. Prospect-wise Coyle and Despres are more or less a wash where you'd pick one or the other depending on the needs of your team.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:

I wouldn't trade Brodin for anything less than ridiculous overpayment.

Brodin is a 19 year old playing 22 minutes a game, and is our most consistent Dman. While I don't doubt that Despres has played well and has a high ceiling, comparing the trade values of the two is not the same.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:46 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Orpik has more value to Pittsburgh as it stands now than those two would and I'm a big fan of Clutterbuck. What exactly are your D pairing then if you do it? Everything goes out of whack.
Despres-Letang
Niskanen-Martin
Bortuzzo-Engelland

Not bad, if we need another defensive defenseman we can see how Dumoulin is doing.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Uncomparable. Brodin is a top pairing defenseman at 19. Depres isn't even your highest rated D prospect so I wouldn't say he is untouchable.

Wild/Pens threads are a broken record. Quit proposing Seto/Bouchard every single day to Pittsburgh because the majority of Pens fans don't want them.

/End Thread

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
I wouldn't trade Brodin for anything less than ridiculous overpayment.

Brodin is a 19 year old playing 22 minutes a game, and is our most consistent Dman. While I don't doubt that Despres has played well and has a high ceiling, comparing the trade values of the two is not the same.

Bottom line, its basically the same. You value Brodin like lot of Penguin fans value Despres. I think its a fair question. They are both considered two-way, mobile defensemen with high ceilings. Despres is a future top pair D man who looked very good with Letang in Niskanen's absence and has play-off experience too boot, where he was maybe the best defender we had against the Flyers - and that includes Letang, Orpik, Martin, et al.

Last edited by OCPenguin: 02-21-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
What about Charlie Coyle + Marco Scandella = Despres?

Coyle gives you a talented young winger and Scandella can play depth minutes to patch up any hole Despres might leave. He also has second pairing potential.
Penguins would move Niskanen before Despres. I'm sure Niskanen wouldn't mind coming back "home."

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Realistic is Niskanen for Setoguchi, not Despres. The fact that you think Despres is of equal value to Setoguchi in a trade shows how little you know about A. Simon Despres, and B. Matt Niskanen and C. Devin Setoguchi.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Why would the Wild do this?
Because is lacking in talented youngsters on the blueline, and Despres gives them a NHL ready prospect that has good potential to be in a top four.

Coyle is the prospect you have to give up to get a talented guy like Despres, but the Wild can afford it with the depth they have in young forwards. Scandella, while decent, is inconsistent and looks to be at best a #3-4 defenseman.

Despres gives a mix of upside and safety in a prospect that is extremely valuable.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:54 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Bottom line, its basically the same. You value Brodin like lot of Penguin fans value Despres. I think its a fair question. They are both considered two-way, mobile defensemen with high ceilings. Despres is a future top pair D man who looked very good with Letang in Niskanen's absence and has play-off experience too boot, where he was maybe the best defender we had against the Flyers - and that includes Letang, Orpik, Martin, et al.
I've been avoiding taking too much part in this thread, because it's just a cycle, but this comparison is wrong.

You guys value Despres a lot, as you should. He has strong potential, is playing well, and some day really might turn into a top 1-2 guy.

Brodin IS a top 1-2 guy already. That's what's scary about him. He is something special, and this is not just because I am a Wild fan, this comes from almost anyone who watches him for a game or two.

These two are not the same. I'm not trying to be defensive about this, but this is not a fair comparison. This would be like comparing our Coyle, to say Taresenko. It's not comparable. Coyle has great upside and potential to be a good first line winger, but Taresenko has the potential to be a real star and something unique in this league.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote