Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I think Granlund is benefitting from playing limited minutes on the 4th line. Of course I want him to be in the top 6. But limited minutes means he's gonna be fighting for more and busting his ass every time he see the ice because he doesn't know when his # is gonna be called again.

Secondly, he needed to learn the physical aspect of the game before he could truly be effective in the top 6. His skills will still be there when he's promoted up again. On the 3rd and 4th line, he's forced to learn how to use his body, keep his feet moving and create plays for himself and others.
Again, I completely agree with everything you say. Nothing wrong with playing a rookie in the bottom six. He'll be fine.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Ville231

I partly agree with TZM, Granlund hasn't been himself since the wjc-tournament. Maybe playing the rest of the season in Houston would bring him that confidence back. (yeye, i know he has 0+3 in his last three games.)

Fact is he can be so much better, piling up points in AHL could get him there. Atleast better than 4th line minutes with grinders

Old
02-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

The Wild are a better team with Granlund on the ice in a Wild uni not an Aeros uni.

Should he be on the 4th line? No!!!

Should he be in Houston instead of being on the 4th line? Hell No!!!

Old
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville231 View Post
I partly agree with TZM, Granlund hasn't been himself since the wjc-tournament. Maybe playing the rest of the season in Houston would bring him that confidence back. (yeye, i know he has 0+3 in his last three games.)

Fact is he can be so much better, piling up points in AHL could get him there. Atleast better than 4th line minutes with grinders
So demotions are confidence boosters?

If the Wild send Granlund to Houston it has nothing to do with helping him gain confidence.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
I honestly don't know where you guys would rather put him. Who would he replace in the top 6? Cullen? Sure I can go along with that...but then who does Cullen replace on the 3rd line? I don't see a scenario where Cullen is scratched in favor of Granlund.
Seriously? You can't think of who Cullen replaces on the 3rd line? You can't think of one center there who's done basically nothing all year there?

Old
02-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Seriously? You can't think of who Cullen replaces on the 3rd line? You can't think of one center there who's done basically nothing all year there?
What I think and what would actually happen are two different things. My statement comes with the fact that I don't think Yeo would move Brodziak to the 4th line (obviously I didn't say that though).

Old
02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville231 View Post

while having issues with confidence might be true, it's not his biggest problem at this season. he has proven to been real deal but just lacks physical aspects. he got pushed terrible lot when playing 2nd line, houston wont give him muscle neither will playing in 4th, at least he wont fall all the time as he is most of the time on bench

collecting points in three games a row while playing in 4th, it's obvious he has some room there

Last edited by behemolari: 02-21-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Wrote on my HW article that Granlund is a prospect we have never had. A prospect that already has a developed skillset that just needs adjustment.

All he needs to do is learn how to adjust in the smaller rinks and that can be done in the NHL or AHL.

Guys like Sheppard and Gillies needed to develop their skills, and never had a chance to on the 3rd/4th lines. Granlund already has those skills, its about translating it into a NA style of game.

So IMO, he'll develop in the NHL 4th line or AHL 1st. Its a win-win IMO because that is how much I trust in Granlund and think how talented he is.

In the NHL, he'll play against the meanest and toughest of the NHL playing 10 minutes a night. In the AHL, he'll play 20+ minutes of the best of the AHL. NHL and AHL play a similar physical game, so in either instances, Granlund will develop.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Wrote on my HW article that Granlund is a prospect we have never had. A prospect that already has a developed skillset that just needs adjustment.

All he needs to do is learn how to adjust in the smaller rinks and that can be done in the NHL or AHL.

Guys like Sheppard and Gillies needed to develop their skills, and never had a chance to on the 3rd/4th lines. Granlund already has those skills, its about translating it into a NA style of game.

So IMO, he'll develop in the NHL 4th line or AHL 1st. Its a win-win IMO because that is how much I trust in Granlund and think how talented he is.

In the NHL, he'll play against the meanest and toughest of the NHL playing 10 minutes a night. In the AHL, he'll play 20+ minutes of the best of the AHL. NHL and AHL play a similar physical game, so in either instances, Granlund will develop.
I struggle to believe 10minutes< of NHL ice time a night is what he needs. He needs 12-15 minutes of ice time with wingers that can play offensive hockey to succeed.

Now Zucker comes up and scores and if he continues to impress in the next 4-5 games then Granlund will be in Houston. We have a logjam of forwards and because he isn't a checking line center..Mig 64 will be the one to go down. For better or worse that is what is shaping up to happen with Zucker performing and no trades imminent.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:

Yes. I really hate all these "We're going to ruin Granlund like we did Sheppard, Gillies, and Pouliot" posts. The situations are not comparable at all. Granlund has been looking better each game, even on the 4th line. Those three were pretty well the same in their time here.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
I struggle to believe 10minutes< of NHL ice time a night is what he needs. He needs 12-15 minutes of ice time with wingers that can play offensive hockey to succeed.

Now Zucker comes up and scores and if he continues to impress in the next 4-5 games then Granlund will be in Houston. We have a logjam of forwards and because he isn't a checking line center..Mig 64 will be the one to go down. For better or worse that is what is shaping up to happen with Zucker performing and no trades imminent.
I see where you and many others are coming from. It is scary to think he is playing 3rd/4th line minutes.

But let me ask you this: what do you think is his main problem at the moment and if there is one thing he needs to improve on, what is it?

Old
02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
nickschultzfan

Granlund's situation on the 4th line is temporary. Zucker and/or Larsson might get sent down like Coyle and Fletcher is shopping Bouchard, and maybe Setoguchi, Cullen, and Clutterbuck.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
I see where you and many others are coming from. It is scary to think he is playing 3rd/4th line minutes.

But let me ask you this: what do you think is his main problem at the moment and if there is one thing he needs to improve on, what is it?

Depends on the time frame of this question..Id say right now the physical aspect of his game. Protecting pucks and using his feet to make plays. Also getting into shooting areas with the puck and using his wrist shot.

Recently I think he has been much better at using his feet to open up the ice for himself and teammates and I think everyone who has watched the last 4 games or so has noticed the same.

He gets better every game. That is why I think he needs to go up with ice time not slap him in the face and give him 9 minutes. Im puzzled why Yeo did that...

Old
02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Honestly I'd be fine if he was getting "3rd line minutes" I'm just worried last game Yeo rewards 3-4 very good games from Granlund with 9 minutes of ice. That is not the right way to develop him.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:

Larson will be sent down not Granlund, the only reason Larson is still with the team is because of the flu bug that went around. They are not going to send Granlund down so ZK can play more. ZK was scratched 20 times last year and was only brought in to be a depth forward.

I think one thing that is perfectly clear is Granlund is here to stay even if it means bouncing him around lines and from center to wing. It actually says something positive about him imo that he has handled the bouncing around as well as he has, takes a certain amount of maturity and desire to handle it the way he has.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Depends on the time frame of this question..Id say right now the physical aspect of his game. Protecting pucks and using his feet to make plays. Also getting into shooting areas with the puck and using his wrist shot.

Recently I think he has been much better at using his feet to open up the ice for himself and teammates and I think everyone who has watched the last 4 games or so has noticed the same.

He gets better every game. That is why I think he needs to go up with ice time not slap him in the face and give him 9 minutes. Im puzzled why Yeo did that...
Okay so lets say the physical aspect of his game.

For those that want Granlund in the AHL:

Against the Red Wings and in order to develop his physical game, would you prefer him to play against Gustav Nyquist and Landon Ferraro in the AHL OR Jordin Tootoo and Justin Abdelkader of the NHL?

Now if your argument is that Granlund should be HIGHER, not lower: personally, I didn't see Granlund succeed in a 2nd line role at all. He was improving every game, but he is still a rookie with adjustment needed.

The Wild is in the NHL, and its about winning.

Granlund was not helping the team playing 2nd line minutes, I could even argue that he was dragging the line down because he would turn the puck over during an offensive cycle almost immediately after being bullied physically.

Its about finding a harmonious balance between the Wild winning and developing Granlund.

Sure, it would probably be better for his development to play #1 minutes with #1 PP minutes. But honestly, do any of you trust him enough YET to be our #1 winger?

So, if the physical aspect is the main part that really needs developing (I think his skills is already top-end), playing on the 4th line will help do that WHILE letting the Wild try to achieve its main goal: winning.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Granlund was not helping the team playing 2nd line minutes, I could even argue that he was dragging the line down because he would turn the puck over during an offensive cycle almost immediately after being bullied physically.
Granlund has fewer turnovers then both Cullen and Brodziak and he has produced assists from winning battles on the boards.

I don't however disagree with everything you are saying, in essence i agree with almost all of it but i do think his physical liabilies have been way over blown.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Granlund has fewer turnovers then both Cullen and Brodziak and he has produced assists from winning battles on the boards.

I don't however disagree with everything you are saying, in essence i agree with almost all of it but i do think his physical liabilies have been way over blown.
Perhaps I misused the word "turnover". Rather, he would get caught by the defense too easily along the boards.

But yes, he has been battling hard along the boards recently, and the beauty of it is that he has been doing it while playing on the lower lines. His assist on Mitchell's goal was a hardworking battle on the faceoff.

That is what we love to see, and when he starts doing it consistently, he'll find his way up into the top six very, VERY soon.

But at this point against the Oilers? I still need a few more games to see if he has develop some consistency in that physical aspect of his game.

Be patient people. Granlund isn't going to be on the fourth line for the entire season. At the rate he has been improving, I have a strong feeling he'll be back in the top six at the end.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Emilie

Hasn't he really been getting more than technical 4th line minutes anyway? I don't clock him on the ice or anything, but I think he had around 12-15 minutes on the ice last game...which is comparable to 3rd line minutes. Instead of the 6 or so typical 4th line minutes

Old
02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
Hasn't he really been getting more than technical 4th line minutes anyway? I don't clock him on the ice or anything, but I think he had around 12-15 minutes on the ice last game...which is comparable to 3rd line minutes. Instead of the 6 or so typical 4th line minutes
Granlund only had about 8 minutes last game.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
Granlund only had about 8 minutes last game.
Oh. I'm gonna blame this on me being a little intoxicated

Old
02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Gaps

9:18 tonight, according to NHL.com. So yeah, he has been playing 4th line minutes lately.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Was pretty invisible tonight except for his terrible turnover on the PP.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I thought he had a great physical game tonight. His 4th line training is going quite well imo.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Way to pinpoint the only negative thing. It's not like he played very good defense and physical with limited ice time. He is also the only one on the 2nd pp who can bring the puck to up, some mistakes are bound to happen.

Closed Thread