HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I don't believe I ever recall seeing these videos referenced in any of the post bankruptcy threads but I just happened to stumble across these on YT. Absolutely fascinating stuff. If you're interested, I recommend setting aside about an hour as it's in 3 segments.

It's a panel discussion regarding professional sports team and Bankruptcy. On this panel, held by ASU's Sports & Entertainment Law Students Association and the Sports and Entertainment Law Journal, the panel includes:

Judge Baum, Moyes Attorney Tom Salerno (Squire, Sanders & Dempsey), and Susan Freeman (one of Balsillies attorney's - Lewis and Roca LLP), for those that are unfamiliar.

Heavy on the bankruptcy case, even in some instances indicting and pretty damning. Also goes into the Stars, Texas Rangers, and LA Dodgers.

IMO, absolutely worth the hour investment of time.

1 of 3

2 of 3

3 of 3
Finished watching the videos, great stuff!

(Could be interesting to bring at the next CoG council meeting when the Coyotes are on the agenda. )

Best quote (video 2 from Judge Redfield T. Baum - time mark ~ 7:45 on reading from NHL expert article)

"How to make a small fortune by owning a professional sports franchise. The next line is -- start with a large fortune and buy an NHL franchise."

Old
02-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Finished watching the videos, great stuff!

(Could be interesting to bring at the next CoG council meeting when the Coyotes are on the agenda. )

Best quote (video 2 from Judge Redfield T. Baum - time mark ~ 7:45 on reading from NHL expert article)

"How to make a small fortune by owning a professional sports franchise. The next line is -- start with a large fortune and buy an NHL franchise."
I caught that too... it was contained in a brief from the NHL. He reiterated the point that any prospective owner needed to be very well-financed, not only to purchase the team, but also to ride out years of substantial losses.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:06 AM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter26 View Post
In 1995 it was Andy Van Hellemond at the MSG who disallowed a goal by Sakic, that cost us the win. Kovalev did a perfect theatrical performance of a Spanish soccer player on that play.

Fraser's gaffe happened in 1987 at the Forum.

Anyway both goals were good!
Actually this wasn't the only time that Fraser screwed up like that. People in Quebec hated him so much after 1987 that on a Nords vs Whalers game in 1989 where Fraser made a bunch of bad calls, the fans started throwing toilet paper from the Colisée washrooms on the ice and the game had to be delayed for 30 minutes or so.

I think that game ended 5-0 or something. It was during the year where they had a 12-61-7 record after already missing the playoffs twice... and still managed to average at higher attendance than the last 6 Coyotes seasons.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
Actually this wasn't the only time that Fraser screwed up like that. People in Quebec hated him so much after 1987 that on a Nords vs Whalers game in 1989 where Fraser made a bunch of bad calls, the fans started throwing toilet paper from the Colisée washrooms on the ice and the game had to be delayed for 30 minutes or so.

I think that game ended 5-0 or something. It was during the year where they had a 12-61-7 record after already missing the playoffs twice... and still managed to average at higher attendance than the last 6 Coyotes seasons.
Phew!

Just when I thought the thread might divert into the arcane history of another franchise, complete with tales of referee incompetence, you managed to tie this back to a dig at the Coyotes' attendance.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:38 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter26 View Post
In 1995 it was Andy Van Hellemond at the MSG who disallowed a goal by Sakic, that cost us the win. Kovalev did a perfect theatrical performance of a Spanish soccer player on that play.

Fraser's gaffe happened in 1987 at the Forum.

Anyway both goals were good!
Tidbit for the day: Andy V is now a City Councillor in Guelph, ON.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:17 AM
JMT21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Once it has been decided to move the team and sold to new ownership, what the Coyotes do or do not do on the ice has no bearing what so ever.

Just to note: there was a 3rd party study done quite a while ago that suggested the Coyotes would have to sell out every regular season game and go very deep in the playoffs EVERY season, just to even suggest a chance at breaking even financially.

Look at it this way... What the Coyotes have done on the ice for the last 4 seasons ( being quite successful ) has had zero bearing on selling this team. One trip to the Cup isn't going to change anything.
I'd imagine that's based on current ticket prices. If prices were around average to slightly above average NHL levels they'd probably do OK..... but selling out every regular season game would be pretty much mandatory.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

An article from Neon Tommy on it's take on the Coyotes saga

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/0...hoenix-coyotes

I'm not overly familiar with this site or credentials. Doesn't take too much stock in QC as the relo option (maybe she never been there) but on the Seattle bandwagon.

And, in my opinion, the Coyotes are going to Seattle. An untapped, American market that not only is known for being passionate about sports but can also be propped up by rabid Canucks fans in lean times is the best case scenario for the NHL in this relocation saga. The only delay is waiting for the approval of the sale of the Sacramento Kings; the arena deal hinges on an NBA team, not an NHL one. It would not be surprising to hear the Coyotes are moving to Seattle only days after the Kings deal is approved'

I still beleive these two sagas are joined at the hip. Once one domino falls, the other will go very shortly and a whole lot of nothing in the meantime.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
mesamonster

So where are the clowns? Time is running out, that is unless GB decides to leave the team in glendale for one more season while he searches for the next GJ or a relocation site. If he leaves them for what would likely be a lame duck year, the losses are going to be astronomical.

Yet another issue involves Coach Tippett, he is in the final year of his deal, the league has said nothing to him regarding an extension. Put yourself in his shoes, he is a FA at the end of this truncated season and I`m certain he will command a nice pay increase from any team other than the Coyotes! He has his future to be concerned about, my bet is he signs elsewhere fora nice raise, leaving [Bettman] no choice but to move the team. A Tippett less coyote team has little bite to it and I think that would be a concensus opinion by most Coyote observers.

Last edited by Dado: 02-21-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
So where are the clowns? Time is running out, that is unless GB decides to leave the team in glendale for one more season while he searches for the next GJ or a relocation site. If he leaves them for what would likely be a lame duck year, the losses are going to be astronomical.

Yet another issue involves Coach Tippett, he is in the final year of his deal, the league has said nothing to him regarding an extension. Put yourself in his shoes, he is a FA at the end of this truncated season and I`m certain he will command a nice pay increase from any team other than the Coyotes! He has his future to be concerned about, my bet is he signs elsewhere fora nice raise, leaving Butthead no choice but to move the team. A Tippett less coyote team has little bite to it and I think that would be a concensus opinion by most Coyote observers.
I'm not sure how long you've been around here but he has had many reasons to move the team but hasn't. What makes this time any different?

If you stop trying to apply logic, it all makes sense.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:

Yet another issue involves Coach Tippett, he is in the final year of his deal, the league has said nothing to him regarding an extension. Put yourself in his shoes, he is a FA at the end of this truncated season and I`m certain he will command a nice pay increase from any team other than the Coyotes! He has his future to be concerned about, my bet is he signs elsewhere fora nice raise, leaving Butthead no choice but to move the team. A Tippett less coyote team has little bite to it and I think that would be a concensus opinion by most Coyote observers.
If the NHL is still owning this team when it comes time for Tippett to resign, he is gone. There is no way Tippett stays with the Coyotes. Not after the job he has done with that team and the price he could get by going elsewhere. Heck, there are a lot of fans in Winnipeg clamoring for Noel to be fired and replaced with Tippett after the season. He will have no shortage of places he can go to next year.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:

Add Mike Smith to the list and if I'm not mistaken Maloney's contract is up as well. If ownership is not settled either way, pretty sure they'll look for a more stable enviornemt never mind salaary (no cap on coaches or GMs!).

Despite how well the team as played the past 4 years under these circumstances if this keeps going on, I'd hate to see this team become a glorified AHL team....hooray for the floor

Old
02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
An article from Neon Tommy on it's take on the Coyotes saga

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/0...hoenix-coyotes

I'm not overly familiar with this site or credentials. Doesn't take too much stock in QC as the relo option (maybe she never been there) but on the Seattle bandwagon.

And, in my opinion, the Coyotes are going to Seattle. An untapped, American market that not only is known for being passionate about sports but can also be propped up by rabid Canucks fans in lean times is the best case scenario for the NHL in this relocation saga. The only delay is waiting for the approval of the sale of the Sacramento Kings; the arena deal hinges on an NBA team, not an NHL one. It would not be surprising to hear the Coyotes are moving to Seattle only days after the Kings deal is approved'

I still beleive these two sagas are joined at the hip. Once one domino falls, the other will go very shortly and a whole lot of nothing in the meantime.
She's likely biased, and it doesn't sound like she understands Québec City as much (for one thing, she got the population wrong).

To others, Québec City would be just as much -if not more- of a "no brainer" as she claims.

That said, there may also be some merit regarding how connected the two teams relocating to Seattle may be

Old
02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
HamiltonFan
bettman's a Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I caught that too... it was contained in a brief from the NHL. He reiterated the point that any prospective owner needed to be very well-financed, not only to purchase the team, but also to ride out years of substantial losses.
What continues to amaze me over the last few years is how bettman has been able to unearth a seemingly endless supply of sucker owners to fund his grand southern experiment. This is one area, I must admit, where the dirty little weasel actually does a good job for his league.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:03 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonFan View Post
What continues to amaze me over the last few years is how bettman has been able to unearth a seemingly endless supply of sucker owners to fund his grand southern experiment. This is one area, I must admit, where the dirty little weasel actually does a good job for his league.
Well, I wouldn't say the supply is endless considering that we have started to recycle potentials, but he does do a good job of getting people to stand up and say they are interested.

I'm just curious as to how much it cost all these tire kickers ( out of their own pockets ) to say to the CoG, pick me ... pick me! IE: Hulsizer shows up a game and sits in the crowd wearing a Coyotes hat and jersey that I swear still had the tags on, so did he pay for this out of his own money? What were any lawyers fees, etc.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
She's likely biased, and it doesn't sound like she understands Québec City as much (for one thing, she got the population wrong).

To others, Québec City would be just as much -if not more- of a "no brainer" as she claims.

That said, there may also be some merit regarding how connected the two teams relocating to Seattle may be
I hope QC gets a team (they deserve it, and if its the Coyotes more power to them). But ...

If the NHL was committed to going to QC you would think they would have pulled the plug on Phoenix sometime in the last 2 years as this saga has drug on (committed owner, new building on the way, rabid hockey market). They haven't. Why? Its not a huge logical leap to conclude they are waiting on Seattle to get everything in order and a commitment to a new building (which could come in the next 2*3 months - well before any deadline to relocate a team for next year) before making a move.

You can run thru the attributes for both cities and each side has pluses and minuses. I just think if the NHL wanted to relocate a west coast team like Phoenix back east to QC they would have done it by now. Instead - they keep rolling out new buyers for Phoenix.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
They haven't. Why?
Well CoG paid two times 25millions to the NHL to keep the team there and last year they offered 320m$ over 20 years to keep it there.

The NHL didn't move because they were given millions of dollars to stay. It really is that simple. It has nothing to do with waiting for Seattle to get their ducks in a row.

Now, if the NHL decide not to move the team when this season is over, even without any money from CoG, then we can really start thinking about the reasons why, and waiting for Seattle would then be a logical reason.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Well CoG paid two times 25millions to the NHL to keep the team there and last year they offered 320m$ over 20 years to keep it there.

The NHL didn't move because they were given millions of dollars to stay. It really is that simple. It has nothing to do with waiting for Seattle to get their ducks in a row.

Now, if the NHL decide not to move the team when this season is over, even without any money from CoG, then we can really start thinking about the reasons why, and waiting for Seattle would then be a logical reason.
I agree with the reasoning in this post about why the team has not moved as of yet.

And, I believe that QUE is the most likely location. However, I would not be surprised to see them move to SEA, even though I do not know who the owner might be there. I have seen many post on here about Don Levin. Some have mentioned that his interest was in a facility in Bellevue, which is off the table now...

Old
02-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't say the supply is endless considering that we have started to recycle potentials, but he does do a good job of getting people to stand up and say they are interested.

I'm just curious as to how much it cost all these tire kickers ( out of their own pockets ) to say to the CoG, pick me ... pick me! IE: Hulsizer shows up a game and sits in the crowd wearing a Coyotes hat and jersey that I swear still had the tags on, so did he pay for this out of his own money? What were any lawyers fees, etc.
I noticed that both LeBlanc and Hulsizer have now been quoted as saying that they might be interested in purchasing the Coyotes, but they would only sit back and wait for someone to present them with a done deal to contemplate. I guess they ran out of their "tire kicker allowance", and can't afford to goof around in Glendale any more.

Meanwhile, remember this guy?

He is still listing himself as "Almost owner of the Phoenix Coyotes". Isn't he a beaut?

Last edited by Whileee: 02-21-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 08:53 PM
BnGBear1970
YUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
I agree with the reasoning in this post about why the team has not moved as of yet.

And, I believe that QUE is the most likely location. However, I would not be surprised to see them move to SEA, even though I do not know who the owner might be there. I have seen many post on here about Don Levin. Some have mentioned that his interest was in a facility in Bellevue, which is off the table now...
If Levin's serious about the NHL in the Seattle area, I'd think he'd get in on Hansen's SoDo building. If he's really holding out on a hockey-friendly arena (there's no such thing as a hockey-specific, or any sport-specific indoor arena anymore) in Bellevue, someone else will sweep in and get a team downtown.

At the moment, QC leads on definites. They definitely have an owner-candidate in Peladeau, they definitely have a hockey-friendly arena coming, and they definitely have city and provincial support for just the NHL. Seattle MIGHT have an owner-candidate (Levin? Hansen?), they MIGHT have shovels in the ground soon (let's not fool ourselves, Seattle/King Co. is absolutely waiting for the Kings verdict), and they MIGHT have support in City Hall (Yeah, $80 million extra for the arena if the NHL is secured). To me, I don't think the NHL will care about games in KeyArena IF the new arena's coming.

What clinches QC for an immediate relocation is infrastructure. All those definite concepts in QC are going to be necessary to get the team on the ice in time to start the 2013-14 season. Ask TNSE how they felt about having a whole of four months to prepare for the NHL when they already had the NHL-quality arena and facilities. For Seattle to get going on all of that in time to start for 2013-14 would be a Herculean task to say the least, made all the more difficult by having little anchored in place. In fact, I think QC would be rushed if they announced today that they were bringing Phoenix east for next season. Put all that together, and the NHL has two options: get the Coyotes sold to PKP right now to get them properly set up for next season, or brace for a lame duck 82-game season in Phoenix while Seattle and QC get their ducks in a row. And if the people in the know are serious about getting the Coyotes in Seattle, I suspect there's going to be one more season in the desert.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I noticed that both LeBlanc and Hulsizer have now been quoted as saying that they might be interested in purchasing the Coyotes, but they would only sit back and wait for someone to present them with a done deal to contemplate. I guess they ran out of their "tire kicker allowance", and can't afford to goof around in Glendale any more.
And, that has been the problem with every 'tire kicker'

* except JB

Old
02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
aqib

Quote:

Well add to the lawyers you have accountants, valuation people, tax experts, other due diligence staff. Out of grad school I worked for a Big 5 (it was still 5 back then) firm. My bill rate (the rate the firm charged not what I got) was $275 an hour. Someone straight out of undergrad was $175 an hour. The valuation group was that much as well. Plus travel expenses if they had to use people from outside of AZ. Even if he didn't use a big name firm adjusting for inflation you are still talking over $200 an hour for every person who is going through the books generating reports etc. Lawyers I doubt he was using his own in house people which I assume Peak6 has, so there you are probably more like $500 an hour. So my guess is he ran up a seven figure tab if he really got deep into it

Old
02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post
If Levin's serious about the NHL in the Seattle area, I'd think he'd get in on Hansen's SoDo building. If he's really holding out on a hockey-friendly arena (there's no such thing as a hockey-specific, or any sport-specific indoor arena anymore) in Bellevue, someone else will sweep in and get a team downtown.

At the moment, QC leads on definites. They definitely have an owner-candidate in Peladeau, they definitely have a hockey-friendly arena coming, and they definitely have city and provincial support for just the NHL. Seattle MIGHT have an owner-candidate (Levin? Hansen?), they MIGHT have shovels in the ground soon (let's not fool ourselves, Seattle/King Co. is absolutely waiting for the Kings verdict), and they MIGHT have support in City Hall (Yeah, $80 million extra for the arena if the NHL is secured). To me, I don't think the NHL will care about games in KeyArena IF the new arena's coming.

What clinches QC for an immediate relocation is infrastructure. All those definite concepts in QC are going to be necessary to get the team on the ice in time to start the 2013-14 season. Ask TNSE how they felt about having a whole of four months to prepare for the NHL when they already had the NHL-quality arena and facilities. For Seattle to get going on all of that in time to start for 2013-14 would be a Herculean task to say the least, made all the more difficult by having little anchored in place. In fact, I think QC would be rushed if they announced today that they were bringing Phoenix east for next season. Put all that together, and the NHL has two options: get the Coyotes sold to PKP right now to get them properly set up for next season, or brace for a lame duck 82-game season in Phoenix while Seattle and QC get their ducks in a row. And if the people in the know are serious about getting the Coyotes in Seattle, I suspect there's going to be one more season in the desert.
Great analysis. Seattle is just not ready yet.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:29 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post

? IS Levin and how does he handle the transition from Rosemont, IL, BNG, this isn't like TNSE where they ended up keeping the franchise they built, to replace it w/ Jets v2.

Does the Wolves franchise go up for sale, if it comes to tht, and remember even if the Wolves stay, the PDC is expiring w/ Vancouver.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
BnGBear1970
YUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
? IS Levin and how does he handle the transition from Rosemont, IL, BNG, this isn't like TNSE where they ended up keeping the franchise they built, to replace it w/ Jets v2.

Does the Wolves franchise go up for sale, if it comes to tht, and remember even if the Wolves stay, the PDC is expiring w/ Vancouver.
I think TNSE is the new model for relocated franchise. If you have a staff like they had with the Moose, then the smart money is that Levin would try to keep that as together as possible. OTOH, if it's Hansen, it appears he'd either have to start from scratch or bring a lot of the Phoenix staff north, which is very impractical for a variety of reasons.

As far as Levin's interest in the Wolves, TNSE maintains ownership of St. John's, so it wouldn't preclude him from continuing with the Wolves. Yes, it would make his life harder, but if Zombie Phoenix/Seattle take over the affiliation, it makes some sense for him to keep both.

All this said, I suspect that Hansen's going to be the man in Seattle, so that should be the guy everyone looks to for the next step. Again, if I were a betting man, I'd say the discussion in the Board of Governors is about the difference between instant gratification by getting out through QC and a long-term, more pleasant option by at least making Seattle a viable foil to Quebec.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 2084
I still read here,

Predicting a Move to Que, so feel good about that phoenix fans, im never right

Closed Thread