Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horak & Jones assigned to Abbotsford; Aliu recalled

Old
02-21-2013, 07:24 PM
LukeD
On Fire

vCash: 500

Sigh, this will change nothing. A minor leaguer who may bring a bit of energy, but now we have even less centres.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:31 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Who will we have as centre's now? Will Cervenka try it out?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Flames92

I have no problem with calling up Aliu, but what is going on at the center position? We got Stajan.. Then I guess Tanguay.. Who's the third center Cervenka? He prefers the wing but he's going to be shoved at center? Very strange move.. I was thinking maybe they would call back Street or something but who knows

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
MarkGio

He put up some goals last time so maybe he's some weird hockey anomaly whereby he sucks in every league except the biggest stages

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Stajan, Cervenka, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Iginla could all technically play centre.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Stajan, Cervenka, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Iginla could all technically play centre.
and Comeau

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:01 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
They could technically, but are they any good at centre? I'd say no to at least 2, maybe three that you listed.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Flamer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Well this is obviously not a move based on performance at the AHL level, but more so an attempt to fill a glaring need on this sad sack roster. I have expressed my displeasure's with Aliu's game in the past so I don't need to keep pounding on the guy, but I just cant see how he is the solution.

Either way, I hope he brings what the team is looking for and can become a consistent role player for us moving forward.
I guess management was just as embarrassed as I was last night when a King's player leveled Mcdonald and all the Flames stood around scratching their heads. I could not believe nobody did anything about it. Maybe they are hoping Aliu will have more guts than the guys that were dressed last night.

Flamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamer12 View Post
I guess management was just as embarrassed as I was last night when a King's player leveled Mcdonald and all the Flames stood around scratching their heads. I could not believe nobody did anything about it. Maybe they are hoping Aliu will have more guts than the guys that were dressed last night.
The damage is kind of already done though if we have to call up a guy like Aliu because we got embarrassed like that...

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

I've been suggesting bringing Aliu up for a while now. Glad to see it finally done.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
I've been suggesting bringing Aliu up for a while now. Glad to see it finally done.
You and your dad are like the Miss Cleo and Nostradamus of Flames hockey

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Volica

Thank God!
Akim Aliu! Minus two Centers!

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:19 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I understand that, but he doesn't play that role consistently (even at the AHL level).
He will fit in then if he isn't consistent. Seriously he will see 5 minutes a night this solely about trying to get tougher I wish he was in the lineup against LA.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Aliu took Jackman's spot. He was terrible lastnight.
I went to the Dallas game and Jackman was garbage...I dont know what is his value to the team.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
I went to the Dallas game and Jackman was garbage...I dont know what is his value to the team.
Supposed to be our main fighter but hes not very good at it....

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Noori

vCash: 700
Should have traded him at last year's deadline when teams were asking about him. Instead, we sign him to a multiyear deal.

The Calgary Flames: where putting up 1 goal in almost a full season gets you multiple years on your next contract.

And yes I know the cap-hit is low, but what leverage did Jackman have that got him a multiyear deal? In fact, what leverage did Jones and Comeau have that they were also offered multiyear deals (praise sweet baby jesus Comeau wanted a one year deal). One is Abbotsford and the other is a steaming pile of garbage.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Part of me hopes that Aliu sucks simply so the stupid amount of hype he had on this board during the lockout/offseason dies a quick and painful death.

He hasn't performed at the AHL level, I don't see how he will at the NHL. I'd rather see a guy like Reinhart get a cup of coffee. Makes me miss Bouma that much more.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
As an overager, I think he will be a solid 3rd line winger one day.
i've been in love with ferlands game since he was drafted, i think he has 2nd line potential but if he does become a 3rd liner i'd imagine it would be a 30 point winger with physical game

ANYWHO on to Aliu... he might do really well in Hartleys system

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
I understand the Aliu call up was to add some modicum of truculence to the team, but I can't help but wonder if the demotions of Jones and Horak are Feaster's subtle way of saying 'screw it, lets tank'. No GM could be that stupid to think having one natural centre on the roster, and that centre being Matt Stajan, is a recipe for success. Or a recipe for anything but a lottery pick. Especially when the key to success in the NHL is having strength, size and skill down the middle.

Last edited by Calculon: 02-22-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
DBU
Hoss Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
I understand the Aliu call up was to add some modicum of truculence to the team, but I can't help but wonder if the demotions of Jones and Hroak are Feaster's subtle way of saying 'screw it, lets tank'. No GM could be that stupid to think having one natural centre on the roster, and that centre being Matt Stajan, is a recipe for success. Or a recipe for anything but a lottery pick. Especially when the key to success in the NHL is having strength, size and skill down the middle.
Maybe. It's a big risk though. But maybe. Who really knows though.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:35 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I understand the Aliu call up was to add some modicum of truculence to the team, but I can't help but wonder if the demotions of Jones and Hroak are Feaster's subtle way of saying 'screw it, lets tank'. No GM could be that stupid to think having one natural centre on the roster, and that centre being Matt Stajan, is a recipe for success. Or a recipe for anything but a lottery pick. Especially when the key to success in the NHL is having strength, size and skill down the middle.
This is genius when the owners look at the roster they will see names like Cammy,Iggy,Tangs,Hudler etc and think we are trying to win but really Feaster is tanking so that even when Kipper comes back we will be so out of the playoff race the ownership will ask to move the vets as they aren't working. This is Sith Lord type of thinking.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:00 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 862
Quote:
Or maybe its a simple statement of you guys all play like ******* so were bringing up Aliu.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
He will fit in then if he isn't consistent. Seriously he will see 5 minutes a night this solely about trying to get tougher I wish he was in the lineup against LA.
Trust me, I get it. I understand exactly why Aliu was called up but I just don't like that we are in the position to have to make these moves when players have not earned the opportunity.

In my honest opinion Blair Jones is 10x the player that Aliu is. They both have a pest like vibe to them, but the only difference being that Aliu can occasionally stand up for his teammates. Nevermind the fact that Jones is a harder worker, a center with decent faceoff skills, and is more offensively skilled.

Either way this bickering is moot . If Tim Jackman would do his god damn job then we would not be having this conversation in the first place. What a liability he has turned into.

I know it seems as if I have a grudge against Aliu, but I would like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. I just don't think he can solve any issues that we currently have for an extended period of time.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
This is genius when the owners look at the roster they will see names like Cammy,Iggy,Tangs,Hudler etc and think we are trying to win but really Feaster is tanking so that even when Kipper comes back we will be so out of the playoff race the ownership will ask to move the vets as they aren't working. This is Sith Lord type of thinking.

"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it."

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:37 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it."
I just lost my **** that is amazing.