HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bouwmeester expected to net the Flames a "hefty" return

Old
02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
flameaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Man View Post
just cause u play big mins dosent mean nothing...he`s soft and unreliable in his own end...and he is overpaid...
You clearly have never seen him play.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Mac Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
You clearly have never seen him play. Just going by stats.
no actually i watch every game for every team all season and i think of him the same now as i did all them yrs with florida...he is just not that good a d-man...and y does everbody always say that the person must not watch them ever, if that were the case i wouldent be here talking 2 u now...

Mac Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:05 PM
stanleyorbust

J-bo's game is speed and finesse, but I think he has never quite lived up to the hype. He is overpaid, but still a very good #2 dman, #1 on weaker teams.

Could see him fetching a 1st round from a contender (20th to 30th) and a good young player. Any more is unlikely.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
no actually i watch every game for every team all season and i think of him the same now as i did all them yrs with florida...he is just not that good a d-man...and y does everbody always say that the person must not watch them ever, if that were the case i wouldent be here talking 2 u now...
Because you don't sound like a guy that has seen him play, or maybe you just don't know anything about hockey.

Maybe you should just stick to watching soccer.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
And J-bo isn't the player that Kovalchuck is. I think that Jbo has good value, just not ludicrous value like the OP.
I agree but he isn't a rental and nothing says we won't keep half his cap hit then who wouldn't want a #1 (#2 at worse) defensemen for 3.3 million? That would easily return 1st + 1 or 2 good prospects.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
So your job in life is to watch NHL games? How do I sign up for that?

That is one of most ridiculous and untrue comments I have ever heard on HF.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
There's a major improvement in Bouwmeester's game this year coupled with more consistancy. If you watch every game, it's not hard to tell. People say those things due to the same internet talking points being used from years before. That's why they're always told to watch the games.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Quote:

He's overpaid, but if Calgary keeps ~half that cap hit in a trade, he becomes a very valuable addition to a team. Calling him "not that good a d-man," is just false.

That's just an outrageous post all-around.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Flamester

I the flames decide to trade iginla , then I'm pretty sure they are going to blow the team up. That means bouwmeester will get traded forsure. I can see a first and a good prospect for him .

Flamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I agree but he isn't a rental and nothing says we won't keep half his cap hit then who wouldn't want a #1 (#2 at worse) defensemen for 3.3 million? That would easily return 1st + 1 or 2 good prospects.
I wrote this when I saw the clause in the CBA that allows a team to retain up to 50% of the cap/salary hit for three players at any one time.

IF you go rebuild (and I think that's where it's headed), then, if I'm Jay Feaster, I go to my billionaire owner and ask him for the o'k to exploit that clause in the CBA and get really aggressive on the rebuild:

1. Iginla gets moved. Seems like the return being discussed is a higher end (maybe not highest end) defensive prospect and a 1st.

2. J-Bo has a year after this at 6.6M. Put him on the trade market offering to eat half the cap hit. I know people like to do the 'J-Bo is soft' debate; I'm not going to get into that. Soft, not soft, you're talking a legit 25 minute a night top pairing defenseman being made available to top playoff teams for 2 cup runs and a friendly hit of 3.3M next year. What would Philly or Pittsburgh or any of the other teams fighting for the playoffs in the East pay for that? IMO, you put J-Bo out at 6.6M, and your trade options are limited. You put J-Bo out at 3.3M, and you get a better return that what you'll get for Iginla.

3. Mike Cammallerri has a year after this at 6M. He's not a part of things afterwards. Nobody is giving you much with that cap hit. BUT, what is Mike Cammallerri worth to teams at a 3M cap hit for two playoff runs. Any playoff competitor with a top six need and limited cap space will be all over it. IMO, at that price, you get a little more for a return than Iginla.

4. I'd consider moving Kipper. He's under contract at 5.85M for next year. He's 36. I'm guessing he doesn't have a ton of time left. If you put him out there at 2.925M, a boat load of playoff caliber teams would give a lot to get him. I'm thinking top goalie prospect, a 1st, and something else (it would approach what you'd get for J-Bo at 3.3M). EDIT: If you don't move Kipper, do a 50% deal on Sarich. One more year after this at 1M will appeal to some teams.

Iggy, J-Bo at 3.3M, Cammy at 3M, Kipper at 2.925M . . . IMO, IF Feaster did that, you'd walk out with 2-3 fair to good, younger roster player, 3-4 high to highest end prospects, FOUR 1st round picks (I think you get one for each at those half salaries), and even more.

Doing that would completely accelerate the rebuild. Yeah, 2013-2014 would blow, but the Flames would be one of the really fun young teams to watch in 2014-2015, like the Hawks, Pens, or Caps four to six years ago when all of their great young players were breaking into the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
I the flames decide to trade iginla , then I'm pretty sure they are going to blow the team up. That means bouwmeester will get traded forsure. I can see a first and a good prospect for him .
MORE if you make eating salaries part of the blowup as I explained.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:01 AM
sd1976

Quote:
You're not getting a 25 minute, smooth skating, puck-moving 1st pairing defenceman for a "2nd."
Dion Phaneuf says HI!

sd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
flyingsouth

A hefty return? So they're after Byfuglien then?

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Buddy, you need to get some fresh air! Maybe a girlfriend?

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
BloatedGuppy

Jay Bouwmeester has been in the playoffs once, in his entire career stemming back through junior, with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. He played 18 games in that playoff year, scoring 0 points.

He's clearly jinxed. Curse of the Bouwmeester. Acquire this guy and never make the playoffs again until he's traded.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

If two teams who are desperate for defense at the deadline get locked in a war in the last hour or so, he'll get a very, very good return...

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I wrote this when I saw the clause in the CBA that allows a team to retain up to 50% of the cap/salary hit for three players at any one time.

IF you go rebuild (and I think that's where it's headed), then, if I'm Jay Feaster, I go to my billionaire owner and ask him for the o'k to exploit that clause in the CBA and get really aggressive on the rebuild:

1. Iginla gets moved. Seems like the return being discussed is a higher end (maybe not highest end) defensive prospect and a 1st.

2. J-Bo has a year after this at 6.6M. Put him on the trade market offering to eat half the cap hit. I know people like to do the 'J-Bo is soft' debate; I'm not going to get into that. Soft, not soft, you're talking a legit 25 minute a night top pairing defenseman being made available to top playoff teams for 2 cup runs and a friendly hit of 3.3M next year. What would Philly or Pittsburgh or any of the other teams fighting for the playoffs in the East pay for that? IMO, you put J-Bo out at 6.6M, and your trade options are limited. You put J-Bo out at 3.3M, and you get a better return that what you'll get for Iginla.

3. Mike Cammallerri has a year after this at 6M. He's not a part of things afterwards. Nobody is giving you much with that cap hit. BUT, what is Mike Cammallerri worth to teams at a 3M cap hit for two playoff runs. Any playoff competitor with a top six need and limited cap space will be all over it. IMO, at that price, you get a little more for a return than Iginla.

4. I'd consider moving Kipper. He's under contract at 5.85M for next year. He's 36. I'm guessing he doesn't have a ton of time left. If you put him out there at 2.925M, a boat load of playoff caliber teams would give a lot to get him. I'm thinking top goalie prospect, a 1st, and something else (it would approach what you'd get for J-Bo at 3.3M). EDIT: If you don't move Kipper, do a 50% deal on Sarich. One more year after this at 1M will appeal to some teams.

Iggy, J-Bo at 3.3M, Cammy at 3M, Kipper at 2.925M . . . IMO, IF Feaster did that, you'd walk out with 2-3 fair to good, younger roster player, 3-4 high to highest end prospects, FOUR 1st round picks (I think you get one for each at those half salaries), and even more.

Doing that would completely accelerate the rebuild. Yeah, 2013-2014 would blow, but the Flames would be one of the really fun young teams to watch in 2014-2015, like the Hawks, Pens, or Caps four to six years ago when all of their great young players were breaking into the league.

MORE if you make eating salaries part of the blowup as I explained.
I agree with most of this. I don't know that Cammy would net more than Iginla, even at reduced cap hit, but I could potentially see that being the case with JBo. And that's essentially what I want to see happen; the Flames eat some cap for the following season, trade off 2-3 older vets, and presumably jump start a rebuild. Maybe 2013 1st round can be a drafting battle between CBJ and CGY. Haha

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
You're not getting a 25 minute, smooth skating, puck-moving 1st pairing defenceman for a "2nd."
In Calgary the Hot Dog salesman from section 318 would get 25 minutes of icetime and would count as 1st pairing defenceman

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Can teams retain more than $3 million on a trade? I don't think they can...

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Yes they can under the new CBA teams can retain up to half of a players cap hit and salary, meaning that if a team wants Jbo but can't afford him (Philly for example) the Flames can pay part of his salary and cap hit in order to get a deal done.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Didnt take long for the hate train to derail this thread.
jbo is a top 2 d on ANY team in the league. hes playing terrific hockey right now and will get the big return people look for

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Call me crazy, but I think he'd end up being a Norris contender in Philly. Could see Laughton/Cousins + 1st + another prospect or a low pick or something. Maybe more if Calgary retains some salary.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
They can, but even if it was limited to 3 million that would make JBo an excellent value contract.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Call me crazy, but I think he'd end up being a Norris contender in Philly. Could see Laughton/Cousins + 1st + another prospect or a low pick or something. Maybe more if Calgary retains some salary.
You are crazy. Bouwmeester will never be a Norris contender. He doesn't have the drive or intensity to push himself any further. He'll always be the same player who takes everything in stride.

He's already cashed in with his big contract. The guy has no motivation to take his game to another level.

I could see him being a decent passenger on an already loaded club, but not the go to guy. I would never consider him as a top 10-15 candidate for Norris voting.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Mac Man

Quote:
Because you don't sound like a guy that has seen him play, or maybe you just don't know anything about hockey.

Maybe you should just stick to watching soccer.
just because im dutch dosent mean all i know about is soccer, to tell you the truth i dont know a damn thing about it...i cheer for the Netherlands in the world cup just like you canadians cheer for Canada @ the Olympics, because we love our homelands...hell i wasent even born there like the rest of my family i just lived there, i was born in London Ontario...im Canadian but Dutch @ heart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
So your job in life is to watch NHL games? How do I sign up for that?

That is one of most ridiculous and untrue comments I have ever heard on HF.
i work for the nhl`s head office as a Social Media Producer, thats y i get to watch all the games...you might know it as the war room but its the video center to us...you can send your resume to our office @ 50 Bay St., Toronto, Ontario M5J 3A5 or call and ask about openings (416) 359-7900...i started as an intern so there are no garentees your gonna get a paying job right away, i was there for almost a yr before i got hired on full time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
There's a major improvement in Bouwmeester's game this year coupled with more consistancy. If you watch every game, it's not hard to tell. People say those things due to the same internet talking points being used from years before. That's why they're always told to watch the games.
oh ok, thanx for clearing that up for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post

He's overpaid, but if Calgary keeps ~half that cap hit in a trade, he becomes a very valuable addition to a team. Calling him "not that good a d-man," is just false.

That's just an outrageous post all-around.
he is only a top paring d-man on the weakest teams in the league like Calgary is, and i agree at half price he would be a valuable addition to a contender but on that team he would be a 3-6 d-man on the depth chart and not a top paring guy...if ur picking him up to build ur defence around or to be a top guy then that team is gonna be dissapointed just like the flames were...he is not some 1 that will lead u to the playoffs or even lead ur defence in scoring every season cause he is so streaky of a scorer...not worth the $ he makes and not worth much of a return past a 2nd, a so so prospect and maybe a bottom 6 roster player...at most...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Buddy, you need to get some fresh air! Maybe a girlfriend?
lmfao...i like this post...man im married with 3 kids...i could use a vacation to get some fresh air...as for the girlfriend ill take 1 just dont tell my wife k

Mac Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
...The demand for puck-moving defencemen is also sky high.

Expect...
Bouwmeester is a PMD?

Since and including the 9/10 season, there have been 141 blueliners who have scored 30pts or more. This includes guys like Colaiacovo, Gardiner, McBain, Ribdas, and Babchuk. It does not include Jay Bouwmeester.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote