HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Is this guy Dirty or what?

Old
07-14-2006, 08:37 AM
habfan4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Zidane is just as bad....he was once suspended 5 games for headbutting while playing for Juventus.... and purposely stomped on an Iranian players back a few world cups back (was suspended too)....

Zidane is just as dirty if not worse.....
It was a Saudi player in the 1998 WC and it wasn't as bad as you are making it sound.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:43 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Materazzi = Claude Lemieux
I think this is a fair analogy, and I would go so far as to say that most Serie A fans (save for those that support Inter-Milan) would agree with it.

On one hand I loathe Materazzi for what he's done on the pitch and on the other he really should be commended for making himself into a decent footballer. For a guy who at one point seemed destined to play in Serie C or B to make Italy's national team is incredible.

Old
07-14-2006, 08:47 AM
bastone

I would have loved to see the reaction if the opposite happened,if Materazzi headbutted Zidane? Oh my mom is a this and my sister is a this let me ruin my carreer!!Please everyone here already made some dumb remarks like that in your life even if it was too your best friend,he could have reacted differently.I think Zidane is lying about all this,because if they ever find out that Materazzi did not say anything bad, Zidane great carreer will be never ever again talked about.Latest I heard was that when Materazzi was holding Zidane shirt,Zidane asked him if he wanted it he would give it to him after the game,Materazzi then answered no you don't even deserve that sweater your not even French. Poor baby gonna cry

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:50 AM
bastone

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
It was a Saudi player in the 1998 WC and it wasn't as bad as you are making it sound.
Why wasen't as bad,because it was Zidane?I don't get it,this stuff should never ever happen just like the Totti incident,there is no place for that in sports

Old
07-14-2006, 08:58 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo_Joe_19 View Post
Why wasen't as bad,because it was Zidane?I don't get it,this stuff should never ever happen just like the Totti incident,there is no place for that in sports
Jumbo,

You've read enough of my posts on this whole thing to know that I'm not making excuses for Zidane head butting Materazzi.

In 1988 the Saudi's were going in for rough tackles all the time. After one such tackle Zidane basically stepped on/fell over on a guy who was trying to play the ball while on the pitch (which we both know is a foul), really in my recollection it wasn't deserving of being sent off.

Old
07-14-2006, 08:59 AM
habfan4

Quote:
I would have loved to see the reaction if the opposite happened,if Materazzi headbutted Zidane? Oh my mom is a this and my sister is a this let me ruin my carreer!!Please everyone here already made some dumb remarks like that in your life even if it was too your best friend,he could have reacted differently.I think Zidane is lying about all this,because if they ever find out that Materazzi did not say anything bad, Zidane great carreer will be never ever again talked about.Latest I heard was that when Materazzi was holding Zidane shirt,Zidane asked him if he wanted it he would give it to him after the game,Materazzi then answered no you don't even deserve that sweater your not even French. Poor baby gonna cry
Just for a moment take Zidane out of the equation and answer me this question. Is Marco Materazzi known for this rough play?

Old
07-14-2006, 08:59 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I didn't know him before the world cup but this Materazzi dude is worse then Tucker! In this clip he actually purposely steps on a players knee!! It made me feel sick when I saw that guys knee bend that way. If that doesn't help end a career, I don't know what does.. Zidane may have been wrong for that head butt, but this guy had it coming!

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/clip+2006/video/350208
Half of that video is the same incident played over and over.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Just for a moment take Zidane out of the equation and answer me this question. Is Marco Materazzi known for this rough play?
Yes. He's a nutcase. That doesn't mean you let it get to you and head butt him in a totally selfish manner.

Old
07-14-2006, 09:01 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Yes. He's a nutcase. That doesn't mean you let it get to you and head butt him in a totally selfish manner.
Don't put words in my mouth.

I have never said it was an excuse for head butting him.

Old
07-14-2006, 09:04 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth.

I have never said it was an excuse for head butting him.
I didn't, just putting it in perspective. Zidane is no angel.

Old
07-14-2006, 09:06 AM
habfan4

Quote:
I didn't, just putting it in perspective. Zidane is no angel.
The inference is pretty clear since I never brought up Zidane.

Besides the thread starter is asking "Is asking is this guy (Materazzi) dirty"? Not is Zidane an angel?

Old
07-14-2006, 09:07 AM
gusfring

Quote:
The inference is pretty clear since I never brought up Zidane.

Besides the thread starter is asking "Is asking is this guy (Materazzi) dirty"? Not is Zidane an angel?
ok, ok, take it easy... yes, Materazzi is known for rough (sometimes dirty) play.

What's the point? Many players are.

Old
07-14-2006, 09:10 AM
bastone

Quote:
Rough play yes,

Zidane ,I guess we all know the answer too

Old
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
habfan4

Quote:
ok, ok, take it easy... yes, Materazzi is known for rough (sometimes dirty) play.

What's the point? Many players are.
No worries, I've just gone to great lengths to distance myself from those who would make Materazzi's reputation an excuse for Zidane's actions.

In terms of the point, you'll have to ask the thread starter. I think most of us knew that Materazzi was not a "Lady Byng" style player before the WC.

Old
07-14-2006, 09:17 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Rough play yes,

Zidane ,I guess we all know the answer too
I'd categorzie Zidane as a hothead as opposed to a rough player. He reacts (badly) but I'd say he's not really known for dangerous challenges or high tackles etc...

Old
07-14-2006, 09:25 AM
gusfring

Quote:
I'd categorzie Zidane as a hothead as opposed to a rough player. He reacts (badly) but I'd say he's not really known for dangerous challenges or high tackles etc...
Agree with that assessment. Not sure which one is worse...

Old
07-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Karl Pilkington

What's suprised me is nobody's put it this way yet:

Zidane is the CAPTAIN of his team, Materazzi is not. Zidane is supposed to display leadership and be a rallying point for all the players on his side. What he did was worse than what Materazzi said for the fact that he made an extremely selfish play.. not the example a captain is supposed to set. A captain puts his team before himself. Zidane did not do that here.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:37 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo View Post

Zidane is the CAPTAIN of his team, Materazzi is not. Zidane is supposed to display leadership and be a rallying point for all the players on his side. What he did was worse than what Materazzi said for the fact that he made an extremely selfish play.. not the example a captain is supposed to set. A captain puts his team before himself. Zidane did not do that here.
This thread started as a question about Materazzi, who had a reputation long before Zidane head butted him. The reaction and disappointment in Zizou's conduct as the captian has been gone over in numerous other threads.

Old
07-14-2006, 09:44 AM
gusfring

Quote:

Well, Zidane doesn't seem to get it since he doesn't regret his action.

He said "If I regretted the action that would mean I condone what he said". he sounds like a baby...

Old
07-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
This thread started as a question about Materazzi, who had a reputation long before Zidane head butted him. The reaction and disappointment in Zizou's conduct as the captian has been gone over in numerous other threads.
None that I've seen - but if you're saying they exist I believe you.

And I've read this thread post-by-post... it started off as a question of Materazzi's reputation (which I'm well aware of), but turned into a debate over who was worse. I was just getting in my two cents.

It's also good to point out here once again that Zidane also has a reputation prior to this incident of losing his cool.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:51 AM
habfan4

Quote:
None that I've seen - but if you're saying they exist I believe you.

And I've read this thread post-by-post... it started off as a question of Materazzi's reputation (which I'm well aware of), but turned into a debate over who was worse. I was just getting in my two cents.

It's also good to point out here once again that Zidane also has a reputation prior to this incident of losing his cool.
I have no problems with most of this. Although I did not bring Zidane into the discussion and it don't really see the relevance (it is possible to discuss Materazzi without talking about Zidane).

Saying Zizou is a hothead is stating the obvious IMO, Zidane earned his reputation as a hothead, you can't head butt an opponent in Champions League and then the WC Final without having that label correctly applied to you.

Old
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Habnot

I have lost all respect for Zidane. He let his team down in the most critical time to take care of his personal issues. He is the embodiment of a selfish player. In addition, he cannot even apologize and take responsibility. Talk about being a role model for kids, don't take responsibility and blame the other guy. When he said punish the real culprit, one who provokes, I nearly tossed my cookies. Seriously, someone that has been in elite sports for so many years as Zidane we are supposed to believe that he has never trashed talked or been provoked? He just lost it, period, just like Totti did in 2004. At least Totti had the decency to own up to it and apologize.

As for Materazzi, he was true to character a bit on the wild side. But what an influence he had on the tournament. Two crucial goals, a perfect penalty and stellar play on the back end for most of the tournament. For someone the British press had a field day making fun early in the competition, he sure shut alot of pundits up.

Forza Materazzi
Grazia Italia
Campioni dell'mondo 2006

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Anthony P

Quote:
I have no problems with most of this. Although I did not bring Zidane into the discussion and it don't really see the relevance (it is possible to discuss Materazzi without talking about Zidane).

Saying Zizou is a hothead is stating the obvious IMO, Zidane earned his reputation as a hothead, you can't head butt an opponent in Champions League and then the WC Final without having that label correctly applied to you.

The original poster did not know that Zidane is also known for being a *****.... Zidane is not a clean player by no stretch of the imagination.... Materazzi insulted him..... big *****, it happens all the time in sports.... the fact that Zidane reacted the way he did demonstrates my point.... that Zidane is a *****....

Materazzi is a ***** too.... he's been a dirty player in his career.... but what he did was not dirty and Zidane's reaction cannot be justified.... the mere fact that people keep trying to find excuses for Zidane is just sad.... none of these players deserve anything from the fans.... not one thing....

I've made my point that Zidane is not a clean player.... and that's where it ends for me.... too many sour grapes going around on boards these days....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:33 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
The original poster did not know that Zidane is also known for being a *****.... Zidane is not a clean player by no stretch of the imagination.... Materazzi insulted him..... big *****, it happens all the time in sports.... the fact that Zidane reacted the way he did demonstrates my point.... that Zidane is a *****....

Materazzi is a ***** too.... he's been a dirty player in his career.... but what he did was not dirty and Zidane's reaction cannot be justified.... the mere fact that people keep trying to find excuses for Zidane is just sad.... none of these players deserve anything from the fans.... not one thing....

I've made my point that Zidane is not a clean player.... and that's where it ends for me.... too many sour grapes going around on boards these days....
The original poster wasn't asking about Zidane, but obviously you wouldn't let that deter you from making your over the top rant.

BTW: If you had taken the time to read any of my posts on this subject you'd realize what a complete crock of **** the bolded part of you post is.

Congrats you are the first person to make my ignore list.

Old
07-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I didn't know him before the world cup but this Materazzi dude is worse then Tucker! In this clip he actually purposely steps on a players knee!! It made me feel sick when I saw that guys knee bend that way. If that doesn't help end a career, I don't know what does.. Zidane may have been wrong for that head butt, but this guy had it coming!

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/clip+2006/video/350208

Quit your damn whinning....I'm sick of heariing about this now. Tell me something why wasn't there an investigation when Totti spat on a player in the last world cup in 2002....He must of been provoked.....No matter what was said to Zidane...Zidane lost his cool and was red carded. Face it getting under your opponents skin is part of professional sports always has ans always will be.
Zidane should have never been awarded the golden Ball by the way....How do you give him the golden? In the first two games Zidane does nothing to help his team win as France tied both of them 0-0 and 1-1 I believe....Zidane scored a total of 3 goals this tournament ...All on penalty shots...and lets not forget the only prelimary game France won Zidane was not part of as he had been yellow causioned twice before, that's right Zidane had a total of two yellows and two reds in this tournament and you talk to me about how dirty Materazzi is! LOL....

The only reason Zidane is getting all of this attention and the benefit of the doubt is because of his retirement. Over his carrer Zidane is one the most carded players inthe world!

RANT OVER

ITALY WORLD CHAMPIONS and deservingly so!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote