HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St Louis roster needs

Old
02-20-2013, 10:58 PM
mibs

vCash: 500
St Louis roster needs

Hi all,

Not a huge fan of the Blues but I do like keeping an eye on them from time to time. From what I have gathered from previous posts, I believe finding a playing partner for Pieterangelo was on the wish list. Has Ian Cole fulfilled that role or is he not considered a long term core piece? Could former first round Pick Jordan Schmaltz become that guy?
Or will they try and find one via free agency/trade later?
Also, do you fans think the window to win the cup is here, meaning could it be time to trade prospect for pieces that could put them over the top? I've mentioned this proposal in my prevous posts, but would trading Stewart for Bouwmeester be beneficial for the Blues? Maybe add Rattie if the Blues really believe Bouwmeester could contribute for in the cup run.

Thanks for the reponses!

mibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibs View Post
Hi all,

Not a huge fan of the Blues but I do like keeping an eye on them from time to time. From what I have gathered from previous posts, I believe finding a playing partner for Pieterangelo was on the wish list. Has Ian Cole fulfilled that role or is he not considered a long term core piece? Could former first round Pick Jordan Schmaltz become that guy?
Also, do you fans think the window to win the cup is here, meaning could it be time to trade prospect for pieces that could put them over the top? I've mentioned this proposal in my prevous posts, but would trading Stewart for Bouwmeester be beneficial for the Blues? Maybe add Rattie if the Blues really believe Bouwmeester could contribute for in the cup run.

Thanks for the reponses!
Neither. Cole IS considered a core piece, but is not ready to play on the first pairing. The Blues need to add that 1st pairing guy, to help on the high end, but also to strengthen the weak link 3rd pairing.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:53 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the reponses!
I don't think I would trade either for Bouwmeester TBH.

I like where we are at and IF we were to make a deal centered around one of our leading goal scorers and top prospects, I would want a much higher quality player coming back.

I don't want to sound rude, but Bouwmeester is not the answer for the Blues

CitizenSnips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:21 AM
underslept

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the reponses!
The only thing Bouwmeester would contribute is a bigger cap hit. Not worth the trade from our stand point, especially with Calgary in denial they need to rebuild.

underslept is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:33 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the reponses!
Not interested in Bouwmeester for free.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Not interested in Bouwmeester for free.
Oh really? Well that's just not true. Not sure how Bouwmeester isn't an upgrade over anyone on the left side and getting him for free?

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Oh really? Well that's just not true. Not sure how Bouwmeester isn't an upgrade over anyone on the left side and getting him for free?
Not really free when you have to pay him 6.6 million. No way our financial structure can withstand that, especially considering the number of key players we have to resign in the offseason. Pie and Shatty are due for big raises, and Stewie too if he continues his great play.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:31 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Bouwmeester's contract means he carries negative value.

We've been through this, the guy is soft as butter on a pillow with a feather boa. He would have been the opposite of a difference maker against LA.

He is exactly what we don't need at exactly the price we definitely can't afford.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:45 AM
mibs

Thanks for all the replies.

So if I understand correctly, St Louis is still looking for a partner for Pieterangelo since they don't have an internal solution, and Bouwmeester is not that man!

mibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:48 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

So if I understand correctly, St Louis is still looking for a partner for Pieterangelo since they don't have an internal solution, and Bouwmeester is not that man!
Bingo Bango

CitizenSnips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:13 AM
SirPaste

If we are looking at someone from Calgary it should be Giordano

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:33 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

After last nights game, how many boxes of girl scout cookies do you want? The rest of Tarasenko's linemates and d-men who were on the ice must be selling them....

I would bench every single player that was on the ice at the time. Just to send a message. You are a team first!!

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
JJohn139

Right now I personally think the Blues need to pull off some sort of trade to get a left side d-man with Petro because Cole just isn't putting up any numbers really. Granted he has played pretty well. Redden is way past his prime and is good at a 2nd or 3rd paring. Like you others said, though, there are A LOT of guys who can become free agents this year and the big 2 are....sure enough d-men Shattenkirk and Petro and also Cole will be an unrestricted free agent if I remember right. Lets be honest, neither Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo will be cheap.

JJohn139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Bouwmeester's contract means he carries negative value.

We've been through this, the guy is soft as butter on a pillow with a feather boa. He would have been the opposite of a difference maker against LA.

He is exactly what we don't need at exactly the price we definitely can't afford.
Who do you propose would be remotely close to a good target. What big, physical, left-handed d-man, on a good contract can we afford without giving up too many assets?

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Who do you propose would be remotely close to a good target. What big, physical, left-handed d-man, on a good contract can we afford without giving up too many assets?
We've talked about this for two years and I've probably posted several hundred times in that span about different options.

And whatever the answer is, it absolutely, positively, no way, no how is Bouwmeester.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
If you're opening up the question of LHD as a wishlist, then I want OEL.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohn139 View Post
Right now I personally think the Blues need to pull off some sort of trade to get a left side d-man with Petro because Cole just isn't putting up any numbers really. Granted he has played pretty well. Redden is way past his prime and is good at a 2nd or 3rd paring. Like you others said, though, there are A LOT of guys who can become free agents this year and the big 2 are....sure enough d-men Shattenkirk and Petro and also Cole will be an unrestricted free agent if I remember right. Lets be honest, neither Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo will be cheap.
Cole is an RFA at the end of the year, he is still on his ELC.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
If you're opening up the question of LHD as a wishlist, then I want OEL.
Who wouldn't want OEL

Bluesnatic27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

I still think yandle would be awesome with petro. Sekera could be a good underrated cheaper asset to pick up than most of the guys we've talked about. I wouldn't mind Marc-Edouard Vlasic either. what do you guys think about andy greene, mcdonagh/Staal, macdonald, Gardiner, or streit?

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
Who wouldn't want OEL
Given the makeup of our D right now; I'd say no to OEL.

We need somebody who brings size and a physical game.
OEL is a great player, but he is just as soft as Shattenkirk.

As ludicrous as this sounds; I'd rather have a guy like Grossman than OEL given our current D corps. The Blues D is getting pushed around and we need somebody who can put a stop to that. In fact; I'm to the point where I'd say no to any D man if they didn't bring a physical game to the table, even a guy like OEL or Duncan Keith. We are in desperate need of an "edge" on the blueline, and I wouldn't move any kind of trade chip unless it landed us a guy to fill that need.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
I still think yandle would be awesome with petro. Sekera could be a good underrated cheaper asset to pick up than most of the guys we've talked about. I wouldn't mind Marc-Edouard Vlasic either. what do you guys think about andy greene, mcdonagh/Staal, macdonald, Gardiner, or streit?
McDonagh isnt going anywhere, no interest in Streit or Greene, MacDonald would be ok, and I would love any of Yandle, Sekera, Vlasic, or Staal

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Keith Yandle
Undersized PMD, no physical game, average defensively
No thanks

Andy Greene
No thanks.

Jake Gardiner
Undersized PMD, no physical game, below average defensively
No thanks.

Andrew McDonald
Undersied PMD, no physical game, average defensively

Mark Streit
Undersized PMD, no physical game, average defensively, pending UFA
No thanks

Andrej Sekera
Undersized PMD, no physical game, good defensively
Wouldn't pay what Buffalo would want.

ME Vlasic
Undersized stay at home type, no physical game, very good defensively
Wouldn't pay what SJ would want

Marc Staal/Ryan McDonagh
Good sized 2-way D men, decent physical game, very good defensively
I'd love either, but the Rag's will want a fortune for them.

I'd prefer a guy like Grossman, Regehr, Murray or Volchenkov over most of this group.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Keith Yandle
No thanks

Andy Greene
No thanks.

Jake Gardiner
Undersized PMD, no physical game, below average defensively
No thanks.

Andrew McDonald
Undersied PMD, no physical game, average defensively

Mark Streit
Undersized PMD, no physical game, average defensively, pending UFA
No thanks

Andrej Sekera
Undersized PMD, no physical game, good defensively
Wouldn't pay what Buffalo would want.

ME Vlasic
Undersized stay at home type, no physical game, very good defensively
Wouldn't pay what SJ would want

Marc Staal/Ryan McDonagh
Good sized 2-way D men, decent physical game, very good defensively
I'd love either, but the Rag's will want a fortune for them.

I'd prefer a guy like Grossman, Regehr, Murray or Volchenkov over most of this group.
Vlasic is 6'1", 205 which isn't undersized and has only averaged around 20 points the past two years. He'd be a very nice addition as he is only 25. It would take a lot, though.

I really want nothing to do with Regehr. He isn't close to the same player he used to be. Perhaps that would change with a trade but I don't know.

Douglas Murray and Nicklas Grossman would be intriguing however neither has been much more than a 3rd pairing d-man. I don't think we should expect them to do as well when give tougher assignments playing with Pietrangelo for 21-22 minutes.

Volchenov might be the best of an average lot. However, he hasn't played big minutes since 09-10.

Jan Hejda could be another option but he still has two and a half more years left on his contract at 3.25 million.

Maybe Ottawa would part ways with Chris Phillips if they fall out of the race but he isn't getting any younger.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
So you want 3 guys who are over the hill and only getting worse?

You need to be able to skate in our system, and none of those are good enough skaters IMO.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
So you want 3 guys who are over the hill and only getting worse?

You need to be able to skate in our system, and none of those are good enough skaters IMO.
If you haven't noticed all the pirouettes aren't amounting to W's and won't in the playoffs either. Needs some brawn to go with the figure skaters. Sorry...still ticked about the lack of heart and leadership after Tarasenko got hit.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote