HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What about Gionta?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2013, 01:32 PM
  #176
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate
 
Slew Foots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not hard to figure out, when Galchenyuk and Gallagher play against top lines they struggle to get out of their own end. When they get easier matchups they put up points.

Gionta is the opposite of unidimensional, he can gelp the team without scoring goals. He works his bag off, is strong defensively, impeccable work ethic, very good leader and can play both special teams.

So far the only fixture on the PP is Markov, the rest is interchangeable.
No, I'm saying he is offensively unidimensional.

I already said that I agree about him having a good defensive game, a good work ethic, solid leadership qualities, and being solid on the PK. Sure he can play the PP, just not well. And that's where I disagree with you; I believe there are other forwards who should be playing PP ahead of him: Plekanec, Bourque, Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Desharnais and maybe even Cole.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
  #177
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What was the reason when after his 1st season, he had the same number of points....in 20ish more games? What was the reason when the season after that prior to his injury, he was going on a even less productive season? And again, working your tail off, being a great leader and good defensively...I'd take that any day of the week on a 3rd line.

I just think he will not improve. That he's on his way down while other players we have in the lineup that doesn't get his icetime are on their way up and we could be an even better team if we'd used them more. That's all.
I would think Gomez going from a 59 to 38 to 11 probably had a big effect on Gionta's point totals. Gionta's has always been more of a complementary player on his line as opposed to the guy who generates the offence. So he will be highly reliant on other players production.

Most 0.5ppg players are going to be paid around 3-4m, because of his leadership & defensive abilities he probably should be closer to 4m. So we are paying an extra million because he was UFA. Not really the end of the world. Subban being underpayed for the next 2 years more than covers it.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
  #178
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
No, I'm saying he is offensively unidimensional.

I already said that I agree about him having a good defensive game, a good work ethic, solid leadership qualities, and being solid on the PK. Sure he can play the PP, just not well. And that's where I disagree with you; I believe there are other forwards who should be playing PP ahead of him: Plekanec, Bourque, Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Desharnais and maybe even Cole.
Bourque has the same number of points in pretty much the same number of PP minutes. Cole is even worse than he is. The Gally's have played 20 and 30 minutes on the PP this year and haven't gotten a point yet. Gionta's getting a point every 17-18 mins.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:09 PM
  #179
Maelpj*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Bourque has the same number of points in pretty much the same number of PP minutes. Cole is even worse than he is. The Gally's have played 20 and 30 minutes on the PP this year and haven't gotten a point yet. Gionta's getting a point every 17-18 mins.
Gionta play in the first wave of PP with Markov and PK Subban and got most of his point when Markov/ The PP was in fire.

When the gally play on the PP, its with 30 sec left, , second wave D-Man , not enough time to start something solid the offensive zone. They still get some chances.

If you think Gionta is showing better things OFFENSIVELY on the PP than the Gally, you might be a little bit sold on the guy wearing the C, or a family member of him. The dude is invisible.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
  #180
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
I would think Gomez going from a 59 to 38 to 11 probably had a big effect on Gionta's point totals. Gionta's has always been more of a complementary player on his line as opposed to the guy who generates the offence. So he will be highly reliant on other players production.

Most 0.5ppg players are going to be paid around 3-4m, because of his leadership & defensive abilities he probably should be closer to 4m. So we are paying an extra million because he was UFA. Not really the end of the world. Subban being underpayed for the next 2 years more than covers it.
I think he is more of a .6 or .65 player but the long layoff(missed half of last year + lock out) and no camp definitely affects his numnbers.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
  #181
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
To all Gionta's defenders: Nobody would prefer to have another second round pick + take the Gionta money to sign Clowe next season?

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
  #182
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
To all Gionta's defenders: Nobody would prefer to have another second round pick + take the Gionta money to sign Clowe next season?
Clowe is high mileage and highly overrated. He makes hal Gill look fast.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
  #183
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Do you even know what an invalid argument is? There is no flaw in his argument form, because it was stated as a subjective opinion. When it comes down to opinion, how could his premises be true while his conclusion be false? Before you rip on a guy, know what you're talking about.
Oh boy kiddo, you took a PHIL101 course and you don't even understand validity and soundness yet?

Yes I know what an invalid argument is and subjective obeservations are different than opinions and they are built on a series of assertions*. I'm saying his conclusion that "Gionta is doing fine" (I'm paraphrasing, I'm drunk) is invalid following his previous assertion that he's not scoring all that much.

For 5m a year, PP time and top-line minutes I expect more than "defensive soundness" to consider someone as "doing fine"

*If you'd like I can elaborate on argument structure and basic logical rules as I've come to study/understand them.

But not now. I'm drinking awful Johnnie Walker red, and I have to finish it. Yuck.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:06 PM
  #184
billy piton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
To all Gionta's defenders: Nobody would prefer to have another second round pick + take the Gionta money to sign Clowe next season?
with gomez and kaberle off the books, the habs will have more than 12m under the cap with 16 players signed, and no one really important to re-sign. bergevin could easily offer someone like getzlaf 8m per year, let alone sign clowe. the capspace is not an issue so there is no reason to trade valuable vetereans like cole and gionta. scoring depth is good, and capspace&picks can't win you games. we already have enough picks this summer.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
  #185
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
with gomez and kaberle off the books, the habs will have more than 12m under the cap with 16 players signed, and no one really important to re-sign. bergevin could easily offer someone like getzlaf 8m per year, let alone sign clowe. the capspace is not an issue so there is no reason to trade valuable vetereans like cole and gionta. scoring depth is good, and capspace&picks can't win you games. we already have enough picks this summer.
Kaberle is signed for next year too.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #186
billy piton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Kaberle is signed for next year too.
i'm pretty sure that he will be traded/waived/bought out.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
  #187
CTHabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
That was absolutly not the initial proposition of this thread. I personnaly never state that gionta was sucking, and I just presupposed that some GMs may like his intangibles enough in a Cup run to give an interesting return in a trade. It's all pretty far from your assessment.

I'm starting to be sick to read so much "you don't know hockey...", "that's plain stupid...", and other direct or indirect insults every time there is a discussion on this board.

There are solid arguments in this thread, both ways. Why not keeping it at that?
Why do you think that there are GMs who may like Gionta's "intangibles" and Marc Bergevin is not one of those GMs? Why should Gionta be traded to another team for a Cup run when the Canadiens currently reside in first place?

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
  #188
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
My eyeballs tell me that whole line is playing well not just Bourque and Plekanec. It's not a small coincidence that MT has had that line together basically all year and changed the others many times.
Gionta is not playing bad like Cole plays bad or like DD played bad.

The problem is mainly that plays tend to die on his stick.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:23 PM
  #189
Bask
Embellishing User
 
Bask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Gionta is not playing bad like Cole plays bad or like DD played bad.

The problem is mainly that plays tend to die on his stick.
this sums it up pretty well

the heart is still there I think, but the body won't follow

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
  #190
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
At the beginning of the season, I was hoping for 3. Moen – Eller – Gionta as our tough minutes eating line so, here and here alone (!), I agree with you. A 3rd line of Prust – Eller – Gionta would be great!

However Galchenyuk needs ice-time and sheltered minutes so we need to spread our forces on 4 lines. Playing Gionta on 3rd (Galchenyuk is not ready to assume top 2 lines duties and he can’t play on 4th because he needs TOI) with Galchenyuk in a sheltered role would be a waste of Gionta's sound two ways play imo. Right now Eller is a better player than 19 years old Galchenyuk but I totally understand why they kept him with the big club and mid/long terms, it will pay dividend... to the team, Galchenyuk and Eller.

When you wrote “... you actually have to let them be on their way up...”, I guess you were referring to Gionta “obstructing” the way to Eller, right? Well here I disagree again! Eller is growing right before our eyes and he is currently playing his best hockey since he joined us. His play on 3rd/4th often is the main reason why we win games: our bottom lines are better than most of our opponents’ bottom lines with Eller in the line up.

Long story short:

19 years old Galchenyuk is learning
Elller, another young player, is playing his best hockey since joining us
Plekanec’s line is doing a great job
The team is winning

I like the mix and depth upfront but I sure don’t think that everything is perfect. You are right: looking for ways to improve must be a continuous process. I just don’t think that Gionta is on top of the list of priorities. In fact, I think he isn't on the freakin' list!
Not sure I get this. Gionta STRONG 2-WAY PLAY would be a waste alongside a young and still learning Galchenyuk on a 3rd line? How is that? Wouldn't Galchenyuk learn from Gionta? Wouldn't Gionta repair some of the defensive blunders that Gally will make? If Gionta does have an offensive game as some will like to believe...wouldn't he be contributing with Gally? And for some who hopes more offensive like me...wouldn't play with a younger guy like Gally be even profitable for Gionta? I really don't get your point.

And a Eller who is now shining...couldn't he shine even more with guys like Pleks and Bourque. Why limit yourself to see what the ceiling of this or that player can be? And the fact that Eller is shining so much means that we then have a stronger bottom 6 than a lot of teams...okay....but what about putting Gionta there instead? Isn't he supposed to be a top 2-way player? How's Eller more valuable on a bottom 6 than Gionta? For whoever wants to "spread" the talent....isn't it probably even MORE spreading the talent?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:26 PM
  #191
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure I get this. Gionta STRONG 2-WAY PLAY would be a waste alongside a young and still learning Galchenyuk on a 3rd line? How is that? Wouldn't Galchenyuk learn from Gionta? Wouldn't Gionta repair some of the defensive blunders that Gally will make? If Gionta does have an offensive game as some will like to believe...wouldn't he be contributing with Gally? And for some who hopes more offensive like me...wouldn't play with a younger guy like Gally be even profitable for Gionta? I really don't get your point.

And a Eller who is now shining...couldn't he shine even more with guys like Pleks and Bourque. Why limit yourself to see what the ceiling of this or that player can be? And the fact that Eller is shining so much means that we then have a stronger bottom 6 than a lot of teams...okay....but what about putting Gionta there instead? Isn't he supposed to be a top 2-way player? How's Eller more valuable on a bottom 6 than Gionta? For whoever wants to "spread" the talent....isn't it probably even MORE spreading the talent?
19 years old Galchenyuk needs to receive sheltered minutes. If you put Gionta on his wing, Gionta would also face weaker competition. That would be a waste because, based on his play since he joined us, the guy can play against top competition.

Once everyone is healthy, I expect Eller at C on 4th with Moen and White. That line would receive more ice-time than your usual 4th line and Eller (PK + PP alongside the kids) would receive 13-15 minutes of ice-time per game. Our “4th” line would also be our second “tough minutes” line.

If you absolutely want to remove Gionta from Plekanec’s wing, the only solution, from my point of view, would be to use him on 4th and give the LW spot alongside Plek to Eller. I just can’t see the Habs using their captain on 4th; especially if you factor in how great and productive (see post 113 for their ES and PP contribution) our first line is.

I am curious, you wish for 1. Eller – Plekanec – Bourque. Assuming a healthy line-up, what would be your 2nd, 3rd and 4th line? Btw I think that Prust must play on the top3 lines because it does spread out the toughness.


Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-21-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:12 PM
  #192
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
19 years old Galchenyuk needs to receive sheltered minutes. If you put Gionta on his wing, Gionta would also face weaker competition. That would be a waste because, based on his play since he joined us, the guy can play against top competition.

Once everyone is healthy, I expect Eller at C on 4th with Moen and White. That line would receive more ice-time than your usual 4th line and Eller (PK + PP alongside the kids) would receive 13-15 minutes of ice-time per game. Our “4th” line would also be our second “tough minutes” line.

If you absolutely want to remove Gionta from Plekanec’s wing, the only solution, from my point of view, would be to use him on 4th and give the LW spot alongside Plek to Eller. I just can’t see the Habs using their captain on 4th; especially if you factor in how great and productive (see post 113 for their ES and PP contribution) our first line is.

I am curious, you wish for 1. Eller – Plekanec – Bourque. Assuming a healthy line-up, what would be your 2nd, 3rd and 4th line? Btw I think that Prust must play on the top3 lines because it does spread out the toughness.
Cole-DD-Pac
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Prust-White-Moen.

I would believe in spreading the toughness if we would have the guys to do it. I choose not to on a 3rd line and go with the combination of skills and facing an easier opposition to play against. Would rejuvenate Gionta's game, would help a lot the kids as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
  #193
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Now that we lost.....can we change the lines?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
  #194
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,676
vCash: 500
He's a charlatan.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
  #195
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,414
vCash: 500
Why the **** does he still get power play time?! He's so ****ing useless on the power play.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
  #196
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 6,293
vCash: 500
Dude needs a demotion to the bottom line, but he's captain, so it ain't happening.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
  #197
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
Gionta is wasted. Nothing left in the dude.

Brb skates along the boards and shoot from far-wide.
brb never pass
brb small as fuark

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
  #198
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
I'm on the... kick his ass to the 3rd line bandwagon.....he looked like Gomez tonight...totally unacceptable.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:26 PM
  #199
Guess
Registered User
 
Guess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brossard, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Agreed on everyone's thoughts. Gionta is not the captain this team needs right now. Can we please give Gorges back his C? Pleks and Pacioretty with A


Last edited by Guess: 02-21-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:26 PM
  #200
Maelpj*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Why the **** does he still get power play time?! He's so ****ing useless on the power play.
But I like his defensive play...

Just kidding, Gionta probably played is worst game tonight. The sad reality is that MT have to give him PP because.. well you those politics..

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.