HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nsh/edm

Old
02-21-2013, 03:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Hahaha, that's funny. Blum and a pick, when Blum is playing like 14 minutes a game, not even in every game?

Look, if you want MPS, we're not going to just accept the crap you don't want.

You give value to get value. And Blum's 14 minutes a game, even despite his nice scoring, is not enough. Paajarvi plays 14 minutes/game on a reasonably solid defensive team, and was a 35 point scorer in his rookie year. He projects to be somebody like Dvorak-- strong at both ends.

Spaling is a piece that interests me as a bottom 6 replacement of MPS, or Yip to be honest, albeit nowhere near as good nor with as much potential. And another decent young d-man who's either in the league or on the verge of it. Blum or Klein maybe. And Edmonton would add a d-man to that mix and picks could be worked out.

You're not gonna get Paajarvi for table scraps though, that's for damn sure.
It's going to be a tough sell for a lot of Preds fans. We just don't have the parts to move for someone who will likely play bottom six minutes in most games. Nothing against MPS, but Nashville doesn't need to trade one of its best PK forwards with some offensive upside, a young PMD who seems to be getting his game back (or our second best defensive defenseman who anchors the second pairing and kills penalties). It's essentially trading Spaling's defensive qualities for MPS's defensive qualities, and hoping the offensive upside is enough to justify getting rid of a guy currently on the second pair.

I don't think Nashville needs MPS.

02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Paajarvi, Teubert and Edmonton's 1st 2014 for Ellis

Whitney will likely be gone from EDM soon enough and we need another offensive puck carrying Dman.
The success of this proposal can only be explained by...

Slats432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
ALee10

I'm not an Oilers fan, but I like the core that Edmonton has working for them. It has tons of potential and I'm excited to see what they'll look like in a year or two.

That being said, I have a question for Edmonton fans about the future of their team, and I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just curious about your input. Eberle and Hall both received 6M contracts, both deserved because they're very good, but how are you guys going to make a shrinking salary cap work in the near future when you have to re-sign guys like Smid and MPS and then Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov and Schultz. It's a good situation to have, having so many quality players but if you sign Hall to 6M for 50+ points in 60 games and hedging on growth, what can Nugent-Hopkins demand? What about Yakupov? Is there a worry about becoming too top heavy? You're setting a precedent of signing very young players to very large contracts and as a Caps fan I understand the risk of not getting the dollar value back in the form of equivalent production.

ALee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALee10 View Post
I'm not an Oilers fan, but I like the core that Edmonton has working for them. It has tons of potential and I'm excited to see what they'll look like in a year or two.

That being said, I have a question for Edmonton fans about the future of their team, and I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just curious about your input. Eberle and Hall both received 6M contracts, both deserved because they're very good, but how are you guys going to make a shrinking salary cap work in the near future when you have to re-sign guys like Smid and MPS and then Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov and Schultz. It's a good situation to have, having so many quality players but if you sign Hall to 6M for 50+ points in 60 games and hedging on growth, what can Nugent-Hopkins demand? What about Yakupov? Is there a worry about becoming too top heavy? You're setting a precedent of signing very young players to very large contracts and as a Caps fan I understand the risk of not getting the dollar value back in the form of equivalent production.
It's been explained more times than I can remember. The Oilers core certainly won't be the most expensive in the league. Teams like the Pens and Hawks are going to have bigger issues

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
Honestly there isn't much on Nashville I'd want for Paajarvi. We don't need up and coming D like Josi, Blum or Ellis. We need established defenseman that can play right now.

Klein would be ideal but if I'm Tambo I don't give anything more than Paajarvi for him.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
He's big, fast, and fantastic defensively... We need guys like that. He's going to be easier to get than Hall, but that doesn't make him available
Pretty much this. Unless he is included in a package for a legit top 4 D man, he won't be getting moved.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Paajarvi, Teubert and Edmonton's 1st 2014 for Ellis

Whitney will likely be gone from EDM soon enough and we need another offensive puck carrying Dman.
Brutal for Oil

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Fourier

Quote:

TheOilers are well positioned capwise. The first crunch might come in 2014-2015 when RNH and Schultz are up. My guess is that RNH gets $6M with term since I think they will try to treat all of the kids very much alike.

Schultz may get $6M but may also get something like 2 years at $5M.

The saving grace for the Oilers is that they have a buch of kids coming into the lineup to fill the bottom slots on the roster. On good thing about Paajarvi's slower developmnent is that he probably signs for short term at relatively low dollars. Similarly with Lander and Hartikianen.

So here is a rough idea of what the salary situation might be in 2014-2015. I have assumed a modest 5% increase in the cap and have left Gagner and Hemsky in their slots. I also assumed that Horcoff is bought out in 2014 if necessary...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
Nail Yakupov ($3.775m) / Sam Gagner ($4.000m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.300m)/ Eric Belanger ($1.750m) / Ryan Jones ($1.500m)
Ben Eager ($1.100m)/ Anton Lander ($1.000m) / Teemu Hartikainen ($1.000m)
Lennart Petrell ($0.825m) / Ryan Martindale ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ladislav Smid ($3.800m) / Justin Schultz ($6.000m)
Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Jeff Petry ($3.000m)
Oscar Klefbom ($1.275m) / Mark Fistric ($1.475m)
Martin Marincin ($0.870m) /
GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
Backup Goalie ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $67,800,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,047,500; BONUSES: $3,570,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $11,322,500

As you can see there is a lot of room for changes and upgrades.

Again, this is in part why I do not see the Oilers moving a guy like Paajarvi unless they really like the deal. He will be a cheap player that can fill a fiar number of roles if he keeps progressing.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
ALee10

Gagner and Hemsky come off the books pretty soon too right?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
ALee10

Also, don't forget the cap is dropping to 64M next year and probably lower in the near future.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Honestly there isn't much on Nashville I'd want for Paajarvi. We don't need up and coming D like Josi, Blum or Ellis. We need established defenseman that can play right now.

Klein would be ideal but if I'm Tambo I don't give anything more than Paajarvi for him.
I've always been interested in Austin Watson and he does fit the bill for the kind of player we are missing, I was impressed with his play in last year's OHL playoffs. A 1-for-1 trade doesn't sound that appealing but as a core piece in a bigger deal, I think something could be worked out if we were looking to move Paajarvi.

Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:35 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I've always been interested in Austin Watson and he does fit the bill for the kind of player we are missing, I was impressed with his play in last year's OHL playoffs. A 1-for-1 trade doesn't sound that appealing but as a core piece in a bigger deal, I think something could be worked out if we were looking to move Paajarvi.
Austin Watson is nice, but not enough to give up on Paajarvi for.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Also, don't forget the cap is dropping to 64M next year and probably lower in the near future.
Why would it be lower in the near future. There will be a new Canadian TV deal, attendance has been up and on whole the lockout has not hurt business. Prior to the lockout the NHL had been growing at a double digit rate.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote